Surat Thani authorities arrest jet-ski rental operators on Koh Phangan

webfact

Surat Thani authorities arrest jet-ski rental operators for unfair trading

SURAT THANI, 2 July 2015, (NNT) - Surat Thani military dispatched soldiers to arrest five jet ski operators in Ko Phangan, due to local complaints of unfair trading and causing environmental impact.

According to beachgoers, the jet ski operators were overcharging for their services and disturbing other tourists by failing to maintain their equipment in designated areas.

Fishermen also complained that shrimp have migrated away from Surat Thani waters, because of the disruptive water sport.

Officials investigated the matter and eventually put out arrest warrants for five jet ski operators at Thong Nai Pan Yai Beach and Rin Beach. Soldiers also confiscated 20 jet skis. The suspects did not resist arrest, and are currently being detained in Koh Phangan Police station for further due process.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-02 footer_n.gif

"The suspects did not resist arrest"

Really, I know for a fact one of them slapped (it was a woman) a soldier in the face... twice.

This has been building up for a while (about 7 months since the Thong Nai Pan community first approached the army) and the second time in two weeks that the army has told the operators in TNP to shutdown.

interesting, there used to be a guy in chaloklum renting, and he was ok.

thankfully if you are one the other side of the island there is none of this nonsense, but dont tell anyone, the Full moon party acts as a great social filter by keeping the ignorant away from the island.

"...Fishermen also complained that shrimp have migrated away from Surat Thani waters, because of the disruptive water sport..."

Thai fishermen = Marine biologists? Wow...and I thought the education system here was bad. I'll have to rethink that.

"...Fishermen also complained that shrimp have migrated away from Surat Thani waters, because of the disruptive water sport..."

Thai fishermen = Marine biologists? Wow...and I thought the education system here was bad. I'll have to rethink that.

Do try to expand your mind a little. Is it too far a stretch for you to imagine that a shrimp fisherman might know something about shrimp migration?

Do try to expand your mind a little. Is it too far a stretch for you to imagine that a shrimp fisherman might know something about shrimp migration?

I second the emotion. And, you see, there are some Thai folks that can add 2 and 2, and come up with 4. More jet skis, less shrimp. Duh.............. coffee1.gif

I, for one, would be very happy to see all jet-skis in Thailand banned. They are loud, stink and dangerous.

Why ? Is it maybe because you already had your fun with these when you were younger and now an old man ? Please don't be selfish....

<deleted> what are the police doing? or are they the pansy brigade, it needs the army?????? Oooops forgot Mr Big is most likely "Police"

That's what I was wondering also...

Why the heck have a so-called police force there if they are unable or unwilling to do the basic task of police work?

Is this place so dysfunctional and corrupt that they have to send armed soldiers to handle what ought to be a pretty routine police matter?

Obnoxious, infernal machines. A danger to swimmers, as well. A couple of posters here seem to think its OK

to make as much noise as possible to annoy everyone else. Hey, its all part of being young.

As if age has anything to do with it. Rudeness and inconsiderate behavior know no age limitations.

Youth is no excuse.

I, for one, would be very happy to see all jet-skis in Thailand banned. They are loud, stink and dangerous.

Why ? Is it maybe because you already had your fun with these when you were younger and now an old man ? Please don't be selfish....

I think jet skis are fine... provided:

--they're operated by responsible parties/businesses.

--they're not used at a location that's trying to be a quiet, tranquil beach.

--they're not used in the same area where people are allowed to be swimming.

Is there anywhere in Thailand with jet skis that actually meets those criteria? Doubt it...

They ought to do what they have done in New South Wales, where PWC's (personal water craft) have been totally banned from Sydney Harbour and many other waterways. There are only certain areas where they can now be used and there is none of this travelling in circles, zigzagging, and racing into shore, or being with 200 metres of people swimming. The rider must travel ina straight line and operate the unit 200 metres from shore, in the permitted area. The rider and craft must be registered and the latter insured. Monitored by Police and Maritime and Roads, with heavy penalties applying for any breaches.

I think jet skis are fine... provided:

--they're operated by responsible parties/businesses.

--they're not used at a location that's trying to be a quiet, tranquil beach.

--they're not used in the same area where people are allowed to be swimming.

Is there anywhere in Thailand with jet skis that actually meets those criteria? Doubt it...

I don't know of any island or beach in Thailand which meets these requirements, but then again it is Thailand and it is what it is....

A note to the big man: arrests do not impress us. Do you know what impresses both foreigners and locals? Follow up, convictions, and prison time. Massive fines, confiscated equipment, that is not returned, and meaningful change, implemented to benefit the people and the land (the restoration of peace and happiness, remember?) The rest is jawboning. Arrests are a move in the right direction. But, men of power and conviction follow up an arrest with something meaningful and something known around the world as a deterrent.

They ought to do what they have done in New South Wales, where PWC's (personal water craft) have been totally banned from Sydney Harbour and many other waterways. There are only certain areas where they can now be used and there is none of this travelling in circles, zigzagging, and racing into shore, or being with 200 metres of people swimming. The rider must travel ina straight line and operate the unit 200 metres from shore, in the permitted area. The rider and craft must be registered and the latter insured. Monitored by Police and Maritime and Roads, with heavy penalties applying for any breaches.

No one here wants a fascist police state like NSW

Of course it has nothing to do with overfishing or taking unsersize shrimp

so I guess tuk tuk 2 stoke, all two stoke old motorbikes and diesel trucks are ok? Just come down on a great recreational sport because you are either too out of shape, conservative prick, miserable and old or a combinaion of all. Btw I am 60 and love to jet ski every chance me and my young Thai gf get the chance:-) sorry dude you are a bore.

Obnoxious, infernal machines. A danger to swimmers, as well. A couple of posters here seem to think its OK

to make as much noise as possible to annoy everyone else. Hey, its all part of being young.

As if age has anything to do with it. Rudeness and inconsiderate behavior know no age limitations.

Youth is no excuse.

So something will be done if the shrimp disappear but tourists being ripped off beaten or killed doesn't warrant any action.

Phuffffft!!!

I think you have a point there... they have been ripping tourists off in Pattaya for years with the old "you scratched it, you pay" scam, beating and frog marching tourists to ATM's.

But then Pattaya has no Shrimps.

No one here wants a fascist police state like NSW

Really, a fascist police state? I trust you're from OZ and know this to be true? No one here wants such a state, you have been elected as spokesperson I see, or have conducted a recent poll to reach this conclusion? It sounds as if you have been subjected to a traumatic experience there to be so against the State. Maybe you would like to expand on your statement and enlighten us all as to why you have posted in such a profound and inane manner?

Archived