Former Bangkok police chief 'arrested with gun' in Japanese airport

webfact

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife is flying this morning on an AirAsia domestic flight, so I was noodling around the Thai AirAsia website, and wondered what they say about carrying handguns in baggage, either carry on or checked in.

Here's their answer (at least for "regular" folks like us):

The following items are prohibited in your baggage whether it is checked in or not:

icon-no_11821.png Firearms and ammunition

Meanwhile, ThaiAir seems to have similar requirements as to checked and carry on luggage:

Answer

International law prohibits the placing of magnetised, inflammable, corrosive, radioactive, oxidising, or explosive articles; pressurised gasses, toxic substances, oxygen cylinders, paint, mercury, munitions, and fireworks in checked or unchecked (carry-on) luggage.

In many countries, strong-smelling materials, lighter fuel and refills, fresh food or fruit, infected live animals, or weapons must not be taken aboard the aircraft. Such items are subject to confiscation and the owner may be subject to a fine, depending on the country. If you are not certain if an item you are carrying is prohibited, please ask a THAI agent before you arrive at check-in.

At DM airport, just past the ticket check on the right (before the x-ray machines), is the unloading bay for weapons. Just around the corner they have an office for everyone to surrender their weapons before the flights. The weapons will be 'sealed' for the flight and signed for again at the destination.

This is just for the domestic flights for all carriers and as said above is applicable to everyone.

Japanese media now suggesting it could be up to 20 days before the prosecutors decide what to do so he will have plenty of time to check out the inside of their cells.

Kind of a topsy-turvey world where it takes a Thai policeman traveling to a different country in order to get tossed into jail for breaking the law.

Here in Thailand, needless to say, the Thai police almost never find themselves looking at the inside of jail cells as inhabitants.

It would be a really nice twist if his weapon arrived by other means into Japan and was put into his hand baggage before departure.

Nice way to completely discredit someone...............wink.png

Far fetched I know, but IMO so is trying to board an international flight with a weapon anyway.

I am trying to think about my hand baggage (and I travel quite a lot) and how I wouldn't know that there wasn't a handgun there. Can't quite see that that is possible.

It would be a really nice twist if his weapon arrived by other means into Japan and was put into his hand baggage before departure.

Nice way to completely discredit someone...............wink.png

Far fetched I know, but IMO so is trying to board an international flight with a weapon anyway.

I am trying to think about my hand baggage (and I travel quite a lot) and how I wouldn't know that there wasn't a handgun there. Can't quite see that that is possible.

Personally, I never carry a gun. However, I have more than once accidentally had items in my hand baggage that I know are not permitted. People who travel frequently by various means often do not unpack and repack each time. So, assuming he routinely packs a gun when traveling in Thailand, I absolutely believe he could just not have thought about it being there and the need to remove it.

Incidentally, should he have carried it from Thailand and realized he had it after arrival in Japan, he could have made a tidy packet selling it on the black market there. Handguns are very scarce. Given the right contacts, he could probably have got US$100,000 for it.

Personally, I never carry a gun. However, I have more than once accidentally had items in my hand baggage that I know are not permitted. People who travel frequently by various means often do not unpack and repack each time. So, assuming he routinely packs a gun when traveling in Thailand, I absolutely believe he could just not have thought about it being there and the need to remove it.

Incidentally, should he have carried it from Thailand and realized he had it after arrival in Japan, he could have made a tidy packet selling it on the black market there. Handguns are very scarce. Given the right contacts, he could probably have got US$100,000 for it.

He could also have got caught trying to sell it and end up spending the rest of his life in a Japanese prison. Which is probably going to happen anyway. Would have been a smarter option than trying to take it on a plane, I guess.

He could also have got caught trying to sell it and end up spending the rest of his life in a Japanese prison. Which is probably going to happen anyway. Would have been a smarter option than trying to take it on a plane, I guess.

Sounds like a bit of exaggeration going on here, halloween! US$100,000 sounds an awful lot for such a little thing! However, I know nothing of such things, so maybe you're right!

And BritTim, do you honestly think that an ex Bangkok Police Chief is going to be put in a Japanese prison FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE for trying to sell a handgun? Or for the even lesser crime of carrying it onto a plane?

Sounds like a bit of exaggeration going on here, halloween! US$100,000 sounds an awful lot for such a little thing! However, I know nothing of such things, so maybe you're right!

And BritTim, do you honestly think that an ex Bangkok Police Chief is going to be put in a Japanese prison FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE for trying to sell a handgun? Or for the even lesser crime of carrying it onto a plane?

Try to get who said what right.

He is 60, and the charge of trying to take a gun on a plane has a max sentence of 30 years, not that it's likely he'll get that. OTOH, if they decide to "ladder" him, stack up all possible charges and add possession, smuggling, ammo charges, and make the penalties consecutive, he would need to do a Rip van Winkle.

I suspect there is a lot more to this story which may or not get know about.

This must be a real embarrassment to the Japanese who have strict gun control, and very difficult to get a licence for a hand gun.

The bad news for the Ex Police Chief is the Japanese prisons are not much better than the ones Japan ran in Thailand 70 years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/07/08/world/prisons-in-japan-are-safe-but-harsh.html

Sounds like a bit of exaggeration going on here, halloween! US$100,000 sounds an awful lot for such a little thing

It is hard to know. Such sales in Japan are so rare that nobody could say exactly. I found a reference from 2008 that estimated 1-1.2 million yen for a handgun. All unregistered firearms are scarce in Japan, but handguns especially so as their legal private ownership is completely banned. Some police are also forbidden to carry firearms. Other police in Japan do carry handguns. These are .38 special revolvers, not easily concealed. Karmronwit's "little thing", being easily concealed, would actually be especially desirable.

Possibly yes. Japanese gun laws are extremely tough. However, if the Japanese authorities believe he carried the gun to Japan unintentionally, I think they will be lenient. Kamronwit better be able to show he owned the gun legally in Thailand, else he may spend the rest of his life in a Japanese jail.

Sounds like a bit of exaggeration going on here, halloween! US$100,000 sounds an awful lot for such a little thing

It is hard to know. Such sales in Japan are so rare that nobody could say exactly. I found a reference from 2008 that estimated 1-1.2 million yen for a handgun. All unregistered firearms are scarce in Japan, but handguns especially so as their legal private ownership is completely banned. Some police are also forbidden to carry firearms. Other police in Japan do carry handguns. These are .38 special revolvers, not easily concealed. Karmronwit's "little thing", being easily concealed, would actually be especially desirable.

Possibly yes. Japanese gun laws are extremely tough. However, if the Japanese authorities believe he carried the gun to Japan unintentionally, I think they will be lenient. Kamronwit better be able to show he owned the gun legally in Thailand, else he may spend the rest of his life in a Japanese jail.

Yes, I thought it sounded like a bit of an exaggeration!

At today's exchange rate:-

1,200,000.00 JPY = 9,684.839 USD

So, more like $10,000 than $100,000!!!

I have been following this story, so 1st he forgot, then he might be too old to remember, it's his gun, it's not his gun, it's a keychain, its not a problem, he had it for years, it not registered, blah blah blah just face it, he will get off either from political pressure or becuase there is no justice in the world. We all jump on it and say "this will show Thailand they can't get away with it once outside of Thailand" but the sad thing is they will. We as farang get the smelly end of the stick 9.9 times out of 10 so just accept that we see the wierd ideas and just have to say "f it" because we can't understand Thai thinking no matter how long we stay here. wai2.gif

I almost boarded a plane Kuwait to BKK once with something questionable in my carry-on.

Luckily a last minute check to be sure found it.

I have to admit that I once boarded a flight in Bucharest with a Swiss army knife in my carry-on that I had forgotten to put in my check-in luggage. I was also a bit shocked to discover it when I rummaged in the bag on arrival at Heathrow.

A gun store owner in Bkk told me that one of her customers had once taken a small hand gun to Hawaii in his check-in by mistake before 9/11 tightened things up. When he discovered it, he did the sensible thing and dumped it somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived