How do you get a teaching job in Thailand without a degree?

The general feeling that Thais English language skills are the worst is SE Asia proves that there is something wrong which points at the quality of the teachers they are attracting.

Wrong.Foreign teachers are a drop in the bucket. General classes in Thai schools have at the most 2 English lessons a week. That's the reason for the poor English skills.

I've always taught in English Programs (EPs) where the students are taught everyday in English ... in all subjects. The students English level is comparable to Filipinos of the same age.

It's the system ... not the teachers.

Yes, the system is flawed. Among the flaws are the system's acceptance of unqualified teachers.

As has been pointed out earlier, we native speaking teachers have to deal with the mountain of mistakes that the Thai English teachers make when teaching.....its really appalling.

Just how do you think Thailand can afford qualified teachers from abroad to teach in Thai government schools? The going rate is STILL around 30,000 - 40,000! Do you really think that will attract teachers from England, Aus etc??? So whats your answer? Its already been made clear that the majority of Thai teachers cant even speak the language....so they are OUT as an option, untill they themselves learn to use the language correctly. So, we are back to square one again, We need native speakers BUT they cant afford 'qualified from home' teachers. Is that what you mean by qualified?? Not for the money the offer...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need a degree to teach legally in Thailand.

Not true. You need a work permit to teach legally in Thailand. There are occasions when work permits for teaching jobs are granted even if though the applicant doesn't have a degree. In other words, if there are special circumstances.

No where in the world is the same as 15 years ago.. You sound like a bitter person, why live in Thailand if its such a shitty place, if in fact you do..... giggle.gifcoffee1.gif

So my question then is how exactly do you go about this? Im very interested in moving to Thailand and teaching English but only have the equivalent of an AA degree.

You'll need a BA in any field to be able to apply for a provisional teacher's license and a Non-B visa. Of course will you find jobs, mostly for agencies who hire everybody who's white and can speak English, but that wouldn't be helpful when planning to "move to Thailand."

You won't have the chance to get a decent paid job, as you neither have teaching experience, nor do you seem to be qualified enough.

Teaching and living here legally, with the always changing laws and regulations can easily turn into a nightmare.

Too many rip of agencies who promise everything, but finally do nothing. Thai head teachers/HRM at schools who seem to think it's okay that you can work on a tourist visa and you'll find plenty of people telling you how easy it is to land a teaching position in Thailand.

But being here on a holiday and trying to make a living as a teacher is completely different. Please see older posts here on this, or on another forum and you'll see what I'm talking about.

It was nice 15 years ago and everything was dirt cheap. But times are changing and Thailand isn't the Land of Smiles anymore.When i started in 2005, there weren't too many foreigners in the lower northeast and Thais treated foreigners quite well.

That seems to have changed a lot. The quality of living as well. 25 K/month 15 year ago was a lot more than 40 K right now. You can't expect to receive more than 20- 25 K as a salary.

If I were you, I'd look for a country like Vietnam. Cheers.

Do you just get certifiied and then show up at schools in Thailand and apply in person?

What do you mean with "just getting' certified and then show up at schools? I've got two TESOL, a TEFL, a TOEIC, but nobody really wanted to see my TESOL, nor my TEFL. it's only a pretty much useless part of my resume. Of course will you read many posts telling you how important such a certificate would be. Especially from those who’re running such courses and of course also read these threads here. In my opinion it’s not worth the paper it’s written on.

Even courses where you've got "real students", not just the online procedure, aren't as the real situation when you’re walking into a Thai classroom, packed with 55 kids, no fan, not enough desks and chairs for the students, no curriculum, etc…..then you're on your own and I doubt that such a TESOL prepares you for such a situation.

Please don't burn your bridges in your country of origin and "move to Thailand", always keep the door open to come back without being homeless.

You could give it a try, look for a teaching position in your preferable area. Have a few sets of your resume printed out, visit some schools and I'm sure you'll find a teaching position. The dark side of it is that many superiors of schools do not know what to do to get you legal. It happens too often that they "forget to write the most important documents” with always the same excuses.

The educational area xxx office, where the school belongs to has to issue a document which is very important for you. Then a contract, preferable in Thai ,a letter of employment from school, plus some other documents.

There're plenty of people still on tourist visas and a lot who're waiting for the document from the TCT Bangkok. Once you've got the documents ready for a visa run, you'll have to leave the country, usually to Laos to apply for a Non Immigrant B visa, which gives you 90 days to sort the TCT document in form of a provisional TL out.

Unfortunately, are many schools using questionable, (fishy would be a better word) agencies and many of them are plain bloodsuckers, as their goal's to make money. I've heard of agencies/agents who take up to 40 % of a foreign teacher's salary. They promise a lot, but finally leave you in the rain. And sometimes it's really raining cats and dogs, roughly speaking.......

Especially when you're on a tourist visa, without the right degree. Never believe any spoken agreements, there’re too many good sounding offers, but when you have to find out that there’s neither a place to stay included, nor does the school know that you’re the one who starts there.

There're ways around the Teacher's Council of Thailand, without a degree. It's not really legal, but not really illegal either. Some schools also hire people as trainers, teachers' assistant, curriculum consultants and other fancy titles. That on the other hand depends on the province, you wouldn't believe how different an existing law, or regulation can be handled at the Immigration ,as well as at the Department of labor. It basically varies from province to province.

Why don't you give it a try and see if it suits you? There's a website called ajarn.com ( of course many others, as well) where you'll find plenty of jobs, just to give you an idea. If you're lucky and they accept a Skype interview, you could have a job before you even arrive.

Whatever your decision will be, best of luck from lower northeast. Cheers- wai2.gif

For the types of jobs that the OP is going to apply for, NEVER EVER accept the job from outside the country. The OP needs to see both the school and the area. Remember, he is not applying to top tier international schools.

The general feeling that Thais English language skills are the worst is SE Asia proves that there is something wrong which points at the quality of the teachers they are attracting.

Wrong.Foreign teachers are a drop in the bucket. General classes in Thai schools have at the most 2 English lessons a week. That's the reason for the poor English skills.

I've always taught in English Programs (EPs) where the students are taught everyday in English ... in all subjects. The students English level is comparable to Filipinos of the same age.

And how many Thai lessons do they have per week in USA UK OZ. 2 hours a week for how many years, a good teacher should be able to teach the poorest of students with that amount of hours. Stop defending the pee poor quality of the so called "qualified " English teaches that are present here in Thailand with their bought and paid for wifes or other neverious ladies. The sooner the system accepts teachers on a suitable basis rather than no worth degree the better.

^ If Thai was used as internationally as English is ... and one needed to be fluent in it ... 2 hours would not be enough.

You're obviously ignorant about language learning.

I thought teachers should pay attention to detail, please read my post, 2 hours a week for how many years? Obviously ignorant about reading properly. Exactly my point about most teachers here in Thailand, thankyou for proving a valid point.

The general feeling that Thais English language skills are the worst is SE Asia proves that there is something wrong which points at the quality of the teachers they are attracting. In order for skills to improve an overhaul of the recruiting requirments need to be addressed. Cant blame the students, that's the same as " bad workmen blaming their tools "

IMOP it doesn't matter if they employ 100% teacher gods the results will be the same in Thailand. The two main problems are.......

1) 15 years of free education which has caused the schools to impose the "0" Fail Policy thus making it unnecessary for the vast majority to learn anything & that's all subjects.

2) Students are being taught incorrect English from Pratom up by Thai English teachers that can barely speak English themselves. At my school we cannot teach parallel with the Thai teachers for fear that we would correct their teachings causing them to lose face. OMG!!!

So why work there, any teacher worth their salt would leave and find a better position than work in those conditions...How about trying to change things rather than being so negative or is that too hard to do and out of the parameters of degree education

^ If Thai was used as internationally as English is ... and one needed to be fluent in it ... 2 hours would not be enough.

You're obviously ignorant about language learning.

I thought teachers should pay attention to detail, please read my post, 2 hours a week for how many years? Obviously ignorant about reading properly. Exactly my point about most teachers here in Thailand, thankyou for proving a valid point.

Two hours a week? ... it will take forever. Hence the poor English ability of general classes students in Thailand. E.P students on the other hand ... with English daily in several subjects have pretty good English ability .. depending on their age. I teach ten year olds. They are quite capable of conversing in English.

E.Ps in Thailand are pretty much the same as all the schools in the Philippines ... and check out their English ability.

The system. Pure and simple.

No where in the world is the same as 15 years ago.. You sound like a bitter person, why live in Thailand if its such a shitty place, if in fact you do..... giggle.gifcoffee1.gif

So my question then is how exactly do you go about this? Im very interested in moving to Thailand and teaching English but only have the equivalent of an AA degree.

You'll need a BA in any field to be able to apply for a provisional teacher's license and a Non-B visa. Of course will you find jobs, mostly for agencies who hire everybody who's white and can speak English, but that wouldn't be helpful when planning to "move to Thailand."

You won't have the chance to get a decent paid job, as you neither have teaching experience, nor do you seem to be qualified enough.

Teaching and living here legally, with the always changing laws and regulations can easily turn into a nightmare.

Too many rip of agencies who promise everything, but finally do nothing. Thai head teachers/HRM at schools who seem to think it's okay that you can work on a tourist visa and you'll find plenty of people telling you how easy it is to land a teaching position in Thailand.

But being here on a holiday and trying to make a living as a teacher is completely different. Please see older posts here on this, or on another forum and you'll see what I'm talking about.

It was nice 15 years ago and everything was dirt cheap. But times are changing and Thailand isn't the Land of Smiles anymore.When i started in 2005, there weren't too many foreigners in the lower northeast and Thais treated foreigners quite well.

That seems to have changed a lot. The quality of living as well. 25 K/month 15 year ago was a lot more than 40 K right now. You can't expect to receive more than 20- 25 K as a salary.

If I were you, I'd look for a country like Vietnam. Cheers.

I wish you’d know where I wrote that Thailand’s a shitty place? My post was about the situation regarding teaching in Thailand many moons ago.

Should you live in a small village in Thailand now, please do yourself and others a big favor and get yourself some free reading glasses from your Phujaybaan.thumbsup.gif

I love where I am, what I’m doing and I also know who I am. biggrin.png

Unfortunately, not somebody who’d like to meet you in the middle of nowhere to have a beer. blink.png

Why don’t you read my words again and comprehend what I actually wrote? Thanks a lot in advance. wai2.gif

Yes, the system is flawed. Among the flaws are the system's acceptance of unqualified teachers.

As has been pointed out earlier, we native speaking teachers have to deal with the mountain of mistakes that the Thai English teachers make when teaching.....its really appalling.

Just how do you think Thailand can afford qualified teachers from abroad to teach in Thai government schools? The going rate is STILL around 30,000 - 40,000! Do you really think that will attract teachers from England, Aus etc??? So whats your answer? Its already been made clear that the majority of Thai teachers cant even speak the language....so they are OUT as an option, untill they themselves learn to use the language correctly. So, we are back to square one again, We need native speakers BUT they cant afford 'qualified from home' teachers. Is that what you mean by qualified?? Not for the money the offer...

Do all of you misunderstand?

I have neither stated Thailand should pay more for teachers--although that may be a way to get better teachers--nor have I stated that it is a good job to teach in Thailand.

I have simply stated that there are NES teachers who can barely mumble English, yet they get hired to teach. So, there is something wrong with the system.

Let me provide this caveat, there are also some unqualified teachers who actually care and do try and they can make a difference; they can even teach their students to speak some English--I reiterate, some unqualified teachers.

Therefore, I am simply making the statement that unqualified people who can barely mumble English are hired to teach English. Therefore, my response to the OP is come on down, you too can be an English teacher.

Some of you seem to think that a college Degree implies wisdom; if that is the case then why is it that American students get dumber every year?

Half the teachers in America can't tell you who the speaker of the House is. 3/4 could not tell you what date America won its Independence!

Yet it is these idiots you want teaching foreign children!

There is something to be said for life experience that no Classromm could ever teach!

Yet both Thailand and the US seem to overlook that.

I'm curious would those of you that believe in Degrees, say Steve Jobs, and Bill Gates are un qualified to teach English; since both men never finished College? And yet both men created companies that revial one another for the top company in the world!

"I'm curious would those of you that believe in Degrees, say Steve Jobs, and Bill Gates are un qualified to teach English; since both men never finished College? And yet both men created companies that revial one another for the top company in the world!"

Based on that torturous paragraph alone, please don't tell us that you are an English teacher. Companies that "revial" each other? What?

Jobs is, obviously, not qualified to do anything, he's dead, but even if he wasn't neither he nor Gates would be qualified to teach English just based on the fact that they ran successful companies. Neither of them have had any teacher training, as is the case with most English-language "teachers" here who are just an embarrassment to the real qualified teaching profession. Just because someone can speak (their usually non-grammatical dialect of) English doesn't mean they have the ability to pass that on to pupils correctly.

I pity the Thai children who end up speaking English with a broad Scouse, Mancunian, Yorkshire or London accent and I'm Liverpudlian originally so I can say that without prejudice.

Well, I have two degrees, but no one ever asked.

I just showed up in Rhek Thum one day to find a place to live near my GF. But word in a small town moves like lightning. Within an hour a woman hunted me down and said, "I can give you twenty thousand baht for 13 hours."

blink.png

Then she explained she was the head teacher at the school across the street.

Mon-Wed, three hours a day, and Thursday four hours. No camps, no lesson plans, no desk hours. It was a great year.

And no, I had no WP.

Has to be a small town, though, far from the maddening crowd. The jobs are out there.

Well, I have two degrees, but no one ever asked.

I just showed up in Rhek Thum one day to find a place to live near my GF. But word in a small town moves like lightning. Within an hour a woman hunted me down and said, "I can give you twenty thousand baht for 13 hours."

blink.png

Then she explained she was the head teacher at the school across the street.

Mon-Wed, three hours a day, and Thursday four hours. No camps, no lesson plans, no desk hours. It was a great year.

And no, I had no WP.

Has to be a small town, though, far from the maddening crowd. The jobs are out there.

True story, good or not. I've been offered jobs twice simply by visiting friends in Isaan who were school teachers and I was visiting their schools. I didn't take the jobs for various reasons including that I wasn't staying in the area but they were there. I wasn't asked anything about my education or background either. I was a white NES and that's all I was.

I will say that I believe I could have whipped up on the Thais who were the English teachers at the time. Who couldn't?

Carry on.

LOL. Most native English speakers become fluent from what they learn from their mother who may not have graduated from the third grade. They learn English not by structured design but by immersion. I say this only to point out that I was fluent in speaking, hearing, and some reading and writing before I ever met a "teacher". I needed the teacher and the structure of school to learn the fine points to the extent I did, but most Thai kids don't even reach the first level.

Even with good teachers something is wrong with the education systems, core beliefs, and methods in Thailand. I state the problem. I state the obvious. I don't know what the answer is.

Cheers. thumbsup.gif

Most native English speakers become fluent from what they learn from their mother who may not have graduated from the third grade. They learn English not by structured design but by immersion. I say this only to point out that I was fluent in speaking, hearing, and some reading and writing before I ever met a "teacher".

I've made this point I don't know how many umpteen million times but some people (and governments) just won't listen, and nothing short of an Eng Lit graduate will do.

Yes, if you want a student to learn about the predicate nominative and the subjunctive mood and the finer points of Chaucer, then you need to put him in a classroom with a full-fledged teacher with proven ability in the technicalities, that is the nuts & bolts of the language.

But that's only a small part of learning the language. There are more crucial needs that must be met first. The most important is learning as early as possible by simple exposure to those who can already speak the language well. Those people are our mothers & fathers, older sisters & brothers and other role models. For Thailand, there are tens of thousands of native English speaking retirees already in the country who could be tapped for instant exposure, but that will most likely never happen because... reasons.

Some of you seem to think that a college Degree implies wisdom; if that is the case then why is it that American students get dumber every year?

Half the teachers in America can't tell you who the speaker of the House is. 3/4 could not tell you what date America won its Independence!

There is something to be said for life experience that no Classromm could ever teach!

I'm curious would those of you that believe in Degrees, say Steve Jobs, and Bill Gates are un qualified to teach English; since both men never finished College? And yet both men created companies that revial one another for the top company in the world!

Yet, as ignorant as those teachers may be, I bet that they would know that Steve Jobs, being dead, would be doubly unqualified to teach anything at all. Unless your idea of distance learning includes séances.

Yet, as ignorant as those teachers may be, I bet that they would know that Steve Jobs, being dead, would be doubly unqualified to teach anything at all. Unless your idea of distance learning includes séances.

Glad to see that there're more lost people on this forum. Here's an easy lesson for beginners....

post-158336-0-35867500-1436276637_thumb.

I would like to tap the NES expats in the villages and towns and have them come in and just talk to the kids. No Thai teacher will do that. Teach the kids the alphabet song with the letters written on a chalkboard until they can say each one. Teach them how to say the R and L at as young an age as is possible. Hold up a shirt, write the word on the chalk board and have them say shirt. There's an l r in the word, donchaknow.

Give a prize to the one who does the best give a prize to everyone of course.

Any NES almost has to be better than nothing. What waste.

Cheers

Some of those 'life experience' CVs are nothing of the sort. Just drifting around since dropping out of college.

Some of those 'life experience' CVs are nothing of the sort. Just drifting around since dropping out of college.

Quite possible - maybe even probable. But that's what the resume is for, isn't it?

What kind of crazy employer wants to see a bachelor's degree (which most likely has nothing to do with teaching) of a 50 year old who has since acquired 25 years of potentially relevant work experience? I have a neighbor who doesn't have a bachelor's degree but he's been a corporate software trainer and tech writer/editor for two decades, but as far as the TCT is concerned, he's unqualified to teach even basic conversation or composition in Thailand. That's nuts.

Back in the 90s dot-com boom a lot of young people chose to get professional certifications such as PMP, CCIE, MCSE or (god help them) Novell Netware rather than do the 4 years at college.

When I used to do hiring for the government most of the ads said a degree was required, but I rarely looked at the applicant's degree unless they were very young (under 30). I was almost always more interested in real ability and experience of the candidate.

Unfortunately, Thai employers usually don't have anyone on staff who can assess the capability of a foreign applicant, so they base everything on that 25 year-old dusty piece of paper and end up rejecting many potentially qualified candidates who don't have it.

Quite possible - maybe even probable. But that's what the resume is for, isn't it?

What kind of crazy employer wants to see a bachelor's degree (which most likely has nothing to do with teaching) of a 50 year old who has since acquired 25 years of potentially relevant work experience? I have a neighbor who doesn't have a bachelor's degree but he's been a corporate software trainer and tech writer/editor for two decades, but as far as the TCT is concerned, he's unqualified to teach even basic conversation or composition in Thailand. That's nuts.

Back in the 90s dot-com boom a lot of young people chose to get professional certifications such as PMP, CCIE, MCSE or (god help them) Novell Netware rather than do the 4 years at college.

When I used to do hiring for the government most of the ads said a degree was required, but I rarely looked at the applicant's degree unless they were very young (under 30). I was almost always more interested in real ability and experience of the candidate.

Unfortunately, Thai employers usually don't have anyone on staff who can assess the capability of a foreign applicant, so they base everything on that 25 year-old dusty piece of paper and end up rejecting many potentially qualified candidates who don't have it.

That's interesting, the government, you say, does not care about degrees? The US government? For what jobs, wage board and below GS-6?

That's interesting, the government, you say, does not care about degrees? The US government? For what jobs, wage board and below GS-6?

Did you mean to quote somebody else's post? Where did I say the government doesn't care about degrees? And it was local government (Washington DC), not federal, not that it matters.

I actually said that the ad (the official job posting) usually said that applicant should have a degree in order to be considered (it's boilerplate language in most of the postings), but when I interviewed them I often found the degree they had was irrelevant to the position so I looked preferentially at their experience and ability instead.

Did you mean to quote somebody else's post? Where did I say the government doesn't care about degrees? And it was local government (Washington DC), not federal, not that it matters.

I actually said that the ad (the official job posting) usually said that applicant should have a degree in order to be considered (it's boilerplate language in most of the postings), but when I interviewed them I often found the degree they had was irrelevant to the position so I looked preferentially at their experience and ability instead.

"I rarely looked at the applicant's degree unless they were very young (under 30). I was almost always more interested in real ability and experience of the candidate."

I thought you were representing the government, sorry. So, you didn't care about degrees.

That's an understandable error.

To bring the discussion back around to the original topic, I'm simply saying that there should be ways to hire people who have relevant experience and can demonstrate solid, practical ability even though they might lack some traditional requirement like a piece of paper that says they attended a four-year frat party 25 years ago.

That's an understandable error.

To bring the discussion back around to the original topic, I'm simply saying that there should be ways to hire people who have relevant experience and can demonstrate solid, practical ability even though they might lack some traditional requirement like a piece of paper that says they attended a four-year frat party 25 years ago.

No, actually, fraternities are not a useful part of the university education process.

Still, as you will recall from recent press reports, they are considered to be autonomous, even though they are usually located within campus grounds.

I think that the issue bugging most was Free Speech.

You can Google it.

But, frat parties should be left to the likes of Belushi, and other good actors.

Archived