The Reading Fc Thread

ThaiPauly

6th in the table, a solid performance against Sheffield today, even Fergie was watching us, as we are his opponants next week. Fastest Premiership goal of the season today

We CAN be a force to be reckoned with I feel, but I would still be happy with 17th spot.

We HAD to win today as our next games are against Man United, West Ham , Chelsea, Arsenal and Pompey :o

Not many points coming our way over the next 4 weeks....but U never know.

Any other Royals fans...PLEASE add your comments here, same goes for any Reading admirers, of which I know there are many.

Come on UR'ssssssssssssss :D

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Penalty king eyes United debut

By Chris Stanton - Created on 20 Sep 2006

Reading's Andre Bikey hopes to follow up his penalty shoot-out success against Darlington, with a first Premiership start against Manchester United this weekend.

The 21-year-old Cameroon international scored the decisive spot-kick to hand The Royals passage through to the Carling Cup third round after Darlington had forced a 3-3 draw at The Madejski Stadium.

Though he concedes a start against The Red Devils is unlikely, the summer signing is hoping to make manager Steve Coppell's matchday 16 to face boyhood heroes United.

"The team is playing well and there is no need to change but the manager knows I have the capacity to play in The Premiership. I am ready to play but if I have to wait then I will," said Bikey.

"I can't say whether I will play against Manchester United but I know I will get my opportunity at some point.

"When I was a boy I supported Manchester United because they won the Champions League in 1999. They played very well and beat Bayern Munich.

"I knew about them before that but after that game everything changed for me. I remember the game so well. Manchester were losing until the end but scored two goals right at the end."

Despite Reading's fine start to their maiden top flight campaign - the club have claimed three wins from their first five matches - Coppell believes the lapses evident against Darlington prove much of his squad are still acclimatising to life at Reading.

"We have still got fellows who are living out of a hotel and it takes time for everybody to settle in and play our way. It is asking a lot for them to slot in so quickly," said Coppell

"We obviously have an awful lot of work to do with some of the players just to show them our ways."

redrus

Thanks for that Red, I had not seen it.

I was pleased to have got away with the win on penalties, after all it was a completeley different line up that will face the mighty eds on Saturday, all 11 players are not first choice starters.

But to be honest we could not give a toss about the "Mickey Mouse" Cup as Sir Alex once famously called it. Survival is our ONLY aim this year.

I would hazzard that at this stage being seven points better off than Watford and Sheffield United we don't have to worry about who will take 2 of the relegation spots, but who will take the third, thats the issue.

Having said that our next four games are United (H) West Ham (A) Chelsea (H) Portsmouth (A)...I really cant seeing us getting more than 4 points from 12, and so early on in the season ...everything can change overnight.

As long as we beat and keep beating the other two promoted sides and scrape results against the teams who regularly are not in the top six I think we have an excellent chance of avoiding the drop.

Crikey at the moment we are 7th!

As a blades fan I have to begruggingly say that Reading more than deserved their 3 points last Saturday. First half they were absolutely outstanding. Doyle was very sharp and the Korean guy Soeul's goal was a great left footed strike.

Having said that the Blades look lacking in quaility at the moment. We'll fight all the way as we showed in the second half but it's going to be a long season at the Lane.

Good luck to the Royals against Man U and here's hoping your push for Europe continues.

As a blades fan I have to begruggingly say that Reading more than deserved their 3 points last Saturday. First half they were absolutely outstanding. Doyle was very sharp and the Korean guy Soeul's goal was a great left footed strike.

Having said that the Blades look lacking in quaility at the moment. We'll fight all the way as we showed in the second half but it's going to be a long season at the Lane.

Good luck to the Royals against Man U and here's hoping your push for Europe continues.

Thank you for that Steve, I am well aware that you had a lot of injuries in that game, things may well have been different if......the injured ones were fit. we only have one out injured at the moment.

Thanks for the good wishes on saturday...we have not been beaten at home since the opening day of LAST season,,, then United will roll into town.

Umm there will be no push for Europe....I would take 16th or 17th this year till we find a money man

we have only played your good selves, Boro, Wigan, Man City and Villa so far..so there are challenging times ahead

TP

I wanted to say something good about Reading TP,

but I have been here an hour now and havn't thought of a thing.

So, Good Luck anyway.

Moss

Oh yeah, just thought of something, London Irish play at the Majesky, knew I would think of something.

:D:D:D:D

Moss....in a million years I would NEVER expect an OXFORD fan to say something good about Reading :D

As an honouray member of the "Oxford United"forum, I am always going to take the p!ss

We are what we are, supporters of rival teams..the only thing we have in common is

WE BOTH HATE SWINDON :o

We are what we are, supporters of rival teams...

Not really "rivals" anymore though..... :o

Maybee not right now but it would be ungratious of me to say that.

It was only a few years ago we were playing each other, I have seen may local Darby's between us.

I have the utmost respect for their manager, and footballs a funny old game, disrespect now ...could come back to haunt me in 5 years or so :D

I am thrilled to bits with out result against United, I think they thhrew EVERYTHING including the kitchen sink at us and we survived by the skin of our teeth. :o

United are a great side, what a gukf between the Premiership and the Championship, but after this result we have proved that we can withstand enourmous pressure to grind out the results we need to stay in this fantastic division.

Though it does my heart absolutley no good, , it was not "edge of the seat stuff"

I was on the floor :D

Good show United, now we know exactly what we are up against, the team exuded quality and Ronaldo was World Class,(the little Winker)

Same points as Liverpool and just above Arsenal.

Bring on Chelsea next at the Mad Stad..we will be up for that one too.

was dissapointed with the penalty was not a penalty.

Some days you get 'em Nev and some you don't. Idid not read anything about Fergie complaining about it though, Silly mistake by Neville. We only had one real chance in the game, and a better striker than Doyle ,as good as he is , should have scored that one.

Agree with you about Ronaldo, he was absolutley awesome, :o

Thanks guys...I'm sure your teams are just having "Blips"

I will still settle for 17th..we now only need 9 points to avoid the WORST ever Premiership season ..but Sheff utd on 2 watford and Charlton on 3 gives us a nice cushion even at this early stage

Another FANTASTIC result today. :D

Like the game against Man City, we had to grind out another win, edge of the seat stuff...all our games have been won by the odd goal, but we are getting results beyond our wildest expectations.

West Ham were poor, our defence was once again magnificent.

Europe is not beyond us I feel...Why not? :o

How much is Sonko Worth now?

How much is Seol worth now?

I just hpe we can hang onto them :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well tomorrow evening all you lucky people will get the chance to see Reading in action at home to Chelsea.

Reading are undefeated at home since August 2005.

Are Chelsea going to spoil that magnificent record.?

What are your predictions?

I think we may just hold them, but it will be close.... ..but they have been beaten before and the Barcelona match is coming up in mid week and I am sure Jose will have one eye on that game when making his team selection.

Not that it really matters, he can replace one International superstar with another. I think Ballack is suspended, but the way he has been playing I don't think that will be too greater loss to them.

We may just cause an upset tomorrow :D

I really hope we do...if so we could go joint Top :D:o

Half time Reading-Chelsea.

Reading are a pleasure to watch and so unlucky to be behind at half time.

For some reason I feel sick when Terry and Lampard start to cry and bawl when they cant have their own way....similar to Steven Gerrad(cant stand up inside the box).

Come on Reading.........We know you can do it!!!!!

Cheers

Sheff u.

Unlucky Pauly mate.... :o

Chelsea battled to a 1-0 win over Reading at the Madejski Stadium to move level on points with Manchester United.

An unlucky own goal from Ivar Ingimarsson gave Chelsea the spoils, but the game was marred by a double injury blow with Petr Cech and his replacement Carlo Cudicini being stretchered off with serious head injuries.

Both sides finished the game with ten men with John Obi Mikel seeing red for Chelsea and Andre Bikey dismissed for Reading.

Chelsea suffered a major blow within the opening minute when Cech was caught in the head with a clash with Reading's Stephen Hunt.

After several minutes of treatment Cech was stretchered off with suspected concussion with Cudicini replacing the Czech international between the posts.

Reading created the first opening of the contest on 11 minutes when Hunt swung in a dangerous corner for Ivar Ingimarsson who failed to get his header on target.

Chelsea had their first shot in anger two minutes later with Andrei Shevchenko seeing his long-range shot comfortably saved by Marcus Hahnemann

Reading had a lucky escape on 17 minutes when Ingimarsson headed Paulo Ferreira's cross onto his own crossbar.

A minute later Arjen Robben created a good chance for himself by skinning Graeme Murty down the left only to flash his shot across the face of goal.

Chelsea suffered another injury scare soon after when Ferreira fell heavily in an aerial challenge and the Portuguese ace required lengthy treatment before returning to the action.

Reading were inches away from breaking the deadlock on 33 minutes when Hunt somehow found his way past three Chelsea defenders before squaring the ball for Kevin Doyle who saw his left-footed shot strike the inside of the post.

The home side suffered a blow nine minutes before the break when Murty was forced off with a recurrence of his hamstring injury and Bikey was brought into the action early.

Hahnemann gifted Chelsea a chance three minutes before half time when he threw the ball straight to Robben and he played in Didier Drogba who fired in a shot which was kept out at the near post by Hahnemann.

Chelsea broke the deadlock right on the stroke of half time with a real fortuitous strike.

Lampard won a free kick right on the edge of the box and his shot took a wicked deflection off the unfortunate Ingimarsson before going into the net.

Reading came out in determined fashion after the restart with James Harper and Steve Sidwell both seeing long-range shots flying off target.

After a quiet start to the second half the game burst into life just past the hour mark when Obi Mikel was sent off for a second bookable offence after hauling back Sonko.

The game threatened to boil over on 64 minutes when players from both sides became involved in a scuffle after a late tackle by Sidwell, but referee Mike Riley decided to take no action against either side.

Reading went close to scoring on 72 minutes when Hunt teed Sidwell up on the edge of the box and the midfielder drilled his shot just wide of the far post.

Chelsea had a rare foray into the Reading half on 81 minutes with Robben firing straight at Hahnemann.

A minute later Reading were reduced to ten men when Bikey was sent off for a second bookable offence after tugging back Drogba on the edge of the box.

From the resulting free kick Lampard drove in his shot straight down the throat of Hahnemann.

The home side pushed forward in the dying stages and they almost grabbed an equaliser in stoppage time when Nicky Shorey saw his header kicked off the line by Drogba after Cudicini had been clattered by Sonko from the initial corner.

Cudicini looked in real discomfort following the clash and the Italian became the second Chelsea goalkeeper to be stretchered off with Terry taking the gloves to take over in goal for the closing stages of the game.

However, despite the numerical disadvantage Chelsea held on to take all three points and keep pace with Manchester United at the top of the table.

redrus

Cheers Lads,

I don't feel dissappointed.

We gave it our best shot, and thereare a lot of positives to be taken from this game.

We have proved we can mix it up with the best, ut we are not going to beat may of the top teams thats a given.

In the commentary they said that the Reading side had been assembled fr aout 4m...Chelsea's 250 m ..we can't yet compete with that.

I will still happily take 17th Spot at the end of the season.

TP

dont worry mate many better team than you will get beat by flukey deflected goals,sometimes they go in other times they go wide.

i think you will stay up this year. nev

Edited by nev

I can just imagine why John Terry went in goal. I can imagine him saying " Now try it you bastards"

Not enough time left Lamps... just not enough time :o

PS sorry about your keepers, but I am sure that Roman can pop out and buy a couple of new ones next week :D

I can just imagine why John Terry went in goal. I can imagine him saying " Now try it you bastards"

Not enough time left Lamps... just not enough time :D

PS sorry about your keepers, but I am sure that Roman can pop out and buy a couple of new ones next week :D

:D:D:o:D:D:D