Any Truth In This

The poster did not reveal the forum, this was from I have tried a search her no luck

I found the following info on another forum.

Hope they don't mind me copying it, but thought it would be of interest.

More disturbing is what is happening to my elderly german neighbor. he is 81 years old retired neuro surgeon and in poor health , he has lived here 19 years . He receives a pension of 5100 euro per month more than 300000 baht.and has large offshore investments so financially he is well off.

Immigration say he will not be allowed to renew his visa as he is too old and infirm to remain in Thailand.

Lawyers have been consulted and it appears that a retirment visa entitles you to retire here but not die here and that immigration are vetting each case on its merits.They can supoena medical records and order proper medical checks ,by their approved doctors to support an expulsion case. He has been given 60 days to leave the country , he has lodged an appeal but The German embassy reckons that he will lose as this not the first case they have seen.

With his income he could easily just get a live in RN

Guys what I'm tying to do is find the source of this, I knw that in Udon many VFW members have died in the past here and in each incident immigration was helpful where they were involved, to the extent of renewing an annual to a married vet while he was bedridden.

Maybe it's just the timing, wiht everything else going on. I don't know the source and I'm trying to find that. Anyone have any information on the subject beyond this post.

I have never heard of anything like this before this posting.

By the way the posting read was on udonmap.com, I should have included that in my first post my appolgies

If this is true, then it is very sad news indeed.

It is more than possible that the visa was rejected on "technical" grounds, the most obvious being the lack of a medical certificate (which we all know can be obtained anywhere without even seeing a doctor). It could even be that his bank letter was out of date, or didn't tie in with the amount in his bank account. This sort of minor problem is frquently used to reject visa extensions, and if the poor old guy was in poor health and didn't have proper assistance he nmight have got it all a bit confused. If this is the case, he should be able to reapply and get it sorted before his visa expires.

Who knows? It's just speculation.

But common humanity dictates that a man who has been living here for 20 years, has all the necessary funds to take care of himself - including medical treatment - should not be arbitrarily thrown out, at the whim of some officious farang hating immigration officer. It's just not right.

Thailand may be trying to get rid of the low end so called "riff-raff", but for sure they have been extrolling the virtues of Thailand as a place to retire to for many years, and have encouraged and given BOI priviledges to the constructors of retirement homes and communities for expats. Then to kick someone out when he is too ill is absolutely heartless and contrary to Bhuddist principles.

If this story is true, and I repeat IF, it should be plasteerd all over the English language press in Thailand, (and Thai press if anyone has connections), and sent to the foreign press, who may well be interested in such uncivilised begaviour

Then see how our 'gracious' hosts enjoy the publicity and subsequent loss of face. :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

Medical certificates here are indeed a joke, and I suspect this poor old chap has been fouled on a technicality.

If the report is correct, then it is an extremely unfair decision as has already been suggested. It also adds to the prevailing mood of disillusionment with Thailand which I am hearing everywhere from farang friends.

I agree that there is absolutely no excuse for tipping out someone who can well afford to pay for medical treatment, simply because he is infirm.

However, let us not forget that nothing here has changed except government regulations. We will all have to adapt or leave. The same can and does happen in many countries, so don't lets get bitter and twisted against our hosts. Many ordinary Thai people are compassionate and sorry for what is happening to "good" farangs. They are just hoping that the new regs may weed out some of the "bad" ones.

With his income he could easily just get a live in RN

Guys what I'm tying to do is find the source of this, I knw that in Udon many VFW members have died in the past here and in each incident immigration was helpful where they were involved, to the extent of renewing an annual to a married vet while he was bedridden.

Maybe it's just the timing, wiht everything else going on. I don't know the source and I'm trying to find that. Anyone have any information on the subject beyond this post.

I have never heard of anything like this before this posting.

By the way the posting read was on udonmap.com, I should have included that in my first post my appolgies

I find the story 'unlikely'to be true as stated.....but who knows!

Read the story on that site too .... way too sketchy to be plausible as written

Edited by jdinasia

I can't believe that would happen. I too have heard stories but they were to the other extreme in that immigration officials actually went to see a bedridden old man and arranged for his visa. The old man's wife explained that her husband couldn't get out of bed.

Another rumour, like so many this days.

WCA

Ok guys I was finally able to locate the original source, read it yourself make your own inquiries, certianly doesn't sound like the Thailand I know.

It came from Pattaya Chat,

under the heading, More Visa Problems, Retired and Marriage.

It was posted by Monsterman.

Something tell me there is something that we don't know here.

This happened to me a few years ago: The dog got sick just before I and the dog were to leave Thailand. I asked Immigration to extend my visa. They said could not but then took pity and said to go get a medical certificate. I got letter/medical certificate from vet and trotted back to Immigration. "No, no," the officer said, "I need a letter from YOUR doctor to say YOU are sick." I must have looked so crestfallen and harrassed he said "oh never mind" and gave me an extension.

:o

The poster did not reveal the forum, this was from I have tried a search her no luck

I found the following info on another forum.

Hope they don't mind me copying it, but thought it would be of interest.

More disturbing is what is happening to my elderly german neighbor. he is 81 years old retired neuro surgeon and in poor health , he has lived here 19 years . He receives a pension of 5100 euro per month more than 300000 baht.and has large offshore investments so financially he is well off.

Immigration say he will not be allowed to renew his visa as he is too old and infirm to remain in Thailand.

Lawyers have been consulted and it appears that a retirment visa entitles you to retire here but not die here and that immigration are vetting each case on its merits.They can supoena medical records and order proper medical checks ,by their approved doctors to support an expulsion case. He has been given 60 days to leave the country , he has lodged an appeal but The German embassy reckons that he will lose as this not the first case they have seen.

I know a little about being sick in Thailand. If you get sick and can't leave the country when visa expires hospital will arrange for visa to be extended. Many hospitals now have Immigration at the hospital once a week to attend to patients' visas. However, if the visa is extended umpteen times then Immigration can ask to have its own doctors assess the patient. In the case that I know of Immigration decided it was enough to see the spouse who was perfectly well. Spouse showed his face - a sensible looking, well dressed, quiet, older person. Patient's and spouse's visas continued to be extended for several more months.