Applying for Non Immigrant Visa O based on marriage (2015) in Vientianne

Dear all

I thought that I would write about my experiences in getting a Non Immigrant O visa (marriage) in Vientianne, as the consulate website can be a bit confusing.

Single entry Non Immigrant O visa

DOCUMENTS AND PHOTOS TO BE PROVIDED

Copy of passport and all pages

Two passport sized photos

Copy of wife's Thai ID card, with her writing "this is real" (in Thai). Apparently this certifies the copy

Copy of wife's home registration

Copy of marriage certificates, both the certificate version and the details version (marked as 2 and 3)

Photos, or copies of photos, of the wedding (I gave three different photos of the wedding party with us in it and our families)

INFORMATION ON THAI CONSULATE WEBPAGE

Bank statement or proof of income required. This is only necessary when you apply for the extension after 90 days, despite what it says on the web page.

Takes two business days to process. Actually, it only takes one business day to process (apply one day, pick it up the next). However to be fair, the web page does state this in a way, but it's quite confusing and I was thrown off by the comment that it takes two business days to process. Maybe it's just me.

OTHER

I read somewhere that you need to provide proof of where you are staying in Thailand, as well as photos inside taken with your wife. I did not need to provide this nor was I asked for it, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to bring those photos anyway just in case.

The process of applying

Day 1

Arrived at the Thai Consulate around 7:30am and there was already a long queue (I estimate around 100 people in front of me). The Thai Consulate opens at 8:30am

Line up for a queue number

Once queue number is received, wait for your number to be called out

Proceed to the line for your documents to be submitted and checked

Day 2

Pick up of documents counter opens at 11:30

Pay your fee and that's it, but expect to wait a few hours

After you go through the border of Thailand, your visa will be marked with a pen (I guess it means it is no longer valid), but you will get a stamp with a validity date 90 days from when you re-entered Thailand. Before the 90 days is up, you will need to go to the immigration department in Thailand to extend it (that's when you have to show proof of either earning 40,000 Baht a month income, or show savings of at least 400,000 Baht in your savings account).

Please feel free to provide your comment or experiences too!

Edited by cloudos

Another thing, if your wife changed her name, or if there any any differences between her names on the ID card, home registration, or marriage certificate, make sure you bring the proof of name change.

• 1 year later...

You can still get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage in Vientiane.

Marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's ID card and house book. Copy of your passport photo page and Lao visa on arrival/entry stamp.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, Thai Bairn said:

Is it still the case that no proof of finance is required in Vientiane for a single-entry non-o based on marriage?

I know it is possible in Savannakhet, but Vientiane would be more convenient.

No changes. Still no financial proof needed.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Written 19 Jan 2017

This OP is dated, in terms of forum life, but it has the main ingredients so I thought I would post my experience in obtaining an O Visa, based on the reason of marriage, here, in the spirit of an up-date.

Just a note for anyone just starting to learn the methods, there is no such thing as a "Marriage" or "Retirement" Visa. There is just the Non-Immigrant "O" Visa, Single Entry or Multiple Entry. When you obtain the Visa at a Consulate such Vientianne, they require a reason, on the application, lower-left corner. (I used, "STAY WITH THAI SPOUSE.") When you extend it (in Thailand), which you do on a yearly basis and can do so indefinitely, you extend it on the basis of marriage or retirement. When it comes to extending the O Visa, it makes no difference as to whether it is Single or Multiple entry, they are both extended the same way. (There is a difference in criteria between retirement and marriage extensions.)

I had a Non-Imm O Visa and had extended it for about eight years when circumstances caused the extension to be void and therefor the original O Visa to be voided. I live near Khon Kaen, so off to Vientianne.

I went for the first time in November of 2016 but I did not have a letter from my bank so I was rejected. I got a Tourist Visa instead and then returned 17 January 2017 and succeeded this time.

PAPERWORK

The application. This is the one with space for two photos at the upper-right corner. It can be down-loaded from several places.

Two photos attached to the application. They are smaller than your passport photos but I just trimmed two of my passport photos to fit the printed rectangles.

Passport, with signed copies of the main page (photo page), a copy of the Laos entry stamp into Laos, and a copy of the Laos Visa that you obtained at the border. I had copies of all of the other pages of my passport of which none were ask.

Your original Thai marriage certificate and a signed, by both of us, copy. The original will be returned to you before you leave the window. I also had a certified copy of our US marriage license with a signed copy. I am not sure if this is actually needed but they did keep the signed copy. I also had a certified copy with a signed copy of the translation of my US marriage license (obtained in Thailand for the purpose of officially changing the wife's name). They kept the copy of that also. I think there was another paper or so which may be the other pages of the marriage certificate discussed above. All of this is in Thai so I just copy and we sign whatever the wife hands me.

A letter (The Letter) from my bank with a signed copy. When you extend your Visa, this letter needs to state the balance of you account and a date of some sorts. My wife said that the Consulate clerk told her that this letter had to state that the account was in my name and my name only, which it is. My wife explained this to the bank and I assume it said what my wife said it should say. Ironically the letter only got a coursory glance and was handed back. Maybe they'll read the copy in more detail later. (We can stop laughing now.)

Along with the letter I gave them copies of all the pages in my Thai bank book and six month of copies of my US bank account. This is to presumably access your financial worthiness, however, they too got a coursory glance and were handed back. But, they are required.

A signed, by her, copy of the wife's ID card.

A signed, by her, copy of the House Book.

Remember, when it comes to as what is required, the Consulate's clerk's word is law. I don't care, or rather she doesn't care, what it says anywhere else.

PROCEDURE

This has changed from the OP.

As a note, the taxi driver informed us that Monday and Thursday are the busiest days, which makes sense, as it is a two day process. More on the times of my experience to follow.

DAY ONE, Morning.

The first thing you do is get your queue number.

Since you are reading this, I will assume that you are, or trying to be, an enlightened individual and do things the correct and most efficient way.

The queue table is a little white table located to the left and in front of all of the chairs. There will be a queue leading to it, it will be surrounded my a mob, and there are two Thais sitting at it processing paper work. Get in the queue possessing your passport and four pieces of paper. The application which you down-loaded, filled-out, glued your photos, all prior to leaving you home, and signed that morning. A singed copy of your main passport page which you also copied weeks ago. Signed copies that you obtained last night at your hotel, of the Laos entry stamp and Laos Visa . Don't be a jerk and get to the table without these things and have to go to the building next door and get copies and then become part of the mob like ninety percent of the others in the queue. Also in you possession will be a case of some sort with all of your other paper work.

When you get to the table, hand which ever clerk ask for it, your passport and the four papers. He/she will look at them and hand them all back to you with a queue number and tell you to go to Window Number One. Your number will not be called-out, just go and get in the queue which will be shorter and proceed. Window Number Two may be open and no queue. My advice from experience is, do not go there. Don't even look over there so she can motion you over. Stick with the lady at Number One.

When you get to the window, hand her every thing at once, application on top, she will sort it out. (I was informed that that is the way they prefer it.) I had my bank book and house book in my hand in plain-sight but she did not ask for them. She will take a couple of minutes to sort through your stuff and if everything is to her satisfaction, she will hand you back your queue number and stuff she doesn't need. A thank you from yourself, and you are on your way.

If you are rejected as I was the first time, you will be told why. In my case after pleading and begging I went back to the queue table and changed my application to a Tourist Visa.

A word about times. The first trip was on a Wednesday and I got there late, after nine o'clock, due to a communications mix-up. The second trip was on a Tuesday and I got there about nine o'clock on purpose as I am not the type that needs to be at the front of the line. In each case I was out of there in less than an hour. The first trip I had queue number sixty-eight and the second, seventy-two.

DAY TWO, Afternoon. The process starts at one-thirty, no need to be there any earlier.

At one-thirty window number two opens and on the wall to the left of it are queue lights that actually work, and well.

You will start queuing slightly before your number is displayed/called, everyone does. When you get to the window, have Bhat in hand. Hand the clerk your queue number, she will dig-out your passport and ask for the amount due. Give it to her, she will hand you a receipt to sign, do so and hand it back. She will hand you your passport, a copy of the receipt, and again you are on you way.

It took me less than a half-hour each trip.

10 minutes ago, ellobo said:

I went for the first time in November of 2016 but I did not have a letter from my bank so I was rejected. I got a Tourist Visa instead and then returned 17 January 2017 and succeeded this time.

Did you have your marriage certificate and etc with you the first time.

It sounds like you didn't and was trying to get the non-o visa for being 50 or over.

Vientiane does not ask for financial proof to get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage. There has never been a report of that being asked for.

ubonjoe

Yes I did.

When I my O Visa was voided we went to the Immigration Office in Khon Kaen and talked to the officer with whom we have been dealing off and on for the last three years. He told us to go to Vientianne and he verbally listed the paper work we should take that is basically the same list as extending the Visa each year. He said that our bank statements would be proof of income.

I had all of the paperwork listed above except the bank letter.

I was about seventh in the queue at window one and noticed that window two was open. As we were moving forward I kept glancing at window two. She finally looked-up, looked around noticing every one was working except her and she motioned me over. I honestly think that this set-off an attitude problem.

She ask why I was applying for an O Visa and I told her I was married and living with my Thai wife. I started handing her paperwork starting with the bank statements. She looked through these and said, "These prove your income but where is the bank letter?" It went down-hill from there. My wife came over and talked to her, obviously to no avail, but did glean the above information re the contents of the letter and handing all of the paper work at the same time.

It ended-up with her handing us a little piece of paper with the Consulate's web-site listed and stated that, "Here are the requirements." and refused to speak to us again.

47 minutes ago, ellobo said:

ubonjoe

Yes I did.

When I my O Visa was voided we went to the Immigration Office in Khon Kaen and talked to the officer with whom we have been dealing off and on for the last three years. He told us to go to Vientianne and he verbally listed the paper work we should take that is basically the same list as extending the Visa each year. He said that our bank statements would be proof of income.

I had all of the paperwork listed above except the bank letter.

I was about seventh in the queue at window one and noticed that window two was open. As we were moving forward I kept glancing at window two. She finally looked-up, looked around noticing every one was working except her and she motioned me over. I honestly think that this set-off an attitude problem.

She ask why I was applying for an O Visa and I told her I was married and living with my Thai wife. I started handing her paperwork starting with the bank statements. She looked through these and said, "These prove your income but where is the bank letter?" It went down-hill from there. My wife came over and talked to her, obviously to no avail, but did glean the above information re the contents of the letter and handing all of the paper work at the same time.

It ended-up with her handing us a little piece of paper with the Consulate's web-site listed and stated that, "Here are the requirements." and refused to speak to us again.

just to be picky you do not extend the visa, you extend the permission to stay that the visa gives you.

steve187

I am all for preciseness when it comes to terminology as it helps to eliminate ambiguity. Contrarily, I am usually not one to be too picky either.  When it comes to the Thai Immigration Bureau, the thought of pickiness and preciseness is a bit ludicrous in the first place, don't you think.

However, my source for using "extending the Visa" comes from a handout given to me by the Immigration Bureau titled, "Application for Retirement visa extension, as of the 3st (sic) December 2008."

Now this in and as itself is incorrect as pointed-out above as there is no such thing as a Retirement visa so we can not extend it on the 3st or any other date.

The title begs the age old question, do three wrongs make a right?

But as you can see, the term "visa extension" is theirs, not mine.

I will be more than eager to yield to your source, anecdotal, official or otherwise.

All of this is in good humor of course. * insert smiley-faces here *