Australian father, son assaulted in Chiang Mai

Thaivisa News

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tourists beaten and stabbed, but police feel the need to have a chat with the Karaoke bar before taking any action, as opposed to making arrests and then conducting interviews....... A stark reminder that we're in a third world country hiding behind a facade of shopping malls.

stories have a least two sides ...

Tourists beaten and stabbed, but police feel the need to have a chat with the Karaoke bar before taking any action, as opposed to making arrests and then conducting interviews....... A stark reminder that we're in a third world country hiding behind a facade of shopping malls.

I think both sides are guilty of breaking the law, the 'customers' for not paying the bill and the establishment for taking the law into their own hands. At least, that would be the way I would read it.

Ulic made a good point earlier in the thread that everyone on TV (regular viewers anyway) are aware of these karaoke bar scams, however your average tourist generally goes out to enjoy themselves with eyes full shut. Trouble usually kicks off when the the over-inflated bill arrives on the table.

Easy in hindsight to say that prices should be checked before ordering....................wink.png

Thanks Chris, That really does sum it up.

We were not there, and hard to figure it all out. I have been here 5 years, never stepped foot in a Karaoke Bar, never rented a jet ski, only take a tuk tuk when there is no other option, etc...speak enough Thai to get pretty fair pricing when I buy things ... so really not a subject matter expert on getting ripped off.

I really have to just take a leap of faith that enough people are saying rip offs in Karaoke bars are a norm.

I have traveled a fair bit, and not even the bar at a 5 star hotel, do I run up a tab. I pay as I go. And I mean even in the west ... until my second or third visit, then it is fine .. I know the score.

It is hard to place blame here, since some lads fueled up and out having fun, may very well have told them to stuff an insanely high bill, and they went a bit overboard stabbing them for it.

I am going to chalk this up to "boys will be boys" and thankfully in a week, all will be forgotten ... unless they foolishly decide to go back to settle the score .. which is a fool's errand and can end with meaningful blunt force trauma and the next headline will include "RIP" replies.

Lads, it is what it is, go get a soapy and chalk this one up to experience.

The infamous chan klang karaoke shops take another scalp.....every time this happens

every time this happens police promise a clean up of these bars in Chiang Mai this never happens

as a expat in C M I warn every one stay away from Karaoke Bars

>>Weerayut said police found that the father and son drank and ate at the Kinnaree Karaoke shop on the Chang Klan Road Monday night but they refused to pay the bill, claiming the drinks and foods were too expensive.<<

Bloody idiots!!

Clearly steroids and alcohol don't go well together!! (Look at the 60!! year old father)

Not all men have to be fat f***s when they are 60. Besides... what makes you think he is on steroids?

cheesy.gif Steroids.. clearly JOC has no idea what he is posting about (happens often). If that is the result of steroids or obvious steroid then I wonder what real bodybuilders sometimes use (super super super steroids). The guy is just a bit lean, not big or muscular at all.

Not everyone is a fat bastard from drinking JOC.

Seems we have only heard ONE side of the story so far.

Just how much was the bill they tried to walk out on ? Just how many drinks (and food and "songs") did they buy ? Were they like a lot of other 2 week millionaires that like to ring the bell a lot to show how rich they are (then get surprised when they realize that ringing the bell means buying a round for everyone) ?

Of course no tourist would ever rack up a bill and then try to sneak out without paying for it. Uh uh - never happens ! Just like no tourist would ever make up a story and skip out on their hotel bills either. (Just 2 weeks ago I saw a 2 guys try to sneak out of a beer bar without paying for the 2 beer they'd had (one each) ! The first guy got up and walked away, then his buddy stood up and "pretended" to get a phone call. Puts the phone to one ear and a finger in the other and starts heading for the street. One of the waitresses had been watching him (as had the owner and myself) and she intercepted him before he'd gotten 15' away. Of course he tried to make it look like he was just trying to hear whoever was supposedly talking to him (by walking out onto the busy street full of people).

Makes me wonder just how many times they try (and get away) with that ? Little wonder that in most places I've been in North America, you pay when you get your drinks and very few let anyone, especially complete strangers, run a tab.

Hmmmm, I wonder what would happen if I went into an Australian nightclub, spent the evening buying drinks (and "whatever") and then got all huffy when I saw the total and tried to leave without paying ? (One difference would most likely be that the media would maybe try to present both sides of the story).

For those who have decided that the 60yo is pumped up with steroids and showing his bum should tack another look at the picture and take another guess which one is the father.

Going to a dodgy area in a strange country to drink until 0600 is always going to be fraught with danger and I'm not making excuses for the duo's idiot behaviour, but most aware people here know of this type of massive overcharging scam that happens all too often in this country.

Blame the crooks who present the massive bill at the end of the session and then try to extract it with knives and lumps of wood, not the foolish victims.

I would say the father, is the one without the stab wound in his chest.

For those who have decided that the 60yo is pumped up with steroids and showing his bum should tack another look at the picture and take another guess which one is the father.

Going to a dodgy area in a strange country to drink until 0600 is always going to be fraught with danger and I'm not making excuses for the duo's idiot behaviour, but most aware people here know of this type of massive overcharging scam that happens all too often in this country.

Blame the crooks who present the massive bill at the end of the session and then try to extract it with knives and lumps of wood, not the foolish victims.

You can take a look at the picture as many times as you like and guess as much as you like, but wont change the fact that it is the father standing up and the son is lying on the mat..wai.gif

This is a good point, why blame the victims of the scam if they don't know.

Surely its the fault of the Thai government for not warning foreigners coming to Thailand.

That's the excuse they use with drug smugglers, 'If you come to Thailand carrying drugs, you risk the death penalty'

So they should also provide warnings, if you come to Thailand looking to have a good time, you also risk becoming victim to various scams and death.

Given the 'Experience Thainess' tourism promotion, I think the government should crack down on Thai tourist bunco.

Make an example of these people because in threatening the reputation of Thailand, they erode important tourist revenue in the long term.

>>Weerayut said police found that the father and son drank and ate at the Kinnaree Karaoke shop on the Chang Klan Road Monday night but they refused to pay the bill, claiming the drinks and foods were too expensive.<<

Bloody idiots!!

Clearly steroids and alcohol don't go well together!! (Look at the 60!! year old father)

Except for the untrimmed hair, tattoo's and ass showing, that could be me and I am 65 and have never used illegal steroids or drugs.

Seems we have only heard ONE side of the story so far.

Just how much was the bill they tried to walk out on ? Just how many drinks (and food and "songs") did they buy ? Were they like a lot of other 2 week millionaires that like to ring the bell a lot to show how rich they are (then get surprised when they realize that ringing the bell means buying a round for everyone) ?

Of course no tourist would ever rack up a bill and then try to sneak out without paying for it. Uh uh - never happens ! Just like no tourist would ever make up a story and skip out on their hotel bills either. (Just 2 weeks ago I saw a 2 guys try to sneak out of a beer bar without paying for the 2 beer they'd had (one each) ! The first guy got up and walked away, then his buddy stood up and "pretended" to get a phone call. Puts the phone to one ear and a finger in the other and starts heading for the street. One of the waitresses had been watching him (as had the owner and myself) and she intercepted him before he'd gotten 15' away. Of course he tried to make it look like he was just trying to hear whoever was supposedly talking to him (by walking out onto the busy street full of people).

Makes me wonder just how many times they try (and get away) with that ? Little wonder that in most places I've been in North America, you pay when you get your drinks and very few let anyone, especially complete strangers, run a tab.

Hmmmm, I wonder what would happen if I went into an Australian nightclub, spent the evening buying drinks (and "whatever") and then got all huffy when I saw the total and tried to leave without paying ? (One difference would most likely be that the media would maybe try to present both sides of the story).

Even if they tried to walk out on the bill they still don't deserve a beating like that. They should've restrained those 2 cheapskates until the cops arrived.

I saw these guys in Rajavej Hospital on Tuesday afternoon. The kid looked like the got pretty well beaten and had numerous bandages on his back and shoulder. The older fellow didn't look to much the worse for wear but they were haggling with the hospital over the bill and generally being uncooperative. The older guy had a Thai woman who knew them and was trying to act to cool things off but the guy kept bitching about the bill and the cost of the meds.

Don't know what happened at the karaoke club but speculation from others is probably correct. They started eating and drinking then got hammered with an outrageous bill and refused to pay. Like others have posted, this is not the first nor last time this kind of thing will happen. Karaoke bars and farangs don't mix well in CM and this is another example of why it is best to steer clear of them.

Kudos go to the hospital staff at Rajavej who were very sympathetic to their plight and tried to accommodate them despite their unpleasantness.

Bloody idiots!!

Except for the untrimmed hair, tattoo's and ass showing, that could be me and I am 65 and have never used illegal steroids or drugs.

He just does not know what he is talking about. Maybe projecting his own appearance onto others who knows. If this is the result of steroids i am sure they were fake cheesy.gif

I saw these guys in Rajavej Hospital on Tuesday afternoon. The kid looked like the got pretty well beaten and had numerous bandages on his back and shoulder. The older fellow didn't look to much the worse for wear but they were haggling with the hospital over the bill and generally being uncooperative. The older guy had a Thai woman who knew them and was trying to act to cool things off but the guy kept bitching about the bill and the cost of the meds.

Don't know what happened at the karaoke club but speculation from others is probably correct. They started eating and drinking then got hammered with an outrageous bill and refused to pay. Like others have posted, this is not the first nor last time this kind of thing will happen. Karaoke bars and farangs don't mix well in CM and this is another example of why it is best to steer clear of them.

Kudos go to the hospital staff at Rajavej who were very sympathetic to their plight and tried to accommodate them despite their unpleasantness.

Seems even Ozzies can be unpleasant, though the ones I met were always nice. Not like some other aggressive nationalities that use swearword or two in every sentence they utter.

Then again you got bad people everywhere Dutch included.

Why can't these people sing at home on their own karaoke machines?

*They are Tourist as mention and know nothing about the scam the chic are Friendly but the Price are hidden.

Exactly and herein lies the problem.If its you first trip to a CM karaoke bar how are you expected to know the potential dangers involved ?

The police know this had been going on for years and do nothing about it,maybe they have some financial interest in them being profitable. coffee1.gif

...maybe,just maybe you're right in your assumtion..steriods..BUT i can tell you this.i'm 57 and i look moore fit then that father of 60..with NO help of steroids..I manage true no alkhol drinking,no smoking..training since i was around 10 years old.Boxing,crosscountry skiing,running Trialthlon (once only to test myself)..Going to Sportcollege learning about nutrition..During 15 years of weighttraining i went from 77kg-->102 kg lean..so i know what can achive by knowledge..What do you know regarding training,not much is my guess..

Bloody idiots!!

Some people should stay home, they have no idea of how to act in countries with different cultures to their own + do little for own country's image.

Father can't even show dress sense when in a temple!!

Deport them, I say.....pair of jerks!!!

Some people should stay home, they have no idea of how to act in countries with different cultures to their own + do little for own country's image.

Father can't even show dress sense when in a temple!!

Deport them, I say.....pair of jerks!!!

He was running away from thugs, how can he abide to the dress code of a temple while running away? LOL

Archived