Thai ice cream company apologizes for celebrating US gay marriage with 'offensive' joke

webfact

Sounds like another classic marketing blunder that us usually made by foreigners entering a new market. Walls is an Anglo-Dutch conglomerate. I know it was cited as a Thai company, but often even native marketing execs are very current about music, movies, and the best-seller of the company, but lack any historical frame altogether.

Previous examples include the Chevy Nova which kept its name when entering the Spanish market. Nova means "won't go". KFC insisted that they literally translate their "finger-licking good" slogan when introduced to the Chinese market. In China, licking your fingers is considered rude, and the translation implied "Tastes so good you'll eat your hand." Coke in the Japanese market failed the best. They insisted on a literal Japanese translation of "Coke adds life". In Japanese, Zen-oriented culture, you cannot add life to the living. The bizarre implication was "Coke -- it will bring back your dead relatives."

No kidding. It never gets weird enough for me.

If it's "demeaning" to gays ... that means anal sex is something bad. If it's bad ... what right do gays have to complain about it?

If it's not bad ... why are they complaining?

Some people just like to complain the the sake of it I guess.

blink.png

Well in Thailand there isn't much that doesn't has a slang sexual meaning.....

Ask your wife what the English words "he" & "yet " mean in Thai.

Then put them together : yet he....and maybe she'll let you....

Australia has an ice cream called the GayTime (and the Golden Gay Time). Straight people can eat them as well.

The GayTime ice cream has been available for years and as school kids it was always a dare to ask for a Gaytime at the local shop. Just a childish prank but acted out all over Australia by every generation of school kids.

If it's "demeaning" to gays ... that means anal sex is something bad. If it's bad ... what right do gays have to complain about it?

If it's not bad ... why are they complaining?

Some people just like to complain the the sake of it I guess.

blink.png

You are not very bright, are you?

The "black beans" term is, what is demeaning!

Not the anal sex- part!

DAMMIT! I love black beans and rice! wink.png

Well I feel sorry for you as,now every time you eat it you will think of back passages,I never did like them ,thank god.

Black beans are flexible.

Like in Cuban black bean soup or pungent and fermented Chinese style.

What's not to like?

Archived