Boat driver flees after striking British diver near Koh Tao

webfact

Boat Driver Flees After Striking British Diver Near Koh Tao
By Khaosod English

14339127251433913277l.jpg
Rescue workers bring a 20-year-old tourist who was struck by a boat turbine to a hospital on Koh Samui, 9 June 2015.

SURAT THANI — A boat driver in southern Thailand fled after he struck a British tourist with his engine off the coast of Koh Tao yesterday.

According to police, the 20-year-old British woman nearly lost her leg in the accident, which occured while she was taking a diving lesson with other tourists from a company called Scuba Shark on the western side of the island.

The boat's turbine hit her leg, breaking two of her bones and causing her to bleed profusely.

Rescue workers were immediately dispatched to take the tourist to the closest hospital on nearby Koh Samui, where she is now recovering, according to medical workers.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1433912725

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-10

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KOH TAO again.

The boat driver was not Thai for sure.

Are they already looking for a scapegoat from Myanmar?

It is time this infamous island disappears from all catalogs of tourist destinations

and that all the crooks there get what they deserve

and the honest people there, too.

If it was an accident then it was an accident and he does not need to flee, however fleeing does point to guilt IMHO.

Hope she gets good compensation and if it was negligence they prosecute the boat captain.

It is an hour and a half from Koh Tao to Samui... plus the time recover all the other divers of the group and then tranfer from the beach to the hospital, that is at least two and a half hours.

Is their no emergency facility on Koh Tao to stabilise casualties until transferring to Samui or the Mainland?

If it was an accident then it was an accident and he does not need to flee, however fleeing does point to guilt IMHO.

Hope she gets good compensation and if it was negligence they prosecute the boat captain.

Accident...

Was the other boat a dive boat???

Which dive site were they diving, was it a marked off area???

As for compensation and paying medical bills... probable not a lot, firstly other boats insurance if it was 100% at fault (if have)

Then dive operators insurance (if have)

Then own travel insurance (if have)

Accident...

As for compensation and paying medical bills... probable not a lot, firstly other boats insurance if it was 100% at fault (if have)

I have no idea of knowing because the report is too limited. That was why i kept my options open.

Accident...

I have no idea of knowing because the report is too limited. That was why i kept my options open.

I asked two three questions... I am a diver who dived Koh Tao this year and was intending to next year.

The remainder relates to your comment re compensation which really means I doubt so, certainly she will not fair as well as the unfortunate people involved in the roller-coaster accident at Alton Towers Fun Park (UK) last week, within days Alton Towers owners have admitted full liability cutting down time it will take for those injured to get compensation, one young lady has had to have a leg amputated, already estimated she alone will receive over a million GBP (1.5 Million usd/50 million THB).

Why is no-one commenting on the running away factor of this story?

We all know why, its because its such a common situation, we all take it for granted.

Its about time this disgusting attitude to taking responsibility for actions is cracked down upon.

I suggest mandatory full sentences for negligence,attempted murder etc, depending on the circumstances of each case.

in every case of a person fleeing the scene of an accident.

I suggest the law sees this flight as a full admission of culpability and the attempt to hide from it indicates full responsibility.

An extra dollop of porridge for the sorry little s***s!!!

KOH TAO again.

It is time this infamous island disappears from all catalogs of tourist destinations

Maybe in the future she will write a book entitled "How i cheated Death on Death Island"

If he wasnt fleeing to get medical assistance, then he should get a hefty 500 Baht fine when he is caught if ever, and that would be a future warning to all boat users to look out where you are going and if you cant see then dont go.

No doubt the driver was the son of an "influential person" who is well thought of by the "police" who will launch a thorough investigation next Monday after the entire force has checked out the boat for fingerprints and the results will be given to media "soon"! smile.pngfacepalm.gifwai.gif

...so pathetically primitve ....again and again....

...and of course 'nobody knows a thing'.....

...so tiring....so disgusting.....people go out for a good time...and pay all along the way...

.....just to have their lives ruined by a savage with no conscience or compunction.....

...and what will be the punishment.....an apology.....???

...insane....

KOH TAO again.

I don;t disagree with everything you write, only the part about disappearing from catalogs, if only there was some interest in safety, ok we don't need extreems of nany state but, I can forecast a number of accidents will be arising in the climbing industry in Thailand.

I notice partially corroded equipment being climbed on and showboating by Thai instructors, its only a question of time,

I am surprised more people are not hit by boats and jet skis in all coastal regions, incredible,

KOH TAO again.

Lazy comment.

What about Pattaya, Phuket where there are are reports of criminal activity on this forum daily..?? Should these ''disappear'' as well..??

Get a grip!

It is an hour and a half from Koh Tao to Samui... plus the time recover all the other divers of the group and then tranfer from the beach to the hospital, that is at least two and a half hours.

Is their no emergency facility on Koh Tao to stabilise casualties until transferring to Samui or the Mainland?

Its called the Golden hour ".........except in Thailand its the "Golden Half day"

Its called the Golden hour ".........except in Thailand its the "Golden Half day"

I was trying to research "Scuba Shark", but can not find anything with Google, reason being do they do night dives? but then she was a trainee diver so I presume they mean open water? so that rules out night diving, reason being, looking at the photo I would say it was well after 7pm... most diving ops would be concluded before 4pm.

Hopefully she was treated and stabilised on Koh Tao before being transferred.

Unfortunately see this all the time diving off Pattaya, boats and jet skis blasting around Koh Larn and Koh Sac with no regard for divers/snorkelers.

Fortunately I have only witnessed a couple of minor accidents.

While training or dive leading in these boat infested areas we are required to use a surface marker to indicate that divers are there! I hope they did the same in this case.

Personally I always try to surface close to the diveboat so the risk is minimised, unfortunately with novice divers this is not always possible!

I hope she gets treated and gets well soon!

why would it be any different, from a car accident....

Run away is the "normal" Thai way then they dont have to face any consequences, if that all fail.... can always say "sorry" later......

TIT

wai2.gif

why would it be any different, from a car accident....

Simply because the victim even if not too severely hurt, without help could drown in no time.

In any Western country this supposed to be captain bastard would face very serious criminal charges.

We all know why, its because its such a common situation, we all take it for granted.

Its about time this disgusting attitude to taking responsibility for actions is cracked down upon.

I suggest mandatory full sentences for negligence,attempted murder etc, depending on the circumstances of each case.

I suggest the law sees this flight as a full admission of culpability and the attempt to hide from it indicates full responsibility.

They run away to the temple and have their sin prayed away!

They run away to the temple and have their sin prayed away!

And let nature flush away any traces of alcohol and drugs before turning themselves in...

Archived