Hamburgers in Chiang Rai, where to go?

canuckamuck

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there good quality minced hamburger meat in Makro?

Their meat section always smells bad to me, so I have never really looked.

And is it definitely cheaper than say a place like Tops, or Big C?

It's in the frozen section and imported from Oz, I find it to be quite good in taste and texture but not being a butcher, I would not know how goog it really is but I'm still alive.

Ahh, beef in the frozen section of Makro! That I will be willing to try.

Any idea of how the prices relate to Tops?

I think Tops beef is quite fine, and I don't have the background to point out "small points" as to what is best.

Have no idea of the price in the store you refer to, we do not have one here on Loei but the beef, (frozen) last time I bought it was around B400 a kilo. It is expensive but worth it. Equates at around A$16.00, which is about $7.00 more than in OZ. Give it ago, I think you will enjoy it, not to fatty and a great taste.

We had considerable discussion on local buns and rolls in the past.

I personally like the white ones available in the two supermarkets and the bakery at Central but my personal favorite for a home made hamburger is the flat wholemeal baguette from the deli behind Aye's restaurant.

In fact they are ideal for anything you like in a sandwich including the bacon he cures there himself.

We had considerable discussion on local buns and rolls in the past.

I personally like the white ones available in the two supermarkets and the bakery at Central but my personal favorite for a home made hamburger is the flat wholemeal baguette from the deli behind Aye's restaurant.

In fact they are ideal for anything you like in a sandwich including the bacon he cures there himself.

I'm envious, can't get any really decent rolls here in Loei, have to settle for those baked at Macro, they're white bread with sesame seeded tops, toast ok but nothing like the baguette you've described. But that's what happens when there are not a lot of farangs living here. If anyone can help, can you provide a name and directions to a decent bakery in Udon Thani. I want to buy multigrain if possible and freeze for later use. Thanks in advance.

As a former baker and bakery owner i am particular about my bread. In Chiang Rai I believe the best white, rye and multigrain bread are made by Jan the Dutchman at Baan Lom Yen on the road to the elephant camp. He bakes on Wed. and Sun. You can order in advance. After eating his bread I find that others don't meet his standard. His special meals on Friday nights are enjoyable. Note I am not promoting his bread but trying to make others aware of it.

Ban Lom Yen:

Cross the prison bridge heading north. Then turn left about 3 km later like you are going to the elephant camp. There is a stop sign where you turn left. The place in on the right about 1 -2 km up the road. The sign is in English. Park across the street facing a lake of such. Closed Monday and Tuesday. Pizza is always the first Friday night of the month. There is a Thai slop shop across the street from him.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure why no-one has mentioned Doi Chang Coffee shop on Rattanaheat Road (in the corner where the roads meets Thanon Baanpa Pragarn Road). Their burgers are pretty good, but the are a little tight on the fries. Coconut bar on Jet Yod used to do a nice burger with an ample supply of fries, but I am not sure if that is still in operation.

We ended up in Sizzler today after running some errands in Central. I went for the burger, and it was pretty terrible. The bun was sweet and greasy and the cheese wasn't melted at all. 455 baht is pretty ridiculous, too.

Anyone have an idea- "In general" in the restaurant business in countries more developed than Thailand, how much does a restaurant hope to mark up the cost of their food when deciding on the menu price?

Can it really be costing B200 or more to put out a great burger, and then the price perhaps becomes B4-500?

I have now been twice to the Dutch baker that Donald mentioned.

Truly exceptional bread, and a number of other goodies as well. And, as a little added extra, the baker is also a very nice person to talk with.

Anyone have an idea- "In general" in the restaurant business in countries more developed than Thailand, how much does a restaurant hope to mark up the cost of their food when deciding on the menu price?

Can it really be costing B200 or more to put out a great burger, and then the price perhaps becomes B4-500?

I have now been twice to the Dutch baker that Donald mentioned.

Truly exceptional bread, and a number of other goodies as well. And, as a little added extra, the baker is also a very nice person to talk with.

I believe the Australian guesstimat was 4 times cost of food minimum,

The beef to make a good burger here is about 400baht a kilo so taking that at 5 to a kilo (probably more like 4 including waste.

this makes a meat cost of 80 baht so we have 350 baht before the bread and salad and sauce.

Chivit Thammada has a really good Aussie beef burger. Bit pricey but really good.

I tried this today and was quite impressed, not only with the burger but the service and the general ambiance of the place.

It was busy on a wet Sunday but we did not have to wait long.

If I had a problem at all, the roll/bun fell apart early in the meal and I finished up with a knife and fork.

My Americano/Long Black coffee came with hot water to adjust to personal taste.

2 burgers, 2 deserts, 5 coffees 1300B

Chivit Thammada has a really good Aussie beef burger. Bit pricey but really good.

I tried this today and was quite impressed, not only with the burger but the service and the general ambiance of the place.

It was busy on a wet Sunday but we did not have to wait long.

If I had a problem at all, the roll/bun fell apart early in the meal and I finished up with a knife and fork.

My Americano/Long Black coffee came with hot water to adjust to personal taste.

2 burgers, 2 deserts, 5 coffees 1300B

Bit pricey? I'd say exorbitant!

If the coffee was overpriced at 80฿ and the desert was expensive at say 140฿, then you may have paid as much as 310 baht each for the burgers.

I'd call that expensive as hell, not a bit pricey!

I never complained about the price, just posted it without comment.

Like Le Meridien Sunday Brunch it certainly falls into the upper price bracket but it's nice to have somewhere local to go that's a bit better than average when you feel the need.

I also occasionally enjoy Maccas or local Thai food when I go out, it's just about having options.

Archived