Terminating on signal 15

Anthony5

I get this often these days. I have an aircard sitting in a 3G router.

In the morning or whenever I come home and start my computer, I notice I don't have an internet connection.

When I look in my router for the modem status, I will notice that my ISP has assigned me an IP address and I'm connected with a fair signal, but there is no data dowmload.

Traffic reading will say 0/0 for packets send and received.

When I then look in my routers system log, it will show that the connection was "terminated on signal 15" shortly after i put my computer to sleep. I always put it in hibernate.

Simply resetting the router will give me connection again.

I have searched for this problem, and there seems to be a solution, only I have no idea how to apply it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1177021

I personally fixed it by changing /lib/udev/rules.d/85-ifupdown.rules by replacing "--allow auto" with "--allow hotplug".

Now is this an issue with my PC, because the modem terminates only a few minutes after I put PC in hibernate, with my aircard or with my router?

As you may know, "Terminating on signal 15" SIGTERM (Signal Termination) is the verbose description posted when a close daemon request is received either by an active user or a programmed coded response.

In this case a monitor daemon on the router is probably initiating a SIGTERM to conserve "AIR" Interface resources when no clients are active on the router. PC Ethernet and WLAN activity usually stops completely when you put that interface to sleep. If another connected device had a DHCP lease and was active the modem would probably stay up.

As you may know, "Terminating on signal 15" SIGTERM (Signal Termination) is the verbose description posted when a close daemon request is received either by an active user or a programmed coded response.

In this case a monitor daemon on the router is probably initiating a SIGTERM to conserve "AIR" Interface resources when no clients are active on the router. PC Ethernet and WLAN activity usually stops completely when you put that interface to sleep. If another connected device had a DHCP lease and was active the modem would probably stay up.

I have no possibility to connect another device in that location.

It seems that changing a setting in the firmware will solve the issue, changing allow auto to allow hotplug, but I'm not able to read the firmware.

Using Notepad 2 it will give strange characters. Any idea which program to use?

I would suggest you contact the manufacturer.

Most router OSes are embedded (small/compact, special purpose) but may will allow CLI (Command Line Interface) or other access to directly edit their config files.

Firmware:

While you might be able to download a copy and unpack the .bin firmware file and make changes there, many Router OSes do validation checks before accepting firmware flashes. If the hashcode and security don't jive then the flash will automatically fail.

Might give you an idea of what tools can be used to edit the firmware file (use and knowledge of linux may be required)

Hak5 forum: Router Hacks

firmware-mod-kit

binwalk

I would suggest you contact the manufacturer.

Most router OSes are embedded (small/compact, special purpose) but may will allow CLI (Command Line Interface) or other access to directly edit their config files.

Firmware:

While you might be able to download a copy and unpack the .bin firmware file and make changes there, many Router OSes do validation checks before accepting firmware flashes. If the hashcode and security don't jive then the flash will automatically fail.

Might give you an idea of what tools can be used to edit the firmware file (use and knowledge of linux may be required)

Hak5 forum: Router Hacks

firmware-mod-kit

binwalk

On second look, I have actually another device connected to the router, as there is a wireless CCTV camera that connects to it.

Now since my network stays active, I still can see the wireless camera during these events, I wonder if it is actually the router or the aircard that shuts down.

Isnt the aircard giving the router the "signal"? A router will never lose a signal unless the signal is not there, it will keep it forever. Aircards are typically buggy I suspect that is your problem

Indeed that is what I try to figure out.

In the modem status it shows still my signal strength and the IP address assigned by the ISP, but the data counters are at 0.

So in fact, even the aircard hasn't shut down, because then there would be no signal strength or IP address visible.facepalm.gif

The router is treating the aircard as an old-fashioned modem, connecting and talking to it, sometimes using the old Hayes Instruction Set.

The text in the router log is the recorded setup maintenance chatter occurring between the router and the 'modem'.

There are 64 potential 'signal' actions/responses: 1) SIGHUP 2) SIGINT 3) SIGQUIT 9) SIGKILL 14) SIGALRM 15) SIGTERM 19) SIGSTOP 20) SIGTSTP ...and so on.

"Terminated on Signal 15" recorded in the router logs says some process on the router recorded a shutdown process. But the line on its own isn't an indication of what triggered the shutdown or why. That could be higher up in the log record.

So, this could have been the result of...

...a communication error with the Modem (aircard) being encountered and pppd on the router OS triggered a shutdown

...a glitch in the router OS resulting in an error state that triggered a pppd shutdown
...a pre-programmed response triggered by some recorded rule when there's a lack of ppp activity

Have you had this issue with the 3G router before? With DTAC, with TRUE?

My guess when there is no activity from a device (computer) the aircard disconnects itself from host and then naturally the router loses the signal. My experience with aircards has been problematic when run straight into a computer without a router. I imagine thats where the problem lies. Just a guess though.

The router is treating the aircard as an old-fashioned modem, connecting and talking to it, sometimes using the old Hayes Instruction Set.

The text in the router log is the recorded setup maintenance chatter occurring between the router and the 'modem'.

There are 64 potential 'signal' actions/responses: 1) SIGHUP 2) SIGINT 3) SIGQUIT 9) SIGKILL 14) SIGALRM 15) SIGTERM 19) SIGSTOP 20) SIGTSTP ...and so on.

"Terminated on Signal 15" recorded in the router logs says some process on the router recorded a shutdown process. But the line on its own isn't an indication of what triggered the shutdown or why. That could be higher up in the log record.

...a communication error with the Modem (aircard) being encountered and pppd on the router OS triggered a shutdown

...a glitch in the router OS resulting in an error state that triggered a pppd shutdown

...a pre-programmed response triggered by some recorded rule when there's a lack of ppp activity

I had this issue with the Dtac sim as well, but maybe once a week.

With the True sim, which has a much stronger signal strength than the Dtac, it happens at least twice a day and even while being online like tonight at 22.20.

Below are my system and security log from the router this morning. WAN status was connected with IP address showing and signal at 74%, but no data figures.

I started the PC at 8.50 AM and the signal had terminated about half an hour earlier.

router log.txt

Jun 18 08:21:29 (none) local2.debug pppd[1263]: rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x7]

Jun 18 08:21:29 (none) local2.info pppd[1263]: LCP terminated by peer

Jun 18 08:21:29 (none) local2.debug pppd[1263]: ipcp: down

Jun 18 08:21:29 (none) local2.info pppd[1263]: Connect time 8132180.8 minutes.

Jun 18 08:21:29 (none) local2.info pppd[1263]: Sent 17159000 bytes, received 277067047 bytes.

Jun 18 08:21:29 (none) local6.debug upnpd[1598]: Shutting down on signal 15...

LCP (Link Control Protocol) forms part of the PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol).

Wikipedia - In setting up PPP communications, both the sending and receiving devices send out LCP packets to determine the standards of the ensuing data transmission (checks the identity of the linked device and either accepts or rejects the device, determines the acceptable packet size for transmission, searches for errors in configuration, can terminate the link if requirements exceed the parameters).

"LCP terminated by peer"

Verbose message meaning your Internet Provider requested the link be terminated, usually coincides with "Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer"

Some error state was registered or a data error on the 'air' interface link was detected and an orderly termination of the connection was initiated.

I'm very surprised that your router doesn't reset the link and retry to connect. It's absolute shutdown seems harsh.

It's been noted that if a Service Provider detect *any* private address traffic directly leaking over the "air" interface connection, they terminate it. But if you didn't have *any* active LAN/WLAN devices connected at the time then this doesn't seem to apply.

Jun 18 08:21:29 (none) local2.info pppd[1263]: Sent 17159000 bytes, received 277067047 bytes.
Wikipedia - In setting up PPP communications, both the sending and receiving devices send out LCP packets to determine the standards of the ensuing data transmission (checks the identity of the linked device and either accepts or rejects the device, determines the acceptable packet size for transmission, searches for errors in configuration, can terminate the link if requirements exceed the parameters).
"LCP terminated by peer"
Verbose message meaning your Internet Provider requested the link be terminated, usually coincides with "Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer"
Some error state was registered or a data error on the 'air' interface link was detected and an orderly termination of the connection was initiated.
I'm very surprised that your router doesn't reset the link and retry to connect. It's absolute shutdown seems harsh.
It's been noted that if a Service Provider detect *any* private address traffic directly leaking over the "air" interface connection, they terminate it. But if you didn't have *any* active LAN/WLAN devices connected at the time then this doesn't seem to apply.

There is a CCTV camera connected 24/7 to the router by WLAN. Could that be the reason?

"LCP terminated by peer"

Ok, about 20 minutes after I logged on this evening the system shut down again on signal 15. From the log I can see that a similar event had happened about an hour earlier, while the PC was off, but the system had reset automatically at that time.

router log.txt

And another shutdown only minutes after I restarted the system

router log.txt

"LCP terminated by peer"

There is a CCTV camera connected 24/7 to the router by WLAN. Could that be the reason?

The Internet Provider initiated the orderly termination of the connection.

I only mentioned the bit about ISPs terminating connection when detecting *any* private address traffic directly leaking over the "air" interface connection because sometimes users misconfigure special features that can cause erroneous packet routing.

But in your case I would look at the environment. What might cause a 'air interface' connection issue?

Noisy Electrical

Marginal or Low signal level

Low Signal to Noise ratio, high noise floor

High RF congestion from nearby users

adjacent frequency interference, harmonic interference

High SWR from being too close to a wall or metal object

Then again, it could just be the nature of the connection and the ISP wants to time out the connection after it's been up for a while, but your router isn't set to break and immediately retry.

BTW, I'm assuming you've set the Intellinet 300N as "WAN FailOver: Disabled".

"LCP terminated by peer"

The Internet Provider initiated the orderly termination of the connection.

I only mentioned the bit about ISPs terminating connection when detecting *any* private address traffic directly leaking over the "air" interface connection because sometimes users misconfigure special features that can cause erroneous packet routing.

But in your case I would look at the environment. What might cause a 'air interface' connection issue?

Noisy Electrical

Marginal or Low signal level

Low Signal to Noise ratio, high noise floor

High RF congestion from nearby users

adjacent frequency interference, harmonic interference

High SWR from being too close to a wall or metal object

Then again, it could just be the nature of the connection and the ISP wants to time out the connection after it's been up for a while, but your router isn't set to break and immediately retry.

BTW, I'm assuming you've set the Intellinet 300N as "WAN FailOver: Disabled".

Wan fail over is enabled.

Priority : 3G/3.5G

Idle timeout : 60 sec

Ping target : 8.8.8.8

The strange thing is that I haven't changed anything but the ISP, and with the previous ISP this would happen once a week or so, but sure not 3 times a day.

In the manual it says it you Enable WAN FailOver that it won't retry the default connection when it fails.

What happens it you disable this option?

Edit:

Or if the 3G won't work with this disabled, Increase the idle timeout, or find a local external IP address with a very short pingtime and put that in there.

It might be failing on the ping, or it might be failing on LCP errors.

In the manual it says it you Enable WAN FailOver that it won't retry the default connection when it fails.

What happens it you disable this option?

Thanks for taking the time to look at the manual. I will disable it and report the result at last by tomorrow evening, because by then it should have been failed at least once already.

Yea, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are the Google Public DNS Servers and are pingable, and are usually vary quick (sometimes quicker than the ISP's own in-house DNS Servers ... but if the initial ping response doesn't come back quick enough then your connection gets automatically dumped.

I'm hoping by setting the connection to WAN FailOver: Disabled that it will go into perpetual retry mode on the default interface.

Your router logs may still show the LCP errors but it should also show the connection retry (which I noticed it did in the third log you provided, so the pppd program isn't that stupid).

Yea, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are the Google Public DNS Servers and are pingable, and are usually vary quick (sometimes quicker than the ISP's own in-house DNS Servers ... but if the initial ping response doesn't come back quick enough then your connection gets automatically dumped.

I'm hoping by setting the connection to WAN FailOver: Disabled that it will go into perpetual retry mode on the default interface.

Your router logs may still show the LCP errors but it should also show the connection retry (which I noticed it did in the third log you provided, so the pppd program isn't that stupid).

Thanks for the help, disable WAN failover seems to have done the trick.

The router still terminates on signal 15, but reconnect automatically.

router log.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like tonight new ways have been detected to get me disconnected. Happened twice already this evening.

I lose connection, go look in my router and notice that WAN is still connected, still have IP assigned but my traffic counter is reset and counting again, however I can't connect to any website.

I have to reset the router to get a connection again.

Is this something that happens at my side or True's side?

Modem log.txt

Starts getting pretty annoying.

Everything fine for 2 weeks with no disconnections, then this evening 5 already.

The last 3 I watched closely. I get disconnected, get the yellow triangle in the network icon.

I go check in the router and WWAN is disconnected, but router resets itself, get new IP address and traffic counter is reset and starts counting again but can't connect to any website.

Then yellow triangle appears again, but router shows still traffic in and out. Have to reset router manually, but takes several minutes to get IP address assigned, and signal strength gets weaker on every reconnection.

Please tell me if this is from my side or the providers side, so I can make a decision to dump True or not.

Modem log.txt

Reads like a True Network issue.

sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "No network protocols running"]
sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "No network protocols running"]
(none) local2.notice pppd[1386]: Connection terminated.
Required handshaking isn't occurring on their network. Your router does a reset, redial, then a full reset (lose of data/time) and retries again. True just stops talking after a while. Router resets to reconnect.
May just be a temporary glitch.
Would help diagnose if you also had a smartphone connecting to True 3G to confirm a 3G network issue. But that's what the logs indicate.

Reads like a True Network issue.

sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "No network protocols running"]
sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "No network protocols running"]
(none) local2.notice pppd[1386]: Connection terminated.
Required handshaking isn't occurring on their network. Your router does a reset, redial, then a full reset (lose of data/time) and retries again. True just stops talking after a while. Router resets to reconnect.
May just be a temporary glitch.
Would help diagnose if you also had a smartphone connecting to True 3G to confirm a 3G network issue. But that's what the logs indicate.

The full resets are done manually, because I see the traffic counter active, though I can not connect to any website and have the yellow triangle in the network icon.

I do have a smartphone with True sim, and there seemed to be no issue

You have a smartphone with a True SIM, and it connect to and actively access 3G Internet sites/services without issue at the same time the 3G Router cannot?

And if you swap the SIMs between the smartphone and router, does the issue stay with the router or go with the SIM?

So, how is the 3G router connection so far today?

Archived