possible scam

nikmar

Yesterday, I was approached by a western guy looking a little distressed. This was around the BTS at Poonawhiti about 5 in the afternoon. He explained that he only had American dollars but couldnt exchange them anywhere as all the banks and exchange booths had told him there was a problem with the "banking system". He tried to persuade me to buy some dollars off him ( 300 bt for 10 dollars).

I didnt go for it and he got a little irate with me and told me a few times that he was desperate and could be trusted.

My question is this, did anyone have problems with their banks as Im wondering if he was genuine. I suspect not as he kept repeating that the notes were genuine which set alarm bells off immediately.

Anyway, be aware.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Well at least he was giving you a pretty good exchange rate, assuming the notes were real. Today's rate for US 10 dollar notes at Super Rich is 33.47 so you could have made a few bhat. I'd say that anytime you're approached by a total stranger and money is involved then somehow you're about to be scammed.

but couldn't exchange them anywhere as ALL the banks and exchange booths had told him there was a problem with the "banking system"

Find that one hard to believe.

And he had no credit cards or access to an ATM??

Scam written all over it.

Hard to say. I have never seen a fake 10$ before. loads of 100's..........maybe he was a drug user and had lost is id and ....or or or will never know....But I agree best to avoid people like this. They often use an ice breaker to get a foot into the door, Then scam you for the big amount.

Hello,

To the original poster i am a lon time reader on this forum and only to reply to this i register now ^^

This guy was me

First of all

It was around 15:00

Secondly i not said ALL bsnks but the one around asoke shopping center , they told me atm some network is down

And i never even asked for a serval but ONLY 10 dollars

And i never said or claimed that they are fake or not

So please go and call someone else a scammer

Fair play about the time.

You said they were not fake.

You told me the exchange booths (10 in fact) around nana couldnt exchange for you.

I didnt call you a scammer. I was asking if anyone else had bank or exchange problems.

If you are genuine then apologies and good luck.

But its unusual to have no atm card when you re resident here.

If you meet someone in Bangkok,in the next few days wanting you

to buy a ten dollar note for 300 THB,it will be OK as he has been on

this forum to explain he is not a scammerfacepalm.gif

regards worgeordie

You're not an idiot

You take the dollar, you go to exchange & they're fake, you go to monkey house & pay with real dollar to get out.

You lose twice & have your back passage interrogated whilst in Kline by a huge African drug deal who is wanting you a his beatch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived