Things I love about Lao

Smurkster

The best thing about Laos is that the people don't like Thais, unless they have family in Isaan. Well that's my wifes opinion anyway. People overall are a much friendlier and are a happier bunch. Cheap beer and cigarettes. Good western style food from many parts of the world situated in the center of town. There aren't as many fights, scams pretty much unheard of, caddies are much younger and more sexy.

Overall just great people to work with.

Sounds good to me, and I agree.

But , what is a caddie?? I am curious.

The best thing about Laos is that the people don't like Thais, unless they have family in Isaan. Well that's my wifes opinion anyway. People overall are a much friendlier and are a happier bunch. Cheap beer and cigarettes. Good western style food from many parts of the world situated in the center of town. There aren't as many fights, scams pretty much unheard of, caddies are much younger and more sexy.

Golf Caddies a person who assists with your golf clubs when playing golf.

Good western style food from many parts of the world situated in the center of town.

This very much depends on the town!

All distances start from the center of Vientiane. Vang Vieng 160km North, Paksan 160km South, Freindship bridge 21km West etc. But this is not what this forum is about anyway.

Great sunset overlooking the Mekong to the Thai side.

Taking a boat from Thanong up the river and then just floating back down with food and plenty of Beer Lao on board.

Beer Lao girls serving beer in restaurants.

Going bowling at the bowling center after 12am.

Amazing roads and scenery, friendly smiling people.

The sight of groups of children walking on their way to school, waving at the "farang" passing on his bike.etc etc

Laos and it's people definitly gives me a good feeling.

• Like 2

Laos is ONE big family, forgiving, natural and innocent.

Drugs(Ya baa) however ruin the country from capital all the way down to the poorest villages.

But family like for sure.

• Like 2

A person who carries (wheels) your golf clubs around the golf course for you.

Renting Honda 250 Bajas in Vientiane and riding west, coming to a collapsed bridge (it's not a good idea to try to drive a 40-ton truck across an 18-ton bridge) just before Xamamkham, heading back to Veng and going north... into the boonies... where most of the villagers had never seen a farang... in monsoon season... mud, mud, mud... and rivers flowing across the (so-called) 'road'. Getting attacked by red ants while riding along the jungle trail to Bee Cave... getting stuck in the buffalo-piss, cow-shit 'mud-hole' in the middle of the jungle trail. Spectacular scenery!

Another trip -

Riding down to Khammouane Province... the Thakhek 'Loop'... cave alley... the surreal landscape of the flooded forest at the Naki Reservoir... Kong Lor Cave... the 'limestone forest'.

... and of course, noodle soup (kao bia???)... and Beer Lao!

• Like 2

To see and enjoy the best of Luang Prabang and Vietinenne you should have gone 15 years ago when things were half the price they are now,having said that the bulk of people have dragged themselves out of poverty and we should not deny them a better life.

One thing that stuck me while I was there 15 years ago was the fluency of the English spoken, far better than their counterparts in Thailand.

As has been said best sough dough and beer you could find anywhere and generally pleasant people.

Luang Prabang is being invaded by Chinese touriss tso if you are going pick their low season

If you think they were good 15years ago, you should have seen them 48 years ago as I did--Vientiane was a little slice of French Colonial heaven--the local people were so laid back and friendly, nothing could ruffle them; except the company--great food, wine, and other delicacies

Ok. You guys have convinced me.

Cruisemonkey. Do you have any route maps?

I am up that way in early December and prefer minimal dirt and mud but love mountainous twisted ribbons of bitumen.

Are there any issues taking a Thai registered bike into Laos?

• Like 1

To see and enjoy the best of Luang Prabang and Vietinenne you should have gone 15 years ago when things were half the price they are now,having said that the bulk of people have dragged themselves out of poverty and we should not deny them a better life.

One thing that stuck me while I was there 15 years ago was the fluency of the English spoken, far better than their counterparts in Thailand.

As has been said best sough dough and beer you could find anywhere and generally pleasant people.

Luang Prabang is being invaded by Chinese touriss tso if you are going pick their low season

If you think they were good 15years ago, you should have seen them 48 years ago as I did--Vientiane was a little slice of French Colonial heaven--the local people were so laid back and friendly, nothing could ruffle them; except the company--great food, wine, and other delicacies

Yeah, yeah...when I was a kid, we walked 20 miles to school every day, in the snow and uphill both ways!

In 20 years people will be talking about how great whing use to be.....today!

" I've never seen a site that didn't look better, looking back!"

"I was born under a wandering star"

From Paint your Wagon, sung by Lee Marvin!

Edited by willyumiii