Caught by a speed camera in Doi Saket

Phrafarang

I'll repeat what I said in an earlier post, which was poo-poo'd by several others.

From the World Health Organization, Thailand ranks second in the world for traffic-related fatalities:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

A static that is questionable. Not ignoring it but think it is accepted that the more motorcycles on the road the worse the figures are likely to be. Last time I was in UK hardly saw a bike.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll repeat what I said in an earlier post, which was poo-poo'd by several others.

From the World Health Organization, Thailand ranks second in the world for traffic-related fatalities:

A static that is questionable. Not ignoring it but think it is accepted that the more motorcycles on the road the worse the figures are likely to be. Last time I was in UK hardly saw a bike.

Yes, that's the point, isn't it? Is it really a good idea to be going 85 mph on a road that you share with so many small motorbikes?

It seems I'm in the minority, but I'm with you OP. I drive pretty fast, sometimes unintentionally. Especially coming back from CR down 118, I'm usually flying down that road after a long day, just wanting to get home. Good to know that this road may be monitored--would be good to know where all the speed traps are. Speeding in itself is not dangerous, it's the reckless driving or driving impaired or being inattentive. Going 10 kph over the speed limit is not going to hurt anyone and after driving all these years without one serious accident, I'm living proof of that. But anyways, it seems the slow drivers are dominating this thread. I for one hate this speed trap idea, wish it was never imported from the west. Driving free of constant police surveillance was one of the joys of driving here.

Surely this is a troll post! It made me laugh. ...speeding itself is not dangerous...going 10kph over speed limit isnt going to hurt someone!?! Hit somebody doing 90kph ( if thats the speed limit) and they will fly into air with shattered legs and smashed skull and will dead. Hit them at 100kph what do they do? Dust themselves off and walk home?

Are you serious? Talk about trolling. I drive well over 100 kph pretty consistently and I've never killed anybody. But I'm pretty sure you can kill someone going 70 kph. Should we make that illegal?

The point was you can kill somebody within the speed limit so no need to go faster. The faster you go the longer it takes to stop. With the big random thai element of whats going on on at the side of the road and crazy local drivers its safer to stay within the speed limit. Just my opinion though.

Understand. Believe me, getting into any kind of accident is something I seriously avoid with a passion. I'm also quite an aware and safe driver...who likes to drive a bit faster than most others. Anyways, not trying to offend anyone out there.

Good point. Something like 75% of fatalities in Thailand are motorcycles. Not dismissing the figures, but if you're in a car, your chances of being a statistic decreases substantially.

Yes, that's the point, isn't it? Is it really a good idea to be going 85 mph on a road that you share with so many small motorbikes?

Agree, but quoting statistics from a totally different driving environment is questionable to make a point. More bikes, no helmets bound to be more fatalities. Driving standard may be no better.

Good point. Something like 75% of fatalities in Thailand are motorcycles. Not dismissing the figures, but if you're in a car, your chances of being a statistic decreases substantially.

Oh, NOW I see! It's OK to drive 85 mph when you're protected by 2 tonnes of aircon steel because YOU'RE not very likely to die when you run into a small displacement motorbike who can't go 85 mph or an old man trying to cross that highway -- which isn't a limited access highway, incidentally. Because after all, those statistics don't apply to you, just the poor locals who can't afford the protection of a million baht vehicle.

Oh, NOW I see! It's OK to drive 85 mph when you're protected by 2 tonnes of aircon steel because YOU'RE not very likely to die when you run into a small displacement motorbike who can't go 85 mph or an old man trying to cross that highway -- which isn't a limited access highway, incidentally. Because after all, those statistics don't apply to you, just the poor locals who can't afford the protection of a million baht vehicle.

Was not saying anything of the sort. Just saying statistics can be a bit misleading. Sorry to spoil your day.

A zinger, NancyL! clap2.gif

The argument about statistics (and the point is, indeed, reasonably made about the proportion of motorcycles) still totally misses the point that excessive speed is one of the principal causes of accidents. You can argue endlessly what "excessive" means. It varies. But I would suggest that especially in Thailand, even on a dual carriageway, where "clear sailing" is indicated, that conditions can change in a hurry whether it be fog, a rain squal, an old man crossing, a slow vehicle entering the road --- whatever: 120kph may even be going too fast Then, there is driving at excessive but much slower speeds in very different circumstances (around the moat, for example!) that can be very hazardous.

I sometimes wonder if those who complain are the same ones who complained (maybe still do) about seat belts or wearing helmets as restrictive of their freedoms. Well, if you like speed, please stick to the salt flats on the Mohave Desert in North America. There are other people and conditions on Thai roads.

I have been told by a reliable source that they are putting speed and observation cameras around the entire moat. They are going to get addicted to all this new revenue, and we are going to see CM blanketed with these cameras over the coming years.

I have been told by a reliable source that they are putting speed and observation cameras around the entire moat. They are going to get addicted to all this new revenue, and we are going to see CM blanketed with these cameras over the coming years.

Only revenue if you break the law.

Great! Let's hope they ticket not only speeders, but people making right turns from left lanes, left turns from right lanes, failure to use turn signals, and failure to stop for pedestrians.

Great! Let's hope they ticket not only speeders, but people making right turns from left lanes, left turns from right lanes, failure to use turn signals, and failure to stop for pedestrians.

Perhaps. Which will mean that all the folks who are crowing about these cameras will be getting nabbed as well. Som num na.

I'm stating the obvious. I've never "run into a small displacement motorbike." Are you suggesting that car drivers are intentionally out to wipe motorbikes off the road? If not, why would you make such an amazingly stupid comment?

Perhaps. Which will mean that all the folks who are crowing about these cameras will be getting nabbed as well. Som num na.

Yes... but ONLY if they are breaking the law. It's actually pretty easy to go through life without breaking the laws every time you drive a motor vehicle. So easy, in fact, that one has no need to even worry about it!

Yes... but ONLY if they are breaking the law. It's actually pretty easy to go through life without breaking the laws every time you drive a motor vehicle. So easy, in fact, that one has no need to even worry about it!

Sure about that? Going 5 kph over the speed limit is breaking the law. You've never done that?

Sure about that? Going 5 kph over the speed limit is breaking the law. You've never done that?

Yes, I have done 5 kph above the limit. Do not post on a forum complaining about it if I get nicked.

Generally... no, I don't do that. I've never had the need to save 30 seconds on a 10-minute ride through town. Granted, on long distance all-day driving I may feel the urge to get home a bit quicker, but then logic takes over and I realize that even speeding the entire trip wouldn't get me home all that much sooner... A matter of 20-30 minutes perhaps. For a short trip in or around town, I'd only be saving seconds at most, and risking life and limb (mine as well as everyone else's) so why take the chance.

Remember, we aren't discussing saving several hours. We're talking about saving a few minutes or a few seconds. When I really want to ride fast, I do it on a track where there are no possibilities of injuring someone else. Nothing wrong with going fast. But there is a time and a place for it. City streets aren't the place.

I dont mind, i get around on a motorbike and a bicycle, both do not have plates

I dont mind, i get around on a motorbike and a bicycle, both do not have plates

Gee! Wow! Cool! rolleyes.gif

What amazes me is how few people know the speed limit here. 120kmph is only allowed on expressways. Expressways do not extend north of Rangsit, there isn't an expressway within 600km of Chiang Mai. The speed limits on motorways are as shown in the image below, taken from Google Maps on the highway south half way to Lamphun.

post-78027-0-18109600-1434383151_thumb.j

Several people have said the OP was only 10kmph over the speed limit, when in fact he was exceeding the limit by over 50%. I'm not saying this is how I drive, I find 110kmph to be perfectly safe, but at least know the law.

edit: I also find the 50% difference between 10 wheel trucks and cars to be stupidly dangerous.

Really- so as a 'skilled motorcyclist' you strictly stay in the left-hand-lane at all times? You drive the speed limit even if traffic is flowing above it and let yourself be constantly overtaken even though it's safer for a bike to be moving slightly faster than traffic?

Are you making that point for cars only?

You can certainly make a valid argument regarding not driving/riding at very high speed for safety reasons, but a blanket statement about not breaking the law in general seems silly when there are road laws in place in Thailand that actually reduce your margin of safety. As a rider you do what's necessary to keep yourself in the safest possible position regardless of the law, or don't consider yourself to be skilled.

I break the law every time I ride my motorcycle to increase the chances that I'll keep the hard parts off the pavement.

What amazes me is how few people know the speed limit here. 120kmph is only allowed on expressways. Expressways do not extend north of Rangsit, there isn't an expressway within 600km of Chiang Mai. The speed limits on motorways are as shown in the image below, taken from Google Maps on the highway south half way to Lamphun.

attachicon.gifThai speed limits.jpeg

Several people have said the OP was only 10kmph over the speed limit, when in fact he was exceeding the limit by over 50%. I'm not saying this is how I drive, I find 110kmph to be perfectly safe, but at least know the law.

edit: I also find the 50% difference between 10 wheel trucks and cars to be stupidly dangerous.

Hmmm according to that sign the speed limit for my pickup truck is 80 kph(50 mph) - that's ridiculous and I don't intend to obey it.

Everywhere in Thailand one is blocked by vehicles so slow that we must exceed them.

And often, these exceedances are major causes accidents..

In the west as here I do not look for the official limitations. I drive at the same speed than other with more 2 million kilometers safely.

Really- so as a 'skilled motorcyclist' you strictly stay in the left-hand-lane at all times?

Of course not! I often use the right hand lane for passing slower moving vehicles, which is within the law. I just don't cruise in the right-hand lane. That would be a violation.

You drive the speed limit even if traffic is flowing above it and let yourself be constantly overtaken even though it's safer for a bike to be moving slightly faster than traffic?

If you feel that you need to move faster to be safe, you are lacking basic riding skills. It certainly is 'easier' to move faster in order to 'feel' safer, but that really isn't the case at all. Letting other vehicles pass does not endanger a skilled motorcyclist. It does, however, frighten those with less skills.

You can certainly make a valid argument regarding not driving/riding at very high speed for safety reasons, but a blanket statement about not breaking the law in general seems silly when there are road laws in place in Thailand that actually reduce your margin of safety.

Which laws are those? I don't think I'm aware of them.

I break the law every time I ride my motorcycle to increase the chances that I'll keep the hard parts off the pavement.

That choice is yours to make. In 50 years of riding, I've never found the need.

Most of us know it's not alright,but any living biker knows to give way to everything,might is right in any country and dead is dead,right or wrong.I spend more time looking in the rear vision mirror after 2 recent deaths,run over from behind.

^^

The law that forces you to ride in the left reduces your margin of safety. If you cruise in the left-hand-lane in Thailand (where it's generally less safe to do so than the right-hand-lane) to avoid a violation even though it decreases your margin of safety, please don't brag about your skills or years of riding (I've owned one motorcycle or another continuously over the past 25 years in three countries- like you, including several years in Japan and 15 accident-free years riding sport bikes over 1000cc in Thailand)-, so don't play that game with me as it won't work- I don't rent a bike once or twice per year and brag about it). I not referring to your 125cc scooter that doesn't have the power to flow with faster four-wheeled-traffic. Why would you think it's safer to be in the lane where traffic is constantly exiting and entering the road?

If you think cruising slightly faster than traffic while on your bike is incorrect, you're uninformed as to the safest way to proceed on the street. Allowing yourself to be constantly overtaken means you have to rely on the skills of others to pass you safely- if you're moving slightly faster, you not only have greater control of the situation, but you also increase your visibility. It has nothing to do with being 'frightened' (again, nice try at ad hominem), but, rather, it has to do with taking as much control of the riding environment as possible.

As you claim to love riding your post seemed hypocritical (as did your response to my post) so I called you out on it.

I was going to say 'Lets go for a ride' but then I realized you don't own a motorcycle.

Archived