Visa, Work Permit..

3stan

My present situation:

I just signed a contract (Rajabat uni) and i need to get work permit and visa. Right now, all i have is a stamp (3o days) in my passport. What's the first step? Some school 'officials' are telling me that i need to go to the immigration in bkk first (they say they'll give me a non immigrant visa over there), but a friend of mine says that i need to go to Penang before that to get a visa. If so, what type of visa? A tourist visa? Or an other kind of visa? Would i need contract + letter from my school for this kind of visa?

Thanks

Ok, they (school officials) are telling me that there's a new law that makes it possible for someone (with a contract and a letter from the school) to get a non immigrant B visa directly at immigration in bkk without having to go to Penang first.. but in order to do that i need at least 21 days left on my 30 days 'stamp visa' ..anyone heard of that?

Edited by 3stan

Kenkannif, our resident expert, will be along shortly, no doubt to assist but I believe that only a tourist visa - that is the formal visa that you pay for and obtain at a Thai consulate abroad and not in Thailand - can be converted into a non-immigrant B visa at immigration in BKK. You've only got the 30 day entry stamp on arrival.

Ok, they (school officials) are telling me that there's a new law that makes it possible for someone (with a contract and a letter from the school) to get a non immigrant B visa directly at immigration in bkk without having to go to Penang first.. but in order to do that i need at least 21 days left on my 30 days 'stamp visa' ..anyone heard of that?

You can change visas from tourist to non-imm at immigration, I did it about Jan last year. There is a special room upstairs for this process (room 301? or 201? or something like this). Yes you need lots of days left on your tourist visa because they take a few weeks to process it. I had to extend my tourist visa downstairs first. I recall a big tense guy behind the desk who was quite strict, requiring all the documents correctly worded etc.

Thanks for your answers folks.

Grover, when you say :"You can change visas from tourist to non-imm at immigration', do you mean '30 days stamp visa'? Or the kind of visa you get in Penang?

I mean, can i just go to the immigration office with my '30 days stamp visa' (provided that i have enough days left (21?) on it), or do i first need to go to Penang to get a (6o days?) tourist visa ?

The school offiicals are also telling me that it only takes a few hours to process, and that if i go to immigration in the morning, i can get my visa on that same day. But why would i need at least 21 days left on my visa then? Doesn't make sense.

ok, i got confirmation that it is possible to obtain a non immig visa from immigration in bkk provided that you have at least 21 days left on your 30 days 'transit/stamp' visa..why does one need to have 21 days left..? This i don't quite get, since i should be given a new non immig visa on the post/on the same day......