First MERS case confirmed in Thailand: public health minister

webfact

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not Thai bashing I was questioning why react in such a way to move from one hospital to another when on the face of it a private hospital costs more than a Government hospital. Thank you for the comments.

I was not suggesting you wholly were but the usual reactionary tide had already swept through the thread . LCD.

I will say on the topic of hospitals it is a double edged sword. Hospitals are the hot bed of disease and by far the greatest source of viral and bacterial transmission.

Whilst the Korean case did offer the Koreans a chance to catch that MERS bug, if you read the New York Times article i posted above it articulates well the cultural impossibilities of the logistics of nailing that first episode, let alone the medical issues identifying the first incidence in a new theatre.

Didn't Prayut say there is no MERs in Thailand yesterday? That man is so sure of himself.

You could also say there are some downsides to having such a good tourism industry? Mers and other diseases from abroad, Chinese and Russian tourists, east European ATM scamming gangs, Nigerian love scammers, African drug dealers, Japanese child farming, Korean online gambling gangs, etc. The list is endless of foreign undesirables setting up shop in Thailand! Oops, I mean tourism.

Yes he did. So what? Yesterday, at the time of his comment, the were no confirmed cases or even suspicions of any. That changed after his statement.

No different from saying I'm fine and a few hours later developing symptoms of any sickness.

Before you start trying to turn it into an Anti-Prayut thread, maybe engage in some thought?

I hoped MERS kills many <deleted> farangs, I swa today on TV,

But sure a moderator will deleted silence this message as before, because TV is about posts and viewers = MONEY, YES MONEY

OK I will have to screen grab this before a mod deletes, I will do now to have proof

and I am <deleted> drunk, because because a Thai guy shot my 14s friend.

OK my friend is/was 67, but my friend for 14 years.

He was MR. GOOD, never drink or smoke

<deleted> Thailand and <deleted> me

WHAT every month 5-10-20 farangs get killed, business as usual.

NO MORE ....

IN HONOR of my friend I will OPEN a website, 100% for farangs die, scammed, ripped off or what ever.

I am 100% sure within 2-10 weeks you will need a VPN to access it, because TH will block it.

IF the new BOSS GENERAL whats to be good and understand Thailand, well HE got me now

I am drunk now, bit tomorrow I order WWW.<deleted>-THAILAND.com

Goodnight for now.

Lord have mercy!!burp.gifburp.gif

What on earth is this rant all about?

I have to wonder what Foreign country did this Arab man come from?

South Korea perhaps! I sure hope there are no other people who become sick

with this Mers in Thailand! South Korea having it is scary enough!

SARS was also scary and it did kill enough people before it got contained.

Trust some rich man from somewhere to bring a frightening disease

to Thailand! To bad he didn't go visit some ISIL commander first,

then leave the area and leave the Mers amidst them fine folk.

One reason that the MERS disease spread so much in South Korea is that the

hospitals operate a lot like Thailand, in where a family member can stay with the patient

then come and go as they please, spreading what ever they have contracted from their sick relative in the

hospital. Once this practice was stopped, the spread of MERS slowed down.

I hope in Thailand the hospitals will immediately stop this practice where this MERS case is at

and if it does spread, then isolate that hospital as well.

MERS, SARS, and Ebola are all very scary diseases , since they have no cure!

The man was taken first taken to a private hospital then transferred to a Government hospital- for God's name why? The outbreak in South Korea has been confined to a hospital so to transfer him to a hospital with less resources due to financial constraints and less quality management ????

They were probably worried about the bill not getting paid if the patient died ?

Dear Thai Visa Chicken Little Department,

it always amazes me how people can sit in front of a computer....literally inches away from Google search, and not expend on molecule of energy educating themselves.

I really do not believe any of you think there is personal danger, or you would do some research:

So here ... god forbid you put down that beer and did some work.

What is Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS)?

Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) is a viral respiratory disease caused by a coronavirus (MERS‐CoV) that was first identified in Saudi Arabia in 2012. Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that can cause diseases ranging from the common cold to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

Where is MERS occurring?

The following 25 countries have reported cases of MERS: Iran, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen (Middle East); Austria, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Turkey, and the United Kingdom (UK) (Europe); Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt (Africa); China, Malaysia, Republic of Korea and the Philippines (Asia); and the United States of America (Americas).

The vast majority of these cases have so far occurred in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

(Guess they need to add Thailand now)

What are the symptoms of MERS? How severe is the syndrome?

A typical case of MERS includes of fever, cough, and/or shortness of breath. Pneumonia is a common finding on examination. Gastrointestinal symptoms, including diarrhoea, have also been reported. Severe illness can cause respiratory failure that requires mechanical ventilation and support in an intensive‐care unit. Some patients have had organ failure, especially of the kidneys, or septic shock. The virus appears to cause more severe disease in people with weakened immune systems, older people, and those with such chronic diseases as diabetes, cancer and chronic lung disease.

Can a person be infected with the MERS virus and not be ill?

Yes. Infected persons with no symptoms have been found because they were tested for MERS‐CoV during follow‐up studies of contacts of people with MERS infection. It is not always possible to identify patients with MERS-CoV early because the early symptoms are non-specific. For this reason, all health care facilities should have standard infection prevention and control practices in place for infectious diseases.

How do people get MERS-CoV? Transmission from animals to humans

It is not yet fully understood how people become infected with MERS‐CoV, which is a zoonotic virus. It is believed that humans can be infected through direct or indirect contact with infected dromedary camels in the Middle East. Strains of MERS-CoV have been identified in camels in several countries, including Egypt, Oman, Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

Transmission from humans to humans

The virus does not appear to pass easily from person to person unless there is close contact such as providing clinical care to an infected patient while not applying strict hygiene measures. This has been seen among family members, patients, and health‐care workers. The majority of cases have resulted from human-to-human transmission in health care settings.

Is MERS-CoV contagious?

Yes, but apparently only to a limited extent. The virus does not seem to pass easily from person to person unless there is close contact, such as occurs when providing unprotected care to a patient. There have been clusters of cases in health‐care facilities, where human‐to‐human transmission appears to be more efficient, especially when infection prevention and control practices are inadequate. Thus far, no sustained human-to-human transmission has been documented.

What is the source of the MERS virus—bats, camels, domestic animals?

The source of the MERS-CoV is not yet fully clear. A coronavirus very similar to the one found in humans has been isolated from camels in Egypt, Oman, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia. . It is possible that other reservoirs exist. However, other animals, including goats, cows, sheep, water buffalo, swine, and wild birds, have been tested for MERS‐CoV, but so far none have been found in these animals. These studies combined support the premise that dromedary camels are a likely source of infection in humans.

Should people avoid contact with camels or camel products? Is it safe to visit farms, markets, or camel fairs?

In countries in the Middle East affected by MERS-CoV, as a general precaution, anyone visiting farms, markets, barns, or other places where animals are present should practice general hygiene measures, including regular hand washing before and after touching animals, and avoid contact with sick animals.

The consumption of raw or undercooked animal products, including milk and meat, carries a high risk of infection from a variety of organisms that might cause disease in humans. Animal products processed appropriately through cooking or pasteurization are safe for consumption, but should also be handled with care to avoid cross‐contamination with uncooked foods. Camel meat and camel milk are nutritious products that can continue to be consumed after pasteurization, cooking, or other heat treatments.

Until more is understood about MERS, people with diabetes, renal failure, chronic lung disease, and immunocompromised persons are considered to be at high risk of severe disease from MERS‐CoV infection. Especially in the Middle East people should avoid contact with camels, consuming raw camel milk or camel urine, as well as eating meat that has not been properly cooked.

Camel farm and slaughterhouse workers in the affected areas should practice good personal hygiene, including frequent hand washing after touching animals, facial protection where feasible, and the wearing of protective clothing, which should be removed after work and washed daily. Workers should also avoid exposing family members to soiled work clothing, shoes, or other items that may have come into contact with camels or camel excretions. Sick animals should never be slaughtered for consumption. People should avoid direct contact with any animal that has been confirmed positive for MERS‐CoV.

Is there a vaccine against MERS‐CoV? What is the treatment?

No vaccine or specific treatment is currently available. Treatment is supportive and based on the patient’s clinical condition.

Are health‐care workers at risk from MERS‐CoV?

Yes. Transmission of MERS-CoV has occurred in health‐care facilities in several countries, including from patients to health‐care providers. It is not always possible to identify patients with MERS‐CoV early or without testing because symptoms and other clinical features may be non‐specific.

For this reason, it is important that health‐care workers apply standard precautions consistently with all patients.

Droplet precautions should be added to standard precautions when providing care to all patients with symptoms of acute respiratory infection. Contact precautions and eye protection should be added when caring for suspected or confirmed cases of MERS‐CoV infection. Airborne precautions should be applied when performing aerosol‐generating procedures.

Does WHO recommend any travel or trade restrictions related to this new virus?

WHO does not recommend the application of any travel or trade restrictions at this point. Based on countries’ risk assessment, precautions aimed at raising awareness of MERS-CoV and its symptoms among travellers to and from affected areas, can be taken.

You are welcomed ...

Now, please ... as is the Thai Visa norm ... do not take time to read this thoroughly ... and continue your uninformed "Chicken Little" Thai bashing rants.

Wow, what a win/win, a combo-thread allowing the haters to spew their venom at both Thais and Arabs, all in one!!

Wouldn't it be nice if some posters did a little research, before hitting the keyboard to share their "wisdom"

The man here was from Oman, one of the countries air-striking ISIL..............

Wow, what a win/win, a combo-thread allowing the haters to spew their venom at both Thais and Arabs, all in one!!

Wouldn't it be nice if some posters did a little research, before hitting the keyboard to share their "wisdom"

The man here was from Oman, one of the countries air-striking ISIL..............

Actually, looks like a Hater's Hat Trick:

(1) Thailand

(2) Arabs

(3) Rich people

...And what the Thai health ministry will discover, it will hide and deny the best it can, also under pressure of TAT and other powers moved more by pride than common sense... TiT... (For sure under these circumstances, when it would spread, you'd by all means better be in South-Korea than in Thailand!)

"more by pride than common sense... TiT"

You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Speculative nonsense more than common sense ... This is Thai Visa. Gossipy old ladies spreading doom and gloom.

gossip-aug16.jpg

I am not Thai bashing I was questioning why react in such a way to move from one hospital to another when on the face of it a private hospital costs more than a Government hospital. Thank you for the comments.

Because this government hospital is a special hospital for infectious diseases.

But sure a moderator will deleted silence this message as before, because TV is about posts and viewers = MONEY, YES MONEY

OK I will have to screen grab this before a mod deletes, I will do now to have proof

NO MORE ....

IN HONOR of my friend I will OPEN a website, 100% for farangs die, scammed, ripped off or what ever.

I am 100% sure within 2-10 weeks you will need a VPN to access it, because TH will block it.

IF the new BOSS GENERAL whats to be good and understand Thailand, well HE got me now

Goodnight for now.

&lt;deleted&gt;! I hope you can apologise when your hangover has gone.

NO MORE ....

Goodnight for now.

<deleted>! I hope you can apologise when your hangover has gone.

W.T.F! Stupid Moderater!

NO MORE ....

Goodnight for now.

<deleted>! I hope you can apologise when your hangover has gone.

W.T.F! Stupid Moderater!

What the F*** is wrong with W.T.F? Surely you can only delete swear words and not 3 letters that dont even make a word. Someone is allowed to make racist remarks but you delete W. T . F? There! I managed to write it loads. Mug!

The man was taken first taken to a private hospital then transferred to a Government hospital- for God's name why? The outbreak in South Korea has been confined to a hospital so to transfer him to a hospital with less resources due to financial constraints and less quality management ????

The gentleman concerned was inbound for heart surgery.. so obviously the the hospital concerned makes most of it's money from over-charging tourists

not wishing to incur bad publicity or loss of revenue the "powers-to-be" have decided to move him out of that hospital purely on a financial basis and are withholding the hospitals name for the same reason.

Speaks volumes !!!!

Thailand (soon-to-be) hub of M.E.R.S.

MERS

Tourist first MERS case in Thailand

PUANGCHOMPOO PRASERT

THE NATION

30262659-03_big.jpg

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha called on the public to not panic but stay alert, adding the government is confident of its ability to contain the disease.

Wonder how many flights the plane was on before it was deloused....

Just when they said, South Korea was safe and no danger of spreading.

Like ebola

No problem, no problem.

It seems while they were rigorously checking everyone coming from S Korea they dropped the ball with those coming from the Middle East............................MERS Middle East Respiratory Syndrome blink.png

Controlling a disease like MERS ... Hell, they cant even control vendors renting out sunbeds at the beaches ... clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

You are a comic genius. OMG, that is SO funny!

Where do you come up with such original material?

No one could have ever seen a comment like "Controlling a disease like MERS ... Hell, they cant even control...........(fill in the blank)

You must be from that Frarag-a topia that -

(1) Has never had a MERS incident

(2) CURED it

(3) Created a vaccine for it.

(4) None of the above

You do know this is a global problem, without vaccine or cure? And you have to work pretty damn hard to get it? Of course not, what fun is Thai Bashing if you have knowdge and FACTS?

Next ..................

According to Reuters (UK) it took Thailand 4 days to diagnose this case of MERS.

Could it be because ----

(Source World Health Organization)

Can a person be infected with the MERS virus and not be ill?

Yes. Infected persons with no symptoms have been found because they were tested for MERS‐CoV during follow‐up studies of contacts of people with MERS infection. It is not always possible to identify patients with MERS-CoV early because the early symptoms are non-specific. For this reason, all health care facilities should have standard infection prevention and control practices in place for infectious diseases. "

And Thailand managed to avoid this longer than most?

Where is MERS occurring?

The following 25 countries have reported cases of MERS: Iran, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen (Middle East); Austria, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Turkey, and the United Kingdom (UK) (Europe); Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt (Africa); China, Malaysia, Republic of Korea and the Philippines (Asia); and the United States of America (Americas).

The vast majority of these cases have so far occurred in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

Google is your friend ... or NOT ...if being a Chicken Little Thai Basher is your hobby.

MERS

Tourist first MERS case in Thailand

PUANGCHOMPOO PRASERT

THE NATION

30262659-03_big.jpg

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha called on the public to not panic but stay alert, adding the government is confident of its ability to contain the disease.

Wonder how many flights the plane was on before it was deloused....

I wonder what your GPA was.

Archived