How Thailand Perceives the Massive Influx of Digital Nomads

Digital sexpats might be a more accurate perception

Like the oil and gas workers are not sex pats, come on digital nomads are no more extra sexpats as the oil and gas workers the English teachers and the retired ones. It would be foolish to say that one group has more people attracted to sex as any other.

In reality most digital nomads are younger and far more unlikely to have to pay for sex as their retired countrymen. (before i get the union of OAP's attacking me) That does not mean that all retired guys are sexpats.

But oil

And gas workers have money in the bank and don't sit worrying about cash. There are a few exceptions granted. But they have a drink or drug problem usually. Some blow it on online betting too

We contribute far more to Thailand than those living on £5 a day and a blow job off the old lady on soi sukmeoff that swallows for a can of Leo

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which raises the following point...

One of the underlying reasons why a DM visa will never be made available in the form people want is the fact, the government would no oversight of what that person is getting up to on line, in the name of "digital nomadary" in other words they could be seen as supporting/condoning possible illegal activity on line, by handing out long term visa's to some "retard" who has a laptop and proclaims he is an internet businessman/person/entrepreneur

If something like this every came about, which I don't believe it ever will, they will be required to register some form of legal entity in Thailand

Easiest way (and you probably would not agree with me), just let digital nomads be free of the rule that they have to employ Thais and the fact they can't have 100% shares. This only goes of course if they only serve foreigners in their home country.

Then they would be the same as any business owner and there would be oversight.

Well I did suggest that in one discussion and stated they register a THB 1.0 million capped Ltd Thai company, withholding tax (seeing as income not sourced locally), mandatory medical insurance and audited books as it was shouted down as it was "unfair" blink.png

the share thing is a red herring, BTW thumbsup.gif

Easiest way (and you probably would not agree with me), just let digital nomads be free of the rule that they have to employ Thais and the fact they can't have 100% shares. This only goes of course if they only serve foreigners in their home country.

Certain posters here just don't want more young people living in Thailand, legal or otherwise. They want the country to themselves. Not much use debating them, other than entertainment value.

I saw the title and assumed the world was awaiting my answer to the question posed - thus my answer to the question, admittadly the question has not question mark, my answer implies Thailand is scared of digital nomads and thus preceives them as a threat, and will push all nomads out to see, or back out into another coutnry where they will no longer be percieved as a threat under threat of attitude adjustment - thats my pennies worth

They were known as Art Students before Cyber Space .

4 years of higher education in the Liberal arts, before the realisation hits home they were not remotely qualified to do anything in real life to earn money ?

and get all upset when they end up packing shelves ?

gigglem.gif

I have little sympathy for the folks you describe.

Some freelancers who work fully online have science/tech degrees and have completed graduate school (masters, PhD, etc.)

Like the oil and gas workers are not sex pats, come on digital nomads are no more extra sexpats as the oil and gas workers the English teachers and the retired ones. It would be foolish to say that one group has more people attracted to sex as any other.

In reality most digital nomads are younger and far more unlikely to have to pay for sex as their retired countrymen. (before i get the union of OAP's attacking me) That does not mean that all retired guys are sexpats.

But oil

And gas workers have money in the bank and don't sit worrying about cash. There are a few exceptions granted. But they have a drink or drug problem usually. Some blow it on online betting too

We contribute far more to Thailand than those living on £5 a day and a blow job off the old lady on soi sukmeoff that selfies for a can of Leo

I have no idea what you blow on hookers that is your business. I am also sure its far more as I ever spend on them. But I am not sure that is a thing to be proud of. Might be an oil gas thing that I am not aware of that its a thing to be proud of. I am also not sure if oil and gas have drug problems.. I am Dutch I should have a drug problem or be a drug kingpin.. biggrin.png

Point was about digital nomads being more inclined to be sexpats as oil and gas workers, not who spends more money. I think in general oil and gas workers spend more money. Though now with the low oil prices and all a lot are out of a job. Still i am sure they do contribute. But tell me why would the chance of being a sexpat be higher for a digital nomad then an oil and gas worker.

Or is that just something you thought to be true based on some feeling instead of facts and intellect.

But oil

We contribute far more to Thailand than those living on £5 a day and a blow job off the old lady on soi sukmeoff that selfies for a can of Leo

I have no idea what you blow on hookers that is your business. I am also sure its far more as I ever spend on them. But I am not sure that is a thing to be proud of. Might be an oil gas thing that I am not aware of that its a thing to be proud of. I am also not sure if oil and gas have drug problems.. I am Dutch I should have a drug problem or be a drug kingpin.. biggrin.png

Point was about digital nomads being more inclined to be sexpats as oil and gas workers, not who spends more money. I think in general oil and gas workers spend more money. Though now with the low oil prices and all a lot are out of a job. Still i am sure they do contribute. But tell me why would the chance of being a sexpat be higher for a digital nomad then an oil and gas worker.

Or is that just something you thought to be true based on some feeling instead of facts and intellect.

I spend roughly zero a month. Sometimes less

Which raises the following point...

One of the underlying reasons why a DM visa will never be made available in the form people want is the fact, the government would no oversight of what that person is getting up to on line, in the name of "digital nomadary" in other words they could be seen as supporting/condoning possible illegal activity on line, by handing out long term visa's to some "retard" who has a laptop and proclaims he is an internet businessman/person/entrepreneur

If something like this every came about, which I don't believe it ever will, they will be required to register some form of legal entity in Thailand

Well I did suggest that in one discussion and stated they register a THB 1.0 million capped Ltd Thai company, withholding tax (seeing as income not sourced locally), mandatory medical insurance and audited books as it was shouted down as it was "unfair" blink.png

the share thing is a red herring, BTW thumbsup.gif

I don't think that is unfair, I think its unfair to have to hire 4 Thais for people like that especially if they work with non English speaking clients. Its hard enough to find a Thai employee that speaks good English, try finding one that speaks Dutch. (obsolete language)

I think all books are audited in Thailand, i know were are. Quite a lot of money for the bit of work they do. (as an accountant I know how much work is done).

The shares might be a red herring as there are constructions to keep voting rights safe, but not sure how legal it is. I never had those problems as I trusted the people who hold the other shares, and I made sure that surplus liquidity did not stay in the company

But oil

So you get paid for it.. wow I never reached that level. Maybe if i try grannies.. is that your secret biggrin.png

But you gave no real reason why you think digital nomads are more prone to be sexpats, so I take it it has no grounds ?

But oil And gas workers have money in the bank and don't sit worrying about cash. There are a few exceptions granted. But they have a drink or drug problem usually. Some blow it on online betting too

We contribute far more to Thailand than those living on £5 a day and a blow job off the old lady on soi sukmeoff that swallows for a can of Leo

You guys make fun of digital nomads saying they contribute to the economy, yet say the same thing yourselves. Can't have it both ways.

Really no one's contribution is significant, we're an insignificant % of the population and Thailand isn't a poor country. Thailand doesn't care about your money or mine. They care about the social effect westerners have - if they read your sour post here, they'd want you gone sooner than me. If they digged deeper into some of the obnoxious threads on this forum - mostly penned by the retirement crowd - they'd be disgusted.

Meanwhile most of the digital nomads are full of praise for Thailand on their Google-optimized Wordpress blogs, networking in Facebook groups with thousands of people that will become the next Thailand tourists, making viral YouTube videos etc. A much smaller % participate in the red light scene, they go to Crossfit classes and discuss the best Vegan restaurants with their smiling friends in co-working spaces, uploading cultural photos to their Instagram and Tumblr.

A much more positive group of people for Thailand in the years to come. Out with the old, in with the new I say.

Certain posters here just don't want more young people living in Thailand, legal or otherwise. They want the country to themselves. Not much use debating them, other than entertainment value.

Its got nothing to do with more young people living in Thailand...blink.png but everything to do with some peoples belief they should be entitled to special treatment/privileges

my remarks on the subject of "digital nomadary" are no different to my remarks on the subject on medical treatment and some peoples belief as neither a legal resident or citizen of country they should be given subsidised or even free "medical" treatment in Thailand just because they are not responsible enough to take out appropriate medical insurance

Its called Self entitlement, non age specific....but it does seem every time there is an attempt to debate this thread, the same faces pop up...with the same old cliches...boo hoo.. you people don't like young people, boo hoo its just not fair...stamp stamp little feet..pout pout

There is very little debate, simple because some people are incapable of debating a topic...Certain posters here just don't want more young people living in Thailand, legal or otherwise

this is not debate...

Its got nothing to do with more young people living in Thailand...blink.png but everything to do with some peoples belief they should be entitled to special treatment/privileges

I'm perfectly happy with living here on tourist visa runs, no special visa for me thanks.

my remarks on the subject of "digital nomadary" are no different to my remarks on the subject on medical treatment and some peoples belief as neither a legal resident or citizen of country they should be given subsidised or even free "medical" treatment in Thailand just because they are not responsible enough to take out appropriate medical insurance

Its called Self entitlement, non age specific....but it does seem every time there is an attempt to debate this thread, the same faces pop up...with the same old cliches...boo hoo.. you people don't like young people, boo hoo its just not fair...stamp stamp little feet..pout pout

There is very little debate, simple because some people are incapable of debating a topic...Certain posters here just don't want more young people living in Thailand, legal or otherwise

this is not debate...

Of course we have no right to health benefits though I know of quite a few OAPs applying for cards, not digital nomads.

The health benefits should only be for those that earn wages and pay taxes and into the system all others should get their own insurance. Seems logical. (just paid my health insurance again) I would not feel safe living without it. I got quite some money in the bank but real serious stuff can wipe your savings out.

this is not debate...

Of course we have no right to health benefits though I know of quite a few OAPs applying for cards, not digital nomads.

The health benefits should only be for those that earn wages and pay taxes and into the system all others should get their own insurance. Seems logical. (just paid my health insurance again) I would not feel safe living without it. I got quite some money in the bank but real serious stuff can wipe your savings out.

Well said OAP's may not be entitled to that card, as it wasn't intended for them, it was for migrant workers, and believe the plug has been pulled on it anyway

But oil

So you get paid for it.. wow I never reached that level. Maybe if i try grannies.. is that your secret biggrin.png

But you gave no real reason why you think digital nomads are more prone to be sexpats, so I take it it has no grounds ?

My secret is being married

Well said OAP's may not be entitled to that card, as it wasn't intended for them, it was for migrant workers, and believe the plug has been pulled on it anyway

Yes the plug is being pulled, I read the same thing.

But its logical that only those paying into the system should get benefits.

If the Thai government wants to create such an insurance for us I would applaud it and it might be good but it should be cost neutral for the government. No reason for them to finance it for us.

There is an argument to be made for the government setting it up, but that is a different thing from entitlement.

Currently I am insured with a French company and so far only had to claim once when a 25 kg plate crushed my toe sad.png

They seem to be ok but they don't always warn me when I have to pay. I pay twice a year and do prefer a notification about paying it but don't always get it and I almost forgot paying once.

if you get a good job you get worldwide heath care thrown in,

Usually the US is excluded for some reason on a lot of these polices..whistling.gif.... mine is "world wide"...excluding the US, if I went to the US, on the current one the policy would have to be "topped up"...however when I worked in the US, my insurance only covered the US and "mainland Europe" for some reason, not fussed provided I have coverage where i need it...

Last long term remote contract I had included a 4k USD health care bonus negotiated into the contract as a cash addition. Enough for worldwide outpatient cover (excluding US) for a family, (and income protection, and life insurance).

The rate aside from that was for slightly more than 5 dollars a day as it happens, though I did enjoy mama noodles now and again, sometimes with an egg.

They aren't all as skint as some make out.

I dropped my health insurance last year. I was on Cigna for world wide coverage, which excluded the U.S. It was affordable, but I had a long lull in work, and decided to shut down all outgoing expenses, which meant not to renewing again. I am 44, though, so probably a good idea to renew it again.

One thing that is nice about working for someone else is having stuff like health insurance and tax withholdings taken care of. I really can't stand dealing with that stuff.

of course not, but one suspects out of say 5 who have made ago of it, there are a 1000 who are stuck firmly in the mamma noodle brigade laugh.png

and those 5 would have already made a plan as regards long term visa's in Thailand and not looking for a DN visa any way thumbsup.gif

I dropped my health insurance last year. I was on Cigna for world wide coverage, which excluded the U.S. It was affordable, but I had a long lull in work, and decided to shut down all outgoing expenses, which meant not to renewing again. I am 44, though, so probably a good idea to renew it again.
One thing that is nice about working for someone else is having stuff like health insurance and tax withholdings taken care of. I really can't stand dealing with that stuff.

You and many others hate that, that is why there are accountants / tax advisers and bookkeepers. Some people are really not suitable for being self-employed. Others seem to do well, it really depends on what type of person you are. Being self employed or running a business is not for everyone.

I have been an employee and I have been a business owner, both have its advantages and disadvantages.

of course not, but one suspects out of say 5 who have made ago of it, there are a 1000 who are stuck firmly in the mamma noodle brigade laugh.png

and those 5 would have already made a plan as regards long term visa's in Thailand and not looking for a DN visa any way thumbsup.gif

You really take glory in the downfall of others, Soutpeel. Ha, ha, they screwed up and couldn't make it! [insert laughing emoticon] They are idiots for trying and idiots for being poor! [insert sarcastic thumbs up]
I suppose your assumption may be right that most people trying to work online fail, but I don't really know, I don't have any statistics, just like you don't.
The DM/freelancers I know are highly qualified and make decent money. The ones in Thailand would like to get legitimate by a realistic method. I don't know why you keep focusing on the failures, but if it gives you joy to feel superior, then I don't mean to take that joy away from you: Keep dismissing the whole field as a bunch of unqualified, broke idiots who only selfishly want to avoid taxes and avoid playing by the rules.
Do you hot key the sarcastic emoticons, by the way? You use them so frequently.

You and many others hate that, that is why there are accountants / tax advisers and bookkeepers. Some people are really not suitable for being self-employed. Others seem to do well, it really depends on what type of person you are. Being self employed or running a business is not for everyone.

I have been an employee and I have been a business owner, both have its advantages and disadvantages.

I know I couldn't be self employed/run a business. It's not for me.

Its not important you seem to be doing ok anyway, but i seen clients who are just not suited for it and they try it anyway.. it fails. When you are self employed you have to be able to motivate yourself to start working instead of sleeping long and partying all day. If you can't do that a boss is a better option.

I done both and though I make more money self employed and I like it more one of its disadvantages is that your business never sleeps. If you work for a boss and take a holiday you get a holiday and can forget about everything. That is in general not the case with business owners. (sure some are able to this but most are not)

Nothing is perfect and it all depends on who and how you are.

Its not important you seem to be doing ok anyway, but i seen clients who are just not suited for it and they try it anyway.. it fails. When you are self employed you have to be able to motivate yourself to start working instead of sleeping long and partying all day. If you can't do that a boss is a better option.

I done both and though I make more money self employed and I like it more one of its disadvantages is that your business never sleeps. If you work for a boss and take a holiday you get a holiday and can forget about everything. That is in general not the case with business owners. (sure some are able to this but most are not)

Makes sense mate. My life and work is just fine. I understand the perks of being your on boss. But I like clocking out or finishing a hitch on a rig and not thinking about work till

I go back

I think it's safe to say that when you own a business you never really switch off?

Makes sense mate. My life and work is just fine. I understand the perks of being your on boss. But I like clocking out or finishing a hitch on a rig and not thinking about work till

I go back

I think it's safe to say that when you own a business you never really switch off?

I think some can switch off 100% but most cannot, it does depend what kind of business it is off-course. I could never switch 100% off but it was easier when my employee became more skilled.

You really take glory in the downfall of others, Soutpeel. Ha, ha, they screwed up and couldn't make it! [insert laughing emoticon] They are idiots for trying and idiots for being poor! [insert sarcastic thumbs up]
I suppose your assumption may be right that most people trying to work online fail, but I don't really know, I don't have any statistics, just like you don't.
The DM/freelancers I know are highly qualified and make decent money. The ones in Thailand would like to get legitimate by a realistic method. I don't know why you keep focusing on the failures, but if it gives you joy to feel superior, then I don't mean to take that joy away from you: Keep dismissing the whole field as a bunch of unqualified, broke idiots who only selfishly want to avoid taxes and avoid playing by the rules.
Do you hot key the sarcastic emoticons, by the way? You use them so frequently.

That's his idea of 'debate'.

How many people in boss in brick and mortar businesses really 'make it'? The same 5 in 1000? Most friends I know back home in the UK are broke after expenses and taxes, scraping by month to month. Trading time for money, working for someone else.

CNN Money had a famous article saying half of Americans could not raise $2000 if needed. http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/24/news/economy/americans_lack_emergency_funds/

Years go by and still Thailand allows perpetual visa runs via Vientiane, so they don't seem to have a problem with what I'm doing.

I'm not sure if the freelancing world is for me or not, but it's where my life has gone, and certainly offers me more financial security overall than any other job I could do.
I am fine with motivating myself, keeping a strict schedule, not procrastinating, etc.
My problem is dealing with the billing end of things. I hate invoicing, chasing after clients who owe me money (never been ripped off yet, but nudging a client is sometimes necessary), and debates on what pricing should be. Generally I don't have problems with clients, but when I do, it really stresses me out. If they debate too much about pricing, I usually just decline. "Sorry, other work came in, I'm too busy now, find someone else. And good luck with that meager pricing you're offering."
About a year ago a Greek client owed me a few thousand euro, and it took alot of hounding to get paid.Reading about Greece's money problems just made me sure I was screwed, but in the end, the client paid up with lots of apologies.
There is little recourse in the "digital nomad" world when client's don't pay. There is alot of trust involved (also for the clients hiring the freelancer, cuz the feelancer could just be some unqualified poser)

Archived