What was your scariest moment in Thailand?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To bellacissa. A close encounter with a snake is scary. But snakes are not known as attacking anything that they cannot consume. Just don't step on a really venomous one. This event is rare. Snakes are an important part of the ecology and they mostly feed on rats and mice. There are many snakes in Thailand. If I find one near my house I try to shoo them away. But not cobras, I let them wander off on their own.

windy, rainy night landing at Samui Airport in ATR-72, the third attempt was the charm even though we were almost sideways to the runway, excellent pilot!

I had the same pleasure with snow and thick slush on the runaway. Unfortunately, at the moment I was employed by the airline and had a cockpit seat! And I wasn't a pilot!

Snow... on a run(a)way in Thailand? smile.png

biggrin.png No this was bit closer to the polar circle, in ATR-72 so it's not 100% off topicrolleyes.gif

All of the cobra stories are making me glad that I live on the 5th floor. blink.png

Try not to think too much about them using the elevator. Sweet dreams...................wink.png

tongue.png

I would much prefer an exit route, than to find that a cobra had somehow made it's way to the elevator...at the exact time the power went out, and both the cobra and I were halfway between floors. In the dark. Alone. and needing to crap.

i was a boxer and street fighter when young have been stabed fought many in bike gang

now older and retired some years ago was walking home in cm

a thai lady was on the road screaming and bashing here head on the road rolling to the curb and hitting her head on curb

people around doing nothing iwent ant grabed here arms and pulled here up to stop here trying to kill herself

i was twice her size but she had the strenth off a big man then started to kick and try to bite me no one would help

hope police would come about 40 min police and ambulance came she exhausted me but could let her go the medics told me they get possed by devil and get very strong she had me on the ropes

All of the cobra stories are making me glad that I live on the 5th floor. blink.png

Try not to think too much about them using the elevator. Sweet dreams...................wink.png

tongue.png

I would much prefer an exit route, than to find that a cobra had somehow made it's way to the elevator...at the exact time the power went out, and both the cobra and I were halfway between floors. In the dark. Alone. and needing to crap.

Well, thats a comforting thought. I'll be taking the stairs from now on. Thanks a lot, guys! shock1.gif

Whenever i get into a taxi i photo the yellow driver id

then e-mail it to myself, just in case,,,,,SO,,,,,,,

I'm in a taxi to the Hotel from Suwana after midnight,

the driver knows the Hotel, i give him directions in

Thai, it's a fair way to Rachada, half way there driver

tells me he needs to wee, turns off a side road, pitch

black, stops the car in a bushy site, opens the door

takes the key and runs off,, i sit there thinking, ok is

this how it's going to be, how will it be played out, now

i needed the toilet paper,, cold sweat, mind racing,

where the fcku am i, in a flash the driver jumps back in

big smile on his face, drives through the bushes into

the hotel car park, he had taken a short cut through

some land behind the hotel that was now a jungle

in the middle of Bangkok, calm down oh beating heart.

About 15 years ago, I was neck deep in Jomtien surf. Suddenly something bumped in to me hard,I was tossed around like a rag doll. I felt it from my shoulder down to my hip, so it wasn't small and "it" had skin like sandpaper. Scared out of my f+++ing mind I ran/swam, hearing cello playing in my mind, all the way to the beach road. That was the last time I've ever been,more than knee deep, in any natural water.

Walking into the bathroom while the elderly MIL was taking a shower.

Still have the occasional nightmare about that.

did something similar but it was the wife's old man sat on the toilet. i swore in english and he swore in thai. it took a good few whiskies that night before he would look me in the eye again.

Protip:

1. Knock first

2. Lock the door

Witnessing a daylight shooting, outside of a bar, next to my my condo in Pattaya, November 2013.

I called the BIB, who eventually arrived well after the drunken crowd had fled.

I filed a police report at the Soi 9 station and moved.

Being pushed sideways into an open alley, two more guys waiting, Machete across my throat, held against the wall whilst they emptied my pockets etc. What did I do ? absolutely nothing !! didnt move a muscle, well actually my anal muscles were working overtime.

After they had what they wanted they ran off, I got in the next Taxi and went back to the Hotel and thanked my lucky stars I wasnt dead in that alley. Never again have walked alone and late at night in Bangkok.

(incident in 2006)

As Confucius would say: "Better to have a quivering bunghole than a cut windpipehole"

Getting bashed by a Thai mafia member after getting caught in bed with 1 of his girlfriends.

Luckily the girl distracted him long enough for me to do a runner before his pack of redneck mates got word of it & made the quick dash to join the fray. Only victim a blooded shirt, a broken nose and ruined fun

as others say its on the road, the daily drive gets to me. I used to scorn those 4 wd humvvee thigns as inefficient unpractical etc, you know, I don't need a 3 or 5 litre engine to get anywhere I want, and its not as if they out perform, also manouvering a big vehicle like that. but it has the advantage of armour, ok it won't help with a big truck or heavy vehicle, but in those cases when I am close to the big vehicles I like to sacrifice a motorbike, you know, make sure there is a gap for a motorbike and do my best to keep them between me and the big vehicle. otherwise I overtake em very fast

Sorry? I am having problems understanding this. You are saying you drive around in a 4x4 and instead of leaving a safe distance you would consider killing a motorcyclist as a sensible way to drive?

Wow! No wonder most of the posts here are road related with that sort of attitude.

Waking up in Bangkok-Pattaya hospital with a large head wound that had yet to be treated even though I had been there 4 hours. I found out later that I had insisted to the emergency vehicle I not be taken to BPH but to Memorial. I also found out later that open head wounds should be treated IMMEDIATELY as there is a very high risk of infection.

Money first, then we try and save your life.

One night I took what I perceived to be one hot mama, tall, curvy and sexy, only to find out

when we got into the boudoir that she was not a she.... Nuff' said....

You nailed him / her didn't you :-)

Building a nice house, having two strokes, being left part disabled, being told long haul flights were too dangerous and the wife leaving me. No where to return to in the UK.

The realization I'm trapped.

sorry to hear mate. Could happen to any of us. Keep your chin up. Hope ur luck changes

Walking into the bathroom while the elderly MIL was taking a shower.

Still have the occasional nightmare about that.

I was going past a little Moo Ban the other day and noticed a lot of the old ladies walking around topless. Saw a woman must have been in her 70's. Had one of the best firmest racks I ever seen hahaha. Couldn't kiss her with the beetle nut teeth though

To bellacissa. A close encounter with a snake is scary. But snakes are not known as attacking anything that they cannot consume. Just don't step on a really venomous one. This event is rare. Snakes are an important part of the ecology and they mostly feed on rats and mice. There are many snakes in Thailand. If I find one near my house I try to shoo them away. But not cobras, I let them wander off on their own.

I'm of the live and let live school of ecology and I've dealt with plenty of snakes (including rattlesnakes and water moccasins) back in Texas. But, there's something about the word "cobra" that makes my heart pound. It's probably the movies I've seen or the way they stand up and open that hood, but I really hope I never see one. That's one Thai experience I can do without.

A drunk army seargent pulled a gun on me and 2 Thai mates in a bar.I was just about to flip the table when the private hit him with a bottle.What are you gunna tell him when he wakes up.He fell over,same as last week.A month later saw him half hanging out of a jeep in broad daylight.This was in Korat.

Nearly getting wiped out by a truck on the 36 between Pattaya an Rayong, missed me by inches

What did I do ?

changed my under pants laugh.png

You should always face the traffic when changing underpants!

ME !! last week crossing Rama 4 , stopped looked right, good, nothing coming, i step out and was missed by about 5 fag papers by a motorbike taxi with passenger, flying up Rama 4 against the flow of the traffic, silly old me, so i sunk a few Jack/cokes later lol !!

Minibus trip from surat thani to Phuket, utterly terrifying, I swore and screamed at the driver most of the way. Hopefully hes dead now, he deserves to be..

Walking alone at night in Krabi and getting surrounded by 15-20 growling dogs.. managed to find a loose pole in the empty market i was walking through and much shouting and banging of pole got rid of them.

Riding around on scooter in day on Koh Chang, seen a sign saying 'Monkey world' so rode up to have a look, place was like a ghost town so thought I'd stop and have a nosy round. Got off bike and looked round to see where to go first and seen movement... It was a doberman, running at me full pelt. Will never forget the cold rush of fear that dropped through me. To be swiftly followed by another as a second one appeared also running, Got behind the bike and beeped the horn and basically screamed at them as they stopped and were barking angrily at me. Was yelling for help but no one appeared. Didn't seem like they were going to attack so got key into ignition and started bike. revving the bike and beeping horn and yelling Bah! at them seemed to be holding them at bay but still no one was coming to my rescue. Eventually risked getting onto bike but that made them come closer. after what seemed 5 minutes or more i edged bike round to face exit and risked going for it, luckily they only gave a half hearted chase

Being pushed sideways into an open alley, two more guys waiting, Machete across my throat, held against the wall whilst they emptied my pockets etc. What did I do ? absolutely nothing !! didnt move a muscle, well actually my anal muscles were working overtime.

After they had what they wanted they ran off, I got in the next Taxi and went back to the Hotel and thanked my lucky stars I wasnt dead in that alley. Never again have walked alone and late at night in Bangkok.

(incident in 2006)

Which city?

I was sitting on the roof to fix a loose tile and started to slowly slide towards the drop. Although very slow there was no way I could stop the slide.

Finally gave in and started shouting to wifey to throw me a rope from an overlooking window.

She must still love me as she kept hold of one end so I could pull myself back in.

Yeah! I know how you feel. I was doing my wood shingled roof with Linseed Oil when it happen to me. But didn't stop. Just lucky I landed in a soft area of piled grass.

So it was one of my most scariest times for me, but also one of the stupidest things I ever did to.

Archived