New Passport / Visa in old Passport

I recently returned from the UK, having renewed my passport, My old passport containing the Valid Visa and Multi Entry permit.

I was well aware of the procedure to go through at immigration and all went smoothly, however the immigration officer kindly imparted to me information I was not aware of.

The immigration officer had made a note against my entry stamp, indicating the presence of my visa/multi entry permit in my old passport.

He told me to ensure on exit I produced my old passport along with the new passport, and this even if I had had the old visa transferred to the new passport, or renewed the visa/multi entry permit prior to my next exit (as will be the case for me)

I wasn't aware of this and just pass this on in case others in the same situation didn't know this.

It seems you are on an extension of stay you obtained at immigration. If you had a valid visa you would not need the re-entry permit.

You need to go to your local immigration office to have your stamps transferred to your new passport. They will do a annotation of the visa that allowed the entry you have been extending and your most recent extension of stay stamp. They will also transfer your re-entry permit if it is still valid.

Dependent upon the immigration office you must use you may need a letter from the UK embassy asking immigration to transfer your stamps.

On your next visit to immigration have your visa transferred from your old passport to your new one. Immigration will then make any notations on your new passport related to stamps/extensions of stay.

There is an immigration form needed to be completed/submitted with your request for the visa transfer.

If you have your visa transferred when applying for your annual extension of stay (as I recently did) you FIRST must complete the transfer of the visa THEN your extension of stay is processed. In CM these are different hues not handled by the same immigration officer.

It seems you are on an extension of stay you obtained at immigration. If you had a valid visa you would not need the re-entry permit.

You need to go to your local immigration office to have your stamps transferred to your new passport. They will do a annotation of the visa that allowed the entry you have been extending and your most recent extension of stay stamp. They will also transfer your re-entry permit if it is still valid.

Dependent upon the immigration office you must use you may need a letter from the UK embassy asking immigration to transfer your stamps.

If you get your new passport back in the UK, as opposed to here, then your entry stamp at the airport negates the need for the letter from the embassy.

• Like 1

If you get your new passport back in the UK, as opposed to here, then your entry stamp at the airport negates the need for the letter from the embassy.

Perhaps at some immigration offices but not all. There have been posts of people needing the letter even thought they entered the country with a new passport.

I got a new passport in the UK a few months ago ,when I came home I showed my 2 passports , a few days later popped into Pattaya immigration ,girl filled in the form I handed over both passports ,next day picked them up,all done no fuss no bother no letters no charge

Joe,

• Does this apply to new American passports as well? ( the letter /form from the embassy )
  • I am down to a few pages and will need a new one soon.

Thanks

AFAIK the Embassy letter requirement applies to all nationalities, but I gather that the American Embassy issues this letter as a matter of course with replacement passports in any event. It's only us Brits who are subject to a convoluted process in obtaining the necessary letter since our renewal applications now have to be submitted to With-It Tower (a.k.a. the Trendy Building) instead of to the Embassy as a result of the crazy procedures which HMPO inflicted on us in their infinite wisdom 15 months ago!crazy.gif

Edited by OJAS

Perhaps at some immigration offices but not all. There have been posts of people needing the letter even thought they entered the country with a new passport.

Apologies, this was at Central Lad Prao when CW was closed.

Joe,

• Does this apply to new American passports as well? ( the letter /form from the embassy )
  • I am down to a few pages and will need a new one soon.

Thanks

The embassy will give you the letter when you pickup your new passport.

You can also have pages added to your passport for a fee of $82 until January of next year.

Just click the links on this page for info on passport or pages. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

You will need to make an appointment to do either one.