Hamburgers in Chiang Rai, where to go?

canuckamuck

Ok I have been in the Rai for about 4 years, but I live pretty far out of town and when I come in we got lots to do. So I haven't really learned much about what's available. So I would like a few tips on where to get a good reasonably priced burger.

Any favorites?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, in Chiangrai 4 years, and still haven't found a burger joint. I mean c'mon this is embarrassing, surely. From yr previous posts u live up by the border, right? Ask locally, plenty farang buddies up there.

Ok, that's a start, but I don't know where or who Don is. Do you mean Don Battles from this Forum?

And Hungry Wolf's, where is that?

And yes you can call me a troll if you like, I am just trolling for a burger so I don't see any harm.

I live an hour and a half from town and most of it is windy switchbacks, so I don't get to town more than once a week, and when I do I got stuff to do.

I haven't had the pleasure of wandering about and trying this shop or that. But I am really bored with eating at Central or Big C.

No foreigners living in my neighborhood, so you are mistaken. But if there were, would that disqualify me from asking people from the city where's a good place to eat. It seems they would know better.

Ok, that's a start, but I don't know where or who Don is. Do you mean Don Battles from this Forum?

And Hungry Wolf's, where is that?

And yes you can call me a troll if you like, I am just trolling for a burger so I don't see any harm.

I live an hour and a half from town and most of it is windy switchbacks, so I don't get to town more than once a week, and when I do I got stuff to do.

I haven't had the pleasure of wandering about and trying this shop or that. But I am really bored with eating at Central or Big C.

No foreigners living in my neighborhood, so you are mistaken. But if there were, would that disqualify me from asking people from the city where's a good place to eat. It seems they would know better.

Hungry wolf is near the wang come hotel and edison department store in downtown CR...

Not sure if don's is open anymore but he will likely post on here.

other burger place that some like is barry's on the golf course near the old airport.

i rarely eat burgers but am sure others on here might have some more recommendations for you....good luck

Hungry Wolf is on the corner of Thai Viwat Alley and Phaholyothin Road.

We went a couple of days ago. Our first time. We didn't try the hamburgers. But, I saw a customer get one. It looked good and he seemed to enjoy it. It's on my list for next time. smile.png

Good lluck finding a burger that meets your specs in Chiang Rai. Since I closed Don't Cafe I have given up eating outside except for Thai food.

The other big problem for making at home is to find decent ground beef that is not filled with gristle. A solution for this is buy the top round in bulk at Makro and grind at home. You many need to add a little ground pork in order to get the fat content up to 30-40%.

Best of luck and please let us know if you find the right one.

Try SanFran - they're just off to one side of Wangcome, just round the corner from Hungry Wolf's. There's a little courtyard with an orange VW camper van, and some seating in front of it. I was REALLY pleasantly surprised by their burgers.

I am glad that you mentioned Sizzler. I had forgotten about them. They do in fact make an excellent burger. A bit expensive but with imported ground beef.

A couple of weeks ago I was in Chiang Mai. There is a new burger place on Moom Mueang Road near then end. It is almost next door to Maddog Restaurant which is also near the end of the road. This place is amazing and has about 25 different burgers, ribs salads and a few other things. I can't remember the name. It is very beautiful and simple inside. The service is good and the food was good.

I have not had a burger at Sizlers but have a couple of times had a beef pattie made of shredded beef with roast potatoe and salad bar and find it an excellent meal. They seem to have it in two sizes. The smaller one for lunch is more than adequate. Australian beef.

Barry's restaurant has been shut for months. Hungry wolf's as recommended by others I find good. Plus they have Belgian beer on tap and some Oregon micro brews in bottle.

The C Word has sliders that are decent. I have yet to try the VW van place but am intrigued to do so.

Thanks for tips so far, looks like quite a few nods for Hungry Wolf. I will go there first

Donald, I am not to worried about meeting my specs. I've been in Thailand 12 years so my standards are very low.

If your standards are that low, then any Brit-inspired eatery with so-called burgers made from unidentifiable meat and meal should suffice.

Find the local Burger King. The new Burger X-T is Australian Angus beef with cheese and bacon and the best I have in Thailand in ages. Not cheap at 238 baht just for the burger or 280 or so for the set. Damned fine eating. i had one today.

The SanFran placed mentioned is in a lot outside yes?

Had a wonderful burger there a few weeks ago, but not sure if they are still there.

I had one horrible service experience at Hungry Wolf, but their food is pretty good.

Wow, I am guessing that Belgium beer on tap must be really expensive no?

What is the name of the place near Doi Chang?

Find the local Burger King. The new Burger X-T is Australian Angus beef with cheese and bacon and the best I have in Thailand in ages. Not cheap at 238 baht just for the burger or 280 or so for the set. Damned fine eating. i had one today.

The local Burger King for Chiang Rai is 200 kms away in Chiang Mai.

Good lluck finding a burger that meets your specs in Chiang Rai. Since I closed Don't Cafe I have given up eating outside except for Thai food.

The other big problem for making at home is to find decent ground beef that is not filled with gristle. A solution for this is buy the top round in bulk at Makro and grind at home. You many need to add a little ground pork in order to get the fat content up to 30-40%.

Best of luck and please let us know if you find the right one.

You are definitely right about making your own at home. I do and have ever since I came to Thailand. Was sick and tired of trying to find someone who knew what they were doing. I buy quality beef and pork mince from Makro, it costs a little more but is so worthwhile. I also buy hamburger buns, with sesame seeds from the same outlet, then toast and butter them.

Cook my onions, add shredded lettuce, beetroot, if it's to you liking and if you want the works, just add bacon, egg and sliced pineapple. You then top it off with either BBQ or tomato sauce. . With the buns, I buy four packs at a time and freeze them. Thaw them in the microwave for 30 seconds on high. God, just made my self hungry, I have two for tea. Try it and enjoy, you will not go and buy another

I would try Don's place, he has been here 40 plus years, I guess he knows about burgers.

Should I squawk Troll at this post, it seems to be the fashion these days.

He's not a troll, but anyone who calls Chiang Rai 'the Rai' needs drawing and quartering, immediately. Along with the little snots who call Malibu 'the Bu'...

No hamburger for you!

Archived