Disgusting Toilet in Crowded Farang Watering Hole

Went to a cluster of bars a few blocks inside the old town. It seems to be the number one hangout for young foreign tourists. The prices range from reasonable to expensive...and the place gets literally packed. I asked about using the toilet, and there was a bar across the narrow path from the dancing area, that, I was told, was available for use.

What a horrendous experience that was. There was a young foreign lady trying to use a stall, and she was not impressed at all. The odor was similar to what one would expect if you locked a hundred cats inside a small kitchen for two weeks. Urine was all over the walls and floors. The actual urinal was made of rough cement....and had no running water.

I would say that the surrounding bars were serving hundreds of customers...at a minimum of 60 baht a beer. Seems to me that a cleaning lady, during peak hours, would only cost 300 baht a night. Better yet....decent, clean toilets should be a requirement...as people evidently preferred to piss outside, than walk into that cesspit facility.

Anyone have any clue to why toilet facilities in that popular area are so primitive and unclean? I will not name the area...several bars...but I think they all fall under one name.....

Had a nice time, otherwise. Just was thinking why they don't invest in a proper toilet facility. I have seen extremely clean, and proper, facilities all over Thailand. This was the worst.

The problem with drinking at Sukhumvit late night street bars, is that there are no toilet facities.

The once popular one at the end of S.15 arranged to have set-up a mixed-sex portaloo nearby.

The same problem you mentioned. It wasn't cleaned much and most of us returned to peeing in the pile of brickwork opposite.

It is actually easier for men in such situations, I do not envy the ladies.

Having said all that, the quality of toileting facilities in the country as a whole is abysmal and we have all probably experienced some absolute sh-te holes. I find not being able to flush toilet paper the worst problem. Those little bins stink incessantly.

In many, many Isaan houses as well.

Oh well, it's bound to improve and in truth some of the facilities in top class Bangkok hotels are outstanding.

On Soi 13 sukhumvit at one outside bar they had a piece of plywood you held with one hand well you did your business gave little privacy. Was funny to watch the girls use. I feel if they see no need to spend the money for upgrade it willnot happen.

They will maybe get it cleaned next year on shit house cleansing day when all public conveniences are cleaned so it will smell fresh for at least one day rather than that normal Thai toilet ammonia scent.

Archived