Widespread public support for farang woman denounced by Thai press

Thaivisa News

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Common people....

It is all about culture, location, education, perception. you name it.....Common sense needs to apply.

Anything not common will creates critics and emotions in any country....

Here...most small children play naked on the streets, on beaches, everywhere, with their parents at sight or not....No problems at all....

In the US.....let your own children play naked on your own garden...in public view...and you may end in jail.

Having been here for a while- yes on the beach , or by the pool, never seen a naked kid on a street- but that's not important .

I've seen some very creepy guys down at the beach in Jomtien- ( I'm a totally not violent person - but threatened to smash one guy's face in and call the police) you only need a smart phone and those images can be posted for ever.

That's what has changed.

Anyway back to the OP- it's a pretty modest bikini - if she was wearing a 1 sq inch thong - which you see on the beach then there might be a problem.

( why men wear thongs with their skinny wrinkled backsides hanging out I have no idea- I try to grow old with grace and style! )

I read this on the sanuk "news" website last night. I am far more shocked that she used that water for bathing than her skimpy attire. I hope she took a bath after she took a bath.

She's acting inappropriately, so she deserves people's disapproval. I don't see where the Songkran comparison comes in, it wasn't songkran, so the attire and activity where and when she did it were out of line with acceptable behavior. It bewilders me how common sense escapes people when they visit countries that are foreign to them. I am most of all, though, bewildered by people who defend such behavior.

Ok, all that said, it's really not that big a deal... it's worth a roll of the eyes and a sour face of disapproval. Jop.

While the Manager did a lot good jobs in the past, sometimes they really lose the connection to the reality.

If she would be topless we could discuss about it....I wouldn't have a problem with it, and actually old Thailand wouldn't have a problem with it, but we could discuss if it is really necessary. But she on the picture has normal swimming clothes...so what is the problem?

The problem is Thailand's inbuilt nationalism and racism!

Patriotism, is loyalty to real estate!

Bejesus! I seen, what I assume Burmese construction workers strip down to their boxers and have a bath in that water after work! Still prostitution, poor standard of education, shoddy health care system. Non existent social security and pension. Horrible record on human rights and human trafficking, close to zero on employment rights! corrupt government that is often over thrown by a military coup every few years, one of the worse rates of mortality on local roads (air safety aint that great lately!). One of the worse records for domestic violence, horrendous news all the time of child molestation by locals on locals minors and the Thai press want to cause a furore about a western girl wearing a bikini next to the local canal! - go figure!

Headline troll. A transparent attempt to make something innocent a big deal. A behaviour that spares the lazy correspondent the trouble of getting off their backside and searching out something important. Good on the local Thais for calling them out on this.

"speechless" huh,I once told some architects their price was ridiculous, I got an e mail back saying how ALL the staff there were

" speechless". at my comments...........personally Id say they spent their whole lives being told they were incredible or something, maybe the truth came as a shock.

Got the work done for a third the price in the end

...and how is your comment related to the subject matter?

"speechless" huh,I once told some architects their price was ridiculous, I got an e mail back saying how ALL the staff there were

" speechless". at my comments...........personally Id say they spent their whole lives being told they were incredible or something, maybe the truth came as a shock.

I want to print this and frame it .. it is Thai Visa all in one comment.

How the <deleted> did we get from Bikini scandal to your personal problems?

Has it really come to picking out one word in an entire article, and then going off on a merry goose chase with it?

Amazing farang. "All about you."

Thanks for the laugh. Really.

Thru "speechless"tongue.png

...and how is your comment related to the subject matter?

See above

I seem to remember the 16th century Thai women's national dress code????? a wrap a round???

It was only about 80 years ago they were walking round with their jugs out.......................... The govt had to issue a poster ( seen it on a tv thread form a long time ago somewhere) to show them how to dress like westerners........................ huh Im "speechless" again

ok heres the link all ti*s until the 1940's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_cultural_mandates

...but co-ed gals from CMU wearing skirts up to just below their genitals and skin tight blouses are -- very socially acceptable. Farang though! They just have no respect for Thai social mores.

Funny how people can be so hypocryte when they have the chance to do so...

Thais should look at soi cowboy or nana plaza first, before bashing on a normal person doing nothing wrong.

They don't need to go there. Just walk down any street and any shopping mall and half the women are wearing sex clothes. Short skirts, tight tops, four inch F*** Me pumps.

Half the Thai women dress like sluts anyway even if they are not selling. I'd say western dress is much more conservative than the average Thai girl's dress.

Your welcome to say it:

"western dress is much more conservative than the average Thai girl's dress."

But you are dead wrong.

Not sure if your impression of the Thai dress code is via after hour party sois ... or the endless stream of perfectly clean, meticulously dressed office girls etc who crowd the BTS daily. Thia girls are modest, and I challenge you to show me one "nice" office type who is not dressed in a reserved, very pretty way.

Let em tell ya, American girls with their fat asses and bluejeans can not hold a candle to Thia girls .. and at night in the USA , they ALL dress like hookers. And not attractive hookers .. cheap street walkers.

It is embarrassing to see a sloppy American girl plodding down the street in her flip flops, cut off jeans, and "not leaving much to the imagination" tank top.

Pretty sad when compared to a 44 kilo Thai beauty in her nice work dress and high heels.

...and her university counterpart with her high-heels, tight-dress cut up to just below her buttocks, and the slit in the skirt to make is just a little more revealing and easier to wedge her body into. Conservative? I've seen hookers dress just about like some of the women I've seen coming out of office buildings. I think your issue is about fat, not dress standards. BTW, if you're a farang, how overweight are you?

Over the years I have seem both many Thais and farangs slashing about in that canal, even children.

During the late hours, if strolling along the banks of the canal, you can`t fail to see the plagues of rats scurrying around the area. There are no ways that I would ever consider swimming in the moat. It`s a serious health risk, as who knows what kinds of diseases are lurking about in that water.

emm, no comment

About the other things that go on in there, but good luck to anyone who really wants to go and swim in it, they must be brave !!!

Not brave, rather stupid.

The waters in that canal are absolutely loaded with heterophyid metacercariae, a parasite of fish that infects humans.

I would never even go near the canal during water festival for fear that someone would throw a bucket of canal water on me. The tiniest drop that finds it's way into your mouth and you will become infected.

Interestingly some people believe, and it may be true, that a component of coconut oil acts as an inhibitor of this parasite. It may be true because many kids swim in the canal and one does not hear a lot about parasite infected children.

If interested search with the above terms and Chiang mai, you'll find actual research data.

As far as the bikini. If a person comes to a main beach, for instance one near Boston, MA and goes naked, they'll be arrested on the spot EVEN if that's the norm in her country. When in Rome do as the Romans, when in Thailand do as the Thais do, and the Thais do not wear bikinis in Chiang mai.

Just my two cents, or rather two metacercariae.

Thais should look at soi cowboy or nana plaza first, before bashing on a normal person doing nothing wrong.

They don't need to go there. Just walk down any street and any shopping mall and half the women are wearing sex clothes. Short skirts, tight tops, four inch F*** Me pumps.

Half the Thai women dress like sluts anyway even if they are not selling. I'd say western dress is much more conservative than the average Thai girl's dress.

Your welcome to say it:

But you are dead wrong.

Not sure if your impression of the Thai dress code is via after hour party sois ... or the endless stream of perfectly clean, meticulously dressed office girls etc who crowd the BTS daily. Thia girls are modest, and I challenge you to show me one "nice" office type who is not dressed in a reserved, very pretty way.

Let em tell ya, American girls with their fat asses and bluejeans can not hold a candle to Thia girls .. and at night in the USA , they ALL dress like hookers. And not attractive hookers .. cheap street walkers.

It is embarrassing to see a sloppy American girl plodding down the street in her flip flops, cut off jeans, and "not leaving much to the imagination" tank top.

Pretty sad when compared to a 44 kilo Thai beauty in her nice work dress and high heels.

...and her university counterpart with her high-heels, tight-dress cut up to just below her buttocks, and the slit in the skirt to make is just a little more revealing and easier to wedge her body into. Conservative? I've seen hookers dress just about like some of the women I've seen coming out of office buildings. I think your issue is about fat, not dress standards. BTW, if you're a farang, how overweight are you?

I believe the topic is about "western dress is much more conservative than the average Thai girl's dress."

This is an absurd conversation, unless you are legally blind.

Sorry the sight of a hot coed disturbs you.

Me thinks thou protests too loudly sir.

I'm gay but gotta agree with

Your welcome to say it:

But you are dead wrong.

I'm British and gay: but gotta agree with "But you are dead wrong"

It's an over-reaction for sure, but I think it is a matter of everything in its right place. If what goes on at Nana or Cowboy (or the now forgotten Patpong) was in the middle of a posh shopping plaza like Emporium there would probably be an outcry. Bikini in the middle of a city is maybe analogous. Personally, I am more shocked that she would think swimming in the canal was evenly remotely healthy. Is she out of her mind?

Another non story from Thailand so the manager would need to scream as no one would be interested or listening. if it had been 200 years ago might have been interesting but not in 2015.

Another non story from Thailand so the manager would need to scream as no one would be interested or listening. if it had been 200 years ago might have been interesting but not in 2015.

In Thailand 200 years ago, they lived almost tribal lifestyles in the outer villages and most Thai women went about topless.

In Thailand 200 years ago, they lived almost tribal lifestyles in the outer villages and most Thai women went about topless.

Later than that in the late 1930's as can be witnessed by my post on the new dress code "enforced"

emm, no comment

good culture of chaing mai people? do you mean the cat houses all over the place? the bars where thai women wear nothing at all? the corruption of the police? the "lady" boy areas where some falang and thai men go? is that the Thai culture you are reffering to?

I love Thailand - Where else in the world would a tourist in a bikini be news!!

On a more serious note I bet the old coggers down at the Ministry of Culture are getting themselves into a right tizz over this. Not the woman in a bikini so much, but the support she's been getting from Thai bloggers.

Did I miss something ?

Some comments speak of bathing in the water. The farang lady is on the bank, not in the water.

And ggt speaks of "bathing on the ban....". That activity is known as sun bathing.

References are continually made to "bikini". Her swim suit that she is wearing for sun bathing on the bank looks more like a 2-piece to me, not skimpy like a bikini.

I love Thailand - Where else in the world would a tourist in a bikini be news!!

On a more serious note I bet the old coggers down at the Ministry of Culture are getting themselves into a right tizz over this. Not the woman in a bikini so much, but the support she's been getting from Thai bloggers. uality

Well they have to make someone look bad... They've just elevated the status of the Chinese to quality tourists.

Archived