Suv Wndscreen Tint Needs To Be Replaced

Steve2UK

Hi All,

I finally completed my move from the UK to CM to live here permanently. Along the way, I have picked up a 2004 Ford Escape SUV - which has all-round black privacy tint with mirror effect from the outside.

As I'm now unlikely to get a position with either CIA or the Mafia, I'd like to change at least the windscreen (windshield) - and have some chance of seeing what's on the road in front of me in light conditions anything less than blazing sunshine. At the moment, evening driving is almost out of the question...........

Basically, I need the existing film completely removed and replaced with just a top-of-screen sunstrip and maybe just a much lighter tint for the rest (if at all?). Any tips on where to go in CM to get a good job done? I'm keeping this vehicle for the long term, so very satisfactory result is a bigger issue than cost - but I don't like to waste money either :o

Thanks in advance.........

Hi All,

As I'm now unlikely to get a position with either CIA or the Mafia, I'd like to change at least the windscreen (windshield) - and have some chance of seeing what's on the road in front of me in light conditions anything less than blazing sunshine. At the moment, evening driving is almost out of the question...........

Basically, I need the existing film completely removed and replaced with just a top-of-screen sunstrip and maybe just a much lighter tint for the rest (if at all?). Any tips on where to go in CM to get a good job done? I'm keeping this vehicle for the long term, so very satisfactory result is a bigger issue than cost - but I don't like to waste money either :o

Thanks in advance.........

Well done that man. Full windscreen tint is illegal in most of the western world and should be here. Appart from the problems you outline at night in bright sunshine the reflection off these windscreens into the on-coming motorists eyes is also agrivating even when wearing sun glasses.

The contractor will use "Cloudy (or is it milky) Ammonia" to remove the film.

Amnuay Motor Air has a great reputation. They recently opened their 2nd centre which includes a sealed and air-con room where they will fit your tint. Very important that no dust particles get between the glass and the tint.

They're located along the super highway nearly opposite Carrefour.

Edited by Loaded

It is illegal to have more than 40% tint on any car in Thailand, like most countries... But here it doesn't get any notice by cops at all.

Toyota told me the legal limit was 60% - that's why I have 60 - I like to kick it down gangsta style!

Naw, it's 40% I'm pretty sure.. I have 80%, which really keeps the inside cooler :o

It is illegal to have more than 40% tint on any car in Thailand, like most countries... But here it doesn't get any notice by cops at all.

Toyota told me the legal limit was 60% - that's why I have 60 - I like to kick it down gangsta style!

Naw, it's 40% I'm pretty sure.. I have 80%, which really keeps the inside cooler :o

It has been on again off again regarding 40%. Believe it is off again and 60% is still allowed.

It has been on again off again regarding 40%. Believe it is off again and 60% is still allowed.

It is all allowed :D

Highly recommend PPS on the Hangdong road (RTE 108 south) on the west side of the road , about 2 U turns after you pass Tesco Lotus travelling out of town.

Great service, very helpful and speak English too.

Ally

Ally (and others), many thanks for the recommendations. I got the windscreen tint replaced this afternoon at PPS in 90 mins flat - as is the new 40% 3M film + 80% top sunstrip (i.e. no dust, bubbles etc). Good and careful job for B2,500. No idea if that's expensive or about right, but I'm not complaining as I hope it's a one-off.

They told me that the original windscreen tint was 60%. I don't know about the laws as written or applied, but I will say that I never want to drive after sunset behind 60% again - a 3-hour nightmare-ish drive from Tak to CM in utter darkness was enough. If it hadn't been for tagging onto to the back of a fast-moving local bus with tail-lights from Las Vegas, I would have had to pull over and wait for dawn.

40% does me fine for now - and I'll face the blazing sun of the hot season when I get to it. Fortunately the Escape has very efficient aircon - not to mention a cute built-in box over the rear-view mirror for your designer shades...........

BTW, hadn't expected to spark off such a debate about %'s. I thought gangsta's were supposed to die in a hail of bullets rather than piling into the back of Somchai's unlit pick-up at 120kph? :o

Edited by Steve2UK

2,500 Baht for the film seems very cheap to me. Was quoted 7,500 baht for the Fortuner. Paid last year 9,000 Baht for the Suzuki Vitara. Any body has any experience re this?

My experience has been they quote me 500 bhat per window. That makes mine 2,500 baht. I think you got a 'farang' price...

They told me that the original windscreen tint was 60%. I don't know about the laws as written or applied, but I will say that I never want to drive after sunset behind 60% again - a 3-hour nightmare-ish drive from Tak to CM in utter darkness was enough. If it hadn't been for tagging onto to the back of a fast-moving local bus with tail-lights from Las Vegas, I would have had to pull over and wait for dawn

What are you doing with 60 % on the front driving window? That's crazy. I have nothing on that window. :o

Edited by Ajarn

I found there was a definite quality difference between the cheap film, and the one we ended up getting.

We paid 8,500 to have our sedan car fitted with the more expensive option, and are very pleased. The film really does help keep the inside of the car cool, which is especially noticeable when you have had it parked for a while. It also means we dont have to crank up the aircon as much.

On the previous car, we had a cheaper film bought at 2,500, which did not cool down the car, and didn't look as good.

I found there was a definite quality difference between the cheap film, and the one we ended up getting.

We paid 8,500 to have our sedan car fitted with the more expensive option, and are very pleased. The film really does help keep the inside of the car cool, which is especially noticeable when you have had it parked for a while. It also means we dont have to crank up the aircon as much.

On the previous car, we had a cheaper film bought at 2,500, which did not cool down the car, and didn't look as good.

I realise you're not implying I got the 'cheap' stuff..... Mine is an 80% +silver coating. Definately not the cheap stuff. That price was quoted by two of the top shops, on two different occasions. I believe it is a 'Standard price'.

Your experience may vary. :o

I may have been quoted the farang price, who knows - I do know that all the negotiations were carried out in Thai though, for whatever that is worth.

I do know that I had nothing to do with the film on the previous car, it was an all "mueang" deal, and the quality was not as good.

Just sharing my personal experience and letting people draw their own conclusions - if you got high quality film for that price, all power to you... :o

Went to Amnuay on the Super Highway yesterday and I really do think the discrepancy is because Companies have 4 or 5 different “grades” of film. I can speak Thai and my Thai wife went along to back me up and fill in when I’m lost . . They have a sign with the car models and the prices quoted for the different varieties re brand and quality; so think pretty fair for Thai and farang alike. After quoting the price one can usually get another discount, 10 to 20% seems standard. Indeed the cheapest ones are around the 2,500 baht for lets say 5 windows with a bit as sun cover at the front. Going up to the more expensive ones, let’s say 3M+ and the price shoots up to 8 or 9,000 baht. Another brand was even more expensive (for the top grade) at around 10,000 baht. Not sure if there is much difference between the one or the other; obviously they are trying to sell the most expensive ones; saying “it’s the best”

By the way, was impressed with there very clean, sealed tinting room.

2,500 Baht for the film seems very cheap to me. Was quoted 7,500 baht for the Fortuner. Paid last year 9,000 Baht for the Suzuki Vitara. Any body has any experience re this?

My experience has been they quote me 500 bhat per window. That makes mine 2,500 baht. I think you got a 'farang' price...

They told me that the original windscreen tint was 60%. I don't know about the laws as written or applied, but I will say that I never want to drive after sunset behind 60% again - a 3-hour nightmare-ish drive from Tak to CM in utter darkness was enough. If it hadn't been for tagging onto to the back of a fast-moving local bus with tail-lights from Las Vegas, I would have had to pull over and wait for dawn

What are you doing with 60 % on the front driving window? That's crazy. I have nothing on that window. :D

As I said in my first post, it was on the windscreen/windshield when I got it - the car is a 2004 model and the previous owner had it fitted; he was driving in Pattaya - I guess they do a lot of things differently there............... :o