Full Moon parties on Koh Phangan to be allowed again but must be free of drugs

webfact

Full Moon parties to be allowed again but must be free of drugs

24-6-2558-10-53-12-wpcf_728x409.jpg

KOH PHANGAN: -- Full moon parties on Koh Phangan in Surat Thani province will be permitted again but with conditions that operators must strictly abide by the official rules and regulations.

This was revealed by Koh Phangan district chief officer Krirk-krai Songthani after a meeting with business operators on the island yesterday.

After a meeting with business operators, he agreed to allow only some business operators to hold full moon parties but they must strictly abide by the rules and regulations.

The assurance was made as the chief officer went to inspect business operators affected by the party ban.

He inspected a business operator at Village Group 2 of Tambon Ban Tai in Koh Phangan where it was permitted to hold full moon party by local administrative office.

He said full moon parties were banned following complaints by local people and communities that they were badly affected by the noisy parties. The provincial administrative office received the complaints and later came out with the ban if full moon parties.

But he said as he also realised that full moon parties is the selling point of Koh Phangan.

He said the ban has started to affect business operators, thus prompting authorities to investigate and start talking with business operators.

It was agreed that they would be allowed to hold full moon parties again but they must first apply for permits.

If they meet all criterion laud down under the rules and regulations, they will be allowed to hold the parties on a case by case basis, he said.

But he said full moon parties will not be allowed to be held on the beaches as they will have environmental impact on the beaches.

He also cautioned business operators to make sure of their safety measure and that the party must be free of drugs.

If drugs are engaged, they will be banned from holding parties definitely, he said.

He said three operators have been granted permissions to hold full moon parties.

They are Half Moon Party, SRA Manohra Party and Cheeva Moon Party.

Meanwhile the owner of Half Moon Party Mr Pee Patanasdiri welcomed the authority understanding of the business and allowed full moon parties again.

He promised that all business operators will be willing to give full cooperation to abide by all conditions with pledged to tighten control on drug abuses.

He said business operators who ate not yet granted permits to hold parties will start to improve their places to meet official conditions.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/full-moon-parties-to-be-allowed-again-but-must-be-free-of-drugs

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-24

Intersting article, particularly, "allow only some business operators; strictly abide by the rules; started to affect business operators, thus prompting authirities ti investigate; allowed on a case by case basis; must be free of drugs; not allowed to be held on the beaches; pledged to tighten control on drug abuses".

Well that's that sorted then, all well and good!!

The Full Moon parties was the main reason, why I have always stayed far away from Koh Phangan. I was seriously planning to visit the island this year or early next year, but will now have to change my destination.

The Full Moon parties was the main reason, why I have always stayed far away from Koh Phangan. I was seriously planning to visit the island this year or early next year, but will now have to change my destination.

If you avoid Haad Rin and the 5 day window with the moon in the centre you'll be absolutely fine. The island itself is beautiful and well worth a visit.

History and folklore has shown that full moon parties are synonymous with Pot

I have never been to one but I can see the full moon parties now. " Hey dude what did they do in the old parties"

"I hear they are starting full moon parties in Washington DC"

What about people who have made their plans for up to a year beforehand, particularly in their gap year?

Coach companies who have to plan months beforehand in order to bring in participants?

Hey it's tough not being drunk and/or stoned.

As for the coach companies it would give them a chance to do some maintainance

and driver training.

I have nothing against young people having a good time but if they cannot do this while in some sort of control ?

In the UK we now have a law that says, if a person (girl) is drunk, they cannot give permission for sex. There is no understanding that if the boy is also off his head he has no understanding of any language.

Tell them they will be arrested if they are under the influence of drugs, or are antisocial,wai2.gif and held in a Thai Jail and forced to pay their way out if they are lucky.

What about people who have made their plans for up to a year beforehand, particularly in their gap year?

Coach companies who have to plan months beforehand in order to bring in participants?

And I thought that a Full Moon Party is, when the Moon is “full”, but seems like the article talks about “full moon parties” when the Moon is half – “Half Moon Party”, to my knowledge that’s twice a month – and some other to me unknown “full moons”, named as: “SRA Manohra Party” and “Cheeva Moon Party”; however there also used to be a “Black Moon Party”, not at a beach, but somewhere at the middle of the Haad Rin isthmus.

Just say “Moon-parties” would make more sense...

By the way, Full Moon Party never stopped – at least the original one at Sunrise Beach – otherwise I’ve been partying in a parallel Matrix the last full moons; however, one may never know what’s real, and what’s an illusion only...

biggrin.png

No one in their right mind would believe a word of this article. There is far too much under the table money involved and the RTP is has absolutely no incentive to deprive their rice bowl. Profit before all else is the mandate here.

If you avoid Haad Rin and the 5 day window with the moon in the centre you'll be absolutely fine. The island itself is beautiful and well worth a visit.

Yes, evadgib, absolutly right, but xonax, for the really nice and exotic Ko Phangan you should have gone there 20 or even better 30 years ago.

the real spirit of the full moon party was lost around 1993 when they put the road in, nowadays Its just soap dodgers, jugglers and clowns,

Agree

Must admit been to a few raves in my time, but the full moon parties just look like total banal cr*p for rich kids on their equally banal gap years. Interestingly - a report in the UK from major employees stated they would rather see kids flipping hamburgers than travelling around to 'find themselves ' at full moon parties.

Junta is just trying to play the responsible card - by taking something away that makes oodles of money, the top togs will beg and bribe them with bigger pay checks. cutting out the police and going straight to the source, i.e. the Junta.

Basically this is how the military are getting their piece of the full moon pie. i believe soi Cowboy is also under the military thumb this week too.

Archived