UK visitor visa decision made in 5 days, good or bad?

Ok so just applied for the first Uk visitor visa for my wife on Monday at Trendy and she has just received an email saying that a decision has already been made!!

This is so fast, is this good or bad??

It says the passport will be available to pick up the 2nd working day after receiving the email which I guess would be Monday but she paid for EMS delivery so when would we get it?

Totally blown away by this, hope its good news...

It's neither good or bad news as a rejection takes just as long as an acceptance. They are done in order so it means that they are up to date with their processing at the moment. 2 or 3 days I should think for the envelope to arrive. Good luck!

• Like 1

Ours took 6 days from submitting documents in Bkk

They emailed first to say it was ready to pick up (anytime after a further 2 working days)

but then they called to tell us it was done and we could collect it anytime. We went the next day

We asked for the verdict on the phone - they can't / won't say.

We picked up a sealed envelope containing the passport and all submitted documents and opened it outside the office

We left smiling :)

All I can advise is to give as much supporting documentation as you can. There is no 'standard list'.

I applied for 3 UK Visas and got the notification after 7 days to pick up in 2 days, so total time 9 days. However the UKGOV publish actual statistics of % applications processed with 10days 88% and 15 days 99%. So always apply 3 weeks before you want to travel in any case, unless you can fly at anytime once you have your visa.

we applied june 18th and still have not heard back yet.. she was told that it was going to be up to 3 weeks to get it back. as we live in jomtien she told them to mail it but she should still get an sms saying when VFS receives it back, and is then sending it to us.. btw, anyone else feel that the application is awefully long?? euro shengen visa was way easier, america was easier, canada was just as bad, and that was before VFS, china was super easy.

we applied june 18th and still have not heard back yet.. she was told that it was going to be up to 3 weeks to get it back. as we live in jomtien she told them to mail it but she should still get an sms saying when VFS receives it back, and is then sending it to us.. btw, anyone else feel that the application is awefully long?? euro shengen visa was way easier, america was easier, canada was just as bad, and that was before VFS, china was super easy.

You applied online, or handed in the hard copy and supporting documents on the 18th?

Assuming the latter, the application would have reached the UKVI on the 19th, they only work until lunchtime on a Friday so it probably wouldn't have even been opened until the Monday.

So it's been in the pile for four days or so, I certainly wouldn't be worrying yet.

• Like 1

Davejonesbkk ,

Hope you do not mind my post which is not exactly answering your enquiry .

Does any one know the percentage of success for applications for tourist visas from Thailand to the UK , especially if the visa app; is for your girlfriend . My

app; failed despite the fact that I considered it to be comprehensive and compliant . Reason for rejection were they had doubts that she would return to

Thailand despite her ownership of house and restaurant and bank accounts . I had dialogue with the independent inspectorate in the UK who after 3 letters told

me to apply again . I have also been told that even if a couple are married there is still not a guarantee of a visa .

My app; took 3 weeks before the dreaded rejection letter arrived , also we had no phone call from the embassy .

They publish the overall figures on their website but they don't differentiate between GF/spouse applications and any others but the success rate is high (about 85% I think). If you post your rejection letter with the personal bits deleted I am sure you will get a lot of advice and quite probably an explanation as to why it was rejected. Normally it is because people (and we are all human) assume that the ECO will know what the application means when in fact evidence has to be supplied to support every statement. So let's have a look at it and see what they said. And no you normally don't get a phone call unless it is something they think they can clear up easily. They are busy and they won't go hunting for information...they expect everything to be right in front of them. And last point they is no such thing as a guarantee of a visa..married or otherwise the same level of documentation has to be supplied.

In Thailand, bigyin, it's actually around 95% for visit applications.

Superal, as bigyin says the ECO will have given the reasons for reaching their decision in the refusal notice. If you post that we can advise further; but remove all names and other identifying information first.

If you do wish to do this, I suggest that you start a new topic; those best placed to advise you may very well not see it in this one.

• Like 1

Superal obvs. right now I dont know the outcome of our application just yet and also this is my first ever one but I really went out of my way to make sure I had as much evidence of our life and relationship as my wife has zero assets this is the sort version of what I included:

Marriage cert + translations

Her surname change doc after she took my name plus translations

My 1 year marriage visa in Thailand

My 1 year house contract here in Bkk plus a utility bill at the same address in wifes name

Letter of invitation from father that we would stay with him plus his council tax bills as evidence of ownership of property

6+ months bank statements for both my accounts in Thailand plus the same for my hsbc UK account, one of the Thai accounts is used for the marriage visa funds and combined they had plenty of money in

Finally a detailed letter from me as the sponsor explaining all briefly and about our relationship and life in Thailand and how we would be going and returning together.

Id say overall it was pretty damn comprehensive!

I think though that with us being married, my surname taken plus living in Thailand it might be looked at a lot differently though than just a bf/gf couple...

Bigyin 7x7 DaveJonesbkk ,

Thank You gents for you informative replies . My application was made nearly 2 years ago and I have been thinking of reapplying for a tourist visa for my g/f. At the time I was separated from my UK wife but now have divorce absolute .Could this have had any bearing ?

I returned to the UK some 3 weeks ago to be near my terminally ill sister . My papers remain in Thailand so I cannot display here but as I recall the VFS tried to reject some of the papers within the app; folder pack . I told the guy at the counter that I wanted the whole package to be presented . He seemed to take umbrage at this . When the rejection letter arrived it came with much of the duplicate paperwork missing . Am I correct to assume that the full document set is to be returned to the applicant in duplicate ?

As I stated before reason for refusal of visa 1/ Not convinced that she will return to Thailand , evidence provided were house book , bank statements including mortgage payments , pictures of restaurant and takings as far as I can recall 2/ they stated that there was conflict with her return date that was mentioned in the app, letter that the visit would be for initially 3 months but may be curtailed if her business was wanting.

I have also been told that there has been an easing recently on apps; for UK residents and their spouses . One question , a Brit customer of ours made a successful app; and was granted the tourist visa within 4 weeks . Both him and his new Thai wife were called by the UK authorities and had to answer a few short questions . He used an agency which I believe cost him in the region of £600 . Did any of you gents use an agent ? I have been told that this is the way to go .

Many thanks for your attention

First important point. Do not believe anyone who says that using an agent is 'the way to go'. Using a reputable agent like the forum sponsors Thai Visa can certainly help if you are in the UK and your GF is in Thailand and of course they don't charge if you don't get the visa. But when I applied successfully about 3 months ago for a settlement visa for my wife 2 of her friends applied using agents and were unsuccessful. I personally have never felt the need to use one and anyone with a reasonable grasp of paperwork and a working knowledge of the system gleaned from this forum should be able to do it.

Your divorce or otherwise should not have had any bearing on your application. The ECO is not monitoring your lifestyle but only whether you meet the criteria stipulated in the regulations and that you have provided evidence to back it up.

The VFS is a major issue. Again I have had no problem on the 2 occasions I have lodged an application but there are many threads on this forum where VFS staff have removed papers. If you do this again you should make sure your GF insists that the application is submitted to the Embassy intact. This is very important but of course many Thai ladies will back down in the face of perceived authority. VFS staff are only there to make sure you haven't left something out and to do the biometrics...don't let them do any more.

I certainly don't think there has been any easing of the interpretation of the regulations...if anything the opposite as there is a huge debate in the UK about immigration generally, most of it mis informed.

If the ECO has something they think can be cleared up quickly and easily they might call to clarify but equally they might not. They are not required to and as has been said on here many times they are entitled to expect everything to be provided so they can simply look at the application and supporting documents and make a decision. Everything else is the responsibility of the applicant.

This paints a fairly gloomy picture perhaps but as 7by7 said above 96% of applications are approved so most people manage to get it right.

Ok so just got another email from VFS as of 10.30am saying that the application is at VFS office and can be collected and if courier service was paid for (which we did) then it will be sent by that, so for the latter can we expect it today? The waiting is killing us!

Ok so just got another email from VFS as of 10.30am saying that the application is at VFS office and can be collected and if courier service was paid for (which we did) then it will be sent by that, so for the latter can we expect it today? The waiting is killing us!

It will obviously depend on where you live and how efficient they are with actioning delivery, I don't know if they use EMS or a real courier.

I think you live in Bangkok so I would think tomorrow at the earliest.

OK so we got it, I guess the comprehensive application worked.

So a few questions now:

As we have received the visa a lot quicker than I expected Im thinking we should go there a bit earlier than we stated in the application (I said approx Aug 7th) we will still only stay for 2 months though as specified in the application, is this ok to do?

Ive seen some threads that have mentioned people getting questioned by the IOs at UK when they arrive, am I ok to go in the non-EU passport queue with my wife just in case of this?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

thanks for all the help!

First of all well done.

Your visa is valid for travel any time after the valid start date, which will be on the visa vignette.

They wont hold you to the date you originally said, travel plans can and do change, in the unlikely event you're asked just say why you've brought the date forward.

It's certainly better for the Border Force Officer if you present yourselves together, as you say in case the officer has any queries. To be honest I go for the shortest queue, be it EU or other nationalities, never been an issue with either queue, I just say we're travelling together.

They do say that you should have the copies of the documents you supplied with the application available, we just have the details of our travel out of the UK available, asked for in about 20% of our entries and details of any hotels we are staying at, never been asked for yet.

Just enjoy the trip, hope it's not too warm.

When I went back to the UK with my Thai wife in 2009, we joined the lengthy Other queue at LHR, only to be informed by both the usherette when we eventually reached the front and the IO who processed us that we could have gone through the EEA section since we were travelling together!

And the only question the IO asked us was how long were we planning to stay in the UK.

I would also suggest going for the shortest queue! Sometimes the 'Other' route has more manned desks so runs quickly! Heathrow certainly has no objection to a non-EU spouse going via the EU gate if accompanied by an EU citizen.

• 2 months later...

We got a quick response in 5 days and it was a rejection. Was planning a 3 week visit for Christmas. Girlfriend currently in dark room crying.

Reasons were the dreaded dont believe she will return, lack of proof of relationship with sponsor (me - 4 years) and doubt over funding. Apparently me signing my bank statements was not proof she had permission to use them and her documented funds were considered inadequate ($300K Baht).

Does anyone have experience with resubmission success rate or is it just throwing good money after bad? Obviously now we will have to tick the box that says a previous application was rejected which I assume cant be good.

Can anyone suggest a lawyer that isnt just a form filler but can give real advice.

As a PS. Dont pay VFS global for any extra services. We paid for premium service given it was our first application and we thought some hand holding through the process might be useful. When we went in they had no idea that we had premium service, what they were supposed to do for the extra fee and we had to do everything ourselves anyway.

@turgid, you would be better starting your own thread rather than piggy backing onto an unrelated topic.

The only people I would recommend to assist would be Thai Visa Express, they're not lawyers and to be quite honest you don't need a lawyer, you need need experts in the field, which these guys are.

If you do start your own thread it would help if you posted the refusal notice, less any personal details.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Quite easy to get an UK Visa even though I am a Malaysian and my wife is Thai. Just need to follow the procedures as below;

From my side

- A copy of my passport

- Bank Statement and Credit Card Statement (Malaysia and Thailand)

- Letter from registered Church

- Pastor's Card

- Travel insurance

From my wife side

- A copy of her passports

- Bank Statement, Credit Card Statement and Hire Purchase

- A copy of Blue House Registration

- A copy of Marriage Certificate

- Return air ticket (Just booking cost 200 - 500 baht for travel agency)

- A copy of degree, letter of university and transcript (Use employment letter)

- Travel insurance

(Try to bring your wife/gf to travel nearby countries so that it is much more easy to get it)

You will never know whether your visa approve or not, when you collect the passport after 15 days. Then you open the passport, you will be surprise then.

Edited by macgver

Whilst it's essential that evidence of affordability and ties to the home county are supplied to support the application, some of the items listed below as what's needed as the procedure to follow are simply not correct, add nothing to the application and applicants are specifically advised against submitting/

Quite easy to get an UK Visa even though I am a Malaysian and my wife is Thai. Just need to follow the procedures as below;

From my side

- A copy of my passport

- Bank Statement and Credit Card Statement (Malaysia and Thailand) specifically advised not to include credit card details

- Letter from registered Church Not needed, adds nothing to application.

- Pastor's Card Not needed, adds nothing to application.

- Travel insurance Not needed, specifically advised not to include.

From my wife side

- A copy of her passports

- Bank Statement, Credit Card Statement and Hire Purchase specifically advised not to include credit card details

- A copy of Blue House Registration

- A copy of Marriage Certificate

- Return air ticket (Just booking cost 200 - 500 baht for travel agency) Not needed, specifically advised not to include.

- A copy of degree, letter of university and transcript (Use employment letter)

- Travel insurance Not needed, specifically advised not to include.

Plus ECO's know which countries are easy for Thais to travel to therefore 'local travel' is unlikely to add much to an application. Don't waste money on unnecessary travel!

Finally most visit visa applications are taking far less time than 15 days or were last time I looked. Five days is not indicative of the outcome either way!

Anyone know the current, average turnaround time for a UK visit visa? This will be Mrs NL's third one and traveling together so don't see any extraordinary delays unless something in the provenance has changed since her last one (2 year visa) was granted without issues about 3 years ago.