Australian father, son assaulted in Chiang Mai

Thaivisa News

Some people should stay home, they have no idea of how to act in countries with different cultures to their own + do little for own country's image.

Father can't even show dress sense when in a temple!!

Deport them, I say.....pair of jerks!!!

Huh??

You do realise theybwere the ones beaten and stabbed. There is nothing in the report to say they acted badly.

The father may know dress sense but he could be without shirt as it is being used to stop bleeding on his son, it could have been ripped off him in the melee.

But you just keep making things up to suit your agenda. You dont mention what shouod happen to the thugs or the bar for serving underage drinker.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people should stay home, they have no idea of how to act in countries with different cultures to their own + do little for own country's image.

He was running away from thugs, how can he abide to the dress code in the temple while running away? LOL

Well, he can pull his pants up to start with......might have even, outran thugs if hitched pants up!!

Why no shirt? who knows!!! Maybe he doesn't wear one, when going out!!

That's minor part of prob; the issue is, they asked for trouble when refused to pay bill .....& got it!!

Before coming to Thailand people should educate themselves. Better yet, maybe the airline could provide some basic information warning of the pitfalls and the dangers faced if one refuses to pay up no matter how right they may be.

Huh??

You do realise theybwere the ones beaten and stabbed. There is nothing in the report to say they acted badly.

The father may know dress sense but he could be without shirt as it is being used to stop bleeding on his son, it could have been ripped off him in the melee.

But you just keep making things up to suit your agenda. You dont mention what shouod happen to the thugs or the bar for serving underage drinker.

Huh????

Isn't refusing to pay a bill acting badly?

Before coming to Thailand people should educate themselves. Better yet, maybe the airline could provide some basic information warning of the pitfalls and the dangers faced if one refuses to pay up no matter how right they may be.

Would you pay if your bill was inflated by 400-500%?

For those who have decided that the 60yo is pumped up with steroids and showing his bum should tack another look at the picture and take another guess which one is the father.

Going to a dodgy area in a strange country to drink until 0600 is always going to be fraught with danger and I'm not making excuses for the duo's idiot behaviour, but most aware people here know of this type of massive overcharging scam that happens all too often in this country.

Blame the crooks who present the massive bill at the end of the session and then try to extract it with knives and lumps of wood, not the foolish victims.

You can take a look at the picture as many times as you like and guess as much as you like, but wont change the fact that it is the father standing up and the son is lying on the mat..wai.gif

I'll concede that one Eveready, looks like I got it wrong.rolleyes.gif

Did you have any comments on the main points of the incident?

Somehow i get the feeling the foreigners are not telling the complete story. Just another reason why i avoid Chiang Mai.

You would avoid CM because these guys are not telling the complete story?

a couple of things dont add up., how come he knew the temple, and the "crap" hospital. ? is he a resident ? if so he should have known better, and some of you on here, you don't know what the bill was so stop making assumptions. as posters have said on here, if he was a tourist he would not know any difference. oops this is thaivisa, i should have know better. oh, !! beware of the music bar, right hand side in soi cowboy,(opposite country road music bar) say no more just a heads up ok.pay as ya go ,

>>Weerayut said police found that the father and son drank and ate at the Kinnaree Karaoke shop on the Chang Klan Road Monday night but they refused to pay the bill, claiming the drinks and foods were too expensive.<<

Bloody idiots!!

Clearly steroids and alcohol don't go well together!! (Look at the 60!! year old father)

You are making a grossly inaccurate judgment from a photo you have misinterpreted.

Trying looking again. The father, who was hit in the head, is lying on the floor clutching his head.

The son, the one you have mistaken for the father and have defamed by claiming he is on steroids, merely looks a fit man. You have also claimed they are idiots after they have been taken advantage of and been beaten by thugs.

They do have pretty strict defamation laws in Thailand, you know and you can't hide behind your avatar if they hear of your slanderous attack and wish to take action.

An apology may limit the damages.

Drunken, disorderly and trying to negotiate paying a likely inflated bill in the wee hours is a recipe for trouble anywhere! If they refused to pay their bill at a karaoke lounge in Australia they'd be arrested and thrown in jail.

>>Weerayut said police found that the father and son drank and ate at the Kinnaree Karaoke shop on the Chang Klan Road Monday night but they refused to pay the bill, claiming the drinks and foods were too expensive.<<

Bloody idiots!!

Clearly steroids and alcohol don't go well together!! (Look at the 60!! year old father)

You are making a grossly inaccurate judgment from a photo you have misinterpreted.

Trying looking again. The father, who was hit in the head, is lying on the floor clutching his head.

Still wrong. The son is on the floor with the 'stab wound' in the left side of his chest which is quite clear. He is holding his arm up to his head as the nurse is attending to the wound.

Ridiculous, it is time for a full and proper investigation of these karaoke scams and the protection

they get from the police (alleged co-owners). Yes all Thai Visa readers know the game and avoid

these places but the rank and file tourists do not. It is fine to investigate food stalls that charge

35 baht instead of 30 but this and scams (jet-ski) like this is were the focus should be.

There should be CCTV coverage from the 7-11 so we will see what the investigation

uncovers. Charges or a cover-up. coffee1.gif

Charges or a cover-up??? You are an optimist for even suggesting a choice in the wild wild West (North West.) Mind you, they do have a new chief of police there, thanks to the General.

Bloody idiots!!

Not all men have to be fat f***s when they are 60. Besides... what makes you think he is on steroids?

Asheron, totally agree with you. Might I suggest that JOC is probably one of those who believe Whey Protein, Creatine and multivitamins are steroids

There's a few Chiang Mai karaoke shops that prey on tourists and are well known for their scams. Sit down for a couple hours and you get presented with a bill for 30 or 40,000 baht. Then they beat the crap out of you if you don't pay up. They've been doing this for a long time and have beaten up a lot of tourists with no repercussions.

Was going to post this too. That's likely what happened. Kudos to them not paying up, and fighting it out.

And before the same old tired debate starts these Karaoke shops rip off Thais and foreigners alike. I first head about it from a Thai friend. He and his all Thai group had some drinks there, were joined by ladies. When they left a few hours later they were presented with a 50,000 Baht bill along with some threats.Apparently the ladies had ordered on the order of 100 cocktails, or at least that's how the scam goes. They paid up.

Edit: Almost forgot, another story I heard is from two Bangkok expats who similarly were getting ripped off in Chiang Mai. However, these expats happened to have friends in high places, and got their money back the next day. Thailand...

For those who have decided that the 60yo is pumped up with steroids and showing his bum should tack another look at the picture and take another guess which one is the father.

Going to a dodgy area in a strange country to drink until 0600 is always going to be fraught with danger and I'm not making excuses for the duo's idiot behaviour, but most aware people here know of this type of massive overcharging scam that happens all too often in this country.

Blame the crooks who present the massive bill at the end of the session and then try to extract it with knives and lumps of wood, not the foolish victims.

You can take a look at the picture as many times as you like and guess as much as you like, but wont change the fact that it is the father standing up and the son is lying on the mat..wai.gif

,Sorry, flatbat, but i just pointed out something that was very evident

The rest is of the report is very unclear so ,no , no solid evidence at all of who did what, and why...hence, no comment on it..coffee1.gif

Haha another Aussie quality tourist on these shores. Drinking all nite not paying bill so obviously gonna have touble with the locals, even if they are scamming them.

Then runs into the temple half naked with his butt showing. Nice.

I think they should come Pattaya and join up with con man Sharky the NZ guy who walks along beach rd 24hrs a day in just his shorts & handbag.

Never a dull moment in the LOS.

Drunken, disorderly and trying to negotiate paying a likely inflated bill in the wee hours is a recipe for trouble anywhere! If they refused to pay their bill at a karaoke lounge in Australia they'd be arrested and thrown in jail.

So you know they were drunken and disorderly. You mind reader you.

If they did the same in Australia the police would have been called and the thugs put in jail. The bar would also be fined quite a lot for serving alcohol to an underage (18 is underage in Thailand). The bar would also be fined for false and misleading advertising in their pricing.

If the police were minded to arrest them for not paying the matter would never get to court.

from 6 when a 119 report police referenced the 7 11 of a assult it took police 45 min. to locate a reportee a assultede person or any witnesses who could give a clue as to happening,

sirens flashing lights are used to curtail viol;ence whe iit is about or is happening a throuhj search was not made, should be scads of monk out and abot

to allow the claptrap bars/karake to operate without oversized posted prices, rules etc of the game/scam is nothing but police/official participation.

,Sorry, flatbat, but i just pointed out something that was very evident

The rest is of the report is very unclear so ,no , no solid evidence at all of who did what, and why...hence, no comment on it..coffee1.gif

After more than 10 years on the forum a nik name I hadn't previously been called! I had to look it up for a meaning. Thankyou.wai.gif

If you only post on these threads to criticize other poster's grammatical and small factual errors you might end up being confused with that Swiss Cheese character

Haha another Aussie quality tourist on these shores. Drinking all nite not paying bill so obviously gonna have touble with the locals, even if they are scamming them.

Then runs into the temple half naked with his butt showing. Nice.

I think they should come Pattaya and join up with con man Sharky the NZ guy who walks along beach rd 24hrs a day in just his shorts & handbag.

Never a dull moment in the LOS.

Shorts and a handbag. ... ??? Is that not Dick Emery ??? ...Ooh you are awful, but I Like You....

I think both sides are guilty of breaking the law, the 'customers' for not paying the bill and the establishment for taking the law into their own hands. At least, that would be the way I would read it.

Ulic made a good point earlier in the thread that everyone on TV (regular viewers anyway) are aware of these karaoke bar scams, however your average tourist generally goes out to enjoy themselves with eyes full shut. Trouble usually kicks off when the the over-inflated bill arrives on the table.

Easy in hindsight to say that prices should be checked before ordering....................wink.png

Did you looked at a glasbowl? How you now they break the law because they not want to pay? Maybe they want that someone call the police but the barcrew refused and beat them up?

If you get a bill and think it's not right do you pay it? Who is stupid like this?

Did this Karaoke Bar Bastards have the right to try to kill someone because him refused to pay the bill? They have to call the police and not stab People with a knife and beat them up. In almost every EU country the police close the bar and handcuff the staff. They break clear the law!!!

I met these two on the weekend. The father is a real lad, cheeky and outgoing, he is not very tall, the son just turned 18, skinny and quiet

and he already had a black eye.

Dad was showing him the adult world for his birthday present. Dad was really eager for the boy to do it all.

Dad would have spoiled the boy in the Karaoke for a few hours, expecting a bill for under 5KB. From the many guys I know that have been

stung at these Karaokes I expect the bill would have been a shocking 70 thousand give or take 20K.

Dad would have left the Karaoke with the son and bouncers to withdraw at the 7/11 ATM then possibly had no money available or decided to front the gangsters.

they were being beaten up but luckily got away before they were pulp. I'll bet when the ambulance took them 200m to the hospital they thought the

mob would find them there and finish the job. Dad did the smart thing and fled to another hospital in a tuk tuk.

The no shirt in a temple, hey, they were in a fight, shirts get ripped. maybe he did use it to stop the bleeding.

Yes, a pair of Aussie yobs they were but Chiang Mai shouldn't be damaging its reputation allowing these Karaokes to continue.

There's a few Chiang Mai karaoke shops that prey on tourists and are well known for their scams. Sit down for a couple hours and you get presented with a bill for 30 or 40,000 baht. Then they beat the crap out of you if you don't pay up. They've been doing this for a long time and have beaten up a lot of tourists with no repercussions.

Very true indeed. A few friends doing a Thailand tour a few years back encountered the same people. Luckily their bill wasn't that steep, only 8k and they paid up.

How on earth can scams like this go on for years and years? They must have the law on their side. Thailand obviously is in need of their own A-Team. Any volunteers?

Very lucky, they could have very easily become another more serious statistic. They must not have been too seriously injured if they wanted to be driven to another (cheaper ?) hospital.

Am I wrong to say "they may not be the quality tourists that Thailand wants to attract". bah.gif And in saying this I am certainly not condoning the actions of the Thais.

Foreign 'tough' guys who know everything about intimidation, but know nothing about violence.

What BS. So you're saying that gangsters from any country outside Thailand don't actually use extreme forms of violence. Their victims are probably in the millions by now, do you want me to draw you a picture?

Archived