Caught by a speed camera in Doi Saket

Phrafarang

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been told by a reliable source that they are putting speed and observation cameras around the entire moat. They are going to get addicted to all this new revenue, and we are going to see CM blanketed with these cameras over the coming years.

Some Thai pollie would have done a study tour of the West and seen this untapped source of income,literal gold mine in revenue.This will only stop the poor from speeding,unless they fine as a % of income.This is much fairer and safer to all.I was on the back of a motorsai taxi in Bangers and he suddenly pulled up at a changing red light. I asked why he pulled up and he pointed out the red light camera.

Never seen a speed camera in cm so wouldnt know what to look for

How do you know it wasnt a mobile one or just some guy on the side of the road taking pics with his phone?

Did you even get a pic?

I got one a few months ago on the long straight downhill stretch from Lampang into Lamphun. The cop was standing by the side of the road with the speed camera in hand so it was no surprise when the letter arrived in the post - a pic of the truck and a closeup of the license plate and a speed readout (126 kph for all you TVF queens to chastise me about). No mention of the speed limit and the fine was also 400 baht.

I got one from there about a month ago going 122kph. Didn't see the cop though but my wife told me where that speed trap is. Pretty sneaky being on the downhill stretch.

Just copying what they have been doing in the West for decades.

Like you're planning to do this again?

Planning to NOT do it again which is why I wanted to know where the camera was

NOT break the speed limit?whistling.gif

According to the police yesterday, disclosure of police traps is illegal wai2.gif

Wasn't there a thread here before where someone was asking where they were stopping and testing for drinking and driving, again so they could avoid them?

In your opinion, what is wrong with being well informed ??

Gotta love the sanctimonious posters on here yearning to create some sort of little america and another police state.

Presumably they don't really like Thailand as is ( otherwise there would be fewer complaints ) and are even less likely to have any understanding of the place.

The number of aging westerners married to non Thais who are facing all sorts of family-less end lonely end game scenarios is a serious concern.

It ain't Florida.

Don't know know about santimonious,but it must be better than being a hypicrite.So you drink and drive and speed because you can,minor fine.Avoiding the police would be better you rekon.Well Thailand is finally playing catchup,whether you like it or not.The more drunks and speeders of the road,the safer it is for the rest of us.As far as your last 2 statements,most of us have friends,how about you?

Sometimes I just despair about this forum and the small minded pettiness that seems to be the norm from posters who probably don't even bother to read the posts before they add their three penny worth.

Look, I was 10 MPH over the speed limit and I got caught by a camera speed trap, I had not been drinking, i was not on the phone, I was not driving like a Thai, I was not boasting that I had broken the law.

I just asked if anyone knew where the camera was so that I can ensure that I am driving at a speed to keep you all happy

You were driving like a Thai,a Thai that doesn't care about anybody but himself.Lower your eyes in your car/bike,that thing in front of you is a speedo.It tells you all you want to know.You wont keep me happy because now i know you will be speeding every where that doesn't have a camera.

Gotta love the sanctimonious posters on here yearning to create some sort of little america and another police state.

No... Just yearning for a place where our children and our old folks can cross the street safely. Where people riding bicycles don't fear for their lives every time they get on the road... perhaps one day not having to wear the reflective safety vests most need to wear today. Maybe even a place where there is no need for speed cameras or police checks because people stop being selfish when on the roads.

400 baht is way too low a fine. 4000 might be a deterent? Someone mentioned on another thread that the temporary loss of your vehicle for x days or weeks whould be the best way to stop drink driving but it would work just as well with speeding. You pay the 400 baht fine and they say you can collect your car in 7 days or whatever. The convience might be very effective?

Maybe they could establish a dedicated 'speeder's prison' where your sentence would be determined by how many kilometers you were clocked above the limit- that would be really inconvenient...

This thread gives me the desire to hop and my bike and fly down that stretch of road at the double-ton. Who hasn't gotten a speeding ticket in their lives (most people have, except for every poster in this thread minus the OP, Prism, and myself- maybe we could share a cell)- if I got nailed by a speed camera, I'd sure like to know exactly where it happened so it doesn't happen again- why trash the guy who asked? I didn't see him making any excuses or feeling sorry for himself, and he wasn't going insanely fast in that particular spot, which is straight, has excellent sight-lines in both directions, and has very little traffic- it's not like he was doing laps around the moat.

87mph or whatever it was is not a good speed. The road isn't a motorway or autobahn type road. Houses and shops on either side. Are you aware that pedestrians have to cross this road. Locals trying to cross and u-turn on an old beat up Honda Dream. Riding against the traffic. Before you race down doing double-ton get out of your car and try crossing the road as a pedestrian or doing a u-turn on a bicycle or motorcycle loaded up with kids going to school. Its not pleasant standing on the side of the road waiting for a gap in endless 87mph pick ups and cement trucks traffic. Totally different world to inside your car with the aircon and stereo playing flying along at 87.

You're obviously not familiar with the stretch of road in question- drive down it sometime and see if you still advocate the confiscation of vehicles exceeding the speed limit on it. Like many roads, it has sections that dictate driving under the limit, and sections where the limit can be safely exceeded (i.e. the section on which the OP was cited). It has little traffic during much of the day (practically none in the early morning on the weekend). I doubt the OP was flying through rush hour dodging cars, as traffic flows at a high rate of speed there in any case- 120+ is the norm. There are certainly many areas where your description above would be accurate, but not the one being referred to.

As far as the camera goes, I think every person who's read this thread will be sure to slow down as they pass the area where it happens to be (if it's ever determined)- I sure will, and if I decide I can safely exceed the limit after passing it, I'll speed up again.

Bugger me,the God Complex.If i decide it's ok,it MUST be ok then.I bet you never had this GC when you were in your own country,where you certainly belong for a serious attitude adjustment.

Those Cycle Lycra Ninjas who use the Hi Way as a race track and playground need sortin, not just Drivers. See the way they behave on You Tube

That's very true too. There's room for improvement by everyone who uses public roads.

Perhaps. Which will mean that all the folks who are crowing about these cameras will be getting nabbed as well. Som num na.

Yes... but ONLY if they are breaking the law. It's actually pretty easy to go through life without breaking the laws every time you drive a motor vehicle. So easy, in fact, that one has no need to even worry about it!

Sure about that? Going 5 kph over the speed limit is breaking the law. You've never done that?

Generally... no, I don't do that. I've never had the need to save 30 seconds on a 10-minute ride through town. Granted, on long distance all-day driving I may feel the urge to get home a bit quicker, but then logic takes over and I realize that even speeding the entire trip wouldn't get me home all that much sooner... A matter of 20-30 minutes perhaps. For a short trip in or around town, I'd only be saving seconds at most, and risking life and limb (mine as well as everyone else's) so why take the chance.

Remember, we aren't discussing saving several hours. We're talking about saving a few minutes or a few seconds. When I really want to ride fast, I do it on a track where there are no possibilities of injuring someone else. Nothing wrong with going fast. But there is a time and a place for it. City streets aren't the place.

You're arguing that driving fast is all about getting there quicker, which isn't necessarily the case. My normal speed of driving on the highway is always going to be faster than the posted speed limit. It's bizarre how some people are equating going a few kph over the speed limit with wanton disregard for human life. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

So many of you complain about the standard of Thai drivers and now this knobhead wants to know where the camera is so he can avoid it? <deleted>!

I'm also a 'knobhead' (is that like 'richard cranium')?

The person asked where the camera is, not for a lecture from people who probably look like their avatar.

Most of the responses to this post are the same as responses to a post about a French man being electricuted in Pattaya.

Absolutely clueless.

So, for the majority, who don't know, does someone know where the camera is?

God dam, some people will respond to anything!

Yes we know,but we are not telling self confessed knobs.

Louse, have you been drinking (it's a bit early...)? I tried running your last few posts through Google Translate, but it wasn't any help.

Sorry,i didn't know there was a law about drinking early,i am a night shift worker,and day is night to me.Anyway i'm only driving a keyboard,so that's ok.Google translate wont help with any language.

Louse, have you been drinking (it's a bit early...)? I tried running your last few posts through Google Translate, but it wasn't any help.

Sorry,i didn't know there was a law about drinking early,i am a night shift worker,and day is night to me.Anyway i'm only driving a keyboard,so that's ok.Google translate wont help with any language.

I remember the good old days when you would be stopped at a checkpoint, the officer would point at your license plate number scribbled on a dirty piece of paper in his hand, he would say "you go too fast, you pay now" and I would say like "noooo.... impossible where was that?" and then the police would get angry and shout at you. Turns out it was the good old officer on a bridge with binoculars, stopwatch an a radio way before the checkpoint.cheesy.gif

So you accept when you drive outside the law you are safe. Great. Suppose drunk drivers think the same. Yes I have exceeded speed limits, young and bulletproof.

There you go with the drunk driving thing again. Look, I don't condone unsafe driving. But this thread is about going a little over the speed limit and getting ticketed for it. Some of you may applaud this, I don't. If you guys want to live in a nanny state where the gov beats you over the head over every minor traffic infraction, so be it. I like the freedom of being able to drive a bit fast and like I said, I'm probably in the minority. Most Thais drive pretty slow, and I suppose you guys are all for that. Whatever.

By your rekoning everybody in Thailand can drive over the speed limit as long as they think it's ok.Well,if that type of irresponcibility was true,i for one would get off the road.Thank goodness most drivers in this country(Thai) have better responcibility than you.

So you accept when you drive outside the law you are safe. Great. Suppose drunk drivers think the same. Yes I have exceeded speed limits, young and bulletproof.

There you go with the drunk driving thing again. Look, I don't condone unsafe driving. But this thread is about going a little over the speed limit and getting ticketed for it. Some of you may applaud this, I don't. If you guys want to live in a nanny state where the gov beats you over the head over every minor traffic infraction, so be it. I like the freedom of being able to drive a bit fast and like I said, I'm probably in the minority. Most Thais drive pretty slow, and I suppose you guys are all for that. Whatever.

By your rekoning everybody in Thailand can drive over the speed limit as long as they think it's ok.Well,if that type of irresponcibility was true,i for one would get off the road.Thank goodness most drivers in this country(Thai) have better responcibility than you.

Why does it seem that everyone that comes to Thailand wants to turn it into the Nanny State which they just left... Part of the appeal of living in an country like Thailand is that for the most part you get left alone to do as you please, as long as you don't hurt anyone... If you want to live in a society that caters to your every social need, then by all means do so as there are plenty to choose from, but please stop trying to change something that is out of your control... Or are you under the impression that anything you say will make one iota of difference in the enforcement of traffic laws in Thailand? Titling at windmills on TVF doesn't count...

Why does it seem that everyone that comes to Thailand wants to turn it into the Nanny State which they just left... Part of the appeal of living in an country like Thailand is that for the most part you get left alone to do as you please, as long as you don't hurt anyone... If you want to live in a society that caters to your every social need, then by all means do so as there are plenty to choose from, but please stop trying to change something that is out of your control... Or are you under the impression that anything you say will make one iota of difference in the enforcement of traffic laws in Thailand? Titling at windmills on TVF doesn't count...

Thats a good point but i dont think it applies to thai roads. How many people come over here for the dangerous roads and record breaking death toll and injuries?

" get left alone to do as you please as long as it doesnt hurt anyone..." I dont think you can apply this live and let live attitude to speeding and road safety. Driving at 87mph is fine until you hit someone. Even if you hit another car someone wil get hurt,die or be crippled. Someone on two wheels will be more likely to be dead. Getting an effective driving test up and running, getting the Police to get serious about road safety, designing the roads better, more traffic lights, subways and foot bridges will improve the life of every person in Thailand. Thailand still wouldnt be a nanny sate even if this happened.

Those Cycle Lycra Ninjas who use the Hi Way as a race track and playground need sortin, not just Drivers. See the way they behave on You Tube

What exactly are they doing?I have not seen the video. Are they cycling along the side of the road in the motorcycle lane at 25mph getting some hard exercise?

What amazes me is how few people know the speed limit here. 120kmph is only allowed on expressways. Expressways do not extend north of Rangsit, there isn't an expressway within 600km of Chiang Mai. The speed limits on motorways are as shown in the image below, taken from Google Maps on the highway south half way to Lamphun.

attachicon.gifThai speed limits.jpeg

Several people have said the OP was only 10kmph over the speed limit, when in fact he was exceeding the limit by over 50%. I'm not saying this is how I drive, I find 110kmph to be perfectly safe, but at least know the law.

edit: I also find the 50% difference between 10 wheel trucks and cars to be stupidly dangerous.

Hmmm according to that sign the speed limit for my pickup truck is 80 kph(50 mph) - that's ridiculous and I don't intend to obey it.

Hopefully you will get caught and made to pay a big fine. Ridiculous by whose standards, yours? You are in the country and you should obey the rules accordingly. If you dont and get caught dont come moaning here as it is your own fault

What amazes me is how few people know the speed limit here. 120kmph is only allowed on expressways. Expressways do not extend north of Rangsit, there isn't an expressway within 600km of Chiang Mai. The speed limits on motorways are as shown in the image below, taken from Google Maps on the highway south half way to Lamphun.

Several people have said the OP was only 10kmph over the speed limit, when in fact he was exceeding the limit by over 50%. I'm not saying this is how I drive, I find 110kmph to be perfectly safe, but at least know the law.

edit: I also find the 50% difference between 10 wheel trucks and cars to be stupidly dangerous.

Hmmm according to that sign the speed limit for my pickup truck is 80 kph(50 mph) - that's ridiculous and I don't intend to obey it.

Hopefully you will get caught and made to pay a big fine. Ridiculous by whose standards, yours? You are in the country and you should obey the rules accordingly. If you dont and get caught dont come moaning here as it is your own fault

I am sure there are some on here who would love to report people for speeding and bad parking, if they had the chance.

"He was speeding officer, it's disrespectful to Thailand, cancel his visa and deport him...."

Nutters.

This is a very interesting thread to see how many different view we all have on speed and speeding. From my background in the UK doing 50mph if you were not on a motorway would be a good fast speed and not considered slow. On a motorway it would be seen as slow and most people are doing 70mph or a bit more.

But in Thailand on a non motorway type road with higher element of anything goes chaos 50mph is considered absurdly slow to some posters. That same speed in the UK on safer roads is seen as fast.

What is it about driving responsibly that makes you call it a Nanny State? You like the appeal of "living in an country like Thailand is that for the most part you get left alone to do as you please, as long as you don't hurt anyone.." No blame in that, certainly. But unfortunately, statistics prove that speeding increases road fatalities. They prove that drinking and driving increase road fatalities. So while we'd all love to do just as we please (so long as it doesn't hurt anyone,) we know for a fact that doing certain things DO hurt other people. THIS IS FACT. So knowing this, and still doing the things that hurt others is little more than selfish, irresponsible behavior. Yet I'm sure you don't think of yourself as being selfish. (It's always 'someone else' who has the accidents, right? Of course, to them, YOU are the someone else...)

Don't let things like 'facts' stand in your way of doing what you please. The dead on the side of the road won't judge you.

I have already been caught gandalf. The Thai government fined me 400 baht, I paid it without complaint and the matter is settled. I have always decided which laws I will obey and which I will not under the circumstances at the time, both here and back in the US where I am a citizen. When caught for civil disobedience of laws I personally deem to be wrong I have and will continue to suffer the consequences without complaint. You are welcome to live your life as you see fit.

Where exactly is the speed camera? I read through all the responses but couldn't see someone answering that.

thanks.

It seems it would be against the law to do so.

This reminds me of the scene in the old Henry Fonda movie, "Mr. Roberts."

I am sure there are some on here who would love to report people for speeding and bad parking, if they had the chance.

"He was speeding officer, it's disrespectful to Thailand, cancel his visa and deport him...."

Nutters.

There probably are and as he puts other peoples life in danger is that such a bad thing or do you condone people driving like idiots? I dont for one

Archived