What was your scariest moment in Thailand?

Before i was married to my now wife ,i was with a young Thai girl for a year or so ,she accused me (wrongly) of having an affair , i tend to make light of things and laughed ,she got a knife ,i locked myself in the loo while she blindly stabbed and stabbed at the door trying to get at me , i was very carefull after that , mind you we split up 6 months later whistling.gif never take a laugh to a knife fight

Apart from that in 24 years i have never felt afraid or threatened

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the floods happened, The hotel i was living in took in too many people (Over Max capacity) , well they all using the Internet. I was trading my fund at the time and not aware of the influx so the internet slowed then crashed. Ouch that hurt, No phone no internet. Now i carry 2 phones with me at all times..

Being out jogging (not at home but during travel so didn't know the local conditions) I jogged across a field when I see two very large Rottweilers barking and charging at me from a distance coming out of a building site labor camp. Behind the dogs I could see some guys looking at without raising a finger but rather smiling or even laughing.

While I was looking for stones or anything around me for defense I glanced at the dogs and I could see that while they where charging at me they where also fighting each other as to who would get the first bite in.

I found nothing to defend myself with so as the dogs came closer I stopped , assumed an aggressive stance with one arm down for the dogs to bite and the other raised to hit the first dog right in the face.

When the dogs came very close, about a meter or two they where still fighting each other while running, did not see me at first, but when I screamed my battle cry, they looked at me again and stopped in their tracks and ran away very fast whining like puppies. pheeww......

Building a nice house, having two strokes, being left part disabled, being told long haul flights were too dangerous and the wife leaving me. No where to return to in the UK.

The realization I'm trapped.

That's scary Paul........

Asking the person I was in bed in with in Pattaya why they kept a picture of their brother on the bedside table.

She said "Don't be silly, that's me before the operation"

What did I do?

Moved 'up-country' and have been there ever since....................sad.png

tongue.png

I don't believe you, that's just too funny to be true.

Its also a few years old and told to me by an Aussie in 2012 ish.

Private question, so all I'm gonna say is:

It involved a mix of 3 lines of cocaine, half a gram of meth, 4 police officers, 2 black guys, a violent bar brawl, a knife stabbing me in the ribcage, 2 prostitutes, a midget, a lawyer, and a 10 wheeler truck. All in one night.200_s.gif

Seems rather normal, what was it that scared you?

When my ex-girlfriends mother and three others attacked me with a machette, I retaliated with a 6 foot x 3 inch piece of bamboo,I did disarm them of the machette and threw it as far as I could. Of course it was me that got fined 500 baht for assault as I should not have been in Thailand at the time.

When I fell off a motorbike drunk and broke my femur.

Fortunately there was a couple of Good Samaritan Thai men that carried me to a baht bus and got me to hospital.

You admit to being drunk while riding your motorbike, shame on you, hope you learned your lesson and never did it again.

Maybe even saved the lives of innocent people.

When my ex-girlfriends mother and three others attacked me with a machette, I retaliated with a 6 foot x 3 inch piece of bamboo,I did disarm them of the machette and threw it as far as I could. Of course it was me that got fined 500 baht for assault as I should not have been in Thailand at the time.

What you mean is if you were not in Thailand, it would never have happened.

Once a huge pack of street dogs started to following me in Ayutthaya at night on my way back to the hotel. They were like 10-12 and stated to get more and more aggressive as "we" walked together for several minutes which seemed an eternity at that time. Eventually they reached a mental point of state as they were herding around me when they started to biting my shoes as I was trying to protect myself. They sounded like a pack of hungry wolves.

But I was very lucky because a pickup packed fully with Burmese workers just turned into the street and they saw what was going on. So they jumped off with shovels and chased the bastards away.

That was my first trip to Thailand so I was completely unaware of the street dog situation here and I just wanted to take a nice evening walk around the ruins. But it almost ended very badly.

The second green at Don Muang golf course in the late 90's. My Thai caddy tut tutted as I stepped into the sand trap. (all my golf balls are magnetically attracted to sand traps and water hazards) I now know that the snake that reared up a metre in front of me was a common monocle cobra. I exited the sand pit at one end and the snake exited at the other end. I have had many encounters with snakes in Australia, but this was my first scary experience in Thailand. I have seen a lot of snakes in Thailand around my village near Kabinburi. All have been from a safe range.

On a serious note, the truth is:

Nothing

I've been living in Thailand for over 5 years now. Never experienced something scary. I guess I am either "very lucky man" or just have a lot of common sense. If I did have to name something that scares me everyday, it would be the "Gotta poop but am nowhere near a clean toilet" scenario.

Funniest and scariest both involved animals.

Couple of months ago my dog was scratting around on the porch about 2am in the morning.

I went out looked around his cage but couldn't find anything.

I thought maybe a gecko on the side wall of the raised patio.

Leaning over his cage, I couldn't see anything, until.....my peripheral vision made me glance to the side.

There sat on the wall, inches from my head was the biggest ugliest spider I've seen in my life.

I leapt over the dog and cleared 4 steps before touching the ground.

Usain Bolt wasn't the fastest man in the world that night.........jeeeezus!

Some years ago I was installing an Intruder Alarm system for a bloke with a big secluded house.

He requested a loud internal siren as his neighbours were hundreds of metres away.

I fitted a 'Master Blaster' which is run on 240v and sounds like an air raid siren.

After fitting I came around to showing the customer the operating procedures.

He sent the wife and kids out for the day and I hadn't seen any animals all day.

At the point where I allowed the alarm to trigger and warned the client is was loud, very loud, I walked into the Dining Room, the siren went off.............and a cat suddenly appeared from behind a chair in the corner, straight up 4' in the air, legs going like the clappers. It hit the ground legs still running and flew straight into the glass doors of the closed patio doors.

It was like something from a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

I laughed, then howled, then the tears came down my face. The guy was doubled up, trying to get his breath.

Eventually, in a squeaky voice he said "now I know how to make the ****** move"

I apologised profusely, but he wouldn't have it. Said it was the best laugh he had in years and if his wife had been there she would have wet her pants. It took us 20 minutes to stop bursting into laughter. He gave me a £20 tip.

windy, rainy night landing at Samui Airport in ATR-72, the third attempt was the charm even though we were almost sideways to the runway, excellent pilot!

I had the same pleasure with snow and thick slush on the runaway. Unfortunately, at the moment I was employed by the airline and had a cockpit seat! And I wasn't a pilot!

Knave and wife sitting on sofa, watching new flatscreen, in our newly rented house in Nong Khai. BIG centipede crawls up the back of the sofa, and parks 6 inches from the arm I have around my wife. Guess he was a Twilight fan...yanked the wife off the sofa so fast it made both our heads spin.

Got my supercharged mosquito racket, fetched it a few whacks. Hardly fazed, but each whack fried a leg or two, until he hit the floor and I was able to use the side of the racket to dispatch the nasty <deleted>##ker.

After that, the hand-sized huntsman spiders and the odd scorpion were comic relief...

Walking into the bathroom while the elderly MIL was taking a shower.

Still have the occasional nightmare about that.

did something similar but it was the wife's old man sat on the toilet. i swore in english and he swore in thai. it took a good few whiskies that night before he would look me in the eye again.

Fortunately there was a couple of Good Samaritan Thai men that carried me to a baht bus and got me to hospital.

You admit to being drunk while riding your motorbike, shame on you, hope you learned your lesson and never did it again.

Yes. I don't drink and drive anymore.

However being a UK lottery winner I live here and do whatever the F)(;: I want.

I now have 2 chauffeurs that run me, my wife where ever we want to go

1) Being shipwrecked with 12 others when our boat went down near Koh Rock (Trang), swimming in the sea (no life raft) for 8 hours until getting rescued by a fishing boat. Luckily we had one waterproof torch with us, otherwise who know what would have happened.

2) Almost stepping on a cobra after having laid a brick in the forest in Trang. When I wanted to step back into my trousers with one leg up, I realized that a cobra was curled up nicely exactly where my foot would land. She just looked up, and I ended up standing there for about 5 minutes, pants in my hand, one leg in the air like Karate Kid, staring back at that creature without twitching until she slowly uncurled and moved away... Luckily I already had taken a dump, otherwise I might have shat myself smile.png

3) Being threatened by a drunk, angry boat captain that he will slit my throat and that of my (Thai) girlfriend when being a diveguide at Similan, back in the 90s. I told him that I would be waiting for him, went to sleep with my diver's knife under my pillow and slept through like a baby.

4) 73 meter dive on air alone but with a pony tank at Burma Banks to break free the anchor our captain managed to get stuck under some rocks. Did not take a buddy along as I did not want to endanger a 2nd person and be responsible for him. Without anchor, a 24 hour or more sail away from shore the anchor is your life line, thus we could not simply ditch it. Had tunnel vision, etc. and around 10 silver tip sharks circling around me (I love sharks). Freed the anchor and made it back to the boat without getting DCS after a very long "safety stop".

5) Psycho girlfriend (Thai) threatening to kill me when I told her that it's over... Messed up my brain so bad that I changed all locks and slept right behind the door with a knife under my pillow for a full week. That b1tch was scarier than 1 to 4... Man, unbelievable!

6) Thai neighbor (bike rental) enraged about me asking him for the long overdue green book for my GF's bike that she bought from him, standing in front of me screaming like hell, stuttering insults while waving a machete at me. I asked him what he'd gonna do, "Kill me?" I just gave him a dirty smirk, turned around and walked away unharmed.

7) Almost getting killed in the Tsunami in Khao Lak - swept out of my home which was just a stone throw away from shore, then into another building, was trapped for minimum 2 minutes under water until almost passing out, out of body experience, back in and came to the surface, then found a mattress and went inland holding onto it for another kilometer. Lost both parents and almost everything else I had back then.

8) Got stuck in a dive ladder on a diving boat in Indonesia. Captain (did not see me) dragged me through the water for what felt like hours, swallowing water whenever I tried to scream for help. Eventually one of the dive guides on the boat realized what was going on and got the captain to stop the boat.

Learned a lot. The essence of life is to stand back up again, regardless of what life throws at you, and NEVER accept the role of being a victim.

Book will follow.

Cheers,

MockingJay

Yes. I don't drink and drive anymore.

However being a UK lottery winner I live here and do whatever the F)(;: I want.

I now have 2 chauffeurs that run me, my wife where ever we want to go

Your second last sentence. That thinking is a bit like mine up to a point. I will not obey anyones rules or regulations if I don't agree with them if I can get away with it, provided it is not affecting anyone else.

Congratulations on winning the lottery, and I'm glad you don't drink and drive anymore.

These pair spring to mind:

1) An arm,severed at the shoulder, landed in front of the jeep I was driving when a drunk driver to my right hit an oncoming motorcyclist who had jumped a red light @ midnight during Songkran 10-12 years ago. I was sober but made myself scarce as a precaution re being blamed. I ran over the arm in the process but as far as I remember my wheels didn't actually touch it. This was pre-dashcam or CCTV.

2) Coughing isn't normally a problem but it's a whole new ball game if it starts while you're 40 odd meters underwater & have the lung capacity of Pavarotti smile.png

windy, rainy night landing at Samui Airport in ATR-72, the third attempt was the charm even though we were almost sideways to the runway, excellent pilot!

I had the same pleasure with snow and thick slush on the runaway. Unfortunately, at the moment I was employed by the airline and had a cockpit seat! And I wasn't a pilot!

Snow... on a run(a)way in Thailand? :)

Once a huge pack of street dogs started to following me in Ayutthaya at night on my way back to the hotel. They were like 10-12 and stated to get more and more aggressive as "we" walked together for several minutes which seemed an eternity at that time. Eventually they reached a mental point of state as they were herding around me when they started to biting my shoes as I was trying to protect myself. They sounded like a pack of hungry wolves.

But I was very lucky because a pickup packed fully with Burmese workers just turned into the street and they saw what was going on. So they jumped off with shovels and chased the bastards away.

That was my first trip to Thailand so I was completely unaware of the street dog situation here and I just wanted to take a nice evening walk around the ruins. But it almost ended very badly.

Well, given that you have six legs, your appearance most likey scared the S..t out of them, huh? :)

Three snake stories in one year....one 15k west of Udon, the other two inside Udon.

1. Was loading my truck to move from the countryside into Udon Town. It was raining, so I ran to the back patio, and grabbed the orange and black, pottery BBq. It was heavy, so I held it to my chest. The 3 foot long cobra, who had made a warm berthing area for himself, shot out of the side hole. I remember tripping over something, and thought it was a stick. It was a darn cobra. If I had held that bbq to my chest, I would of been dead.

2. Attached room to my house in Udon had a cement air vent, with several openings..that was missing a screen. That wall was the exterior wall for the main house. Darn cobra had been nesting under the house, and the one time I did not turn the lights on, I ran into the attached room. Darn Cobra was under my bed. It went through my legs, and I leaped for the bed. It went back under the house...and I cemented up the opening. Same snake tried to get in my front door, 3 days later. The dog barked, and I saw it climbing the patio steps....I thew my lunch at it (plate and all)...and it changed course and dropped off the back patio.

3. Was walking around Nong Prajak Park in Udon, with the wife. Many other people were doing the same. Went around the park, and when we got to the bridge, a darn green flying snake decided to leap off the lamp pole (20 feet high)...and I saw it flatten out and fly right towards us. It landed six feet away, and went into the brush.

I am now an official "Snake Magnet"....

Archived