Elephant injures two Thais on Rayong beach

Thaivisa News

Rayong:- An elephant gored a Thai man and kicked another when its owner led it to beg for foods on a Rayong beach late Monday night.

Witthawat Uanduangdee, 21, the owner, was arrested and fined by police following the incident that took place at a roadside foods shop on the PMY Beach in Rayong's Mueang district.

Pol Lt Thawat Nongsingha, an officer on duty of the Mueang Rayong police station, was informed of the incident at 11:30 pm Monday.

He inspected the scene and was informed that the two injured men had been rushed to the Bangkok Rayong Hospital.

The two men were identified as Weeranat Yoodee, 28 and Thongpoon Boonraksa, 30. Weeranat was gored at his right side of the body and on the chest, inflicting two wounds on the chest and one on the right side of the body. Thongpoon was kicked at his right side of the body.

Their friend, Kusuma Laoparn, 32, told police that the three of them were drinking and eating on a mat on the roadside when Witthawat led the elephant to them, asking them to buy sugarcane to feed the pachyderm.

Kusuma said she refused to buy the sugarcane and the mahout turned to signal to the elephant not to walk closer to the group but the elephant somehow turned angry and attacked Weeranat and Thongpoon.

Witthawat said he took two elephants from Buri Ram's Chumphol Buri district to sell elephants' feeds to tourists. He has been selling the feeds for four days without problems. He said his elephant was apparently frightened by a flash or certain light and it stopped after the attack.

Witthawat was charged with taking elephants out of his province without permit and for causing injuries to others.

Male jumbo stabs employees with tusks on Rayong beach

16-6-2558-12-38-36-wpcf_728x408.jpg

RAYONG: -- Two employees of True Corporation were injured when they were attacked by a 5-year-old male elephant on the beach in Rayong province last night.

The elephant was brought in from Buriram province to make earnings by the mahout by selling sugarcanes to tourists on the beach to feed the jumbo.

Rayong police said the mahout, Witawat Ouanduangdee, 21, brought two elephants to Rayong on a ten wheel truck.

He left a 4-year-old elephant on the truck and brought the older one walking along the beach looking for customers to feed his jumbo.

When he saw the two employees sitting on the mat eating and drinking in front of a food used stall on the beach, he approached them urging them to feed his elephant.

He sat on the mat asking repeatedly for the two to feed it.

However he was rejected by the two men who asked him to keep the jumbo away as it followed him to stand on the mat.

Unexpectedly, the elephant charged in and stabbed one employee identified as Viranad Yoodee, 28, with its tusks on the chest and also kicked his colleague on the back.

The jumbo then returned calm as if nothing happened, police said.

Both were admitted to Rayong hospital where Viranad was described in serious condition from stab wounds.

The mahout told police that the jumbo might be frightened by sudden flashlight and charged at the two men.

Police said they charged the mahout for recklessness in bringing the elephant to public place and assaulted the employees, and also illegal bringing elephant out of its place.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/male-jumbo-stabs-employees-with-tusks-on-rayong-beach

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-16

'Elephant Beggar' Attacks Two Beach-goers in Rayong
By Khaosod English

14344320921434432141l.jpg
The elephant that attacked tourists on a beach in Rayong on 16 June 2015.

RAYONG — Two people have been hospitalized after they were attacked by an elephant that was being used to beg for money on a beach in eastern Thailand.

Kusuma Laopan, 32, said she and two of her friends were sitting on a beach in Noen Phra district of Rayong province last night when a man led a 5-year-old male elephant over and asked the group to buy sugar cane for the animals.

After she and her friends refused, the elephant handler, known as a mahout, started to walk away, but one of the elephants suddenly snapped and charged at two of her friends, Kusuma said.

"I and other tourists in the area ran for our lives," Kusuma recounted. "Luckily, the mahout stepped in and stopped the elephant, so it stopped harming other people. The mahout then led the elephants away to the other side of the road."

The two victims have been identified as Weeranat Yoodee, 28, and Thongpoon Boonraksatrakul, 30. Weeranat was struck by the elephant's tusks in his chest, while Thongpoon suffered bruises on his right rib cage from the elephant's stomping, according to medical workers at Krungthep Rayong Hospital.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1434432092

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-16

It should to totally illegal to bring elephants into populated areas for this begging crap. Arrest the mahout, toss his ass in jail for a month, put the elephant in a good place, and ban the mahout from owning anything bigger than a house lizard.

Even the idiot that took the photo should have a tusk stuck somewhere. Elephants don't like bright lights.

elephant SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE!!!!! - how comew the police didn't notice someone travelling around with 2 <deleted> elephants in a truck!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

this country as an absolutely disgraceful record when it comes to handling an animal they regard as a national symbol......they should stop and think what their treatment of these creatures actually symbolises.........an utter disgrace!

!

I thought all this had been stopped didn't this chap know it was all these elephant people were told not to go into the public domain ,

Just as all the people not wearing crash helmets on motorbikes DON'T know they should wear them. The people of this country don't give a fig about rules, regulations, laws and just do as they please with little or no regard for others.

Very young male elephant with very young mahout walking around together within the public domain is a recipe for trouble.

I don't know why they call the guy a mahout - that is someone who spends a lifetime with the elephant. He is most likely nothing more than a chancer.....

Furthermore I would also doubt that he was the owner.....the usual arrangement is that the animals are hired from an owner by some hopeful wishing to earn a few bucks by dragging the creatures around the streets.

As far as I'm aware it is very rare to see this in Pattaya in the neighbouring province but the authorities in Sri Racha still seem to be turning a blind eye to this as do the authorities on the coast of Rayong.

for this to happen, it must be with the connivance of some local officials........and I doubt permission is given for free.......THIS NEEDS TO BE STOPPED - naming and sharing might help.

Even the idiot that took the photo should have a tusk stuck somewhere. Elephants don't like bright lights.

elephant SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE!!!!! - how comew the police didn't notice someone travelling around with 2 <deleted> elephants in a truck!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

this country as an absolutely disgraceful record when it comes to handling an animal they regard as a national symbol......they should stop and think what their treatment of these creatures actually symbolises.........an utter disgrace!

!

True. To be honest, there isn't much in this country that isn't tawdry, exploitative and cruel when it comes to the treatment of most animals. Pimping out their national symbol to walk on hot roads, avoiding stupid drivers, etc just to turn tricks for indolent "mahouts" beer money doesn't seem to be a problem to a lot of Thais either..

Add to the fact that some of these guys actually train the elephants to harass and intimidate people. A party of friends who recently turned down an offer to feed one animal received a cascade of snot from the trunk of one pachyderm recently. gigglem.gif Lovely.

!

True. To be honest, there isn't much in this country that isn't tawdry, exploitative and cruel when it comes to the treatment of most animals. Pimping out their national symbol to walk on hot roads, avoiding stupid drivers, etc just to turn tricks for indolent "mahouts" beer money doesn't seem to be a problem to a lot of Thais either..

Add to the fact that some of these guys actually train the elephants to harass and intimidate people. A party of friends who recently turned down an offer to feed one animal received a cascade of snot from the trunk of one pachyderm recently. gigglem.gif Lovely.

I think most of us who live here already know this, so I don't really get your point...are you saying nothing will change or are you simply condoning the situation?

^Perhaps I should have posted in caps? Not condoning this situation at all, just saying the Thais tolerate it. Venting on a expat forum won't change much.

i think venting anywhere has some effect - there is much to suggest that it is not just Thai people who are ignorant of the plight of elephants both here in Thailand and around the world....and if reading this results in anyone reconsidering buying some mangoes to fed a street animal then it has had an effect.

foreigners in particular are targeted by these people whenever the opportunity arises as they are considered far more naive a target than the locals, many of whom contrary to popular belief on this forum, are well aware of the issues and are increasingly angered by the lack of action by the authorities.

i idea that "nothing's gonna change" I think is both sad and inaccurate......"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Elephant kills Thai man at beachside restaurant
AFP

RAYONG: -- An elephant killed a 28-year-old Thai man and injured his colleague as they were eating dinner at a beachside restaurant in eastern Thailand, police said on Wednesday.

The local telecoms employee died in hospital after the elephant gored his chest with its tusk as he ate hotpot with a fellow worker in the coastal city of Rayong late Monday.

"They were talking to the mahout (elephant keeper) about buying food for the elephant when it suddenly stabbed one man in the chest with its tusk and kicked the other," local police Lieutenant Thawat Nongsingha told AFP.

The mahout has been charged with offences including violating animal welfare legislation and negligence causing death, Thawat said.

He added the mahout had been released from custody while the elephant was still under the mahout's care.

The maximum penalty for negligence causing death is 10 years in jail and a fine of 20,000 baht ($600).

Thailand's roughly 4,000 domesticated elephants outnumber an estimated 2,500 remaining in the wild. The capture of wild elephants for entertainment use is banned.

Domestic elephants in Thailand -- where the pachyderm is a national symbol -- have been used en masse in the tourist trade since they found themselves unemployed in 1989 when logging was banned.

They are prohibited from entering cities but incidents of mahouts using the animals as a tool for begging are not uncommon, while elephants are frequently used legally for the amusement of holidaymakers in camps and zoos.

The telecoms worker died on Tuesday while his 30-year-old colleague remains in hospital.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-06-17

If they're banned in cities, why are there still so many around in cities? Perhaps it's a lot of work and no pay to enforce the law.

I can only do my bit by refusing to pay 20baht for a piddling amount of sugar cane for an (up to) 6 ton giant. What sustains them the rest of the time when they're not living on a couple of hundred calories of sugar?

I got into a fairly heated discussion (not my style, but it was launched at me) about this topic with a BG one time. My angle was that we should leave them and their habitat alone to let nature do it's own management. Her angle was that it was necessary to earn money in the city in order to take care of them. You can imagine how successful that discussion was.

Archived