Australian father, son assaulted in Chiang Mai

Thaivisa News

Seems we have only heard ONE side of the story so far.

Just how much was the bill they tried to walk out on ? Just how many drinks (and food and "songs") did they buy ? Were they like a lot of other 2 week millionaires that like to ring the bell a lot to show how rich they are (then get surprised when they realize that ringing the bell means buying a round for everyone) ?

Of course no tourist would ever rack up a bill and then try to sneak out without paying for it. Uh uh - never happens ! Just like no tourist would ever make up a story and skip out on their hotel bills either. (Just 2 weeks ago I saw a 2 guys try to sneak out of a beer bar without paying for the 2 beer they'd had (one each) ! The first guy got up and walked away, then his buddy stood up and "pretended" to get a phone call. Puts the phone to one ear and a finger in the other and starts heading for the street. One of the waitresses had been watching him (as had the owner and myself) and she intercepted him before he'd gotten 15' away. Of course he tried to make it look like he was just trying to hear whoever was supposedly talking to him (by walking out onto the busy street full of people).

Makes me wonder just how many times they try (and get away) with that ? Little wonder that in most places I've been in North America, you pay when you get your drinks and very few let anyone, especially complete strangers, run a tab.

Hmmmm, I wonder what would happen if I went into an Australian nightclub, spent the evening buying drinks (and "whatever") and then got all huffy when I saw the total and tried to leave without paying ? (One difference would most likely be that the media would maybe try to present both sides of the story).

One thing is for sure. The people blaming the thai establishments in this thread wouldn't be blaming the aussie one if you happened to be beaten up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Title is wrong.

Stupid drunk tourist refused to pay the bill.

If the bill was 20,000 baht is he stupid? Without knowing the full facts what entitles you to be so judgmental?

Yes, still stupid. He should just pay and head straight to the police station instead of going through such an ordeal.

What if they were expecting to be presented with a reasonable bill at the end of their time in this so called establishment? Many tourists don't know any better than to stay away from these places. What if they only had 10,000 between them? Beating would have most likely still happened. And 10,000 was probably still too much to pay for an evening in this place. Ignorance an stupidity are two entirely different states of being. Which state are you in?

I see the TVBTV (Thia Visa Blame the Victims) Group is out if full force on this post.

It's amazing all the folks out there who know the whole story, without knowing any of the actual details, and have drawn the conclusion that the fellow with the knife wound and 'Dad' are clearly at fault. Amazing how many clairvoyants and psychics we have as TV members, especially among the TVBTV crowd.

The one thing that we do know of sure is that this happens at Chang Klan Karaoke bars consistently, and the PTB who should do something about the situation do nothing. Why? TIT. <cha-ching> ฿฿฿฿฿฿

What's to know? Hundreds if not thousands of low-life farang come to Thailand every year and try to pull the same stunt, not only in bars but restaurants and countless food stands. That's why the term 'farang' can often be used by Thais in a derisive manner reflecting the negative encounters theyve had with many farang who often mistaken Thai kindness and hospitality as signs of weakness and try to take advantage of it.

"What's to know? You could have stopped writing there.

Tourists beaten and stabbed, but police feel the need to have a chat with the Karaoke bar before taking any action, as opposed to making arrests and then conducting interviews....... A stark reminder that we're in a third world country hiding behind a facade of shopping malls.

They didn't pay the bill that's why they were stabbed. You make it seem like they were attacked for no reason.

Suppose it was 2 chinese tourists who were stabbed i garner your reaction would be different.

They didn't pay so they were stabbed, and that is OK? Why do these threads always descend to victim blaming? Even if they refused to pay a legitimate bar bill, There is never an excuse for an assault, and using knife is attempted murder. Full stop.

Chiangmai karaoke is just a scam, with ridiculous tabs going to tens of thousands for the pleasure of drinking a few beers in the company of an illiterate tribal. Prices pulled out of thin air, cops are in on it, and savvy punters will use caution or completely steer clear.

Just heard from a local copper 30 min ago, tonight 2 beers= 14000 Bhat bill, cops are getting fed up with it too.

Seems no will from the CM Governor down to the BIB to stop this rort thats been going on for years.

First time tourists are not to know about these scum bag operators. Sickening and nothing gets done.The BIB/Junta could stop it overnight

which leads to speculation why they don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Having and all night bender might be dumb but it isn't a crime, stabbing someone is.

I'm sure the Aussies learnt their lesson in regards to being scammed.

Similar scams all over Asia if you aren't careful. I got presented with a BS bill in Manila by a mama san who was accompanied by a guy with a shotgun. I paid the bill, went home and vowed never to be so stupid again. I forgot my vow but luckily never got stitched up like that again.

Where on earth do you find karaoke clubs for tourists, forget the locals, cheap?

Arrogance at such places invites trouble anywhere. Lucky, it ended such.

how dare you back these criminal places that use violence and extortion

surprised these pricks are still allowed to operate with the publicity they are getting

Having and all night bender might be dumb but it isn't a crime, stabbing someone is.

I'm sure the Aussies learnt their lesson in regards to being scammed.

Similar scams all over Asia if you aren't careful. I got presented with a BS bill in Manila by a mama san who was accompanied by a guy with a shotgun. I paid the bill, went home and vowed never to be so stupid again. I forgot my vow but luckily never got stitched up like that again.

You got juked alright. I would have given them pfft as is not how they do it in the PI, blow you away in a bar- hard to deal with or explain. Usually one is found dead in the boot of a stolen taxi in the middle of nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

There's a few Chiang Mai karaoke shops that prey on tourists and are well known for their scams. Sit down for a couple hours and you get presented with a bill for 30 or 40,000 baht. Then they beat the crap out of you if you don't pay up. They've been doing this for a long time and have beaten up a lot of tourists with no repercussions.

Not exclusive to Thailand, clip joints in Soho, Reeperbhan etc etc. Not much the law can do anywhere.

So all you farang apologists don't think people get beat up for not paying their tab in US/UK/Australia? Stuff like this happens all the time there and often it goes unnoticed, and in worse case scenarios, victims are never heard from again.

Yes, Thais can be guilty of over charging but if you stay in a bar and drink until 6am, expect to be taken advantage of anywhere in the world. Sadly many farang bring misfortune upon themselves with loudmouth, belligerent behavior while treating Thais like dirt.

And tell me who many places in US/UK/Australia presents a 20k bill instead of 2K to foreigners (arbitrary numbers).

And minorities in those countries have been overcharged for decades by white owned businesses and still do today. It wasnt until 40-50yrs non-whites were allowed to eat/drink in the same place as whites.

These places are universal, there are few countries where they dont exist and extort, in the UK they are called clip joints.

So all you farang apologists don't think people get beat up for not paying their tab in US/UK/Australia? Stuff like this happens all the time there and often it goes unnoticed, and in worse case scenarios, victims are never heard from again.

Yes, Thais can be guilty of over charging but if you stay in a bar and drink until 6am, expect to be taken advantage of anywhere in the world. Sadly many farang bring misfortune upon themselves with loudmouth, belligerent behavior while treating Thais like dirt.

And tell me who many places in US/UK/Australia presents a 20k bill instead of 2K to foreigners (arbitrary numbers).

And minorities in those countries have been overcharged for decades by white owned businesses and still do today. It wasnt until 40-50yrs non-whites were allowed to eat/drink in the same place as whites.

These places are universal, there are few countries where they dont exist and extort, in the UK they are called clip joints.

I thought they were called "Theme Pubs".

The two Aussies were in the karaoke bar for five hours , they have five hostesses accompanying them and the whole nights bill came to 12000 Baht , that is very reasonable, considering they had food and drinks for seven people .

They then got the bill and refused to pay , the younger one then attacked the tuk tuk driver, blaming him for bringing them to a rip off place , they Thais then retaliated .

I think that the drunken Aussies thought 12000 baht was a huge amount of money , like 12000 Aussie dollars

Archived