Full Moon parties on Koh Phangan to be allowed again but must be free of drugs

webfact

The Full Moon parties was the main reason, why I have always stayed far away from Koh Phangan. I was seriously planning to visit the island this year or early next year, but will now have to change my destination.

It's a shame that they think this is the only way to "attract" punters to the island...

why Thai people cannot think outside of the box for a change & not look at what they think they have lost but look at what they could gain with a little bit of entrepreneurialism, it could make it a sort after destination for all the right reasons & provide healthy business for all concerned.

promoting a head-banging music festival for the "young-at-heart" is just a fast-buck return for little as possible expenditure!

Wasted opportunity due to usual short term profit & vision !

I thought the only reason people went to these parties was to take drugs.

SEE MORPHO

You have it wrong!!!!!!!!!!

People go to them to make fools of themselves, get drunk, robbed and suckered while having fun.

Like Booze the drugs just help the enjoyment

Before we bash too many Thais

I think that we need to look at where we left.

North America has Daytona beach and Mexico matching if not surpassing full moon.

Tenerife used to be the spot I think for Brits but it is now Spain.

I think I would almost prefer my kid go to full moon than Daytona or Mexico

All of these are built on one thing and one thing only

EZ MONEY

The Full Moon parties was the main reason, why I have always stayed far away from Koh Phangan. I was seriously planning to visit the island this year or early next year, but will now have to change my destination.

koh phangan is one of the largest islands in thailand, and the full moon party exists on one beach one night per month.

there are 2 entire coastlines, that are party free and up wards of 20 km away. you would not even suspect they were there.

i dont really care whether you visit the island or not, as long as you don't mind making decisions based on ignorance.

the article is obviously a hackneyed translation.

First of all, the Full Moon Party which takes place on the beach in haadrin was never under suspension.

this article is discussing additional parties which occur in baan tai at the halfmoon and other times during the month. these are smaller (though often not small) parties that occur entirely independant of the Full Moon Party.

free of drug???????????????????????????????????

what a question man ....................of course...no drugburp.gif at all hipppppppppssss..!

eyes who don't seey, heart don't feel

coffee1.gif drug will always be present somewhere...it is like coruption some people are addict to it

"...If drugs are engaged, they will be banned from holding parties definitely, he said..."

Drugs will be "ENGAGED" so parties will be banned once again, that is if the police are actually out there doing their job...they won't be able to miss the drugs.

the article is obviously a hackneyed translation.

First of all, the Full Moon Party which takes place on the beach in haadrin was never under suspension.

this article is discussing additional parties which occur in baan tai at the halfmoon and other times during the month. these are smaller (though often not small) parties that occur entirely independant of the Full Moon Party.

That what I was thinking...

I had read that the half moon parties were banned, only two months ago while I was on Samui everybody was selling boat tickets for the Half Moon party on the 2nd of May.

If you avoid Haad Rin and the 5 day window with the moon in the centre you'll be absolutely fine. The island itself is beautiful and well worth a visit.

Yes, evadgib, absolutly right, but xonax, for the really nice and exotic Ko Phangan you should have gone there 20 or even better 30 years ago.

I agree - I first went there 26 years ago and it was lovely. Went back 10 years ago and found it totally spoiled. I dread to to think what it's like now - sort of like Phuket, I suppose bah.gif

The number one drug is ALCOHOL......

Personally I'd rather be around a pot head than a drunk.

Not all drinkers are nasty...some of us giggle a lot and then go to sleep.......

OH!!! Suppose that's what you meant? whistling.gif

The FMP party morons should be banned from Thailand.

This will not be a problem, as most of the youths who attend these parties have little interest in drugs. LOL.

Actually, the ones who stand to lose the most are the MIB. The average "bust" for smoking a joint is a 100,000 bribe. They are buying villas with this money.

How do you stop drugs at these parties. No problem to still do drugs if you know big brother is watching. Local complain about the noise but do not complain about the money they spend in there district. Can not under stand what Thai people really want? Tourist or no money for there families.

If there is any hope of this event ever being free of drugs, all of the police on the island must be removed, and replaced, with reliable and honest policemen. The police on KPG have been making a fortune for year, by arresting unsuspecting party goers, for smoking weed, and extorting 100,000 bribes in exchange for letting them go. Has the big man done anything about this practice yet? I do not think so. Has anyone done anything? Perhaps too much money at stake? Will anything change? Why would anything change, when the only deterrent is corrupt cops to contend with?

If there is any hope of this event ever being free of drugs, all of the police on the island must be removed, and replaced, with reliable and honest policemen. The police on KPG have been making a fortune for year, by arresting unsuspecting party goers, for smoking weed, and extorting 100,000 bribes in exchange for letting them go. Has the big man done anything about this practice yet? I do not think so. Has anyone done anything? Perhaps too much money at stake? Will anything change? Why would anything change, when the only deterrent is corrupt cops to contend with?

The only hope there is mate is to hire a team of professional killers from say Columbia, ship them to Phangan and get them to knock off these corrupt cops one by one. Perhaps then the big man will listen but the chance that something like this is ever going to happen is as likely as the island being burnt to the ground by a flock of dragons.

How is it possible that these scumbag cops make millions of baht every year by extorting gormless tourists? It's unreal when you think about it. The tourists should know that if they don't pay the bribe they will have to wait a few days and then they will be sent to Samui court where the judge will give them a fine of 5-10.000 baht and a suspended sentence, so no real jail time. That's if they are caught with a few joints or just a few yaba or xtc pills. Their method of squeezing large amounts of cash out of unaware youngsters only works through their fear tactics. Unless you are caught dealing(hardly ever happens as many dealers work together with the cops or it's the cops dealing themselves) you don't have to worry too much. I've seen plenty of guys on the island being caught. You sit a few days and then Samui and pay 6000 baht and bye bye.

Note to oneself: Start a Facebook page with this information to help unaware tourists

Not full moon parties every day

Archived