Divemasters And Instructors

H2oDunc

I was just wondering what the divemasters and instructors on Tao and other islands are now going to be doing. I know when I was there the majority of them were doing the visa run every month. Are they now going to get legal. Are the dive shops who up to now have just used them as cheap labour like the burmese going to arrange to get them work permits. If the dive shops dont help I can forsee a big lack of staff. I suppose divemasters and instructors with a work permit are going to be in great demand. Its going to be an interesting few months. Cheers Dunc

Probably similar as it is (or was a few years back) in Phuket, where up to 3 DM's and/or Instructors pool together and get a company going which should allow them with 3 workpermits. If you move on you sell your workpermit to the next one in line.

Dive companies can only issue an "x" amount of work permits, pending on how many Thais are working for them and a few more regulations.

That's my first impression, I'm not sure how easy or difficult it is nowadays to start up a company.

Edited by limbos