New driver license is valid in ASEAN member countries

webfact

I think this post refers to a Thai Drivers License, good to drive a car in these countries.

The issuance of a ASIAN license was a post a while back on Thaivisa.

I believe you have to request it.

Yes I think you're right, hence my post that suggested the translation about this licence allowing you to take your car across to these countries was wrong (which is and has always been a customs issue and has absolutely nothing to do with your drivers licence). In fact, some border crossings still suggest both Thais and foreigners present an international driver's permit to be permitted to drive in Laos, Malaysia and Singapore although in practice these are not requested.

The LTD has been telling us ever since the new credit card shaped Thai driver's licence was issued in 2007 or 2008? that they are good to be used for driving in other ASEAN countries. Then they turn around to tell us only Laos, Malaysia and Singapore accept them. Then another new article suggests with the next new Thai driver's licence, universal acceptance in all member states will be allowed. Someone has to finally make up their mind. But I highly doubt that this latest driver's licence will be either any more or any less acceptable in ASEAN countries than the current one is.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is best if you have an international licence. I have one and it is good in any country.

again, no such thing as an international license its an international permit and ONLY valid with a legal license

Try an rent a car with that permit rather than a country drivers license.

I did when I first moved here and replaced my IDP with a 1 year Thai license just before it expired. Also used it without any problem a couple of times at police checkpoints.

• 1 year later...

I think this post refers to a Thai Drivers License, good to drive a car in these countries.

But does Thailand accept the other Asean countries driving license or is an international permit still required?

But does Thailand accept the other Asean countries driving license or is an international permit still required?

I was just stopped (again) yesterday and showed them my IDP, which is just a permit based on my US license, which they did NOT accept, yet they did in the past.

He didn't even look at the IDP. Once I pulled it out after he wouldn't accept my US license, he then moved on looked to see if my bike was up to date. Then he gave my bike a good look over and told me to have a nice day. Meanwhile, at least 4 or 5 work trucks flew by with no less than 20 migrant workers standing up in the back and sitting on top of the cab. lol No idea how THAT is ok.

Edited for clarification: They accepted my IDP and not the US license. In the past they have always accepted the US license. IDP for the win!

• 2 months later...
On 29/07/2016 at 8:58 PM, Dixie Normus said:

Yes they do, almost all malaysians and singaporeans that come to thailand to rent and drive cars don't have an international drivers permit.

• 6 months later...

Archived