What was your scariest moment in Thailand?

I have had a few real scary experiences here makes it hard to qualify. But I will give one now maybe another one in a few days.

I met some people in Chiang Mai ,one was anthropologist who was studying the Akha his name was Jim. Well Jim took myself and 4 others up into the mountains outside Chiang Rai to see the Akha tribes he had made friends with. After 3 days there the others left and I stayed. After i was there another 3 days I was told to stay in my hosts house and not leave. Villagers started meeting in front of the house and after 2 hours I was told I had to leave. I came out of the house and was told to get in the back of a pickup and sit down.Then a bunch of villagers got in the pickup and stood around me hiding me.They drove out of the jungle and took me to a bus stop and was told to go back to Chiang Mai. I was told the drug lords in the village area were afraid I was trouble and were going to kill me so they basically made a human shield on the pickup to get me safely out of the village.

I should add though 3 weeks later I was left for dead in my hotel room in Pattaya by 2 women.Not sure if related or not.

I have more dangerous stories but will wait to see the response to this one first.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had a few real scary experiences here makes it hard to qualify. But I will give one now maybe another one in a few days.

I met some people in Chiang Mai ,one was anthropologist who was studying the Akha his name was Jim. Well Jim took myself and 4 others up into the mountains outside Chiang Rai to see the Akha tribes he had made friends with. After 3 days there the others left and I stayed. After i was there another 3 days I was told to stay in my hosts house and not leave. Villagers started meeting in front of the house and after 2 hours I was told I had to leave. I came out of the house and was told to get in the back of a pickup and sit down.Then a bunch of villagers got in the pickup and stood around me hiding me.They drove out of the jungle and took me to a bus stop and was told to go back to Chiang Mai. I was told the drug lords in the village area were afraid I was trouble and were going to kill me so they basically made a human shield on the pickup to get me safely out of the village.

I should add though 3 weeks later I was left for dead in my hotel room in Pattaya by 2 women.Not sure if related or not.

I have more dangerous stories but will wait to see the response to this one first.

'loveomsak'....... I like your style mate....Ha ha

I can believe your story, had a similar tail sort of thing, not in Thailand though....... In Balize, (then called British Honduras) on the border with a Guatemalan drug gang, luckily we, 4 of us were armed to the teeth and after a few hours of a Mexican standoff, (we never made contact, but we know they were there….. and they knew were we were) it was getting dark and they know we had better night fighting capability) they bugged out…. Sure we would have given as good as we got, but we were very lucky to walk away from that.

Fact is Thailand is still very lawless in places, in the north is one place, up in the jungle hills around Chiang Rai, even in and around Mae Taeng hills, I know a few mates have had some odd, even a little scary encounters with some not so friendly natives. I myself have had little more than a dirty look from some as I ride past on my bike, in what can be very remote areas.

My wife’s bother was, for the last 8 years working in drug enforcement, he did pull a face when I told him I ride in the hills around Mae Taeng, he told me never to stop for anyone up there, keep riding or turn around if things don’t look good and never ride in the jungle around Chiang Rai. Apparently its where a lot of the ‘bad guys’ go when the heat is on for them and they try and hide-out, then there’s your drug runners/gangs, illegals, skin trade and just <deleted>….. So yer it can get lawless very fast in the north of Thailand.

As for left for dead in Pattaya by two girls....... Ha ha Mate..... we've all been there.......

What happened after you woke up and stopped dreaming!

I can believe your story, had a similar tail sort of thing, not in Thailand though....... In Balize, (then called British Honduras) on the border with a Guatemalan drug gang, luckily we, 4 of us were armed to the teeth and after a few hours of a Mexican standoff, (we never made contact, but we know they were there….. and they knew were we were) it was getting dark and they know we had better night fighting capability) they bugged out…. Sure we would have given as good as we got, but we were very lucky to walk away from that.

Fact is Thailand is still very lawless in places, in the north is one place, up in the jungle hills around Chiang Rai, even in and around Mae Taeng hills, I know a few mates have had some odd, even a little scary encounters with some not so friendly natives. I myself have had little more than a dirty look from some as I ride past on my bike, in what can be very remote areas.

My wife’s bother was, for the last 8 years working in drug enforcement, he did pull a face when I told him I ride in the hills around Mae Taeng, he told me never to stop for anyone up there, keep riding or turn around if things don’t look good and never ride in the jungle around Chiang Rai. Apparently its where a lot of the ‘bad guys’ go when the heat is on for them and they try and hide-out, then there’s your drug runners/gangs, illegals, skin trade and just <deleted>….. So yer it can get lawless very fast in the north of Thailand.

As for left for dead in Pattaya by two girls....... Ha ha Mate..... we've all been there.......

Balize, not to be confused with total balls of course!cheesy.gif

I don't recall many but this one stands out.

I was still a tourist.

Taking a creaky old small wooden boat ferry from a small island in South Thailand towards the mainland. The pilot was a beaten down old man who didn't seem to have much to live for.

Well the sky was blackening, the seas were getting choppy, and the engine kept failing.

There were no other boats around and I don't recall that we had life jackets.

It wasn't one moment as the engine kept failing and it was taking longer every time for him to restart it ... it was more a very prolonged feeling that my time had come.

2 incidents on the Chaophraya river stick in my mind- the worst being on the express boat crossing from the Phra-atit pier to Pin Klao on the other side. The 'captain' must have been half asleep because he tried to cross between a tug and its large barges. Of course there's a big rope connecting them so he tried to reverse once he realized his mistake.

At that moment the engine stalled. The massive barge bore down on us, casual conversation between the passengers suddenly died as all the passengers jumped up and ran towards the back of the boat, fleeing the imminent collision.I reckon 90% couldn't swim! The 'captain' carried on trying to coax the engine into action. Everyone prepared to leap overboard as the enormous hull bore down on us. At the last moment the engine spluttered into life, the boat reversed into safety. Laughter all round.

The other incident I was standing on the pier as the boat arrived, the lad at the back threw the rope over the ......(.what do you call the cylinder shape object boats tie themselves to?), anyway, as the rope lowered itself down, my foot got caught somehow in the loop , I think the rope was turned over on itself, like a slip knot so the loop wasn't open as it should be. I couldn't free my foot, the pressure from the boat was too strong. The lad saw my dilemma, as I grimaced in pain, yelling' pai, pai bloy!' but several people were boarding and it took about 3 minutes before the boat could reverse,freeing my black and blue foot..

Everyone has their own road nightmare- years ago I boarded the bus from Nong Khai to Udon. At that time it wasn't dual carriageway, just 2 lanes,sometimes 3 lanes. The driver was plainly from Laos as he spent the whole time in the right lane, forcing oncoming traffic on to the hard shoulder. When he met a fellow bus or truck that couldn't or wouldn't succumb to his aggression, he would wait till the last second before swerving back into the left lane. I remember myself and several passengers arriving in Udon and looking at each other with that look that says, I can't believe we made it,! mopping brows and necks.

Living in Miami Mansions, very near Soi Nana iin the mid 90s, I ended sharing a room with 4 ladies of the night.It was fun, they were kind people as most Thais are, until one of them started to sleep with the owner of Hollywood Bar Johnny,an amiable Englishman. Unfortunately Johnny's mistress was not so amiable and arranged for thugs to beat up our friend. Suddenly the mistress burst through the door at 7.00 am one day with our friend badly beaten up and supported by 2 policemen from Lumpini station. "You see, I have connections!'' she screamed- and she did. 'Next time anyone messes with my man they'll be tied to the railway line going to Khlong Toei and will lose their legs''.

I remember the policemen's words to this day- 'clear laeeow'' ( all sorted/ finished).At that point I realized money was god.

Walking to Phu Phra Bat in Ban Phue district of Udon Thani years ago,I wanted to see the prehistoric paintings and great views. Alone in the hot sun, walking through the forest with no one around, suddenly 4 motorbikes with Thai youths overtook me and screeched to a halt. Dismounting, they approached, ....'oh jeez i thought!'-

-Please, can we take a photo together !'

25 years and not a scratch !

Balize, not to be confused with total balls of course!cheesy.gif

Is that it 'Chaingmai'? You call me a liar, but can't post your reasons. Or did you just think what you wrote was funny..... Really? So many one line posts!

I take it your assumption on what I wrote is based on your life experience and the countless videos you have rented over the years.

But please don't let you ignorance and limited life experience stop you, (it hasn't so far) on passing judgment on others from the safety in sitting anonymously behind your keyboard.

So come on .......Lets hear it...... your expert opinion!

It's a play on words and since it's called "Belize", I thought your Freudian slip was worth a punt!

But yes, northern Thailand can be dangerous, the border road into Mae Sai from the Queens gardens is one I recall - checked in at one end by army (complete with sandbagged machine gun emplacements) and checked out by the same, 22 kilo's further on, you have four hours to arrive, after which they come looking for you - at night the chopper is up and it's a shooting game as people smugglers/traffickers and drug convoys avoid the patrols, scary actually.

It's a play on words and since it's called "Belize", I thought your Freudian slip was worth a punt!

But yes, northern Thailand can be dangerous, the border road into Mae Sai from the Queens gardens is one I recall - checked in at one end by army (complete with sandbagged machine gun emplacements) and checked out by the same, 22 kilo's further on, you have four hours to arrive, after which they come looking for you - at night the chopper is up and it's a shooting game as people smugglers/traffickers and drug convoys avoid the patrols, scary actually.

Fair enough..... on the spelling......Spelling was never my strong point!

• 1 month later...

Archived