BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
vinniekintana

How many visa exemptions are we entitled anyway?

After the crackdown on in and out border runs over a year ago....how many can we do anyway?

One per year?.....

What's the latest?

You are not entitled to any !

In practice, providing an attempt is not made to secure back to back visa exempt entries, up to six entries may be made before Immigration questions why so many visa exempt entries are being sought..

• Like 1

There is no set nor official limit.

Over the past thirty years I've received dozens of 30-day visa exemptions .... many back to back ... and I have never been questioned about them, nor have I even been refused. However, I know that many others here on tv.com have had problems and been refused.

Over the past thirty years I've received dozens of 30-day visa exemptions .... many back to back ... and I have never been questioned about them, nor have I even been refused. However, I know that many others here on tv.com have had problems and been refused.

Most of the posters who've had problems are the ones who work in say oil and gas, who work for say 30-40 days at a time and then enter Thailand every other month for a whole month during their month off work. Thai immigration is now starting to view this as de-facto residence. On the other hand, a business traveller who comes to Thailand say 15 times a year without a visa BUT only spends 1-7 days here at a time, the former largely the result of not being able to connect on a flight the same day (for example, a Sydney, Australia resident wanting to connect to Kunming, China on a THAI Airways flight has no other choice but to stopover for a night because both Sydney flights arrive in Bangkok too late in the day to catch the single daily onward connection to Kunming, which leaves in the late morning) should have no problems whatsoever. Such travellers are also highly likely to have onward tickets purchased, whereas many oil and gas guys apparently arrive on one way tickets and most view the idea of travelling to Laos, Malaysia or Cambodia to obtain a Thai tourist visa a "terrible waste of time" as if it was so terrible to visit these beautiful and interesting countries every now and again just for 2-3 days instead of always coming only to the same old country [Thailand].

That is not true. The answer to the OP's question is unlimited.

If the person entering is a national from one of the countries allowed entry under the Tourist Visa Exempt Scheme they are entitled to unlimited entries.

As far as I recall there has never been a limit on entries. Back in 06/07 they started limiting the number of days that you could stay in the country to 90 within 6 months, but even then you could enter as often as you wanted within that limit. That was mainly to make life hard for the many illegal workers that did monthly border runs, and to increase visa revenue. That restriction is no longer enforced.

The 6 visa exempt entry flag that is currently being reported is random. They are not interviewing everyone.

As long as the person entering is not working or doing anything else illegal and meet the entry requirements they have the right to visa exempt entry, and don't have anything to worry about. That said immigration are in their right to stop and interview anyone, visa or not, about the purpose of their visit, and entering many times under the visa exempt scheme puts a target on your back. This is due to it's abuse by illegal workers and not because they want to stop genuine tourists entering without a visa.

It's better to get a visa whenever practical especially if the person wants to avoid unwanted scrutiny or inconvenience.

That is not true. The answer to the OP's question is unlimited.

If the person entering is a national from one of the countries allowed entry under the Tourist Visa Exempt Scheme they are entitled to unlimited entries.

As far as I recall there has never been a limit on entries. Back in 06/07 they started limiting the number of days that you could stay in the country to 90 within 6 months, but even then you could enter as often as you wanted within that limit. That was mainly to make life hard for the many illegal workers that did monthly border runs, and to increase visa revenue. That restriction is no longer enforced.

The 6 visa exempt entry flag that is currently being reported is random. They are not interviewing everyone.

As long as the person entering is not working or doing anything else illegal and meet the entry requirements they have the right to visa exempt entry, and don't have anything to worry about. That said immigration are in their right to stop and interview anyone, visa or not, about the purpose of their visit, and entering many times under the visa exempt scheme puts a target on your back. This is due to it's abuse by illegal workers and not because they want to stop genuine tourists entering without a visa.

It's better to get a visa whenever practical especially if the person wants to avoid unwanted scrutiny or inconvenience.

I have no interest in having an extended debate about this but even someone with a Visa has no "entitlement " of entry to Thailand or indeed the vast majority of countries. The final decision about whether entry will be permitted is made by the immigration officer at the border.

Refusal of entry can be made on a number of grounds but the most common would be an inability to display adequate finances.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Visa

Edited by nzexpat

Some squabbling posts have been removed. People should reply to the topic, not to the poster.

• Like 1

It is not random. It has been see that there is automatic flag that pops up from the database. Once there is that flag, it would be dereliction of duty for the office not to send for an interview.

Some threads

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/823678-questioned-by-immigration-at-the-airport-on-a-30-day-entry/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/809844-getting-problems-for-frequent-entries/

Most of the posters who've had problems are the ones who work in say oil and gas, who work for say 30-40 days at a time and then enter Thailand every other month for a whole month during their month off work. Thai immigration is now starting to view this as de-facto residence. On the other hand, a business traveller who comes to Thailand say 15 times a year without a visa BUT only spends 1-7 days here at a time, the former largely the result of not being able to connect on a flight the same day (for example, a Sydney, Australia resident wanting to connect to Kunming, China on a THAI Airways flight has no other choice but to stopover for a night because both Sydney flights arrive in Bangkok too late in the day to catch the single daily onward connection to Kunming, which leaves in the late morning) should have no problems whatsoever. Such travellers are also highly likely to have onward tickets purchased, whereas many oil and gas guys apparently arrive on one way tickets and most view the idea of travelling to Laos, Malaysia or Cambodia to obtain a Thai tourist visa a "terrible waste of time" as if it was so terrible to visit these beautiful and interesting countries every now and again just for 2-3 days instead of always coming only to the same old country [Thailand].

Most business travelers in the scenario you've laid out would spend the night in an airside hotel (or even just in the lounge) & so wouldn't even enter Thailand but, as been said already, if they were to enter for 6 or more times in "X" (as yet undefined) period of time, the computer system will pop up an alert & the immigration officer will have a more detailed look through their passport to decide if they need to question you further. Edited by JB300

It is not random. It has been see that there is automatic flag that pops up from the database. Once there is that flag, it would be dereliction of duty for the office not to send for an interview.

Let me rephrase. The 6 visa exempt entry flag that is currently being reported does not automatically result in an interview. We know this due to reports from TV members. Therefore, it would appear that the final decision to interview is made by the computer system (randomly or otherwise) or at the discretion of the IO.

You are speculating to the orders the IO's are under. Flag or not IO's can interview anyone at anytime so I'd speculate that the IO's have the final decision. I would also suggest that the duration of stay of previous stays is a deciding factor.

I have no interest in having an extended debate about this but even someone with a Visa has no "entitlement " of entry to Thailand or indeed the vast majority of countries. The final decision about whether entry will be permitted is made by the immigration officer at the border.

Refusal of entry can be made on a number of grounds but the most common would be an inability to display adequate finances.

The OP asked how many visa exempt entries are we entitled to. You answered none which is not true. There is no limit to the number of visa exempt entries and being a national from the countries in the scheme gives entitlement to visa exempt entry.

Of course having a visa or qualifying for visa exempt entry doesn't give the right to enter but that is beside the point and off topic.

• Like 1

The OP asked how many visa exempt entries are we entitled to. You answered none which is not true. There is no limit to the number of visa exempt entries and being a national from the countries in the scheme gives entitlement to visa exempt entry.

Of course having a visa or qualifying for visa exempt entry doesn't give the right to enter but that is beside the point and off topic.

Point to the word "NONE" in my post. coffee1.gif

Please stop attempting to score silly points ! bah.gif

Getting visa exempt entries is a privilege, Not everybody can get them. They have been tightened up on because people were abusing that privilege.

• Like 1

Let me rephrase. The 6 visa exempt entry flag that is currently being reported does not automatically result in an interview. We know this due to reports from TV members. Therefore, it would appear that the final decision to interview is made by the computer system (randomly or otherwise) or at the discretion of the IO.

Which reports? Show us a report that says "there was a flag on the screen but foreigner was NOT interviewed". Perhaps. there was NO flag and NO interview.

Which reports? Show us a report that says "there was a flag on the screen but foreigner was NOT interviewed". Perhaps. there was NO flag and NO interview.

At least one member posted (reported) that the immigration officer showed him the message (flag) that popped up on the screen regarding the six visa-exempt entries. Some other members posted (reported) that the immigration officers mentioned to them the needed to ask questions because they had six previous visa-exempt entries.

• Like 1