Sabroso Mexican

smokie36

Visited this Mexican restaurant last night on Sukhumvit Soi 23 with some mixed results.

First we tried the pork carnitas tacos which was decent enough and served in a corn style taco with four different salsas to choose from.

I think I picked the mildest one and found the dish rather bland really...although it picked up when I added a slightly hotter variety the carnitas wasn't really begging me to eat more.

So we moved on and tried their homemade chorizo tacos which is in a flour tortilla style taco....and what a difference!

Absolutely the best I've had in Bangkok....not greasy at all...well spiced and utterly moreish.

A hot smoky salsa to accompany it (to be fair this was available with any dish) was my choice and it blew the steam out of my ears.....highly recommend this dish.

As a frequent advocate of La Monita I have to say give this place a try....I will be and hopefully add another couple of dishes to this list soon!

agree, for mexican I give it a ( 7 out of 10 ) .... food good .... small quaint place.

I have eaten more mexican than most here, years ago there use to be Marie's in the back of soi 23 ... it wasn't bad. Then there's La Fiesta over silom way which is quite good, Coyotes franchise is tasty and good variety.

Many have come and gone ....

There is one yet to try located right at the end of soi 18 .... the very last shop on the left hand side. Will try soon and advise.

Mexican food stand in W district, suk..soi 71. Decent tacos and burritoes. No real salsa choice or side dishes. Zambreo mexican in Central World, way in the back near Toy are Us. Really good tacos with choices of salsa. Burritoes look good, but haven't tried.

I'd add a google placemark, but can't figure it out.

They dont do Mexican here well at all. It's like a foreign language.

Charlie Browns round the corner from Cheap Charlie's does excellent Tex-Mex. They now have a mobile Taco-truck.

Charley Browns serves the kind of stuff we get in the UK.

OK if that's your thing.

They dont do Mexican here well at all. It's like a foreign language.

Charlie Browns round the corner from Cheap Charlie's does excellent Tex-Mex. They now have a mobile Taco-truck.

Charley Browns serves the kind of stuff we get in the UK.

OK if that's your thing.

Warm, flat beer and boiled meat? biggrin.png

facepalm.gifReally folks? I am a little speechless over the positive reviews I read for some of these Bangkok Mexican restaurants. Please get out more. Maybe a nice trip to southern California or Texas would do you some good if you want to know what good Tex-Mex food is supposed to taste like. Just IMHO.

facepalm.gifReally folks? I am a little speechless over the positive reviews I read for some of these Bangkok Mexican restaurants. Please get out more. Maybe a nice trip to southern California or Texas would do you some good if you want to know what good Tex-Mex food is supposed to taste like. Just IMHO.

I'm relatively certain many posters "know what good Tex-Mex food is supposed to taste like." For a variety of reasons, it's difficult to duplicate in Southeast Asia.

On the ethnic food/burger/pizza threads you have to take the review within the context that it's good considering where one is located. Of course Mexican-style food is going to be better in CA or TX (or even Mexico, huh?) but it's a bit cost prohibitive and time consuming to travel that distance/time for a single meal.

(And many would argue that Tex-Mex and Cal-Mex are dissimilar, thus negating your suggestion to travel to CA for Tex-Mex.)

I'm relatively certain many posters "know what good Tex-Mex food is supposed to taste like." For a variety of reasons, it's difficult to duplicate in Southeast Asia.

On the ethnic food/burger/pizza threads you have to take the review within the context that it's good considering where one is located. Of course Mexican-style food is going to be better in CA or TX (or even Mexico, huh?) but it's a bit cost prohibitive and time consuming to travel that distance/time for a single meal.

(And many would argue that Tex-Mex and Cal-Mex are dissimilar, thus negating your suggestion to travel to CA for Tex-Mex.)

Some of us have never been to the US or Mexico and have no desire to visit either place.

Sabroso Mexican Bistro, sometimes referred to as Sabroso Mexican Grill, has been getting good reviews.

I think it is run by the same person who previously operated "Tacos & Salsa".

http://www.10best.com/destinations/thailand/bangkok/restaurants/mexican/

https://sabrosobkk.wordpress.com/

El Mariachi is a bit out of the way, on Srinakarin road, is supposed to be pretty good. I think they may have a food truck, and/or, an outlet at the On Nut Beer garden (but maybe relocating soon according to their FB page).

https://www.facebook.com/ElMariachiBKK

http://www.elmariachibangkok.com/

Charlie Browns is not good Mexican. Tacos and Salsa prefabbed terribleness, La Monita, last time there the center of my burrito was cold, sent it back and then they forgot about me,I ended up just walking away. Used to love Los Cabos,old boy would fly in the Poblano chiles for the best Chille Rellenos in all of SE Asia. Miss that place. Will give Sabroso a go next time in BKK,but am just a couple a months away from So Cal, so might wait for some truly autentico.

• 10 months later...

Anyone know if Sabroso on Suk 23 is still open or has closed?

I chanced upon its Facebook page the other day, and all mention of the restaurant seems to have been removed, and now it talks only about a catering service.

Haven't been down to that end of Soi 23 lately to see in person.

Archived