Dispose of Old Phone Battery - How?

Daffy D

The battery from the wife's phone, which was already a little swollen is still swelling and getting bigger days after removing it from the phone.blink.png

I get the feeling that it's going to explode and catch fire w00t.gif

On the label it has the usual "do not throw in the dustbin" symbol but what is the alternative?

I was thinking of taking it to the local Samsung shop for responsible disposal but maybe they just throw their old batteries in the dustbin anyway so what's the point sad.png

Any ideas how to dispose of an old phone battery responsibly

post-35075-0-42730600-1433942531_thumb.j

smile.png

• Like 1

Just to ease your mind; I've had three L-Ion batteries balloon and the Mylar containing envelope surrounding the batteries has always held, no gasses escaping.

THRILLED

I still have my old phones.Didn't take the battery out.

All my devices were totally inactive and in storage when the batteries ballooned. The ballooning had enough force to split the cases, crack the glass in one and stretch and distort the leather outside cases.

I suggest you remove the batteries from your stored devices.

• 2 years later...

I did some research checking last night online, and then followed up today with some scouting in BKK, with the following result:

Siam Paragon:

--The best location I found was the DTAC service center in Siam Paragon on the cell phone floor, where they have a visible, actual recycling box in the rear right side corner of the store that's labeled for accepting mobile phones, batteries and accessories. Just drop them right in.

--The staff at the Samsung shop nearby DTAC in Paragon, when asked, said they will accept any brand of mobile phone or battery for recycling. According to the guy I spoke with there, they collect them and then send them back to their Samsung HQ in BKK for recycling. Just to be clear, the guy I talked with said they would accept non-Samsung products.

--The IStudio shop staff nearby on the same floor said they had no kind of general recycling activity, but the guy I talked to did seem to kind of suggest that they might have some kind of recycling program for Apple products only. But I was speaking English, he was speaking Thai, and so it wasn't entirely clear.

CentralWorld:

--The staff at the main AIS corporate service center there said they would accept any brand phones and batteries for recycling, and seemed to be saying they had some kind of collection bin or basket back out of the public store area.

--While at CW, I also checked with the DTAC, True and Jaymart shops there, and got answers of NO from all of them.

Many schools have decent recycling programs involving dedicated battery services.

There used to be battery recycling bins in Fortune Town and Panthip but I haven't used those in a few years.

Chances are most everything just gets consolidated into the trash and burned in Samut Prakan, or the pickers sort stuff and hopefully find the best place to get the batteries to? 

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

There used to be battery recycling bins in Fortune Town and Panthip but I haven't used those in a few years.

There were reports above that at least some of those got removed in the "trash can purge" related to the domestic trash can bombings...

I haven't been to FT or Panthip lately to check in person.

At least, the recycling bin I mentioned above at the DTAC service center at Siam Paragon is confirmed in current time, and at least with DTAC, there's a reasonable likelihood that things left there will in fact get recycled -- or at least, a better likelihood that perhaps some other destinations.

If anyone else has any CURRENT, CONFIRMED locations, please do post them here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update on Phuket: I have brought the Li-Ion batteries (battery packs from laptops, smartphones, and CR123 cells)  to WongPanit Recycling Center, no one there speaks english so we communicated with the manager lady thru Google translate. She said that they do not buy batteries, but I said that I do not want money for batteries - I just want to dispose of them properly, and then she agreed to take them.

I hope the batteries won't end in the nearest garbage dump.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, fdsa said:

any news on Phuket? I have some more dead batteries.

You might get lucky taking them to a mobile phone shop  AIS,DTAC,TRUE they might except your  old batteries  or just throw them in the bin like everyone else ( in Thailand) does !

• 9 months later...