Caught by a speed camera in Doi Saket

Phrafarang

Just received a speeding fine in the post.

I got caught for the first time traveling at 136 kph along the 118 towards CM by a camera somewhere in Doi Saket.

Whilst the 400 baht fine will not break the bank I would like to avoid another one in the future.

Does anyone know EXACTLY where this camera is please

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and the speed limit on Thai highways is???

While the Thais don't seem to know what the limits are anywhere, we should, though signs are not to be found anywhere. While officially it's 90kmh on intercity highways here, and 120kmh major on highways/freeways and motorbike prohibited, I prefer to stay within 110kmh.

Where speed cameras are used, there is no tolerance. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country)

120kmh increased the chance of fatalities considerably more than you'd think in many countries and a new limit of 110kmh was brought in. As for 136kmh....hmmmm

Considering the fact that you can't travel at that speed for more than a couple of kilometers before you have to slow down for traffic and stoplights, moving at that speed will get you into Chiang Mai a good two minutes faster than had you stayed below 90km and significantly reduced the possibility of your injuring someone else... Is it really worth endangering others to save two minutes?

I can appreciate the need for speed in an emergency. That's valid.

As a motorcycle rider I can appreciate the need for speed for fun. That's not. I'm a good enough rider to risk my life at those speeds. But not good enough to risk someone else's life.

Please... the lives you save may be our children.

You only got a 400 baht fine???!!!! Consider yourself very lucky. A few weeks ago my GF and I returned from Korat in a new vehicle. Whilst the GF was driving, she didnt realise that the car actually was quite fast because of the comfort and lack of engine noise etc.

Long story short, we got stopped by the highway patrol and informed that our speed is too high. A camera had picked us up doing 140 kmph. Instant fine was 1000 baht and my GF learnt her lesson, watch your speed at all times; more so when in a new or unfamiliar vehicle.

The remainder of the trip was done at a more leisurely 110-120 kmph.

Thank you, I thought it may be near the weigh station.

Whilst I do not consider 85 mph to be particularly fast on that stretch, about 15 mph over the speed limit, which has virtually no connecting roads and is a two lane highway, I rarely exceed 80 KPH from before the Doi Saket junction of death all the way into Chiang Mai. Considering how often I get overtaken by Thai's, often in vehicles that should not be on the road, I would have to consider myself one of the slower drivers traveling from CR to CM but thank you for all the comments from you conscientious posters who never, ever exceed the speed limit :-)

You only got a 400 baht fine???!!!! Consider yourself very lucky. A few weeks ago my GF and I returned from Korat in a new vehicle. Whilst the GF was driving, she didnt realise that the car actually was quite fast because of the comfort and lack of engine noise etc.

Long story short, we got stopped by the highway patrol and informed that our speed is too high. A camera had picked us up doing 140 kmph. Instant fine was 1000 baht and my GF learnt her lesson, watch your speed at all times; more so when in a new or unfamiliar vehicle.

You were scammed out of 1,000Bt. On a long straight stretch in overtaking lane, no radar gun spotted, instant fine, no paper work?

136 kph! I just converted that to "God's units" (as my dear departed father would have said). That's just shy of 85 mph. Argh! Only 400 baht? And you're asking where the camera is located? Like you're planning to do this again?

...and the speed limit on Thai highways is???

While the Thais don't seem to know what the limits are anywhere, we should, though signs are not to be found anywhere. While officially it's 90kmh on intercity highways here, and 120kmh major on highways/freeways and motorbike prohibited, I prefer to stay within 110kmh.

Where speed cameras are used, there is no tolerance. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country)

120kmh increased the chance of fatalities considerably more than you'd think in many countries and a new limit of 110kmh was brought in. As for 136kmh....hmmmm

I've asked three policemen what the speed limit is on the main highway through our village. One said 80, another 90 and the third 110.

I was on the 118 on my bike early this morning (about 6:30am, when it was mostly empty)- I also thought there might have been a camera near the weigh station (I might soon find out as I passed it a fair clip). If that's the case it's going to generate a substantial amount of revenue as traffic (non-TV posters, of course;)) tends to move well in excess of 110kph on that stretch as the road is straight, the pavement is in excellent condition, and there's very good visibility both ways.

I'll take a closer look the next time I pass by (probably next Sunday morning when I'll get my ride in before the heat descends on us).

Never seen a speed camera in cm so wouldnt know what to look for

How do you know it wasnt a mobile one or just some guy on the side of the road taking pics with his phone?

Did you even get a pic?

I got one a few months ago on the long straight downhill stretch from Lampang into Lamphun. The cop was standing by the side of the road with the speed camera in hand so it was no surprise when the letter arrived in the post - a pic of the truck and a closeup of the license plate and a speed readout (126 kph for all you TVF queens to chastise me about). No mention of the speed limit and the fine was also 400 baht.

Never seen a speed camera in cm so wouldnt know what to look for

How do you know it wasnt a mobile one or just some guy on the side of the road taking pics with his phone?

Did you even get a pic?

He was the speeder and you want him to go back for repeat.cheesy.gif

Like you're planning to do this again?

Planning to NOT do it again which is why I wanted to know where the camera was

If you are planning to not do it again, it doesn't matter where the camera was, does it?

NOT break the speed limit?whistling.gif

According to the police yesterday, disclosure of police traps is illegal wai2.gif

NOT break the speed limit?whistling.gif

According to the police yesterday, disclosure of police traps is illegal wai2.gif

Wasn't there a thread here before where someone was asking where they were stopping and testing for drinking and driving, again so they could avoid them?

87 MPH. You must have been in a Mercedes Benz if you couldn't tell you were going too fast.

"So many of you complain about the standard of Thai drivers and now this knobhead wants to know where the camera is so he can avoid it"

I want to know where the speed camera is so that I can ensure that I am complying with the law.

The funny thing is that I am more disappointed with the suggestion that my standard of driving may be on par with the Thai's than your unnecessary use of unwarranted descriptive.

There are many mobile man operated cameras around, regularly one can be seen under the Don Chan intersection on the superhighway. The fixed cameras are usually a white pole that arches over the road to the right hand lane with a tiny camera on the end. I know of one at Fora Bee on the superhighway just after the second set of lights southbound, but regularly see them about.

The speed limit? As far as I am aware, 90kmph for cars and motorbikes and slower limits for other types of vehicle. I think that legally the only place yoy can exceed 90kmph is on the elevated tollways in Bangkok.

Archived