Will Koh Pha Ngan remain Koh Pha Ngan without full moon party?

Thaivisa News

Koh Pha Ngan, Surat Thani:- Tourism operators Thursdays called on the Surat Thani provincial administration to fully lift the ban on the notorious full moon party on the island, saying without the party the tourism business on the island would never be the same.

Their representative, Wannee Thaiphanit, chairwoman of the Koh Pha Ngan Tourism Promotion Association, cried foul that the ban has severely affected tourism on her island.

She said nearly all reservations of hotels and resorts were canceled after foreign tourists learned that the full moon party activities on the island were prohibited.

The provincial administration has slapped a ban on full moon party activities on Pha Ngan since April 5.

After several tourism business operators cried foul that the ban affected their business, the provincial administration allowed the activities to be held on case by case basis.

Tourism businesses had to submit a request for holding full moon party activities. Krirkkrai Songthani, chief of Pha Ngan district, said seven or eight had submitted request for holding the activities and three requests have been approved.

Krirkkrai said the operators were instructed to take good care of tourists' safety and to ensure no drug would be allowed in the parties.

But Wannee said the ban should be lifted totally so that the same atmosphere would return to the island.

Wannee said the full moon party had negative image in the past but now the party has changed so she would like the society to change their attitude towards full moon party.

Allow the party, but be wary of rip-offs. Perhaps post 2 or 3 'Safe Space' booths where people can report crimes - staffed by Thais who can speak some English, along with a few farang who know Thai. The booths can cover as 1st Aid Stations - for injuries and issues stemming from ingesting too much drugs. They could also function as a safe place from pursuing sexual predators and a 'drunk tank' to allow a cooling-out period for drunks who are too drunk to drive.

I've heard more than a few stories of backpackers having things stolen at the FMP. ...and sexual predatation.

I really don't understand this article. The full moon party is still every month. Check out the dates: http://www.fullmoonparty-thailand.com/schedules.html

Banned were just all the other parties like half moon, shiva moon, black moon and so on.

So, why talking about full moon party all the time? Or have I missed something?

All I can guess is to make a bigger headline, no one has heard about the other parties, some tourists do know that there are other parties but couldn't tell you which was on until they saw the posters.

As you said the full moon party itself was never banned just the privately run ones (that are held on private property).

Anything things have been quiet since the latest ban began because... it's LOW season (seriously the current ban began in April which is right about when low season starts and just happens to start to be lifted at the end of June ready for the July/August high season).

I don't buy into any of this. The backpacker tourists who frequented the full moon party did not spend much money. And few of them ever left Had Rin, which is a sewer of a town. The vast majority of Phangan tourists have zero interest in that seriously over rated "party". Those people who attend the party stay one or two days. The tourists who do not stay a week or two. Phangan is a lovely island, with much to see. It is a bit like Bali. As long as you avoid the southernmost part of the island, it is quite nice. I usually take a ferry into Thongsala, and never venture into Had Rin. The few times I have, I asked myself what on earth could have compelled me to do so.

Koh Pha Ngan, Surat Thani:- Wannee said the full moon party had negative image in the past but now the party has changed so she would like the society to change their attitude towards full moon party.

Slashing 2 decades from a killers sentance before the original ink had dried and the general indifference shown each time tourists are maimed, assaulted or murdered fuel that image...

Thankfully the tech-savvie audience and their parents are finally getting the message that KPG frankly isn't safe.

I have lived on Koh Phangan for seven years and seen very little of the so called Drug Scene. I am street savy. Of course there are drugs as there are with every event that young people attend. I would bet there are more drugs on every British High Street Town every Friday and Saturday night than there are in Koh Phangan. Also lets be clear if the Thai Island residents want to stop the drugs they can do it overnight. They and the Police are fully aware of who is involved and it can be stopped if they really wanted. Although its low season the Island has fewer visitors than normal at this time of the year and many business's suffer badly. A lot of blame can be placed on the local's who voted for all parties except Full Moon to be banned. Surprise surprise they lost a lot of business and know they want the parties back. Koh Phangan is a great Isaland and the vast majority of the visitors from all over the world are here for fun and are well behaved.

Maybe it's just time for a change. I have been many times and for long periods on Ko Phangan, but not anymore since some years. Haad Rin once was a really lovely beach, but now it's completely overbuilt. Parties had been very atmospheric, but then it changed to booze to death. Other beaches have also changed a lot, but not as heavy as Haad Rin.

Interesting that the earlier report said that all parties on the beach were now banned. But the original FMP has continued to operate.

Haad Yao on Koh Phangan has been our low season destination for years but even we avoid it during FMP as room prices across the island skyrocket for a couple of days either side even in low season. Transport, especially trains are also fully booked around then by FMP tours out of BKK.

The FMP is a backpacker thing, they usually don't make reservations.

Not really true anymore... You probably still have the old drifting hippie image lodged in your head, but except for a few very determined Germans (und now, ve put on ze hippie clotheses and adopt ze devil-may-care attitude, ja?), that type of backpacker is long gone. This generation of "backpackers" prefer predictability and set itineraries and book rooms on their smartphones - before even leaving. Indeed, it is hard to avoid doing so, since researching on say, TripAdvisor, the links are right there in front of you, and you just tap them and then you know where you are staying on that day and how much it costs... most small guesthouses have built websites and have signed up for various online services for bookings ... they are all keeping up with the swift changes in the world... are you? ;-)

Who the hell needs all that stuff? Parties, DRUGS, Alcohol? I visited Pha Ngan 3o years ago the first time. It was beautiful, quiet and only a small village there. Nice people. Thailand at it's best.

Unfortunately I came back last year........for 2 hours. Then I ran away as fast as possible. Dirty, loud(!!!), offending and people changed. Not my style

most visitors on FMP just come for the Drug party;

If they dont got what they want,

they dont come back;

Nowadays they like the Koh Tow Village hadmans support ;

No Drugs, no fun,

and no money for the local mafia - with their head mans which owning most of the scenary !!

I was there the other day visiting a friend it was dead as is Koh Samui where I live ! I think that most of Thailand is suffering with the lack of tourists . I left Koh Phangan after living there for four years after getting sick of the following

1 day before full moon party 2 , day after full moon party , 3 cross dressing party, 4, black moon party, 5 half moon party, 6 shiva moon party , 7 swimming pool party and of course the Full moon party on top of this the amount of Karaoke bars full of squealing Thai's who think they can sing strutting there stuff into the early hours of the morning and as yet I have not even mentioned the girlie bars blasting out the music I for one would love to return to Phangan if they only allowed one party per month it is two Thai families who run the show and they are not happy that they are not making any money due to the ban !

The FMP is a backpacker thing, they usually don't make reservations.

you'd be surprised. during the full moons many book in advance, in fact, you would be stupid not to given the rate at which budget accommodation fills up

I really don't understand this article. The full moon party is still every month. Check out the dates: http://www.fullmoonparty-thailand.com/schedules.html

Banned were just all the other parties like half moon, shiva moon, black moon and so on.

So, why talking about full moon party all the time? Or have I missed something?

its a translation issue, and you are correct, the full moon and half moon festival are and have been business as usual, and some of the smaller parties have received resistance.

I was there the other day visiting a friend it was dead as is Koh Samui where I live ! I think that most of Thailand is suffering with the lack of tourists . I left Koh Phangan after living there for four years after getting sick of the following

1 day before full moon party 2 , day after full moon party , 3 cross dressing party, 4, black moon party, 5 half moon party, 6 shiva moon party , 7 swimming pool party and of course the Full moon party on top of this the amount of Karaoke bars full of squealing Thai's who think they can sing strutting there stuff into the early hours of the morning and as yet I have not even mentioned the girlie bars blasting out the music I for one would love to return to Phangan if they only allowed one party per month it is two Thai families who run the show and they are not happy that they are not making any money due to the ban !

i dont really get what your complaint is. all of these things are localized to baan thai, everything from Thongsala North and on the other side is generally quiet as can be.

As for it being dead, it is always slow from after songkran until August, and again from mid September until mid december.

The news story says about Full Moon Party:
»...without the party the tourism business on the island would never be the same.«
»... nearly all reservations of hotels and resorts were canceled after foreign tourists learned that the full moon party activities on the island were prohibited.«
Wonder what it once was like, when there were visitors...?
Very clear, that the Full Moon Party is almost abandoned now and Haad Rin has nearly no tourist, as my photos from recent banned boring parties this year shows:
Hardly any tourists anymore in the sois of Haad Rin
post-122720-0-29923800-1435315407_thumb.
Plenty of space on the beach after the party has been banned
post-122720-0-47086800-1435315458_thumb.
The Full Moon Party beach is almost empty now

post-122720-0-45162700-1435315477_thumb.

Who the hell needs all that stuff? Parties, DRUGS, Alcohol? I visited Pha Ngan 3o years ago the first time. It was beautiful, quiet and only a small village there. Nice people. Thailand at it's best.

Unfortunately I came back last year........for 2 hours. Then I ran away as fast as possible. Dirty, loud(!!!), offending and people changed. Not my style

Not your style (or mine) because your an old man, but if that's what the young'n's want let them have it, keeps them away from most of the places I frequent.

Maybe it's just time for a change. I have been many times and for long periods on Ko Phangan, but not anymore since some years. Haad Rin once was a really lovely beach, but now it's completely overbuilt. Parties had been very atmospheric, but then it changed to booze to death. Other beaches have also changed a lot, but not as heavy as Haad Rin.

I went to Haad Rin 16 yrs ago. Even then, a week before the FMP, there was place on the beach which pumped out techno music (with a beat triple the speed of Satisfaction). It's insane volume dominated the beach to such an extent, that for hundreds of meters in any direction, no on could have a conversation without shouting. At the north end of the beach, there was a dump spot at water's edge, with thousands of empty green Heineken bottles, many of them broken. I left to never return.

I went to Haad Rin 16 yrs ago. Even then, a week before the FMP, there was place on the beach which pumped out techno music (with a beat triple the speed of Satisfaction). It's insane volume dominated the beach to such an extent, that for hundreds of meters in any direction, no on could have a conversation without shouting. At the north end of the beach, there was a dump spot at water's edge, with thousands of empty green Heineken bottles, many of them broken. I left to never return.

Ok, I have to admit, first time I went to Haad Rin was about 30 years ago, and it really was like paradise..

Thai Approach To Tourism:

1) Pick up loaded gun;

2) Aim at foot;

3) Pull trigger;

4) Complain about the results as though you're not responsible for your own actions.

adjusted 'Thai Approach to Tourism' :

1. Load up gun with pretty pink and violet bullets

2. Plan to attract elite, high-spending tourists (even though they spend less, cummulately, than backpackers)

3. Move hand to holster - to pull pistol out

4. Holster is infested with 13 types of vermin and dirty plastic bags

5. Hand slips, pulls trigger while pistol still in holster

6. Shoot bullet through knee

7. Blame farang

8. Go back to step 1

Reminds my of Pattaya in the 1980s. My ship anchored off the beach, had a great few days of R&R, more like Hua Hin in that it was pretty laid back and easy-going, and I loved their muay thai ring where the had real muay thai. One of our engineers off the ship talked one of the muay thai fighters into a boxing match - no feet. 45 kilo Thai vs 80 kilo farang. It was a draw. Lol. If feet were involved it would have been a short match.

Went back in 2007 with the expectations of staying for a few days. I lasted one night, got back on the bus, and headed back to Bangkok. Way too much 'in you face' hustling and the obvious scams that had yet to be honed to perfection in the 80s. Thailand has progressed to the point that there is no longer beautiful, quiet, and unsullied. Guess we'll have to wait for Myanmar to open their borders to the more adventurous and we may get a few years of 'Today paradise' before they 'put up the parking lots'. Tip 'O the hat and RIP Joni Mitchell.

nor have you been missed my friend.

I did not know when I was out in Samui the FMP had been cancelled band as the last week of April everyone was selling boat rides to the Island.

Seems that it is just another one of those Thai things, it is after sunset and the police can not see what is going on, unless the get the Army or Navy guys in they wont stop it.

Archived