Mae Sai

panda27

I'll be on a 30-day tourist visa, and intend to do a visa run via Mae Sai. I'm just confused about the process from various sources on the web. Do I go straight to the border bridge to cancel my visa, or do I need to stop at the immigration office first, which is about 1km from the border?

I'll be on a 30-day tourist visa, and intend to do a visa run via Mae Sai. I'm just confused about the process from various sources on the web. Do I go straight to the border bridge to cancel my visa, or do I need to stop at the immigration office first, which is about 1km from the border?

You are confused. A 30 day stamp is not a visa. The laws are changing the 1st of next month on this type of stay. Go to the bridge.

Go to the bridge, you get stamped out of Thailand, keep to the right on the bridge, cross the border (river), on your right second door(Myanmar Immigration), you go in, give your passport and 500 bath or 10 US$ and get a little receipt, go into Tachilek, buy some unsmokeable cigaretttes (pay no more than 80 bath for a box), buy som unplayable DVD's/CD's, on your way back, just opposite where you left your passport (you still have the receipt ??) you find a "Dutyfree Shop" where you actually can find some drinkable red wine for a quite good price and also some good Scotch Whiskys, pick up your passport (if you still have the receipt), walk back over the bridge, keep to the left, fill in the white card, eventually show 10 000 bath, get another 30 days in LOS, pass the customs (if you have not bought too many unplayable DVD's/CD's) and you are back home!

Easy! Maybe not after Oct 1st.....

Good Luck!!

:o:D:D

Just follows as suggested by the above posters on your visa run. I would suggest not to buy any illegal or copyrighted goods for the time being, as the thai custom might bang on you for smuggling illegal goods.

Agee. The DVD and audio tapes can be purchased on the Mae Sai side for twice the price, but that is still only a 100 baht, and if bad, can be returned.

Thanks all for the clarification! I only intend to stay for less than 2 months, and going across to Myanmar is cheaper than getting a 2-month tourist visa. I've heard about the "3-month and you are out rule", that doesn't apply to me, luckily.

How about giving an update when you get back. Lots of people are wondering if anything will be said prior to October 1.

And if they Dont let you back in drop us a posing from Burma with your escape plan. :o

How about giving an update when you get back. Lots of people are wondering if anything will be said prior to October 1.

And if they Dont let you back in drop us a posing from Burma with your escape plan. :o

I was kind of figuring that if we got an update it was good news and if we never got one it would be bad news.