Going To Thailand Have Questions On Visa

Hello,

I just joined the forum.

I plan to go to Thailand to train at a Thai boxing camp. I would like to go early January and come back early March. Roughly 60 days. I have a few questions I would greatly appreciate help with.

1) I thought that I would need to get the 30 day visa and do a border run. I am seeing people talking about 60 day visas, which would cover my visit. Will I be eligable for these?

2) If I get the visa here in the US, what is the process for going about that? Do I need to book my flights and have my itinerary for my travel plans to show before I get my visa, or do I get the visa and then plan the trip?

3) Is the visa issued for the date that you are traveling and enter the country? For example, if I apply and get a 60 day visa a month before I leave, does the time on the visa begin when you enter the country?

4) How far in advance do I need to apply for a visa? Is it a long process?

Kind of off topic for this section of the forum, but what is the best with regards to money and getting it while you are in Thailand?

I think the best way would be to have some pocket cash on you when you get there, and have an atm card with the money that you will need while you are there. Then you have access but dont risk losing or having it stolen. Any insight on this topic would be really helpfull. Also, is it wise/smart/common to use credit cards while in Thailand?

Sorry about all the questions, but it seems that the members of this forum always have great answers.

for a 60 day visa its still easy, you just bring the return ticket to thailand.

the visa is valid 2 month you can extend another 30 days at immigration. the visa not indicated the exc. days, it indicate only the maximum, and the last day when you can arrive with this visa.

no problem to get,..........just tke some days dependent on which embassy or if you apply by postal service.................

Hello,

I just joined the forum.

I plan to go to Thailand to train at a Thai boxing camp. I would like to go early January and come back early March. Roughly 60 days. I have a few questions I would greatly appreciate help with.

1) I thought that I would need to get the 30 day visa and do a border run. I am seeing people talking about 60 day visas, which would cover my visit. Will I be eligable for these?

2) If I get the visa here in the US, what is the process for going about that? Do I need to book my flights and have my itinerary for my travel plans to show before I get my visa, or do I get the visa and then plan the trip?

3) Is the visa issued for the date that you are traveling and enter the country? For example, if I apply and get a 60 day visa a month before I leave, does the time on the visa begin when you enter the country?

4) How far in advance do I need to apply for a visa? Is it a long process?

Kind of off topic for this section of the forum, but what is the best with regards to money and getting it while you are in Thailand?

I think the best way would be to have some pocket cash on you when you get there, and have an atm card with the money that you will need while you are there. Then you have access but dont risk losing or having it stolen. Any insight on this topic would be really helpfull. Also, is it wise/smart/common to use credit cards while in Thailand?

Sorry about all the questions, but it seems that the members of this forum always have great answers.

No problem for you to get a proper tourist visa prior to

leaving the US. Also you can extend in Thailand if need be.

Do not come on a 'visa on arrival'.

Check with your nearest Thai Consulate(s) for the procedure,

or check the Embassy websites in the US.

Naka.

You can obtain a single entry tourist visa from one of the many Royal Thai Consulates in the USA prior to travel. Issue time is a day-week at most - and can be done by mail or in person. I doubt that any ticket will be required for an American passport but will not hurt to have it. Visa is valid for 3 months (the time you have to enter Thailand) and when you enter Thailand you will be provided a 60 day permitted to stay period (day one is day of arrival). This stay can be extended in Thailand at an Immigration Office for 1,900 baht for a period of 30 days if required.

ATM cards with Cirrus/Plus and Visa are usable at most machines here for your normal daily limits but it is best to let your bank know you will be using it here to avoid any panic by them (and cutting off access). Credit cards can be used many places but with the extra surcharge of overseas use that most get they are not a good value (if a discount operation in Thailand they will charge you the merchant fee on top and your home bank will likely charge a foreign usage fee).

hi,

I'm planning to go to thailnd this October. I'm from the Philippines, as I understand, i don't need a visa for me to b able to get there.is there a way where i can get a tourist visa so i can stay longer in thailand?

thanks

joan

No problem for you to get a proper tourist visa prior to

leaving the US. Also you can extend in Thailand if need be.

Do not come on a 'visa on arrival'.

Check with your nearest Thai Consulate(s) for the procedure,

or check the Embassy websites in the US.

Naka.

Thank you all for the help with this thread.

Lopburi- I do not have an atm card right now, but was planning on opening a new bank account with an atm card. This way if there is any fraud it will not go into my accounts with larger amounts of money.

Are most ATM cards Cirrus/Plus?

How do most people get to money when they are visiting Thailand without using ATM or carrying all of their money on person?

Thanks again.

Travelers checks (free to 2% and small cashing charge) or credit card advance (expensive if you do not overpay your card before travel).

I don't know of any US ATM cards that are not linked to either of the clearance systems - they may be also linked to regional systems but almost all will have either Cirrus or Plus for national/international use. Be sure to ask bank if card can be used in Thailand to be sure and as said let them know when you travel here so they can notate your account.