Australian father, son assaulted in Chiang Mai

Thaivisa News

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people on this forum are just unreal. It's pretty obvious these Aussie guys were being ripped off by a bunch of thugs but still you apologists turn it around and criticize the dad for not wearing a t-shirt, for being on steroids, not paying his heavily inflated bill, his bum hanging out, etc, etc. I pity the bunch of you because somewhere along the line you lost your testicles and became cowards or perhaps you wanted to blend in so much that you lost your own identity and in the worst case scenario you were a lowlife before you came to these shores.

Perhaps this guy and his son were wrong and got carried away during an all nighter but they are tourists! That's all that matters. Because of these tourists this country survives another day. How on earth do they get away so long with biting the hand that feeds them? It boggles my mind. At some point the world is going to wake up and realize that TH is no better than Cambodia or Myanmar and they will stop coming. Oh yeah, they already have the Chinese to take their place. Let's see how many Chinese will be scammed or take a beating. They will think twice if not three times

Drunken, disorderly and trying to negotiate paying a likely inflated bill in the wee hours is a recipe for trouble anywhere! If they refused to pay their bill at a karaoke lounge in Australia they'd be arrested and thrown in jail.

Not if the owners tried to rip them off for a $1000 or so. There are laws against that sought of thing that are policed in Australia..

Seems we have only heard ONE side of the story so far.

Just how much was the bill they tried to walk out on ? Just how many drinks (and food and "songs") did they buy ? Were they like a lot of other 2 week millionaires that like to ring the bell a lot to show how rich they are (then get surprised when they realize that ringing the bell means buying a round for everyone) ?

Of course no tourist would ever rack up a bill and then try to sneak out without paying for it. Uh uh - never happens ! Just like no tourist would ever make up a story and skip out on their hotel bills either. (Just 2 weeks ago I saw a 2 guys try to sneak out of a beer bar without paying for the 2 beer they'd had (one each) ! The first guy got up and walked away, then his buddy stood up and "pretended" to get a phone call. Puts the phone to one ear and a finger in the other and starts heading for the street. One of the waitresses had been watching him (as had the owner and myself) and she intercepted him before he'd gotten 15' away. Of course he tried to make it look like he was just trying to hear whoever was supposedly talking to him (by walking out onto the busy street full of people).

Makes me wonder just how many times they try (and get away) with that ? Little wonder that in most places I've been in North America, you pay when you get your drinks and very few let anyone, especially complete strangers, run a tab.

Hmmmm, I wonder what would happen if I went into an Australian nightclub, spent the evening buying drinks (and "whatever") and then got all huffy when I saw the total and tried to leave without paying ? (One difference would most likely be that the media would maybe try to present both sides of the story).

Fascinating story ...

Its well known that RTP own a big share of these criminal wormholes called Karaoke Bars so the extortion of tourists will just go on and on and on .... BiB in TiT ...sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

Am I wrong to say "they may not be the quality tourists that Thailand wants to attract". bah.gif And in saying this I am certainly not condoning the actions of the Thais.

Not easy to answer because it's important "WHO YOU ASK!!!"

For some politicans the are maybe not the Quality tourists.

For the Nightlife Entertainments and hospitals they are the HOTSHOT!!! biggrin.png

Tourists beaten and stabbed, but police feel the need to have a chat with the Karaoke bar before taking any action, as opposed to making arrests and then conducting interviews....... A stark reminder that we're in a third world country hiding behind a facade of shopping malls.

biggrin.png

In the 1st world you would get your head blown off!

Any story of refusing to pay in a club or karaoke in paradise?

What do bouncers do? Bounce rubber balls right through out the night?

tongue.png

Yes but they were in CM not Australia and police don't tend to help in these situations in Thailand. Again, you ask for trouble and you quickly get it! An unfortunate lesson for them.

You are so right - its better for the tourists to stay far away from Land of Scams - go to Vietnam, much better people and way cheaper ... thumbsup.gif Dont thai me, please

I saw these guys in Rajavej Hospital on Tuesday afternoon. The kid looked like the got pretty well beaten and had numerous bandages on his back and shoulder. The older fellow didn't look to much the worse for wear-----movsrus,

Seems the father can run a lot faster than his son then------ maybe the "Steroids" turn you into a 100 meter sprinter as well....I'll ask JOC about it......coffee1.gif

The guy must be living in Chiang Mai because he refused Chiang Ma Memorial hospital which in my opinion is the most dirty hospital of Chiang Mai.

Did not know there is a temple close to CM land also , must be new or the name of the karaoke place is not correct.

I think it's Wat Pa Phrao Nok / Wat Khum Kham, and not new, and it indeed is just around the corner (couple blocks away) from closest of them scamming karaoke places.

Yes but they were in CM not Australia and police don't tend to help in these situations in Thailand. Again, you ask for trouble and you quickly get it! An unfortunate lesson for them.

You were the one that mentioned Australia.

Dont know how they asked for trouble. It is the bar asking for trouble inflating bills.

Dont know how they asked for trouble. It is the bar asking for trouble inflating bills.

Going to a karaoke lounge in Thailand - which are profitable businesses because they are scams - is asking for trouble!! Tell me one that charges following the "menu". Add to that being drunk and perhaps not fluent with Thai language and these guys were the perfect prey.

The guy must be living in Chiang Mai because he refused Chiang Ma Memorial hospital which in my opinion is the most dirty hospital of Chiang Mai.

Did not know there is a temple close to CM land also , must be new or the name of the karaoke place is not correct.

I think it's Wat Pa Phrao Nok / Wat Khum Kham, and not new, and it indeed is just around the corner (couple blocks away) from closest of them scamming karaoke places.

That would still be a 20 minute walk or a 12 minute run.

Haha another Aussie quality tourist on these shores. Drinking all nite not paying bill so obviously gonna have touble with the locals, even if they are scamming them.

Then runs into the temple half naked with his butt showing. Nice.

I think they should come Pattaya and join up with con man Sharky the NZ guy who walks along beach rd 24hrs a day in just his shorts & handbag.

Never a dull moment in the LOS.

Shorts and a handbag. ... ??? Is that not Dick Emery ??? ...Ooh you are awful, but I Like You....

Actually come to think of it, he does look a bit like him, without all the I'm a wannabe hard man tattoos over his face an body.

Well, 6am looks like partied all night till early morning, forgot the amount they drank and ate, and like a lot of cocky Aussies, and I know quite a few, bloo their mouth off and paid the price, look how they are dressed, asking for it in every way.

Serv them right. The old saying. "Put your brain into opperation before you open your mouth"

Well, 6am looks like partied all night till early morning, forgot the amount they drank and ate, and like a lot of cocky Aussies, and I know quite a few, bloo their mouth off and paid the price, look how they are dressed, asking for it in every way.

Serv them right. The old saying. "Put your brain into opperation before you open your mouth"

Yes I knew a few cocky Aussies who used to hang out in the bars in Earls Court Rd west London.

All think they are Jack the almighty lads.

No mention about inflated bills, it is obviouse they partied all night till the morning could not remember all they drank and ate, they refused to pay because the bill was high. They were pissed no active brain, look at the way they are dressed. No respect at all.

There's a few Chiang Mai karaoke shops that prey on tourists and are well known for their scams. Sit down for a couple hours and you get presented with a bill for 30 or 40,000 baht. Then they beat the crap out of you if you don't pay up. They've been doing this for a long time and have beaten up a lot of tourists with no repercussions.

Looking at dad's physique I imagine he gave a good account of himself till the long knives came out. Sit down for a couple hours and you get presented with a bill for 30 or 40,000 baht. Then they beat the crap out of you if you don't pay up. They've been doing this for a long time and have beaten up a lot of tourists with no repercussions. If this has been happening a long time somebody is getting paid to look the other way.

No mention about inflated bills, it is obviouse they partied all night till the morning could not remember all they drank and ate, they refused to pay because the bill was high. They were pissed no active brain, look at the way they are dressed. No respect at all.

There is also no mention of them partying all night and drinking but that hasnt stopped you.

Would like to see how you are dressed after a beating and stabbing.

That would still be a 20 minute walk or a 12 minute run.

555 you must walk & run really slow - as I walk from my moobaan (Wang Tan Villa) to Thanon Sridonchai in more or less 30 minutes - just clocked 45minutes to the moat yesterday x)

Tourists beaten and stabbed, but police feel the need to have a chat with the Karaoke bar before taking any action, as opposed to making arrests and then conducting interviews....... A stark reminder that we're in a third world country hiding behind a facade of shopping malls.

The law does not work that way, even in the western world. Allegations have been made, the matter has to be investigated. Firstly, statements need to be obtained from the alleged victims, then anyone who medically treats them, as well as those who saw or were involved in the aftermath, then obtain video footage from the 7/11 shop, if available, speak to and obtain statements from any witnesses, then, and only then, when there is sufficient evidence against the alleged offenders to warrant an arrest, should they be arrested.

The alleged offenders should then be interviewed separately, and if the evidence is convincing enough to satisfy the investigating officer that an offence has occurred, then charge them and put them before the courts. If an officer has not witnessed the incident then what I have outlined is the required practise, world wide, so as to prevent officers being sued for false arrest and/or false imprisonment.

So why are you telling us that this is a stark reminder that we're in a 3rd world country, etc., etc., as your statement clearly indicates you have no knowledge of law enforcement, either here or anywhere else. It is also clear that you have no knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the incident, yet you want the alleged offenders arrested, then I/V'd.

We all know of certain problems arising from these so called Karaoke bars and it appears that a number of persons may have attacked two others, with one being stabbed, however, until all the facts, if ever, become known, them stop assuming that what has been reported is factual. We already have reports that these to persons ate and drank at the bar and then elected not to pay because they thought it was too expensive.

If you accept the story, then one law broken by the alleged victims. You must also be 20 to consume alcohol in Thailand, so if the son did, a second law broken. So one can readily ask, what else have these pair been up to? Maybe, and I am only saying maybe, these pair through their stupidity, have contributed significantly to the fracas that has apparently occurred the following morning and brought them retribution. And no I do not condone the alleged violence perpetrated on these two fools.

So all you farang apologists don't think people get beat up for not paying their tab in US/UK/Australia? Stuff like this happens all the time there and often it goes unnoticed, and in worse case scenarios, victims are never heard from again.

Yes, Thais can be guilty of over charging but if you stay in a bar and drink until 6am, expect to be taken advantage of anywhere in the world. Sadly many farang bring misfortune upon themselves with loudmouth, belligerent behavior while treating Thais like dirt.

Archived