Widespread public support for farang woman denounced by Thai press

Thaivisa News

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai people complain about a girl in a very not skimpy bikini but not see naked Thia in mote. Just goes to prove that some Thais hate farangs. No ladies dressed properly and you might lose your job. There are a lot of Thai racists in this country. They come to enjoy because Thai is a land of a thousand smiles. Maybe the one who complain is fat and ugly!

Odd that said offended contributors to Manager are not as offended by the Thai men only wearing cheap undies who can often be seen net fishing in the moat. Of course the Thai men in undies would not cause most said offended male readers of the Manager to get an instant erection in public, which is the real reason they are upset, the loss of face as they are forced to readjust. I for one yearn the days when unexpectedly seeing a woman in a two-piece bathing suit could cause me some minor arousal, and that is about the only thing that I can recall that I imagine that I miss of my days at 13 years of age.

just another about Thai not like falang do what Thai do thing

...lucky she not falang driving down wrong side of road on motorbike - that is same big news too

No it isn't. I see it all the time and just like no one cares when a Thai motorcycle or scooter rider goes down the wrong side of the road, no one cares when it's a "farang" either. Besides, road rule enforcement in Thailand is practically non-existent as we all know. No action is taken by anyone to stop this madness and no one wants to step up to the plate to tell the idiots who do this that they are stupid and their actions may kill them or others.

I love Thailand - Where else in the world would a tourist in a bikini be news!!

On a more serious note I bet the old coggers down at the Ministry of Culture are getting themselves into a right tizz over this. Not the woman in a bikini so much, but the support she's been getting from Thai bloggers. uality

Well they have to make someone look bad... They've just elevated the status of the Chinese to quality tourists.

You mean the one middle aged Chinese lady who took a dump in the very same canal last year?

Have you ever noticed how the news media decides it's going to speak for the general public:

Tag lines like: Bikini clan women seen bathing in moat. Residents Shocked!!!!!!

Personally, main stream news media are sensationalistic bottom feeders at best. Whenever I hear that the general population is "Shocked" or "Outraged" or "Mortified" or any other crap that is being projected on the local citizens by the tabloids, I basically call BS on it. Since when the hell does a newspaper get to project to the world about how I or any other group of people feel on a subject - unless they have taken the time to conduct a valid, scientific survey, which they have not. What they are really saying is that they need a way to impose their own spin and prejudges on a story to project emotions on the public, so they can sell their pablum to a dumbed-down public who sucks such nonsense up. "SSSLLUUUURRPP"

No newspaper speaks for me or anyone else. You want to know how I feel about it. Ask me. "Shocked" or "Outraged" or "Mortified" means nothing but, "Let's find a way to sell copy." It's all bunk. It's an opinion piece framed as reality. Stupid people buy into it -- and Lord only knows there are disproportionate number of stupid people lining up for their plate of 'gossip gruel' on a daily basis. thumbsup.gif

Pathetic the shame Thai culture puts on nudity. Reminds me of the West in 1800's where an exposed female ankle was an invitation to sex. This is 21st century!

Agreed. Obviously nobody studies history anymore. I'd post the pictures of the Thai women sporting their everyday clothing back in the 1700 and 1800s, but I'm sure the plethora of photos of women with bare breasts would not make it past TV forum rules and moderation. But feel free to do an internet search yourself.

Covering breasts is Christian-based, Western morality that was embraced by a certain segment of Thai society and then imposed on the lowly masses. Want to see real Thai culture? Go to the Walking Street markets and find painted pictures of bare-breasted Thai beauties, and bare-breasted men to boot. That was Thai culture. And do internet searches regarding Thai clothing pre-1800s and you'll find the photos to match the pictures. And by the way -- it's still practiced in the more remote hill tribes even today.

Odd that said offended contributors to Manager are not as offended by the Thai men only wearing cheap undies who can often be seen net fishing in the moat. Of course the Thai men in undies would not cause most said offended male readers of the Manager to get an instant erection in public, which is the real reason they are upset, the loss of face as they are forced to readjust. I for one yearn the days when unexpectedly seeing a woman in a two-piece bathing suit could cause me some minor arousal, and that is about the only thing that I can recall that I imagine that I miss of my days at 13 years of age.

Today I was walking around my apartment building in my button-up boxer shorts with sandals -- that was it -- oh, and sunglasses, Lol. Nobody blinked an eye. Not the Thai managers, not the Thai woman building owner, not the Thai residents, nobody. Why? Because a vast number of the Thai men including the manager walk around the building dressed-down exactly the same. Cotton shorts and maybe sandals. FYI, there are no farang where I live. Men walk around shirtless in Thailand, especially around their own places of business and residences. I love the farang that spout off that "you're disrespecting the conservative dress standards of the the Thai people." I don't know where these moralistic pillars of farang society live at, but they don't live where I've live since I've moved here -- and I've live in strictly Thai communities -- in the 8 years I've live in my Thai apartment complex, there has never been another farang renter. Perhaps one of the women residents will bring a stray farang home for a few weeks or a couple of months, but that's about it. And I'm the only farang in our village, and only one of three in our Tambon. So I really do love it when a farang expat living in a gated community or a farang community suddenly becomes an expert on Thai moral values, mores, and culture. But all they are doing is projecting their own Westernize, farang, and oft-times Christian-based moral values on the common, everyday Thai folks. And those of you that do? Ya'll don't have a clue. Really! Jing jing! Maybe ya'll associate with the more up-scale Thais, men and women of culture and status. Me, I'm down here in knee deep in Naa Kaow and Kee Kwai like most average and rural Thais. <head shake> I love it. biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

Common people....

It is all about culture, location, education, perception. you name it.....Common sense needs to apply.

Anything not common will creates critics and emotions in any country....

Here...most small children play naked on the streets, on beaches, everywhere, with their parents at sight or not....No problems at all....

In the US.....let your own children play naked on your own garden...in public view...and you may end in jail.

The problem with "common sense " is that nobody seems to have it..?

Archived