Australian teacher in Cambodia jailed in child sex abuse

Jonathan Fairfield

Not saying this fits this case, but NGOs have been known to frame up innocent men to justify their own existence and keep funds flowing from the West. A visit to Phnom Penh will reveal NGO employees riging around in Land Rovers and other high-end SUVs, and generally living the high life.

Things are not always what they seem, ESPECIALLY in Cambodia.

Just saying.

Utter drivel.

Are you one of his pals?

So ngo dont drive around in suv's?

rijit

Of course NGOs ---the overwhelming majority of whom are not involved in sex trafficking issues but rather sectors like health, education, agriculture, forestry etc ---drive SUVs. Their work requires extensive travel in rural areas on very bad roads which are impassable in the rainy season by vehicles without 4 wheel drive. They also have to travel long distances in areas where they can't refuel making an extra tank advisable. These and other practical necessities account for the preponderance of Land Rovers.

Not saying this fits this case, but NGOs have been known to frame up innocent men to justify their own existence and keep funds flowing from the West. A visit to Phnom Penh will reveal NGO employees riging around in Land Rovers and other high-end SUVs, and generally living the high life.

Just saying.

Utter drivel.

Are you one of his pals?

rijit

Of course NGOs ---the overwhelming majority of whom are not involved in sex trafficking issues but rather sectors like health, education, agriculture, forestry etc ---drive SUVs. Their work requires extensive travel in rural areas on very bad roads which are impassable in the rainy season by vehicles without 4 wheel drive. They also have to travel long distances in areas where they can't refuel making an extra tank advisable. These and other practical necessities account for the preponderance of Land Rovers.

Well then, that settles it: guilty as charged.

So, Sheryl, which do you prefer, the Defender series, or the Sport?

Just saying.

Utter drivel.

Are you one of his pals?

Typically stupid response. No, I am not his pal. And why are you so predisposed to assume he is guilty? Do you have some as-yet undisclosed inside info about this case? Or are you just a mindless member of the mob?

Look up Somaly Mam. Educate yourself. Maybe actually spend some time in Cambodia before you open your pie-hole...

Again, just saying.

Oh silly me.

There I was thinking this piece of scum had been found guilty in court and sentenced to five years in jail for molesting children.

Personally I think it should be 20 years.

Yes injustices happen all over the world....no justice system is flawless but not every paedophile jailed in Cambodia is innocent.

My tendency is to favour the court system and hope they are improving.....and to hope there are less and less paedophiles operating in Cambodia as a result.

The mind boggles.

No one has claimed the guy is innocent. I, and another poster, merely pointed out the possibility that the knee-jerk, hang-em-high brigade, of which you now seem to be head cheerleader, might want to consider due process, and the extent to which it (doesn't) exist in Cambodia.

The system is ripe for abuse; see SISHA and its founder Steve Morrish (ironically, an Aussie cop); see also the Somaly Mam Foundation, eponymously named after a complete and utter liar, who raised tons of money under false pretenses.

Nothing wrong with outrage at child abuse, but too often it clouds judgment.

As for the courts in Cambodia, well, your lack of knowledge is either naive, or cynical - either way, appalling. Corrupt NGOs and others could not operate without them.

But, hey, they NEED those SUVs (and the cash for those barfines, not to mention raids on expat bars where sex work isn't even condoned)...

Oh silly me, indeed...

The mind boggles.

No one has claimed the guy is innocent. I, and another poster, merely pointed out the possibility that the knee-jerk, hang-em-high brigade, of which you now seem to be head cheerleader, might want to consider due process, and the extent to which it (doesn't) exist in Cambodia.

The system is ripe for abuse; see SISHA and its founder Steve Morrish (ironically, an Aussie cop); see also the Somaly Mam Foundation, eponymously named after a complete and utter liar, who raised tons of money under false pretenses.

Nothing wrong with outrage at child abuse, but too often it clouds judgment.

As for the courts in Cambodia, well, your lack of knowledge is either naive, or cynical - either way, appalling. Corrupt NGOs and others could not operate without them.

But, hey, they NEED those SUVs (and the cash for those barfines, not to mention raids on expat bars where sex work isn't even condoned)...

Oh silly me, indeed...

However you like to cloud it the balance of probability is that this guy is guilty.

I'll save my sympathy for his victims thanks.....and consideration for how this has affected their lives.

You consistently go on about how little I know about the Cambodian justice system but to me its done a good job in this case.

rijit

Well then, that settles it: guilty as charged.

So, Sheryl, which do you prefer, the Defender series, or the Sport?

My comment has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not this man is guilty. It was a response to a blanket slur you made directed at the entire NGO sector.

About his guilt or innocence, I have no opinion as I have no first hand information on it and the only second hand info provided is rather sketchy.

Oh silly me, indeed...

Very, very, very few of the thousands of international NGOs working in Cambodia have even the remotest involvement in what you describe. In fact I think one could probably count those that do on the fingers of one hand.

I find it interesting that in your mind "NGO" = "NGOs who focus on combating sex trafficking". Not an association the average person would make, given the actual profile of NGOs in Cambodia.

Hard to pass up a good stoning, eh Smokie?

Wish you were equipped for the discussion...

Again, I never claimed to have any evidence that the guy is innocent. I don't know any more than you know he's guilty. But knowing a little about how things work in Cambodia, I raise the possibility of some doubt. That seems rational, as opposed to your mob, in a blind feeding frenzy, without the slightest insight into the case, other than the sensationalism of the 'news' story. I wonder just what motivates that behavior.

Anyway, flogged sufficiently.

Carry on.

Hard to pass up a good stoning, eh Smokie?

Wish you were equipped for the discussion...

Again, I never claimed to have any evidence that the guy is innocent. I don't know any more than you know he's guilty. But knowing a little about how things work in Cambodia, I raise the possibility of some doubt. That seems rational, as opposed to your mob, in a blind feeding frenzy, without the slightest insight into the case, other than the sensationalism of the 'news' story. I wonder just what motivates that behavior.

Anyway, flogged sufficiently.

Carry on.

He's had his day in court and been convicted.

Good enough for most of us I reckon.

Oh silly me, indeed...

Very, very, very few of the thousands of international NGOs working in Cambodia have even the remotest involvement in what you describe. In fact I think one could probably count those that do on the fingers of one hand.

I find it interesting that in your mind "NGO" = "NGOs who focus on combating sex trafficking". Not an association the average person would make, given the actual profile of NGOs in Cambodia.

Not to offend, Sheryl, but this discussion is NOT about NGOs in general, but the prejudice shown on this forum against the Australian in this case. And while I agree with you that there are many fine, even noble, NGOs in Cambodia, the particular sector that deals with sex trafficking has had a disproportionate amount of scandal and malfeasance associated with it.

Sounds as if I unintentionally struck a personal chord here, causing you to feel the need to defend NGOs, and their choice of vehicles. Sorry about that, but it wasn't directed at all NGOs.

Let's attempt to stay on topic, shall we?

The fact that there are at least a handful of corrupt NGOs focusing on self-preservation by exploiting sex trafficking should give any rational person pause when considering the guilt or innocence of someone 'apprehended' by one of them.

Period.

Just saying.

Correct. Many of these NGOs have palatial estates, especially in Battambang. They ride the wave of donor funds and have come to stay. Many of them have fabricated charges against inmnocent men, although that may not be the case in this instance.

Be careful, lest you be accused of impugning ALL NGOs. General NGO corruption is a topic for another thread, definitely not on ThaiVisa. However, any rational person, without an ax to grind, would know that we're talking about the specific subset of anti-trafficing NGOs here. Very little likelihood that forestry workers would be involved...

The anti-sex-trafficing NGOs have a particularly dismal reputation for this kind of nonsense, and the particular one mentioned in the news story is currently embroiled in a blatant case of false accusation. It's all about the money.

As for the case here, all I'm saying is that the hang-em-high mob are way too ready to see violence done. I think it has more to do with their own problems than with seeing justice done.

'nuff said.

Be careful, lest you be accused of impugning ALL NGOs. General NGO corruption is a topic for another thread, definitely not on ThaiVisa. However, any rational person, without an ax to grind, would know that we're talking about the specific subset of anti-trafficing NGOs here. Very little likelihood that forestry workers would be involved...

The anti-sex-trafficing NGOs have a particularly dismal reputation for this kind of nonsense, and the particular one mentioned in the news story is currently embroiled in a blatant case of false accusation. It's all about the money.

As for the case here, all I'm saying is that the hang-em-high mob are way too ready to see violence done. I think it has more to do with their own problems than with seeing justice done.

'nuff said.

Yawn....self serving nonsense as usual from your propaganda machine.

"Yawn....self serving nonsense as usual from your propaganda machine."

Well, I'll admit that's a powerful argument, but, well, non-sequiturs being what they are, I think I'll cling to reality.

Thanks for bringing so much light to the subject, Smokie...

Archived