How do you get a teaching job in Thailand without a degree?

Ive heard about the TESL certification program, and that theres such a high demand for teachers that a degree isnt even necessarily needed to land a job teaching, and that it happens all the time.

So my question then is how exactly do you go about this? Im very interested in moving to Thailand and teaching English but only have the equivalent of an AA degree.

Do you just get certifiied and then show up at schools in Thailand and apply in person?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So my question then is how exactly do you go about this? Im very interested in moving to Thailand and teaching English but only have the equivalent of an AA degree.

You'll need a BA in any field to be able to apply for a provisional teacher's license and a Non-B visa. Of course will you find jobs, mostly for agencies who hire everybody who's white and can speak English, but that wouldn't be helpful when planning to "move to Thailand."

You won't have the chance to get a decent paid job, as you neither have teaching experience, nor do you seem to be qualified enough.

Teaching and living here legally, with the always changing laws and regulations can easily turn into a nightmare.

Too many rip of agencies who promise everything, but finally do nothing. Thai head teachers/HRM at schools who seem to think it's okay that you can work on a tourist visa and you'll find plenty of people telling you how easy it is to land a teaching position in Thailand.

But being here on a holiday and trying to make a living as a teacher is completely different. Please see older posts here on this, or on another forum and you'll see what I'm talking about.

It was nice 15 years ago and everything was dirt cheap. But times are changing and Thailand isn't the Land of Smiles anymore.When i started in 2005, there weren't too many foreigners in the lower northeast and Thais treated foreigners quite well.

That seems to have changed a lot. The quality of living as well. 25 K/month 15 year ago was a lot more than 40 K right now. You can't expect to receive more than 20- 25 K as a salary.

If I were you, I'd look for a country like Vietnam. Cheers.

Do you just get certifiied and then show up at schools in Thailand and apply in person?

What do you mean with "just getting' certified and then show up at schools? I've got two TESOL, a TEFL, a TOEIC, but nobody really wanted to see my TESOL, nor my TEFL. it's only a pretty much useless part of my resume. Of course will you read many posts telling you how important such a certificate would be. Especially from those who’re running such courses and of course also read these threads here. In my opinion it’s not worth the paper it’s written on.

Even courses where you've got "real students", not just the online procedure, aren't as the real situation when you’re walking into a Thai classroom, packed with 55 kids, no fan, not enough desks and chairs for the students, no curriculum, etc…..then you're on your own and I doubt that such a TESOL prepares you for such a situation.

Please don't burn your bridges in your country of origin and "move to Thailand", always keep the door open to come back without being homeless.

You could give it a try, look for a teaching position in your preferable area. Have a few sets of your resume printed out, visit some schools and I'm sure you'll find a teaching position. The dark side of it is that many superiors of schools do not know what to do to get you legal. It happens too often that they "forget to write the most important documents” with always the same excuses.

The educational area xxx office, where the school belongs to has to issue a document which is very important for you. Then a contract, preferable in Thai ,a letter of employment from school, plus some other documents.

There're plenty of people still on tourist visas and a lot who're waiting for the document from the TCT Bangkok. Once you've got the documents ready for a visa run, you'll have to leave the country, usually to Laos to apply for a Non Immigrant B visa, which gives you 90 days to sort the TCT document in form of a provisional TL out.

Unfortunately, are many schools using questionable, (fishy would be a better word) agencies and many of them are plain bloodsuckers, as their goal's to make money. I've heard of agencies/agents who take up to 40 % of a foreign teacher's salary. They promise a lot, but finally leave you in the rain. And sometimes it's really raining cats and dogs, roughly speaking.......

Especially when you're on a tourist visa, without the right degree. Never believe any spoken agreements, there’re too many good sounding offers, but when you have to find out that there’s neither a place to stay included, nor does the school know that you’re the one who starts there.

There're ways around the Teacher's Council of Thailand, without a degree. It's not really legal, but not really illegal either. Some schools also hire people as trainers, teachers' assistant, curriculum consultants and other fancy titles. That on the other hand depends on the province, you wouldn't believe how different an existing law, or regulation can be handled at the Immigration ,as well as at the Department of labor. It basically varies from province to province.

Why don't you give it a try and see if it suits you? There's a website called ajarn.com ( of course many others, as well) where you'll find plenty of jobs, just to give you an idea. If you're lucky and they accept a Skype interview, you could have a job before you even arrive.

Whatever your decision will be, best of luck from lower northeast. Cheers- wai2.gif

One of the biggest problems with the Thai Education System,

Allowing unqualified people "Teach" for the sake of a better

Word, the Thai Children. If you don't have a Degree in Education

And aren't qualified to be a part of the school system in your

Own country, why do you feel qualified to be a part of the

Thai System? And just for your information, " You TEACH

A dog to do tricks; You EDUCATE students.

...such a high demand for teachers that a degree isnt even necessarily needed to land a job teaching, and that it happens all the time....

*sigh*

(I blame old dog eared copies of Lonely Planet)

Am I the only one chuckling? Of course you can get a job teaching English in Thailand without a degree, without a teaching certification, and without any experience teaching.

Just google, "English teaching jobs in Thailand with no degree" you'll have thousands of hits

Of course you can get a job teaching English in Thailand without a degree, without a teaching certification, and without any experience teaching.

Just google, "English teaching jobs in Thailand with no degree" you'll have thousands of hits

Am I the only one chuckling?

No. I'm chuckling ... at your post.

blink.png

Do you write your posts in a stanza generator? That's interesting.

But before this goes too far, the problem is not only that the unqualified are permitted to teach, but that it's entirely possible for a candidate to be a degree holder and be unqualified. Conversely, it's entirely possible to be qualified and lack a degree.

The government, at present, thinks that the mere act of holding a degree makes one qualified. It's their country, and their prerogative to set the bar wherever they like. Unfortunately they're screwing themselves out of a lot of good teachers this way.

The schools should be the deciding authority on whether or not a candidate meets the requirements of the vacancies they post - just like almost every other employer in the world.

It was easy long ago to travel, i suppose, a working holiday,

and teach English to fund your travel (and meet women) the

thing is every young guy in Australia was doing that same

thing, i remember the TESOL, TEFL,TOEIC, words i never

heard of before now all of my friends were going to school

to do these courses, much money was generated through

this,, they all went off to teach English, all over South East

Asia, the place was flooded with teachers, they have all

returned, broke but with great stories to tell and remember

there is also China, Burma, Katmandu, Nepal, Mongolia,

why do you think Thailand is the golden goose, it used to

be now it's been used and abused and it's popularity on

the was down,, here is my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

Do you write your posts in a stanza generator? That's interesting.

But before this goes too far, the problem is not only that the unqualified are permitted to teach, but that it's entirely possible for a candidate to be a degree holder and be unqualified. Conversely, it's entirely possible to be qualified and lack a degree.

The government, at present, thinks that the mere act of holding a degree makes one qualified. It's their country, and their prerogative to set the bar wherever they like. Unfortunately they're screwing themselves out of a lot of good teachers this way.

The schools should be the deciding authority on whether or not a candidate meets the requirements of the vacancies they post - just like almost every other employer in the world.

Exactly, there are thousands of suitable candidates that can and do make excellent teachers yet do not hold a degree, and thousands more that are refused even an interview because they do not hold a degree. The other side is there are thousands that can and do hold teaching positions that have a BA in some pathetic unrelated useless ology subject and are absolutely hopeless at their job. Lets face it a degree these days in 90% of cases has been a complete waste of time for the holder except enjoying their gap year or getting drunk on campus, as for the candidate being more intelligent than those without is a debatable subject. To the OP, yes its possible as diplomas have been accepted and WP issued but it narrows down the possibilities.

To reply more on point to the OP - yes you can get employment in teaching without a degree - at a language school or university. However, while the government doesn't require a degree for working at these places, the institutions themselves might still require one. But at least that way, it's somewhat open to negotiation.

It was easy long ago to travel, i suppose, a working holiday,

and teach English to fund your travel (and meet women) the

thing is every young guy in Australia was doing that same

thing, i remember the TESOL, TEFL,TOEIC, words i never

heard of before now all of my friends were going to school

to do these courses, much money was generated through

this,, they all went off to teach English, all over South East

Asia, the place was flooded with teachers, they have all

returned, broke but with great stories to tell and remember

there is also China, Burma, Katmandu, Nepal, Mongolia,

why do you think Thailand is the golden goose, it used to

be now it's been used and abused and it's popularity on

the was down,, here is my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

You sound jealous that your friends did something you were not able to do.It seems that you didn't get the OP's post, please read it once more.

He's asking a simple question and deserves to get an honest answer, don't you think so?

There's a huge shortage/demand of English teachers and one way the other they'll have to change their regulations.

Nobody would spend a lot of money to make 30 K/month and the country needs people who can live in such a climate and teach 55 kids in a classroom without air conditioning.

People who're not backpackers to save some money for another trip to India, or so. They need people who can teach Thai kids under strange circumstances.

And that's what teaching English at most places all over Thailand is all about. It's a very difficult job and it takes a long time to know how to be successful.

The irony is that some weird shit online BA degrees in education from the Philippines are accredited by the TCT.

Does such a degree really "produce" a better quality of teachers?

I don't get your point that Thailand was used and abused? Without foreigners' money, many parts in Isaan would still be jungle.

Would I only have one percent of the money what foreigners spent in the time I wrote this post, I could quit my job and retire.

Your post just shows how much you know about this country and if anybody's asking you if you'd like to travel to Kathmandu, it's in Nepal.

You can sit their, smoke some hand rolled and have a look at the highest mountain range of this planet, also called Himalayas.

My five baht. -facepalm.gif

Some of you seem to think that a college Degree implies wisdom; if that is the case then why is it that American students get dumber every year?

Half the teachers in America can't tell you who the speaker of the House is. 3/4 could not tell you what date America won its Independence!

Yet it is these idiots you want teaching foreign children!

There is something to be said for life experience that no Classromm could ever teach!

Yet both Thailand and the US seem to overlook that.

I'm curious would those of you that believe in Degrees, say Steve Jobs, and Bill Gates are un qualified to teach English; since both men never finished College? And yet both men created companies that revial one another for the top company in the world!

Oh dear, look what I've done.

Okay, in an admittedly tepid defense of the "must have a degree" rule, the government and other public servants (TCT, Labor, etc.) really have no way of determining who is and isn't qualified. So in a half-hearted attempt to look like they're trying to set some kind of standard, they've decided to use the degree as their litmus test.

So I can sort of understand it, but I still don't agree with it. The hard part is trying to convince those with authority that they shouldn't have it, and that they give up control to the schools themselves. That will never happen.

Perhaps if the TCT had a professional attachment of highly experienced foreigners who were charged with the responsibility of interviewing non-degreed teaching applicants to assess their teaching potential, we might make some headway through the morass. But that would require them to admit their shortcomings, again something that they'll never do voluntarily.

Of course you can get a job teaching English in Thailand without a degree, without a teaching certification, and without any experience teaching.

Am I the only one chuckling?

No. I'm chuckling ... at your post.

blink.png

We done this dance before, Fullstop. Do you really believe there are no English teachers in Thailand who had no degree, no certifcation and no prior teaching exerience when they were hired?

Some of you seem to think that a college Degree implies wisdom; if that is the case then why is it that American students get dumber every year?

Half the teachers in America can't tell you who the speaker of the House is. 3/4 could not tell you what date America won its Independence!

Yet it is these idiots you want teaching foreign children!

There is something to be said for life experience that no Classromm could ever teach!

Yet both Thailand and the US seem to overlook that.

I'm curious would those of you that believe in Degrees, say Steve Jobs, and Bill Gates are un qualified to teach English; since both men never finished College? And yet both men created companies that revial one another for the top company in the world!

I agree with you, a college degree does not imply wisdom.

What a college degree does imply is the person had the sagacity to enter and complete a four-year apprentice-like learning program.

It may also imply the college-educated person is better at reading, research, analysis and writing than the lesser-educated individual.

Of course, those implications do not make it so. There will be lesser-educated persons who can read, research, analyze and write just as well.

I am well educated and in forty years as an expat always had white-collar jobs. However, I have known many experienced persons without college who could do the job better than their educated colleagues.

That, of course, does not imply that experienced persons are smarter than educated ones.

A college degree is nothing more than getting a ticket punched, one more certification. As with any certification, some holders will be capable.

We done this dance before, Fullstop. Do you really believe there are no English teachers in Thailand who had no degree, no certifcation and no prior teaching exerience when they were hired?

No...I don't believe that. There are "some". And like the last "dance",it's reality versus your exaggerated version, i.e "1000s of Google hits hits for teaching with no degree"s as an indicator that this is the stock standard situation in Thailand, that "gives me a chuckle.

Basically you're operating on info that's a few years out of date ... and doing so overly dramatically.

"Chuckle"

No...I don't believe that. There are "some". And like the last "dance",it's reality versus your exaggerated version, i.e "1000s of Google hits hits for teaching with no degree"s as an indicator that this is the stock standard situation in Thailand, that "gives me a chuckle.

Basically you're operating on info that's a few years out of date ... and doing so overly dramatically.

"Chuckle"

About 86,700,000 results (0.51 seconds)

OP ... If you listen to "smotherb", he'll have you believe that "Yes!...you CAN "Move to Thailand", get a job with no degree (a dodgy language school maybe) and live a happy life in your new country everafter.

Sorry, not anymore. No degree means lots of visa runs for the type of dodgy job you'll get. You may last a couple of years if you're lucky. Even experienced teachers with degrees are limited to 4 years now. 6 if they're lucky.

OP ... If you listen to "smotherb", he'll have you believe that "Yes!...you CAN "Move to Thailand", get a job with no degree (a dodgy language school maybe) and live a happy life in your new country everafter.

Sorry, not anymore. No degree means lots of visa runs for the type of dodgy job you'll get. You may last a couple of years if you're lucky. Even experienced teachers with degrees are limited to 4 years now. 6 if they're lucky.

Never said anything about a happy life or a career everafter.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't recommend teaching in Thailand. English teachers in Thailand are poorly paid, looked-down upon as unqualified--whether they are or not--often taken advantage of by unscrupulous teacher agencies or schools, have numerous hoops through which various Thai education requirements will make them jump just to keep their jobs, and many are wasting their prime earning years here teaching English.

Of course, with no qualifications you will not get a job at a first-class school, but not all Thai schools are first class.

The general feeling that Thais English language skills are the worst is SE Asia proves that there is something wrong which points at the quality of the teachers they are attracting. In order for skills to improve an overhaul of the recruiting requirments need to be addressed. Cant blame the students, that's the same as " bad workmen blaming their tools "

The general feeling that Thais English language skills are the worst is SE Asia proves that there is something wrong which points at the quality of the teachers they are attracting.

Wrong.Foreign teachers are a drop in the bucket. General classes in Thai schools have at the most 2 English lessons a week. That's the reason for the poor English skills.

I've always taught in English Programs (EPs) where the students are taught everyday in English ... in all subjects. The students English level is comparable to Filipinos of the same age.

It's the system ... not the teachers.

The general feeling that Thais English language skills are the worst is SE Asia proves that there is something wrong which points at the quality of the teachers they are attracting.

Wrong.Foreign teachers are a drop in the bucket. General classes in Thai schools have at the most 2 English lessons a week. That's the reason for the poor English skills.

I've always taught in English Programs (EPs) where the students are taught everyday in English ... in all subjects. The students English level is comparable to Filipinos of the same age.

It's the system ... not the teachers.

Yes, the system is flawed. Among the flaws are the system's acceptance of unqualified teachers.

The general feeling that Thais English language skills are the worst is SE Asia proves that there is something wrong which points at the quality of the teachers they are attracting. In order for skills to improve an overhaul of the recruiting requirments need to be addressed. Cant blame the students, that's the same as " bad workmen blaming their tools "

IMOP it doesn't matter if they employ 100% teacher gods the results will be the same in Thailand. The two main problems are.......

1) 15 years of free education which has caused the schools to impose the "0" Fail Policy thus making it unnecessary for the vast majority to learn anything & that's all subjects.

2) Students are being taught incorrect English from Pratom up by Thai English teachers that can barely speak English themselves. At my school we cannot teach parallel with the Thai teachers for fear that we would correct their teachings causing them to lose face. OMG!!!

Archived