Immigration Office In Chiang Rai?

DFCarlson

I am in Thailand on a one year retirement visa. I live in Chiang Kham, and I did my first time 90 day report in Bangkok because I happened to be there at the right time to meet a friend from the States who had come to Bangkok on vacation.

I prefer to do this report in person rather than by mail, but a trip to Bangkok is a long way to go just to do a 90 day report. I could go to Chiang Mai, but if there is an immigration office in Chiang Rai that would be a lot closer. Is there an immigration office in Chiang Rai? If so, where is it located? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

Mae Sai. On the left (west) soon after you enter town (a few hundred meters after the stop-light where you can turn toward the Golden Triangle and Chiang Saen).

Scuttlebut is that it's best to ask for Khun Dorn, but all folk there have proved nice in my experience (fairly lengthy).

Mae Sai. On the left (west) soon after you enter town (a few hundred meters after the stop-light where you can turn toward the Golden Triangle and Chiang Saen).

Scuttlebut is that it's best to ask for Khun Dorn, but all folk there have proved nice in my experience (fairly lengthy).

Yes, that's the place. I always forget if it is ten meters after the first or second fly-over for pedestrians. Anyhow, it is the fly-over with the luxuriant decorations.

The notification of 90 days stay can also sent by post. When you go first time the officer will give you the forms to do so. You have to add a photocopy of some relevant pages of your passport and a stamped envelope with your adress on it.

Be aware: every day too late means a fine of 500 Baht.

Happy travel,

Limbo :o

Edited by Limbo

You have to add a photocopy of some relevant pages of your passport and a stamped envelope with your adress on it.

Are you sure you are not confusing that with overstay which is 500 Baht/day. My understanding it is a 2000 Baht penalty for late 90 day reporting.

Last time I was up there I asked if I should send a copy of my passport when I did my 90-days report. No, not needed they said.

But remember stamped returnenvelope!

Yes, the penalty is 2000 bath!

You have to add a photocopy of some relevant pages of your passport and a stamped envelope with your adress on it.

Are you sure you are not confusing that with overstay which is 500 Baht/day. My understanding it is a 2000 Baht penalty for late 90 day reporting.

Last time I was up there I asked if I should send a copy of my passport when I did my 90-days report. No, not needed they said.

But remember stamped returnenvelope!

Yes, the penalty is 2000 bath!

Do you have to send the stamped return envelope. I was never informed of this?

I have to send my first one next month.

In The Rai!

Do you have to send the stamped return envelope. I was never informed of this?

I have to send my first one next month.

I sent one without returnenvelope and it was working. I did not receive the receipt that says that your report has arrived. Next time I went to Immigration myself and they said "If you want the receipt then you must include a stamped returnenvelope".

So write your address on the returnenvelope, put a couple of Thai stamps on and include that one in your envelope addressed to the Immigration.

Easy!

:o:D:D:D

There is absolutely no harm in sending in your 90 day notice form to the nearest immigration. There is no need to go in person. A few days early or late is never an issue, as long as the gerneral area is there. This is important if you wish to renew a one year visa of several sorts. When applying, immigration may request to see your receipts, so save them. If you don't have them, they will check their records to be sure, and if they can't find you in the books, expect a 2000 baht fine, depending on the friendly officer taking care of you. Some have been let off with warnings. Don't expect it.

As for sending the ninety day form, you can send it easily to Mae Sai immigration, who are the only ones in Chiang Rai able to renew one year visas, I beleive, don't quote me. Mae Sai has an immingration office as opposed to immigration border checkpoints. But you must send a SASE with it. (Self Addressed Stamped Envelope). They always return it within a few days.

If you ever forget and it's well late, send it anyway. It never hurts. And send the following on the regular schedule. Think of it like taking a dose of medicine. If you miss a dose........

Mae Sai Immigration is almost always friendly and helpful. If everyone can return the favor, let's keep our Immigration staff on our good side. Dress decent and smile.

Goes a long way here.......

CRG

• 1 month later...

:o

Thanks to all for your information. Since I had never been to Mae Sai I drove up yesterday to do my 90 day report. There was only one other "customer" in the building and I was in and out in about 10 minutes. Everyone was helpful and friendly.

The office is reasonably easy to find. If you drive up on the main road from Chiang Rai, just after you pass the intersection woith Route 1290 you will see a large green sign on your left. Turn left into the driveway just after the sign and park on the left. The immigration office is a short walk farhter on the right.

I have attached a few photos showing the road sign, the driveway entrance and the office itself.

Thanks again! In January when I return for my next 90 day report, I will ask if this office does one year extensions for retirement visa (I forgot to ask on this trip) and what their requirements are.

post-34137-1161929212_thumb.jpg

post-34137-1161929234_thumb.jpg

post-34137-1161929258_thumb.jpg

:D

Thanks again! In January when I return for my next 90 day report, I will ask if this office does one year extensions for retirement visa (I forgot to ask on this trip) and what their requirements are.

Yes, they do. I have been going there for years and I got my last year extension last Monday.

My last non-immigrant-o visa is about eight years old.

Thanks for your feedback!

Limbo :o