Do Thais really have to learn English in school?

in the west students study french, spanish, german etc and I've never found them to be able to speak it after graduation. just another pathetic thai bash I suppose.

who studies french???

I had Dutch, French, English and German in high school, still read books in each and every language, the writers language.

The Dutch school system must have fantastic language programs because every Dutch person I've met is a polyglot.

The Thais should hire some Dutch people to help reform English training here.

How many languages do they speak in the Netherlands and close by? How many Thais speak at least 3 languages? Thai, Lao, 3 or 4 dialects like Northern Thai and so on? Aren't the large majority of Thais polyglot? My wife speaks, Thai, Lao, Khmer, English and 3 local languages.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many teachers employed for price and not qualifications. There is your problem.

That shows complete ignorance of the problems facing Thai English language education.

Come into one of my high school classes with 55 students and rethink the problem.

How many languages do they speak in the Netherlands and close by? How many Thais speak at least 3 languages? Thai, Lao, 3 or 4 dialects like Northern Thai and so on? Aren't the large majority of Thais polyglot? My wife speaks, Thai, Lao, Khmer, English and 3 local languages.

I agree with you, but in the Netherlands, Belgium, a lot of Europe and Thailand, the students have the opportunity to speak and practice those languages daily. Thais learn dialects of Thai language unconsciously, immersed in the language. Your wife's ability for languages has a lot to do with her desire to learn.

Unfortunately Thai students don't have the opportunity to practice daily their English. It must be hard for them.

Of course it's the education system employing some of

The so called English Teachers; they have some sort

of degree, in something, and feel they are capable of

teaching English. Don't speak Thai and very poor

Grasp of the English language ...And you expect the

students to learn....so sad.

That shows complete ignorance of the problems facing Thai English language education.

Come into one of my high school classes with 55 students and rethink the problem.

Never been into a school, have you?

Totally depends on the school, but yes they are suppose to learn some english. My daughter goes to an international school in Phuket and all students even those with 2 Thai parents, speak very good english. I don't rate the government Thai schools, I have seen the difference in students who have studied in both Government and Private/International and they learn more and develop so much quicker in an private or international schools. Back home the difference in education between the schools isn't that great but it certainly is in Thailand.

Duch, Scandinavian , German speak so many languages because their own language is spoken only in their own coutry l

Why so few English people speak other languages than English ? easy to answer : they know that their language is the most spoken and studied in the world

Thai people speak bad English because their education system is bad , but as said above they are very gifted for foreign languages

French is the sixth language in the world ( 220 million people ) , and for the number of countries where it is the official language, it is the second language ( 29 countries , after English ) in the world : not too bad for a language that nobody studies smile.png

My Mrs was never interest to learn English when in school. She has since gone to English language school. Yasothon, Ubon and here in USA.

For me the most fun of it was USA and the teachers loved her. There was a program they used on the Internet, I think it was called instant chocolate.

Of course she doesn't understand enough of USA culture (or lack of) to understand my jokes. I figured a way around that, I don't tell her any and she is always surprised how I'm always making others laugh. While we were in Bahamas, I was talking with some Georgia state Chief of Police. His Mrs was talking with mine. Whatever his Mrs said, I never saw my wife laugh so much. No, I didn't ask. I just enjoyed it. I just say yes dear and how much this time.

I always said, I want to know what love is? My Thai bride taught me. It is she.

Yes, at my wife's school, it is mandatory, as is learning the Thai language. In so far as some Thai professionals who speak reasonable English, doctors, lawyers, etc., I find that, on many occasions, there are certain aspects that require further explanation in order that they comprehend what is being discussed.

Despite what some articulate in respect to learning grammar, I believe it should be but only after one has developed reasonable fluency skills, then an attempt should be made to develop a solid foundation in grammar, as it will not only help one create sentences correctly but will also make it easier to improve one's communication skills in both spoken and written English.

To see how teaching has failed in the western world, just look at the communication, comprehension and spelling skills of the past two generations of Australians. Now, not in all cases but most, absolutely pathetic. Some of the posters on here could take lessons also, and yes, I take into consideration deliberate acts of misspelling, typographical errors and that English, for some, is not their first language.

The only Thai I know who speak English well, apart from the mrs is an 8 year old at a private School in Chiang Rai. Even kids at private Schools in Bkk don't seem to get further than hello, how are you what is your name, I'm fine thank how are you. But they can read much better, there is far too much emphasis on useless grammar that puts them off and is both boring and not necessary.

Your last sentence is so true, start talking about transitive verbs, abstract nouns and verb tenses etc, and they fall asleep.

This country leaders promise a lot like most things to be part of the International community but rarely do enough to make sure it happens. Until they hire enough teachers to tell the teachers and students they will continue to fall behind. But I sometimes think this is what the leaders want. As long as the people remain in the dark they will never be able to rise against those who keep them down.

with entrance exam to university giving all students an English test(speaking, listening, reading, writing and grammar) you would think they would take it serious enough.

there is talk, that SG as the Edu hub, that All Universities in the ASEAN community, should teach in English... Chinese maybe an option later in future... but both are not very successful in schools these days... and nobody cares to take action or responsibility to force students to learn or present pass or fail grades to them...

It would be if 'da PM' would take an article out for this...and MOE pull their ostrich heads out of the sand to take action... then put a lot of responsibility on the Gov't teachers(not the contractors) but actual Gov't people as they all seem to sit in their cushy seats and not worry about anything except gossiping about you know who doing what you know what about.

Of course it's the education system employing some of

The so called English Teachers; they have some sort

of degree, in something, and feel they are capable of

teaching English. Don't speak Thai and very poor

Grasp of the English language ...And you expect the

students to learn....so sad.

I guess it's okay to criticize other peoples English, people you don't know, all the while butchering it themselves.

That's so funny.

God there is some BS posted on here at times !!

How many of you keyboard warriors can actually speak more than one language ? - but you expect Thai's to learn a second language (english) just so it makes it easier for you to communicate.

Why do Thai's need to learn english (or any second language) unless they want to work in hospitality, work for an international company or work overseas ?

The majority of Thai's will have a fulfilling life and some may even be successful without having to speak a single english word in their careers.

My wife has a 10 year old son and when I realised he was learning nothing at school I put aside 1 hr every day to teach him english - that is a selfish thing as I want to be able to communicate better with him but I do not blame the education system.

Phillipines has probably the best english teaching in all of Asia and their people embrace the language - why ? The government has made an industry out of supplying millions of "pinoy" all over the world in numerous industries with these pinoy all sending their money back to the Phillipines.

Did any of you stop to think that maybe the majority of Thai's are quite happy speaking Thai and have no interest in learning English !!

Of course Thais need to learn English in school. English is the universal language and it's so important to know it. Unfortunately, the teaching of English in Thailand is very bad. I know a Thai who just retired from a career teaching English. When we get together--two Thais who speak English and two foreigners who do not know Thai, this former English teacher only likes to talk in Thai to his fellow Thai and hardly says a word in English the whole evening--obviously he does not like English and this was an English teacher! And, probably the norm for teachers. I can remember years ago living in Japan and young Japanese would come up to me and my siblings and ask if they could practice their English with us. There doesn't seem to be that interest in learning here but there should be. All Thais working in positions that bring them in contact with foreigners need to have basic English--the foreigner will likely know some English and they can communicate. Please don't write in and say that tourists should learn some Thai before they visit. It needs to be the other way around--Thais need to learn some English before tourists visit. I'm not expecting to carry on a deep conversation but I am expecting that when I go in a restaurant that caters to foreigners the wait staff should know the English words 'fork, 'knife', 'spoon', 'ice', 'salt', 'water', 'pepper', etc. Almost always if I ask for a fork I'm met with a blank stare. Note, I am in Pattaya not the hinterlands. And, it's not just the older Thais that have poor or no English--most wait staff, sales clerks, etc. are young. Education in Thailand needs a huge overhaul starting with English instruction.

How many of you keyboard warriors can actually speak more than one language ? - but you expect Thai's to learn a second language (english) just so it makes it easier for you to communicate.

Why do Thai's need to learn english (or any second language) unless they want to work in hospitality, work for an international company or work overseas ?

The majority of Thai's will have a fulfilling life and some may even be successful without having to speak a single english word in their careers.

My wife has a 10 year old son and when I realised he was learning nothing at school I put aside 1 hr every day to teach him english - that is a selfish thing as I want to be able to communicate better with him but I do not blame the education system.

Phillipines has probably the best english teaching in all of Asia and their people embrace the language - why ? The government has made an industry out of supplying millions of "pinoy" all over the world in numerous industries with these pinoy all sending their money back to the Phillipines.

Did any of you stop to think that maybe the majority of Thai's are quite happy speaking Thai and have no interest in learning English !!

There's also a case to say Thailand will get left behind in terms of broad development compared to it's neighbors in terms of broad language skills.

Thailand of course has its own internal economy running on Thai. But there must be many lost business opportunities for cross boarder / international business for small, medium and large Thai businesses because people can't speak the international business language.

By the way, nobody is suggesting that the Thai language should be dropped.

You mention the Philippines and how the pinoy people can readily speak English, so to some extent you shoot your own argument in the foot.

Most of the comments are about the methodology to teach English, and the basic methodology used in Thailand just doesn't work. Well go back to the Philippines comment, decades ago the Philippines set up a longer-term project / methodology which starts at a very young age and by about Primary three 99% of pinoy kids speak advanced English and with no hesitation.

Of course English is the international language that every body should know, but if you pay attention, countries where English is widely spoken ( India, Malaysia, Philipines ) where colonies before, not Thailand ( I don't know if it is a reason ) l

l am pleased, not being a native English speaker, to be able to speak with people from any other nations ( but I must confess I don't like to speak English with Thai people, I love so much their language )

In Bangsen, I have seen an English man, very, very upset : he told me that he was more than furious because the tuk tuk driver who brought him here did'nt speak English ; ok , basic words in English would be necessary for a country which has so many tourists, but as said above, how many English native people speak an other language ? as for me , I know ( not fluent ) 3 language and I am studying a fourth one ( spanish ) for pleasure : good for my old brain, believe me smile.png

I attended a wedding in Buriram and the father of the bride sat me next to the local English teacher, who looked horrified. He spoke not a word of English.

I felt for him and carried on an animated conversation with me smiling a nodding my head to save his face. He caught on and started nodding back at me. I left with a new friend.

But this probably explains why my 15 year old step son can barely speak a word of English. When he struggles out a 'goodbye' he beams with triumph. If we have to talk when his mother is not about we do it in Thai which, if you have heard me speak Thai, really goes to show how little English he knows.

He is pretty fluent with 'I want 100 baht'.

I learnt, as second languages, French and Latin, which were a big help. I wish now it has been Indonesian, Thai, Chinese or whatever would be useful in my region.

The only time I used French in my younger days was when I went to New Caledonia. I still had enough to get by but now if I'm speaking with a Frenchman I just shout at him in English and he understands. I wouldn't dare try French even if I was fairly fluent.

100 baht! Oh yea!

Not so, many of the Thais from around my village have worked overseas, from Lybia to South Korea. Everyone in the village realises that if you work overseas then you have a much better chance to earn good money. Many of the better houses in the village were built on Thais sending money back home. So many young Thais with ambition want a spell working overseas and teaching a reasonable level of English would be of great help for them.

I find many young Thais working in shops try to talk to farangs in English, although they are very shy, but I always make a point of complementing them on their English when they try, which usually brings a big smile on their part.

So maybe guys we could all play a small part in helping these kids !

smotherb said, “Your analogy is wrong. When comparing a football team and a school, the players are synonymous with the students, not the teachers. However, the teachers are synonymous with the coaches, and you should think about firing the coaches.

lostoday said, “Not so. Coaches are usually ex players or sometimes even current players. Administrators, teachers and students. Coaches, players and spectators. Or in the army. Generals, NCO's and soldiers. If the battle goes bad you don't change all the soldiers you simply get another general.

Are you so lost every day? Did you ever stop to think that teachers are usually ex-students or sometimes even current students? That coaches, players and spectators is wrong, it should be management, coaches, players. Spectators, are not part of the team heirarchy and should not be fired because the team does badly. In this case, spectators may be synonymous with the general public. Or, that there are a few officers between generals and NCOs? If a battle goes badly, you frequently have to get new soldiers.

However, those are not the issue. An analogy compares the relationships between two or more sets of things. In this case, team : players :: school : students, or team : coaches :: school : teachers, or team : management :: school : administrators.

I don't have to insult you to make a point. You have one boss and thousands of middle management. It is not realistic when making a change to fire the thousands of middle management. BTW you left off the General and Soldiers analogy. biggrin.png

Clearly any rational person would opt to change the boss, PM or leader rather than the all the workers/bureaucracy. I am proposing a reasonable change that could reasonably be accomplished that would drastically change the education standards while you on the other hand would destroy the education system and the economy of Thailand by firing all the teachers.

By lost, I was referring to your incorrect analogy. I repeat, "When comparing a football team and a school, the players are synonymous with the students, not the teachers. However, the teachers are synonymous with the coaches, and you should think about firing the coaches.

I don't think it is important that Thais learn to speak English. Most of them will not have any use for it in their working lives, and so a basic exposure to English at school is sufficient for them. I don't see the Japanese economy suffering because of a lack of English fluency.

Those working in tourism, trade, or other international professions will obviously need to develop good language skills but that's not a majority.

Until they stop dubbing every single movie and program in Thailand,

I`m afraid there will be no improvement. You see the same in Europe.

In the countries that dub everything, the English skills are suffering.

Subtitling for the world!

Cheers :)

no matter how bad the education is, the average Thais still speaks better English than many first world Asian countries...

You don't get about (to neighboring countries of Thailand) much!

Why is it so that Thailand in near the bottom ranking of the Asean countries for English speaking/communication?

And what are these "first world Asian countries you refer to?

no matter how bad the education is, the average Thais still speaks better English than many first world Asian countries...

Why is it so that Thailand in near the bottom ranking of the Asean countries for English speaking/communication?

I know English skills of Myanmar and Vietnam folks who have basic education are a bit better than Thais.

"First world Asian countries" such as Japan, Taiwan, South Korea ...not as many people can speak English in the big cities compare to Thailand.

I know English skills of Myanmar and Vietnam folks who have basic education are a bit better than Thais.

"First world Asian countries" such as Japan, Taiwan, South Korea ...not as many people can speak English in the big cities compare to Thailand.

Over the past ten years I have visited Japan and Korea (plus Singapore) and found that communicating was way easier than in Thailand both in the large cities and the smaller towns.

You made reference to Myanmar & Vietnam but what about the English skills in Malaysia, Cambodia and Lao?

From my many travels to these countries I have also found their English skills far superior to Thailand.

Amazing Thailand?.

I'm glad you agree, KVJ, that Thais working in tourism, trade, or international professions need to speak English. The problem is that most children don't know what they will be doing when they grow up or whether it will require English so they need to learn English starting at the elementary level when it is easiest to learn a language. It's too late to learn English when they get a job working at a restaurant, bank, shop, hotel, etc. in a tourist area. In reply to another poster, it is my experience that Thailand is down near the bottom regarding English in comparison to other Asian countries.

Archived