Help

glw

Moving to Chiang Mai in 9 DAYS!!. Need advice on finding an appartment/house/room for rent, a computer, a cell phone, a bicycle, a motorbike, and a possible second job on the weekends. Not looking to spend more than 3,000 BHT per/month on rent. Any other bits of wisdom are welcome too. Anything, that you think might help the transition go more smoothly. Anything that I can/should do here in the states before leaving, etc., etc. Thanks

-GLW

Moving to Chiang Mai in 9 DAYS!!. Need advice on finding an appartment/house/room for rent, a computer, a cell phone, a bicycle, a motorbike, and a possible second job on the weekends. Not looking to spend more than 3,000 BHT per/month on rent. Any other bits of wisdom are welcome too. Anything, that you think might help the transition go more smoothly. Anything that I can/should do here in the states before leaving, etc., etc. Thanks

-GLW

One bit of advice: Make sure you have a visa before you arrive.

-GLW

One bit of advice: Make sure you have a visa before you arrive.

And how about a work permit ??

-GLW

Accommodation – vast selection available. Search the forum for lots of recent recommendations.

Cell phone – many shops selling these. Try Airport Plaza or Central department store for a huge selection. If you have one already bring it with you and buy a new sim card and it will probably work.

Bicycle – no idea but there was a recent thread on them here in the CM forum.

Motorbike – only recommended for experienced drivers. Lots of dealers around town.

What job will you be doing and do you have a visa?

Second job? Sounds like you don’t have enough money and if that’s case then it’s probably better for you stay in the States and save up until you do have enough to visit. Not flaming only advice

you cannot work in Thailand without a work permit and a non immigrant b visa. Lots of room for 3000baht if you want to live like a Thai.

9 days and you are just asking now, that is leaving it a little short. :o

Some one has stated make sure you get your visa in order before you travel. As for mobile phones try Kad Suan Kaew on Huaykaew Road all the baht bus/tuk tuk drivers know it.

-GLW

BTW, why the rush?

It seems to me a bit more research/homework might stand you in good stead before you come.

Also, please be careful on 2 wheels, I know of two deaths in the last week on the roads. MY g/f lost her father and brother through separate road accidents. My advice is, stick to a meaty 4x4; you have a greater chance of walking away.

Take care

Edited by Markymark

-GLW

BTW, why the rush?

It seems to me a bit more research/homework might stand you in good stead before you come.

Also, please be careful on 2 wheels, I know of two deaths in the last week on the roads. MY g/f lost her father and brother through separate road accidents. My advice is, stick to a meaty 4x4; you have a greater chance of walking away.

Take care

Actually, saloon cars provide greater protection in accidents than big 4X4s - meaty or otherwise!

-GLW

BTW, why the rush?

Take care

most people on two wheels die cause of being drunk! i don't think its that bad the way people make it seem about riding bikes.

-GLW

Sounds like you need someone to wipe your bottom as well!!

-GLW

Sounds like you need someone to wipe your bottom as well!!

Wipe?? Gone only a couple of days and you've forgotten the good old bum hose already!

JxP

:o

most people on two wheels die cause of being drunk! i don't think its that bad the way people make it seem about riding bikes.

All the people who I knew who died on 2 wheels in LOS were NOT drunk - the other driver who killed them might have been.

And, BTW, the accidents I refer to happened in the morning when the poor souls were on their way to work.

All the people who I knew who died on 2 wheels in LOS were NOT drunk - the other driver who killed them might have been.

And, BTW, the accidents I refer to happened in the morning when the poor souls were on their way to work.

bad riding skills then. can't count the number of times i've seen bikers swirve in and out of traffic without usage of mirrors, no lights, no helmets, no nothing. i think riding responsibely is the way to do it. (with utmost alert on traffic surroundings)

bad riding skills then. can't count the number of times i've seen bikers swirve in and out of traffic without usage of mirrors, no lights, no helmets, no nothing. i think riding responsibely is the way to do it. (with utmost alert on traffic surroundings)

Don't know, I was not a witness, and therefore not able to comment on their standard of driving. In one accident, the truck that crushed the biker failed to stop, though the driver was later traced and arrested. I think the Police blamed the truck driver for the accident in actual fact.

Anyway, back to my point, enjoy Chiang Mai GLW, but take care on the roads, especially if you are on two wheels. No matter how good a driver/rider you think you are, you cannot always anticipate what Thai drivers are going to do; and I speak as someone who pretty much has stopped using a bike in LOS after some Thai guy nearly wiped me out with his pickup. IMHO.

Edited by Markymark

• 2 weeks later...

-GLW

:o

Time up GLW you are here now.

How did you get on in the first couple of days?

What answers have you to your questions?