How do you get a teaching job in Thailand without a degree?

That's an understandable error.

To bring the discussion back around to the original topic, I'm simply saying that there should be ways to hire people who have relevant experience and can demonstrate solid, practical ability even though they might lack some traditional requirement like a piece of paper that says they attended a four-year frat party 25 years ago.

What is the understandable error, thinking a government employee should represent the best interests of the government?

Obtaining a college degree is just getting another ticket punched--just another certification, somewhat more difficult to achieve than most certifications. How many jobs require specific certifications or you cannot get the job? However, like all certifications, only some of the recipients will be capable.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obtaining a college degree is just getting another ticket punched--just another certification, somewhat more difficult to achieve than most certifications. How many jobs require specific certifications or you cannot get the job? However, like all certifications, only some of the recipients will be capable.

Your logic is OK on the surface ... in a general way. Certainly applicable to Western or richer countries ... but it doesn't quite work here in Thailand. You need to consider ALL the LOCAL factors. i.e a huge shortage of foreign teachers at the moment plus lousy wages. But mainly, the problem is not teachers not having degrees .... but not having "Education Degrees" ... but that's covered in other threads.

To the OP....you want a job with no degree? You can get one...but it won't be a good one or a stable/long term one. How to find them? Door knock at all the seedy little language schools you can find in the Thailand Yellow Pages (Online). Normal job sites like Ajarn.com mostly have ads demanding "any kind" of degree. But without an Ed Degree...you'll only be able to stay here for a handful of years.

Your logic is OK on the surface ... in a general way. Certainly applicable to Western or richer countries ... but it doesn't quite work here in Thailand. You need to consider ALL the LOCAL factors. i.e a huge shortage of foreign teachers at the moment plus lousy wages. But mainly, the problem is not teachers not having degrees .... but not having "Education Degrees" ... but that's covered in other threads.

To the OP....you want a job with no degree? You can get one...but it won't be a good one or a stable/long term one. How to find them? Door knock at all the seedy little language schools you can find in the Thailand Yellow Pages (Online). Normal job sites like Ajarn.com mostly have ads demanding "any kind" of degree. But without an Ed Degree...you'll only be able to stay here for a handful of years.

As seems to be your habit, you stray from the point and pursue your own agenda. The OP never suggested he was looking for "a good one or a stable/long term one" teaching in Thailand, he simply asked how he could go about getting a job teaching English in Thailand with only the equivalent of an AA degree.

I am pleased to see you now admit, "You can get one," that is, an English teaching job in Thailand without a degree. Originally, you attempted to argue that point with me.

Now you say the logic of my statement that a degree is just another form of ticket, a certification, to be punched is, "OK on the surface ... in a general way." What makes it illogical under the surface, in any way? Or are you arguing my comment that only some holders of certificates are capable?

As seems to be your habit, you stray from the point and pursue your own agenda. The OP never suggested he was looking for "a good one or a stable/long term one" teaching in Thailand, he simply asked how he could go about getting a job teaching English in Thailand with only the equivalent of an AA degree.

Seems to me I answered it.

I am pleased to see you now admit, "You can get one," that is, an English teaching job in Thailand without a degree. Originally, you attempted to argue that point with me.

I've never stated "you can't get one" (If I'm wrong .. quote me) My disagreement with you is your overly dramatic insinuation that the entire teaching industry is rife with non degree holders. That was more or less true a few years ago, but not now. Like I've stated elsewhere ... your info is dated.

blink.png

I don't think there is a shortage of people, who could teach English. There may be a shortage of people willing to do it for the pay being offered. The degree requirement is reasonable; I disagree with it needing to be a B.Ed.. A large percentage of University teachers, do not hold a degree in education, and do just fine. The examples of people with loads of experience, but not qualified to teach, would also apply to K-12 in America. There are alternative licensure routes, but those people do have a four year degree, and the Teacher's Unions do their best to undermine it. Not only, would Bill Gates not be allowed to teach English; he wouldn't be allowed to teach Computer Science, either. The post baccalaurette B.Ed. programs are mostly online, 500 USD per credit hour, and a ton of BS.

The Thai Government has shown zero interest in tapping the abundant NES resources available to them. I think they know there is a revolving door of trashpackers willing to give it a try, and they can even attempt to raise the bar on that group, but it does appear that they have really been pushing the envelope, lately. It also appears that they have been successful at applying the degree requirement. While they may be forced to streamline the paperwork process, they still have plenty of candidates. The chorus that sings "more money, more money," need to come to terms with the fact that it would be fiscally impossible to increase foreign teacher pay to 40-50K per month (pretty reasonable), and also raise Thai teacher pay to even 20K.

Vote with your feet. No one is forcing you to stay or work illegally. Many foreigners' willingness to work illegally is just feeding the beast.

Seems to me I answered it.

I've never stated "you can't get one" (If I'm wrong .. quote me) My disagreement with you is your overly dramatic insinuation that the entire teaching industry is rife with non degree holders. That was more or less true a few years ago, but not now. Like I've stated elsewhere ... your info is dated.

blink.png

.No, you just said it was old information and did not happen now. I translate that to , "you can't get one" Additionally, I just talked with the owner of a teaching agency last night, he needs two teachers now, he doesn't care if they have degrees of not--got to admit, that was last night, so it's not exactly current. You also stated my just google it and get thousands of hits for "teaching in Thailand without a degree" was old news, and you say it again, even after I showed you the google that day. You really have been sleeping through most of this, haven't you? Perhaps you should pay better attention, you may learn something--it's obvious you have a lot to learn.

Seems like Thailand is like China; it can be technically illegal, but if you're good - and polite - and don't make waves - they desperately need you. Seems there can be a pay off amongst officials if they like you. And to the poster who is crying about degrees and the like, there are college educated teachers out there who are absolute idiot teachers sorry to say; me, I've had some college that's about it, but I am a skilled, well liked teacher and very good thank you kindly. Fortunately I just guest teach in Thailand for free as I don't want to risk anything since I live here. If they deport me from China without a degree BFD - but they REALLY need teachers! Teach in China, make a lot of bucks then go down to Koh Tao. I'm teaching online now, mostly - outside of Thailand of course.

wink.png

Some of you seem to think that a college Degree implies wisdom; if that is the case then why is it that American students get dumber every year?

Because they're American?

biggrin.png

Oh, that must be why Americans are paid more than Brits. Having a degree only implies you were able to stick to a four year learning program; something which many people have not been able to do. A degree is simply another certification--as with all certifications; the more demand for the discipline, the better the pay for the certification; and the fewer certification holders, the more secure the work.

Seems like Thailand is like China; it can be technically illegal, but if you're good - and polite - and don't make waves - they desperately need you. Seems there can be a pay off amongst officials if they like you. And to the poster who is crying about degrees and the like, there are college educated teachers out there who are absolute idiot teachers sorry to say; me, I've had some college that's about it, but I am a skilled, well liked teacher and very good thank you kindly. Fortunately I just guest teach in Thailand for free as I don't want to risk anything since I live here. If they deport me from China without a degree BFD - but they REALLY need teachers! Teach in China, make a lot of bucks then go down to Koh Tao. I'm teaching online now, mostly - outside of Thailand of course.

wink.png

Guest teaching in Thailand with no WP = illegal

Teaching online while YOU are in Thailand with no WP = illegal

:-)

wink.png

:-)

For the most part......http://www.chiangraitimes.com/17-foreigners-arrested-in-chiang-mai-for-teaching-english-online.html However, if you were in your own apartment, not working for a local company; you would be pretty safe, and at that point would be more of a "digital nomad," and one that actually makes money.

It's worse for Thais.

How's the Burmese wife hunting going?

Psst. Top secret.

A friend of a friend could shoot some photos where he's hunting and I'd like to share a photo of the captured member with you.......

Mingalahbaa....facepalm.gif

post-158336-0-73020500-1437313891_thumb.

For the most part......http://www.chiangraitimes.com/17-foreigners-arrested-in-chiang-mai-for-teaching-english-online.html However, if you were in your own apartment, not working for a local company; you would be pretty safe, and at that point would be more of a "digital nomad," and one that actually makes money.

And if I remember correctly, immigration has issued statements in the recent past saying that digital nomads are in the clear as long as their employer is not a business in Thailand and they're not drawing their salary from within Thailand. I think this was to put at ease tourists who were on long vacations but still need to answer emails, remotely manage IT infrastructure and do other administrative tasks while here on vacation. Amiright?

And if I remember correctly, immigration has issued statements in the recent past saying that digital nomads are in the clear as long as their employer is not a business in Thailand and they're not drawing their salary from within Thailand. I think this was to put at ease tourists who were on long vacations but still need to answer emails, remotely manage IT infrastructure and do other administrative tasks while here on vacation. Amiright?

Yes, correct, but they did raid a shared workspace and took everyone to Immigration, but released everyone. That was about a month before the online school was raided. So it looks like anyplace with computers, desks, phones, is going to be scrutinized. A lot of the apartment wi-fis are inadequate, so those people are forced to use the shared spaces. A little diligence on the wi-fi speed would be advised.

*sigh* A drama queen.

HINT.... Don't ever become a statistician ... you'll starve.

Again, you are incorrect--don't you ever get tired of being wrong? My statistical abilities help me complete my dissertation and earn my doctorate, which kept me gainfully employed until I retired financially independent.

My statistical abilities help me complete my dissertation and earn my doctorate, which kept me gainfully employed until I retired financially independent.

I just talked with the owner of a teaching agency last night,(ONE PERSON) he needs two teachers now, he doesn't care if they have degrees of not--got to admit, that was last night, so it's not exactly current.

Thank God you DID give up your day job. A statistical analysis made with a sample pool of ONE ... LOL.

blink.png

*sigh* A drama queen.

Again, you are incorrect--don't you ever get tired of being wrong? My statistical abilities help me complete my dissertation and earn my doctorate, which kept me gainfully employed until I retired financially independent.

Present tense for complete my dissertation? LOL

*sigh* A drama queen.

Present tense for complete my dissertation? LOL

Go easy on him. He;s just a lousy statistician ... not a lousy teacher ...

laugh.png

Some of those 'life experience' CVs are nothing of the sort. Just drifting around since dropping out of college.

Back in the 90s dot-com boom a lot of young people chose to get professional certifications such as PMP, CCIE, MCSE or (god help them) Novell Netware rather than do the 4 years at college.

actually it's "MSCE," and all of it kind of resembled a pay to work scheme. As someone with both a BBA and a CNE, I would say the CNE (or MSCE) is equivalent to a maximum of 12 semester hours of college credits (128 for a 4 year degree is typical). I attained my CNE in 1994 and took a job at 15.75 per hour, in Phoenix. Phone support......sucked. The certificate mills were up and running, and they were telling people, who couldn't do Algebra that they would be making 50K per year without degrees. 10 per hour was much more like it, in their cases. In fact, when I worked for Tucson Unified School District; custodians started at a higher wage than computer technicians. The TEFL Certificate is no more legitimate, and if the school really needs a white body; 12 sheets of toilet paper will be more useful. It seems that the TEFL training is the most lucrative part of the whole business. Online learning has evolved tremendously. There is plenty of free stuff out there, especially in the computer business. I'm taking C# with Microsoft Academy, and on a scale of 0-10, I give it an "8." 100% Free.

I suspect he was referring to an MCSE, a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert, or possibly the (now retired) Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. What's an MSCE? It doesn't come up in a search.

I stand corrected. But to make excuses, I will state that Microsoft was known as "MS" in its early days (MS-DOS)....Still MCSE is the equivalent of 3-4 college courses.

It looks like they finally learned that people aren't going to pay to learn and use a lot of their stuff. So many good free Linux and JAVA courses out there....the C# (which is MS proprietary C Language) is excellent. They would have been charging 995 USD, 10 years ago. The expensive exam racket lives on, though.

Archived