Caught by a speed camera in Doi Saket

Phrafarang

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and the speed limit on Thai highways is???

While the Thais don't seem to know what the limits are anywhere, we should, though signs are not to be found anywhere. While officially it's 90kmh on intercity highways here, and 120kmh major on highways/freeways and motorbike prohibited, I prefer to stay within 110kmh.

Where speed cameras are used, there is no tolerance. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country)

120kmh increased the chance of fatalities considerably more than you'd think in many countries and a new limit of 110kmh was brought in. As for 136kmh....hmmmm

As per definition...

Everybody seems to pretend that speed limits are unknown...

So, to clarify: speed limit in Thailand is 90 km / hour unless indicated otherwise... period

That is the general rule.

City limits signs and other signs that indicate lower speed limits= slow down

Signs on highways-toll ways that indicate higher speeds = ok to go

Thank you, I thought it may be near the weigh station.

Whilst I do not consider 85 mph to be particularly fast on that stretch, about 15 mph over the speed limit, which has virtually no connecting roads and is a two lane highway, I rarely exceed 80 KPH from before the Doi Saket junction of death all the way into Chiang Mai. Considering how often I get overtaken by Thai's, often in vehicles that should not be on the road, I would have to consider myself one of the slower drivers traveling from CR to CM but thank you for all the comments from you conscientious posters who never, ever exceed the speed limit :-)

Just poor excuses. You sound like a Thai (I wasn't going as fast as him) Get real sir & slow down. Next time it may be a kid on a bike that rides the wrong way or an old man on a bicycle. Maybe your brakes will fail. No excuse for speeding & endangering other peoples lives.

Thank you, I thought it may be near the weigh station.

Whilst I do not consider 85 mph to be particularly fast on that stretch, about 15 mph over the speed limit, which has virtually no connecting roads and is a two lane highway, I rarely exceed 80 KPH from before the Doi Saket junction of death all the way into Chiang Mai. Considering how often I get overtaken by Thai's, often in vehicles that should not be on the road, I would have to consider myself one of the slower drivers traveling from CR to CM but thank you for all the comments from you conscientious posters who never, ever exceed the speed limit :-)

Just poor excuses. You sound like a Thai (I wasn't going as fast as him) Get real sir & slow down. Next time it may be a kid on a bike that rides the wrong way or an old man on a bicycle. Maybe your brakes will fail. No excuse for speeding & endangering other peoples lives.

Very good mr.teacher,you probably come from the USA where you have to drive 130km on a 270miles straight stretch from L.A to L.V,if an old man is walking on the motorway then it's his mistake if he get killed.The way you sound you better stay at home but be careful maybe the coffee machine will have a short circuit.

There are good reasons why Thailand has the second highest vehicular mortality rate in the world, despite having some very good roads and we've seen many of the reasons displayed on this thread. Let's see (I may leave out a few)

low fines for speeding

lack of posting of speed limits

law enforcement officials who really don't care/don't know the speed limits

drivers who think nothing of drinking and driving

an attitude by the driving public that the rules don't apply to them

members of the driving public who sneer at those who'd like to see others observe the traffic rules

etc, etc

Is it any wonder I don't drive here?

You can be sure of one thing, any permanent camera will be on government land and attached to a government building. The weigh station is an excellent choice, and a location where many drivers speed up as the road is straight after many km of twisty roads.

Nancy - that may have been true many years ago - but it definitely is not true now.

I drove in Thailand the first time in 1991. It was terrifying and I swore I would never drive or own a car in Thailand. Ever.

Well, as with most things, one can get used to almost anything and I got used to driving here. There were moments like almost getting caught in a 15 car pile-up on Highway 12 just west of Khon Kaen.

But all in all, driving here has not been the terror my first experience led me to believe it would be. And I have noticed a real change in driving habits. While some things still scare me (inability of drivers to stay in their lane!), it is evident things are improving. Just look at the statistics - the number of fatalities is decreasing year by year in spite of the fact that the number of vehicles on the road is increasing. Where Thailand once ranked aboung the top ten for highway fatalities, it is now almost in the middle - yes], but still room for improvement.

Unfortunately, there are still the "cowboys"of yesteryear who think Thailand's highways are only for them, to do with as they please, regardless of the risks to others (and themselves).

I've driven in many countries. I may have received tickets for infractions from several - Germany some 45 years ago; Canada and the US since; and just last year, here in Thailand. In spite of what some people may think, the traffic laws - when enforced - are rather strict. Here you can get a photo-radar ticket for going 3km over the limit as I can witness to. Yes, enforcement is spotty but improving.

Perhaps some day the highway crazies will have learned to respect the laws here (or have moved to Cambodia).

There are good reasons why Thailand has the second highest vehicular mortality rate in the world, despite having some very good roads and we've seen many of the reasons displayed on this thread. Let's see (I may leave out a few)

low fines for speeding

lack of posting of speed limits

law enforcement officials who really don't care/don't know the speed limits

drivers who think nothing of drinking and driving

an attitude by the driving public that the rules don't apply to them

members of the driving public who sneer at those who'd like to see others observe the traffic rules

etc, etc

Is it any wonder I don't drive here?

Whilst the 400 baht fine will not break the bank I would like to avoid another one in the future.

Easy to avoid, Don't break the Law.

Its not that easy, travel from Pattaya to the airport and most of the road is 120km but them all of a sudden for a short stretch of road it goes to 90km and then back to 120km. If you miss seeing the 9m sign then you are in trouble. A friend of mine got dtopped and they said they had the photo to prove his speed, got fined 1,500Bt and promised they would send a copy of the photo to him which they did, trouble was it was NOT his car, try getting a refund nO that tea money has been spent already

So many of you complain about the standard of Thai drivers and now this knobhead wants to know where the camera is so he can avoid it? <deleted>!

I'm also a 'knobhead' (is that like 'richard cranium')?

The person asked where the camera is, not for a lecture from people who probably look like their avatar.

Most of the responses to this post are the same as responses to a post about a French man being electricuted in Pattaya.

Absolutely clueless.

So, for the majority, who don't know, does someone know where the camera is?

God dam, some people will respond to anything!

A flame post was removed

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Perhaps this should be in another topice or even in another forum, but.... A good time to talk about the myth of the terrible Thai drivers.

When it comes to information on Thai motor vehicle accidents, there seem to be three varieties: lies, guesses and statistics. A simple search on Yahoo or Google will bring up lurid headlines - Thailand almost worst for traffic deaths - Thailand 2nd worse... etc. IF you ognore the headlines and actually read the articles, a very different picture emerges.

Wikipedia and Fox "News" (the most lurid headlines) seems to be the worst offenders in this regard It is many years out of date and does not jive with any Thai government or ASEAN data. In 2011, the Government of Thailand reported there had been 8,093 traffic fatalities in Thailand in 2010. Official numbers. That works out to 11.9/100,00 inhabitants (Source: http://www.thaiwebsites.com/caraccidents.asp ). That places Thailand 2 spots worse than the USA with 11.6 fatalities per 1000,000 inhabitants - in 2010 (source Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate ). Another report places the USA at 10.668/100,000 (also from Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year ).

Go figure.

...and the speed limit on Thai highways is???

While the Thais don't seem to know what the limits are anywhere, we should, though signs are not to be found anywhere. While officially it's 90kmh on intercity highways here, and 120kmh major on highways/freeways and motorbike prohibited, I prefer to stay within 110kmh.

Where speed cameras are used, there is no tolerance. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country)

120kmh increased the chance of fatalities considerably more than you'd think in many countries and a new limit of 110kmh was brought in. As for 136kmh....hmmmm

I've asked three policemen what the speed limit is on the main highway through our village. One said 80, another 90 and the third 110.

Might as well ask a baboon about Newton´s third law ....whistling.gif

Whilst the 400 baht fine will not break the bank I would like to avoid another one in the future.

Easy to avoid, Don't break the Law.

Maybe the OP thinks there is no speed camera at all. But I agree at that speed he is going too fast and putting other road users at risk.

You only got a 400 baht fine???!!!! Consider yourself very lucky. A few weeks ago my GF and I returned from Korat in a new vehicle. Whilst the GF was driving, she didnt realise that the car actually was quite fast because of the comfort and lack of engine noise etc.

Long story short, we got stopped by the highway patrol and informed that our speed is too high. A camera had picked us up doing 140 kmph. Instant fine was 1000 baht and my GF learnt her lesson, watch your speed at all times; more so when in a new or unfamiliar vehicle.

The remainder of the trip was done at a more leisurely 110-120 kmph.

87 MPH. You must have been in a Mercedes Benz if you couldn't tell you were going too fast.

Agree. + The gf didn't realise that the car was quite fast. No nor did the ferlung passenger, never mind blame the gf. On to a different topic . What mayhem in Pattaya last night ?

Sometimes I just despair about this forum and the small minded pettiness that seems to be the norm from posters who probably don't even bother to read the posts before they add their three penny worth.

Look, I was 10 MPH over the speed limit and I got caught by a camera speed trap, I had not been drinking, i was not on the phone, I was not driving like a Thai, I was not boasting that I had broken the law.

I just asked if anyone knew where the camera was so that I can ensure that I am driving at a speed to keep you all happy

Has nothing to do with keeping anyone happy.

What you mean is where is the camera so you can slow down and not get nicked, before speeding up again.

The general consensus seems to be that if you stuck to the speed limit (a) you wouldn't get nicked, and (cool.png statistically you and other road users would be safer.

What's so hard to understand?

I know his type===business man rushing to another board meeting

Arizona legislators approved a bill late Wednesday that not only would allow drivers to travel up to 85 mph on state highways, but also includes an amendment that reduces the consequences of speeding. The bill left the House Appropriations Committee on a 9-to-5 vote and is now making its way to the governor's desk. The bill would make some Arizona highways among those with the highest speed limits in the country. Most of the language from the original bill remains the same. If the full bill is approved, drivers will be fined a maximum of $15 for speeding 10 miles over the speed limit, the violation would not be reported to insurance companies and the driver's record would not be affected.

Arizona legislators approved a bill late Wednesday that not only would allow drivers to travel up to 85 mph on state highways, but also includes an amendment that reduces the consequences of speeding. The bill left the House Appropriations Committee on a 9-to-5 vote and is now making its way to the governor's desk. The bill would make some Arizona highways among those with the highest speed limits in the country. Most of the language from the original bill remains the same. If the full bill is approved, drivers will be fined a maximum of $15 for speeding 10 miles over the speed limit, the violation would not be reported to insurance companies and the driver's record would not be affected.

Sounds a bit like tea money to me.

You were scammed out of 1,000Bt. On a long straight stretch in overtaking lane, no radar gun spotted, instant fine, no paper work?

No he wasn't. He does not deny doing that speed and he does not say he was paying tea money. Legitimate speed, legitimate payment. Where's the scam? 1000฿ is what I was charged by post with camera evidence just North of BKK. Seems all in order to me.

You were scammed out of 1,000Bt. On a long straight stretch in overtaking lane, no radar gun spotted, instant fine, no paper work?

No he wasn't. He does not deny doing that speed and he does not say he was paying tea money. Legitimate speed, legitimate payment. Where's the scam. 1000฿ is what I was charged by post with camera evidence just North of BKK. Seems all in order to me.

Perhaps he thinks they were only nicking foreigners?

If you're planning not to do this again why do you need to know where the camera is???

I think you mean to say is that you are not planning to do this again in the vicinity of a radar video trap Lol.

It's nice to see that you are adapting to the customs of your adopted country Lol.

400 baht is way too low a fine. 4000 might be a deterent? Someone mentioned on another thread that the temporary loss of your vehicle for x days or weeks whould be the best way to stop drink driving but it would work just as well with speeding. You pay the 400 baht fine and they say you can collect your car in 7 days or whatever. The convience might be very effective?

Maybe they could establish a dedicated 'speeder's prison' where your sentence would be determined by how many kilometers you were clocked above the limit- that would be really inconvenient...

This thread gives me the desire to hop and my bike and fly down that stretch of road at the double-ton. Who hasn't gotten a speeding ticket in their lives (most people have, except for every poster in this thread minus the OP, Prism, and myself- maybe we could share a cell)- if I got nailed by a speed camera, I'd sure like to know exactly where it happened so it doesn't happen again- why trash the guy who asked? I didn't see him making any excuses or feeling sorry for himself, and he wasn't going insanely fast in that particular spot, which is straight, has excellent sight-lines in both directions, and has very little traffic- it's not like he was doing laps around the moat.

87mph or whatever it was is not a good speed. The road isn't a motorway or autobahn type road. Houses and shops on either side. Are you aware that pedestrians have to cross this road. Locals trying to cross and u-turn on an old beat up Honda Dream. Riding against the traffic. Before you race down doing double-ton get out of your car and try crossing the road as a pedestrian or doing a u-turn on a bicycle or motorcycle loaded up with kids going to school. Its not pleasant standing on the side of the road waiting for a gap in endless 87mph pick ups and cement trucks traffic. Totally different world to inside your car with the aircon and stereo playing flying along at 87.

You're obviously not familiar with the stretch of road in question- drive down it sometime and see if you still advocate the confiscation of vehicles exceeding the speed limit on it. Like many roads, it has sections that dictate driving under the limit, and sections where the limit can be safely exceeded (i.e. the section on which the OP was cited). It has little traffic during much of the day (practically none in the early morning on the weekend). I doubt the OP was flying through rush hour dodging cars, as traffic flows at a high rate of speed there in any case- 120+ is the norm. There are certainly many areas where your description above would be accurate, but not the one being referred to.

As far as the camera goes, I think every person who's read this thread will be sure to slow down as they pass the area where it happens to be (if it's ever determined)- I sure will, and if I decide I can safely exceed the limit after passing it, I'll speed up again.

I am familiar with the road as far as the police station, Doi Saket temple area. Around that area i turn off to go to the dam. I dont travel down that road often as i travel by bicycle. So thats where my viewpoint comes from. Vehicles doing 87mph flying past me. Travelling slowly along this road you will see the locals crossing the road and going about their business. The city is moving out. Around about 2000 i used to go do a monthly visa run to Mae Sai. It was all fields and country side after the San Sai turn off. Now its housing estates, shophouses and big stores filling in the open spaces. In the next 10 or 20 years it may become one big suburb all the way to Doi Saket?

I am not anti car but i would say the speed limit needs to be dropped on that stretch of road to reflect the urbanisation. Its not the motorists fault that thai road planners dont think of other road uses than cars or the communities that the road cuts in two. A big chunk of motorists dont give a damn for other road users and are oblivious to what the road is like for pedestrians, old people, children packed into a songtaoew, motorcyclists experience with endless speeding cars and pick ups doing 87. If the motorists put themselves in their shoes for a day they might actually be happy to stay within the speed limit. They might think its the right thing to do!

Whoever suggested losing your vehicle for a month or two if you get caught drink driving, or losing it for x amount of days if you are well over the speed limit, that is a brilliant idea. I think it will work really well in Thailand. The shock and inconvience of losing your aircon metal box for a week! Standing on the side of the road trying flag a songtaow down,. Getting hit by the vortex after the speeding traffic flys past. This a much better deterrent than a fine.

perhaps slightly off topic ..............but to do with speed cameras-------------

In NSW ( Australia) there is a major move towards the installation of fixed point to point speed cameras.

ONe camera takes a snap of your car when you pass it ....................another camera at a fixed location further along the road takes another snap.

They compare the timings of the two pics and determine your average speed over the entire distance between the cameras. This distance could be over 50km between cameras..............could be any distance. Fines then arrive in the mail for offenders.

Moral of story ........................................slow down.

Archived